Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

One time I kept a candle on top of my TV and a bunch of wax dripped down onto the screen. I tried getting it off with water, but that didn't work. I eventually figured out a great method that works really well.

Ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a gayer ogg oggilby
May 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

Heat it up with a lighter and it will slip right off?

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

No, because then it will just drip back down further and eventually dry back up again.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Scrape it off with a knife and whatever is left, heat it up and wipe it quickly.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

Scraping with the knife works fine to get the bulk of it off; the problem is the residue. You could try heating it up, but that actually could risk damage to your TV screen, and my guess is that when you tried to wipe it up, it would just smear a bunch more.

wake uppers
Aug 24, 2005

why don't you just tell us

andre patton
Jul 20, 2003
softly...as if I played piano in the dark

I would probably just use my fingernail.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Some cloth with really hot water on it?

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

Fingernail won't do it, and neither will water and a cloth.

The answer is, toothpaste. Believe it or not, dab a little bit on a towel, rub it over the wax residue, and then get a wet cloth and wipe it off. Wax = gone.

andre patton
Jul 20, 2003
softly...as if I played piano in the dark

BrandNewHero posted:

The answer is, toothpaste. Believe it or not, dab a little bit on a towel, rub it over the wax residue, and then get a wet cloth and wipe it off. Wax = gone.

Well then, mystery solved. Thread delivers!

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

You're drat right it does! Should I close the thread now?

EDIT: I've also been informed that peanut butter works, as well.

BlandMan123 fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2008 around 20:22

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

No, I'm sure people have lots more questions.

What kind of wax was it? Beeswax? Paraffin? Earwax?

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

It was just your basic, run-of-the-mill candle wax. Definitely not beeswax. Paraffin wax would have been cool; isn't that the stuff that they put in those little mini-foot spa things? You know what I mean, the things where you dip your foot in hot wax and it supposedly sooths your joints? I think they put paraffin wax in those.

homer mate
Jun 17, 2005

Can I Use Windex Instead of Toothpaste? Whats The Difference?

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

I've never tried Windex, actually. Thing is, I usually have a tube of toothpaste handy, whereas I don't have any Windex in the apartment. I also would suspect that it wouldn't work as well; it's too close to water as far as its consistency goes.

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

The Crossdressing Cop with the .45

Candle heat + Distance + Wet Rag = Logic

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

I'd stick with toothpaste. I haven't tried your method, and while it may work, I still think that flames near TV = bad news.

EDIT: I'm going to sleep now. Feel free to keep posting questions, I'll come back when I wake up tomorrow.

BlandMan123 fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2008 around 10:50

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

So if I were to go about wanting to drip wax onto my television set, which candle would you recommend I let burn for hours and hours without something underneath it?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

This is the same way you repair a scratched ROM disc. Toothpaste is slightly abrasive so if you rub too much you're going to have a nice scuff on your TV.

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine

mcrib is back! posted:

BrandNewHero posted:

I've never tried Windex, actually. Thing is, I usually have a tube of toothpaste handy, whereas I don't have any Windex in the apartment. I also would suspect that it wouldn't work as well; it's too close to water as far as its consistency goes.

Never use Windex on any TV/monitor screen you care about. It can damage the screen itself regardless of the type.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why did you have a lit candle on your tv?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mcrib is back! posted:

Toothpaste works because it normally has granules in it. Using it is actually like using a very fine sandpaper so you have to be careful since it can scratch plastics and will be visible if it is used improperly.

avssois
Aug 19, 2007
an endeavor

Does it remove it from the screen and the plastic housing? I too allowed a candle to burn too long unattended and it melted all over the TV. That was a while ago but I think there's some residue still on the housing I never got off.

Confirming Windex is useless.

homer mate
Jun 17, 2005

How about Scope Mouthwash

brad industry
May 22, 2004

You can use a hair dryer to soften it up and it will peel off. Then just use normal cleaners to remove the residue if there is any.

Charles L. Fuck
Dec 19, 2007

by Ozma

When this happens to me, I usually just piss on it. Works like a charm.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

mr. nazi posted:

So if I were to go about wanting to drip wax onto my television set, which candle would you recommend I let burn for hours and hours without something underneath it?

This is the kind of thinking that resulted in me having to make this thread in the first place!

change my name posted:

Why did you have a lit candle on your tv?

I honestly can't remember. I think the power might have gone out; I used to live on a big hill, and when the power'd go out, it would take PG&E like a week to fix it, because we were so far out there, so we'd light the place with candles.

I have no idea why I put it on the TV, though.

avssois posted:

Does it remove it from the screen and the plastic housing? I too allowed a candle to burn too long unattended and it melted all over the TV. That was a while ago but I think there's some residue still on the housing I never got off.

Confirming Windex is useless.

I *believe* so, but I'm not positive. I think that I used it for that as well, and I think it worked. It's worth a shot, at least. Worst case scenario is you scratch the plastic housing of your TV, and who really cares about that?

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

I've been having trouble figuring out if this thread is a joke or not (on the OP's part), but just in case it isn't I'll go ahead and recommend peanut butter. While I've never had wax on my TV screen, once you get the pieces of wax of something solid and all you have left is residue the oils in the PB will break down the wax and you can wipe the PB residue off with water water and a soft cloth.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

That actually makes perfect sense (peanut butter, that is). A good "Plan B" in case you're out of toothpaste. I'll edit my earlier post to include that.

CUM CURMUDGEON
Feb 6, 2004

by DocEvil

what about a big cup of cum? got a few of these lying around waiting for a good use.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

CUM CURMUDGEON posted:

what about a big cup of cum? got a few of these lying around waiting for a good use.

I see what you did there.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

CUM CURMUDGEON posted:

I prefer to use my own feces, but freedom of choice makes America great.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

BrandNewHero posted:

...I still think that flames near TV = bad news.

And yet you kept a candle on top of your TV?

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I don't watch tv - I want you all to know this so you can realize I am your intellectual superior. I do have some fabulous Yankee Candles though!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005
You must think I'm a dick.

If you get wax in carpet a washcloth with a hot iron will get it out. You put the cloth over it, then the hot iron on top of that. It melts the wax which wicks into your washcloth.

Toothpaste will not work as well on carpet.

homer mate
Jun 17, 2005

Can somebody answer me about the scope mouthwash thing. Listerine would also work (an answer not actually work against wax)

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

And yet you kept a candle on top of your TV?

What I meant was, now I think that flames near your TV is bad news. Back then, I didn't; however, after my unfortunate incident, I'm much wiser.

I have no idea about the Scope mouthwash, I'm sorry. I'll try that next time I get wax on my TV.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute

I can't imagine why people are voting this thread down. It delivers exactly what it promised and I, for one, have been wondering for <years> how to get wax off my old LG flattron

Quick question, though - would this method work for plasma/LCD tv's? I'm planning a wax party next week and I need to know if I should cover my television with a tarp

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

The real answer is to put more candles on the TV until the screen is covered in one big waxy mess. Then sell the TV as "art" and tell people that it's a comment on society's lust for quick, gory entertainment and the waxy filter that television puts over life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

Serrath posted:

I can't imagine why people are voting this thread down. It delivers exactly what it promised and I, for one, have been wondering for <years> how to get wax off my old LG flattron

Quick question, though - would this method work for plasma/LCD tv's? I'm planning a wax party next week and I need to know if I should cover my television with a tarp

Yeah, I don't know why people would vote this thread down either, but whatever. You can't stop the haters.

I've never actually tried on a plasma or LCD screen; intuitively, I'm guessing it might ruin it, but that's just a feeling I have. Once I get home tonight, I'll rub some toothpaste on my laptop and let you know if it ruins it.

«2 »