Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Links: The Old Thread · Buffy Season 8 · Angel Season 6 · Dr. Horrible · Dollhouse at Wikipedia

What's Dollhouse about?

quote:

In Dollhouse, Dushku plays a young woman named Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls." The Dolls have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments. They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds. On missions, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between tasks, they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

Beyond Dushku's character, the show will also revolve around the people who run the mysterious "Dollhouse" and two other "Dolls", Victor and Sierra, who are friendly with Echo. Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers, the operation is highly illegal and under constant threat from Paul Smith, a determined federal agent who has heard a rumor about the dolls on one end and an insane rogue Active on the other.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I love all of the above and I'm basically just a big Joss fanboy whore. Anyone with a forehead that big must be some kind of alien messiah or something.

Eagerly anticipating Dollhouse!

I've not read Angel Season 6 yet, I saw a couple of screens that made it look like the arwork wasn't too hot. I probably will eventually, though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'll carry the discussion from the last thread over.

Kate was arguably my least favorite part of the first season of Angel. It felt like her character was completely one dimensional. She went from 'Stereotypical Cop' to 'Stereotypical Stubborn Cop' to 'Stereotypical Cop With Family Issues'. I don't think they could have conceivably made her story arc any less interesting in terms of plotting. I appreciate the family element with her father biting it and all, but really, there wasn't much depth to the whole thing. The best part of her character was the fact that she nearly died and we got a classic Angel monologue out of the whole thing before she skedaddled out of town (well, Angel: After The Fall, blah blah blah).

Bottom line: Joss had the foresight to cut Doyle while his character was still fresh and not a shadow of Angel, but spent a little too long with Stock Cop Character #1.

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster
Dollhouse will be my first Joss Whedon show that I watch when it is still on the air and I am excited to experience the heartbreaking pain in real time when it is canceled too soon.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Wasn't Doyle cut because the actor had drug problems? I know the actor died of an overdose later, but I also thought that's why he was cut and Wesley was brought in. Man, what a different show that would have been.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Superrodan posted:

Wasn't Doyle cut because the actor had drug problems? I know the actor died of an overdose later, but I also thought that's why he was cut and Wesley was brought in. Man, what a different show that would have been.

Yeah, the rumor was that Glenn Quinn was going down the drain with the drugs and he started to take David Borneaz with him. He was fired and then he died something like a couple of weeks later.

Spaceboy posted:

Kate stuff

I agree that she was poorly played. It seemed like they had a plan for her in the long term (initially trusting Angel, then finding out he was a Vampire, then over time, having her come around and eventually join the group), but then she left and that was pretty much out the window. Had she played out over a longer period I think she could have turned into an interesting character - a sort of female Gunn.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Nobody panic, it was Joss's idea to do a new first episode for Dollhouse.

Joss Whedon posted:

Rutherford D. Actualperson: Joss. You are a legend in the industry, and your forehead is a normal size proportionate to your face. Tell me about the idea behind doing a new first episode. Didn’t you already shoot one?

Joss: Yes, Ruhthie, I did. And it was grand, simply grand.

R.D.A: Then why shoot another? Also, your teeth are whitish.

Joss: I said it was grand, I didn’t say it was comprehensible. I showed some scenes to David Lynch and he’s all, “whuh?” Bad sign. But I kid.

The fact is, I’m very proud of the ep we shot and the series is making me crazy with the excitement. But I tend to come at things sideways, and there were a few clarity issues for some viewers. There were also some slight issues with tone – I was in a dark, noir kind of place (where, as many of you know, I make my home), and didn’t bring the visceral pop the network had expected from the script. The network was cool about it, but not sure how to come out of the gate with the ep.

R.D.A.: So they made you do another. It’s Firefly all over again! Run! For the love of God, HE’S CALLING FROM THE HOUSE!!!

Joss: Wow. Good panic.

R.D.A.: I try. But I am genuinely concerned. Also your smooth skin and elegant hands are making me bi-curious.

Joss: Well, the idea to do a new first episode wasn’t the network’s. It was mine. I understood their consternation, and saw the gap between my style and their expectations, and I suggested I shoot a new ep and make the one I’d shot the second. It isn’t going to be buried, like the pilot of Firefly. It’s simply coming after another, slightly cleaner ep. And because unlike Firefly, it isn’t a two hour epic which introduces everyone to each other, the onus isn’t on the new ep to explain a million things.

The fact is, Fox ordered the series before we shot a frame and then, after the strike, I had literally two months to write and prep the whole thing. Which means simply that the network has to figure out what they might want to tweak AFTER it was shot, unlike a pilot. Buffy didn’t make the fall sched, Angel got shut down when they saw the second ep outline… it’s birth pangs. The network truly gets the premise (this is a whole new crew, as you know), loves the cast, is excited about the show – but they’re also specific about how they want to bring people to the show and I not only respect that, I kinda have to slap my forehead that I didn’t tailor my tone and structure to the network’s needs, since that’s something I pride myself on.

R.D.A.: You’re not just being the good soldier?

Joss: We both know from years of experience that I’m a crap soldier, though I am an accomplished fan-dancer. No, this is a very cold look at what’s going on, and it’s not an Us vs Them. The truth is, I’m in love with this world, and I don’t care how people get into it. I have a million things to say about (and through) all of these characters, and I don’t mind which ones I say first. I think I just turned in a pretty cool pilot script. [Editor’s note: that means someone TOLD him THEY thought it was cool. He has no judgement of his own. This is sad, but on the plus side, it was probably one of his writers, who actually ARE cool. So rest easy.]

There's a LOT more in the link above. There's plenty to argue about on whether or not the show's in trouble (answer: it's a Whedon show, of course it's in trouble), but you can't say the man doesn't know his fanbase. (Then again, who ever said otherwise?)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Superrodan posted:

In an interview with Joss about 'Angel' a couple years ago, he talked about Doyle in Angel. The trouble with Doyle was about half Glenn Quinn (and his rampant drug abuse) and half Whedon's own fault. Quinn did indeed have a massive drug problem, and was self-destructing and taking others with him, so the show was receiving pressure to let him go. At the same time, they began to run out of ideas of stuff to do with Doyle. He is essentially the same sort of character as Angel, and hits a lot of the same notes Angel does over the first season (i.e. both live in relative squalor and fight crime to help others, have a demonic other half that they're embarrassed about, both try to overcome their personal demons in order to save others).

I'm sure the drug thing probably didn't help it, but I know for sure they talk on the Angel DVD commentaries about running out of ideas for Doyle and needing to do something dramatic before it became Angel and Angel and Cordy fighting crime.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Well, I like the fact that even Joss Whedon can be humble and say "Okay, maybe this is just too loving incomprehensible."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm not really sold on Dollhouse, but I'll check it out if only for Eliza Dushku.

I just want more Firefly. 3 comics a year isn't enough dammit. :(

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I wasn't interested in Dr. Horrible at first because it had the word "blog" in it, but now after all the buzz I want to see it. I don't use iTunes though, is this going to be available for purchase anywhere else anytime soon? I heard about a DVD release, but I mean something in the near future, online?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Psimitry posted:

Yeah, the rumor was that Glenn Quinn was going down the drain with the drugs and he started to take David Borneaz with him. He was fired and then he died something like a couple of weeks later.

3 years later, actually

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So, Buffy never really interested me but Angel always has so I finally decided to sit through an episode. 1 season later on hulu and I'm hooked. Desperately trying to find the extra cash for the series boxset. Brooding heroes always get me =/.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Dammit, sorry. Don't know how this double post happened.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
Man do I hate Gina Torres, Jewel Staite is losing favor with me as well.

Edit: Nathan Fillon is pimp enough to have his picture on their twice though.

Jackdonkey fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 24, 2008

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Jackdonkey posted:

Man do I hate Gina Torres, Jewel Staite is losing favor with me as well.
Why do you feel that way?

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007

Alexandr posted:

Why do you feel that way?

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking, the episodes of Angel with her were especially troubling for me since they all said stuff like she's the most beautiful person ever. Also for Jewel Staite I just don't like her in Stargate.

Jackdonkey fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 25, 2008

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking

Then you're stupid, pal. Sorry.

Anyway, I just finished the last episode of season 5 of Angel. :sigh:

Lorney tunes...nooo. Good night, folks. :( Wes. :( Seeing his character develop the way he did was loving amazing. I guess I should start reading the comics. I hope they aren't utter poo poo.

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

the sexiest thing is trust

by way of DivisionPost posted:

R.D.A.: I try. But I am genuinely concerned. Also your smooth skin and elegant hands are making me bi-curious.

I imagined this interview being done by Jack O'Neill. Things started to break down after this line.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking, the episodes of Angel with her were especially troubling for me since they all said stuff like she's the most beautiful person ever.

While I've certainly seen more attractive people in the world, I don't find her to be "nasty looking." I do agree that they were kinda over-hyping the whole beautiful thing, but I just attributed that to the spell.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking, the episodes of Angel with her were especially troubling for me since they all said stuff like she's the most beautiful person ever. Also for Jewel Staite I just don't like her in Stargate.

I would describe her as beautiful as a matronly way, which is what I think they were shooting for with Jasmine, but she's not really anything special as an actress. Still better than Summer Glau by a mile though.

AquaVita posted:

Lorney tunes...nooo. Good night, folks. :( Wes. :( Seeing his character develop the way he did was loving amazing. I guess I should start reading the comics. I hope they aren't utter poo poo.

I like the Angel comics, but if I had to wait a month per issue I might not like them as much. My advice would be to buy them in sets of back-issues. I got the hard-cover with the first 5 that they put out recently and greatly enjoyed it.

Plato
Dec 6, 2007
They say you have a monster here. They say your lands are cursed. I am Beowulf and I'm here to kill your monster.
What da gently caress? He's working with Fox Again? I thought he swore them off after they raped everyone with firefly.

gently caress Fox

actually they should call it Fux!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Woodtopian posted:

Still better than Summer Glau by a mile though.

:nyd:

Plato posted:

What da gently caress? He's working with Fox Again? I thought he swore them off after they raped everyone with firefly.

gently caress Fox

actually they should call it Fux!

To be fair, the crew that ruined Firefly/Arrested Development/Family Guy is for the most part, gone. I read in an interview with Joss that the heads that are running Fox new are completely different from the ones he has worked with in the past and seem to be a thousand times more supportive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gina Torres is a goddess and I will fight any of you who says otherwise to the death.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Tabula Rasa or Spin The Bottle?

losercoop
Dec 2, 2002

Old and busted? or the new hotness?

Woodtopian posted:

Still better than Summer Glau by a mile though.
What the...That's crazy talk! Summer is my ideal girl. I can't think of one single girl on tv or film that I find more attractive.

losercoop
Dec 2, 2002

Old and busted? or the new hotness?
stupid double post

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

losercoop posted:

What the...That's crazy talk! Summer is my ideal girl. I can't think of one single girl on tv or film that I find more attractive.

To be fair though, the way she was costumed and whatnot in Firefly DID make it look like she was 15 (I actually thought she was until I looked on IMDB and found she's just a couple years younger than me). It wasn't until I saw her doing publicity for Serenity that I was like "Holy poo poo - she's actually pretty hot."

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just finished Hell's Bells, aka the Xander and Anya wedding episode, and now I fully understand the whole "Whedonverse relationships never end well" concept. Dammit, I liked them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Spin the Bottle.

Funnier, and more critical to the overall plot of the season. Although Tabula Rasa is funny too, it ends on a real downbeat.

Anyone else see many shades of the "Circle of Thorns" in the "Evil League of Evil" and Dr. Horrible's efforts to join? It struck me as almost exactly like the plot of the end of Angel season 5. Almost.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking, the episodes of Angel with her were especially troubling for me since they all said stuff like she's the most beautiful person ever.

I feel the exact same way. Her head is just so big, and her teeth are disgusting. Everytime she's on screen I usually cringe. Although I'm not sure if it's from her acting or her looks.

I feel the same way whenever I see Janice in the Sopranos.

Ain Paradisum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 26, 2008

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Rhyno posted:

Gina Torres is a goddess and I will fight any of you who says otherwise to the death.

As would I, and I'm a straight woman. She's the only reason I watched that Hostage negotiator romance show last fall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm working my way through Angel again, for the third(?) time, and I have begun to notice many, MANY, discrepancies in what we have seen in flashbacks, and what characters have told each other. The biggest is from Buffy season 1 when Angel says that ater he was re-ensouled, the Gypsy girl he fed on was the last time he ever drank human blood. Well that was a big fat lie, wasn't it?

We know that during the Boxer rebellion, when we joined back up with Darla because he wanted to try to be evil again, he fed off of murderers, thieves, and rapists to "prove" to Darla he was still Angelus, but she saw right through him and tried to get him to kill a baby but he wouldn't do it.

Then during WWII he fed (and turned!) that guy from the submarine who's name I can't recall. Later, in the 70's, he fed off of that cashier from the doughnut shop after he was shot and killed.

There's also issues with when/how vampires need to be invited. The worst offender I can think of is when Jenny's uncle is murdered by Angelus. He just walks right into his apartment without being invited at all.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

DrBouvenstein posted:

He just walks right into his apartment without being invited at all.

It's a hotel, he didn't need an invite.

Ain Paradisum fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 27, 2008

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ain Paradisum posted:

It's a hotel, he didn't need an invite.

Really? I don't recall ever seeing anything that implied/said it was a hotel room. I'm not saying it wasn't, I just don't recall.

Of course, if we try hard enough, we might even be able to think of a circumstance where a vampire couldn't enter a hotel room anyway.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I think it's in Angel S3 (the first episode maybe) where Angel stands awkwardly outside Fred's room in the Hyperion waiting for an invite. Maybe it doesn't count as a hotel, though.

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Spin The Bottle. Much funnier, and a much better analysis of the characters. Not to mention Tabula Rasa pushed the whole "blank slate" philosophy of there being something that spiritually and innately makes a person WHO THEY ARE, which is utter bullshit.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Then during WWII he fed (and turned!) that guy from the submarine who's name I can't recall.

What ep was that? I recall thinking that it was some crazy poo poo at the time. "I was a weapon for the US government" just comes out of nowhere.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
Why We Fight, I believe. 5th season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster

Ryan-RB posted:

Spin The Bottle. Much funnier, and a much better analysis of the characters. Not to mention Tabula Rasa pushed the whole "blank slate" philosophy of there being something that spiritually and innately makes a person WHO THEY ARE, which is utter bullshit.

I thought it was funny that they all had retained knowledge of how the world worked but didn't know vampires really existed.

• Locked thread