Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I finished working my way through all of Angel, and now I'm on to Buffy (cause unlike Angel, there's several episodes I haven't seen.) But I was reminded of something that really bugged me when I first watched it, and bugs me still.

In "Earshot," Jonathon is in a clock tower with a rifle to (presumably) kill students. But then he admits he was just going to kill himself. Umm....bwa? You go to a clock tower, with a scoped rifle to kill yourself? Not buying it. I can buy the clock tower part...wanting to do it in a secluded spot...but a rifle? It would be very hard to position a rifle to kill yourself, and why the gently caress would it have a scope?

You're assuming it was a rifle. For all we know Jonathan might have been packing a magic laser beam that just happened to be encased in a rifle enclosure mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Stonefish posted:

I only just read it five seconds ago.

Yes, I fell for that misdirection.
I just read it and while they were obviously trying to imply it was Dru, I figured it might be Willow because:
a. Why wouldn't they show her face? "Revealing" Dru wouldn't have worked well because it would have been too obvious.
b. There was some foreshadowing earlier with the "it's all my fault", and a couple of somewhat more blatant hints on the second to last page.
c. It doesn't seem likely that Dru (or even moreso some random new baddie) would end up "way more powerful" than Willow, especially given how much of a Willow fanboy Joss is.

But anyway, it was a good issue and I'm really liking the comics so far, although "Wolves at the Gate" was a little too much on the wacky side.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 15, 2008

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
"Unless I can fall down and throw-up my way out of here, I got nothing."

I love poo poo like this. I can completely hear Nicholas Brendon saying it.

Edit: Also, Jonathan trying to pull the trigger on that huge rifle with his outstretched toe would have been worth price of admission.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Jonathan should have received far more punishment for the hijinks of Storyteller.

Perhaps Season 6/7 and the Nerds of Doom is the consequence for letting a guy who casts a spell that changes the world go scott free. A la Peter Parker and Uncle Ben. Magic always has consequences.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just finished Buffy S7, it definitely feels more focused that S6, which helps a lot. Then when Caleb shows up near the end, it's just concentrated awesome.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Jonathan should have received far more punishment for the hijinks of Storyteller.

Perhaps Season 6/7 and the Nerds of Doom is the consequence for letting a guy who casts a spell that changes the world go scott free. A la Peter Parker and Uncle Ben. Magic always has consequences.

Storyteller is the season 7 one about Andrew. I believe you mean Superstar, which is one of the better episodes of season 4.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

redshirt posted:

Joss should have received far more punishment for the hijinks of Storyteller.

Seriously, "Transformers" had the correct quantity of Tom Lenk in it. Three lines and a gay joke. then he was gone.
Buffy is a brilliant show, but those three fuckers weren't helping any. They were worth an episode. Each, at most. (Hi, have you seen Warren?)

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
My girlfriend and I have been working our way through Angel from the beginning, we're about seventy percent through season 2 at the moment, and goddamn but it's frustrating watching it with her. Maybe it was because I watched it weekly when it was first run, but she seems to pick up on subtleties and proceeds to guess the following forty minutes of plot because of it. Specifically, we watched Epiphany, which, from the lead in at the tail end of the last episode, made it look like Angel was de-souled because of his Darla boning. Her exact words when she saw him sit up and freak out were, 'Well, that wasn't perfect happiness, that was just a good hate gently caress.'

She's done it a few other times as well, with Lockley's storyline and the whole suicide attempt, Lindsay and Lilah surviving the massacre in Holland's basement, Boone betraying Wolfram and Hart at the charity ball for the halfway house. I think she called the little kid in the demonic possession episode before the first commercial break. So what I'm saying is I'm either dumber than I feel, the show was far less subtle than I remember, or she's some sort of interesting plot machine breaker. I can't wait for the whole Jasmine arc, I'm hoping the whole maybe ultimate good scenario confuses her enough to not be able to make gross leaps of logic and ruin it all.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Anomalous posted:

My girlfriend and I have been working our way through Angel from the beginning, we're about seventy percent through season 2 at the moment, and goddamn but it's frustrating watching it with her. Maybe it was because I watched it weekly when it was first run, but she seems to pick up on subtleties and proceeds to guess the following forty minutes of plot because of it. Specifically, we watched Epiphany, which, from the lead in at the tail end of the last episode, made it look like Angel was de-souled because of his Darla boning. Her exact words when she saw him sit up and freak out were, 'Well, that wasn't perfect happiness, that was just a good hate gently caress.'

She's done it a few other times as well, with Lockley's storyline and the whole suicide attempt, Lindsay and Lilah surviving the massacre in Holland's basement, Boone betraying Wolfram and Hart at the charity ball for the halfway house. I think she called the little kid in the demonic possession episode before the first commercial break. So what I'm saying is I'm either dumber than I feel, the show was far less subtle than I remember, or she's some sort of interesting plot machine breaker. I can't wait for the whole Jasmine arc, I'm hoping the whole maybe ultimate good scenario confuses her enough to not be able to make gross leaps of logic and ruin it all.

I don't want to make you feel like an idiot or anything, but those were all pretty easy things to pick up on and guess. You can usually guess what is going to happen by asking yourself "if i was writing this, what little twist could i add in?" It's that way for a lot of t.v. shows.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it was pretty much the only show I watched with any sort of regularity back then, so maybe I was just unused to the inundation normally gotten by watching a lot of formulaic plot play out. I worked eleven hour days and read an unbelievable amount because of the job, so it was a lot of fresh surprises for me in a twisted but familiar setting, which really drew me in. I'm enjoying it greatly the second time around, but figured any sort of foresight I had now was because I'd seen most of it the first time around.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
anyone going to serenity con this year?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

Storyteller is the season 7 one about Andrew. I believe you mean Superstar, which is one of the better episodes of season 4.

Indeed, my mistake. And I agree - Superstar was a great episode. But nonetheless, he changed the entire world through magic for selfish reasons. Did Jonathan go through a Dark Magic cycle like Willow? He obviously has the natural aptitude for magic, like Willow, and he pulled off a major league spell; did he get addicted to magic, like Willow? And if not, what does that say about Jonathan "vis a vis" Willow?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

redshirt posted:

Indeed, my mistake. And I agree - Superstar was a great episode. But nonetheless, he changed the entire world through magic for selfish reasons. Did Jonathan go through a Dark Magic cycle like Willow? He obviously has the natural aptitude for magic, like Willow, and he pulled off a major league spell; did he get addicted to magic, like Willow? And if not, what does that say about Jonathan "vis a vis" Willow?

that women are inferior. :c00l:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Willow's downfall was a lot of magic overuse over a long period of time. It got to the point when something bad happened, she pretty much broke down and lost control of the magic. Her rehabilitation was more about curing the addiction and helping her understand where the raw power came from, whereas Jonathan never really lost control, he just performed a spell he didn't really understand - yes, for selfish reasons - but because he hadn't really lost control of the magic, he didn't really need rehab, just a swift kick up the pants. It's kind of the mad/bad dilemma of the Buffyverse. Unfortunately, Jonathan didn't get that swift kick up the pants, and went on to gently caress everybody's poo poo up in season six.

With regards to the comments about Jonathan, Andrew and Warren being annoying characters, I'd have to agree on the Warren front, but I still liked Jonathan and Andrew.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
Jonathan wasn't really evil though, he kept fighting Warren when it got too far. Andrew on the other hand, was a spineless bitch and I"m still pissed that he killed Jonathan and got to be a star.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Bunnita posted:

Jonathan wasn't really evil though, he kept fighting Warren when it got too far. Andrew on the other hand, was a spineless bitch and I"m still pissed that he killed Jonathan and got to be a star.

I wouldn't say being everybody's bitch in Season 7 is really being a star. Though the fact that he's everybody's bitch is part of the reason I like him.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Just watched the musical episode for the first time in a few years.

Willow gives Tara magical floating cunnilingus. How the hell did I miss that?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Crimson Chin posted:

No idea. Though to be fair, something that was apparently supposed to come off as naughty or sexy came off as incredibly juvenile and lame to me.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Crimson Chin posted:

And the line she's repeating, "you make me complete" gets cut off right before "plete" :laugh:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Riptor posted:

And the line she's repeating, "you make me complete" gets cut off right before "plete" :laugh:

When I first saw that, I was catching early morning reruns on FX and had to dive into a pillow in order to not wake the whole house. Or the rest of the block.

How the hell did they get away with that?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Psimitry posted:

No idea. Though to be fair, something that was apparently supposed to come off as naughty or sexy came off as incredibly juvenile and lame to me.

Yeah, that is easily the worst part of the musical.

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster

Patrovsky posted:

I wouldn't say being everybody's bitch in Season 7 is really being a star. Though the fact that he's everybody's bitch is part of the reason I like him.

I didn't really like that his punishment for cold blooded murder was basically being tied to a chair for a few days.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Or the fact there's a perfectly fine Police Station they could've turned him over to... you know.. for murder.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Or the fact there's a perfectly fine Police Station they could've turned him over to... you know.. for murder.
The show tends to be pretty heavy on the redemption angle if there are any extenuating circumstances. Angel, Spike, Willow, Faith, Giles to some extent, etc. Andrew was being manipulated by the First when he killed, so I guess they figured that was enough reason to let him come back to the fold.

I mean, if you really want to get into the trying-to-be-objective morality angle, both Willow and Angel (at least) are arguably too dangerous to be allowed to live, but given peoples emotional attachments I doubt many people in or out of the fictional setting would see things that way.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 24, 2008

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm burning through Angel right now, mostly because where I am in Buffy really doesn't grab my interest, and now that I'm at Season 4 of Angel I feel sick. I just want this plotline over. Somehow Cordi, even the real Cordi, isn't that important to me. Her being evil, and the black chick popping out, just doesn't feel that interesting.

To be honest I just love tortured/badass Wesley, and I keep watching for him. I can't believe Joss made me go from hating everything he says to being my favorite character.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, you and everyone* else. Magic Bullet is cool, but that's in spite of the rest of the arc.

Season 4 has it's moments, but they mostly involve Gwen Raiden, Angelus or Faith (Who's name is apparently Lehane).

*Vocal loving minority....

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Stonefish posted:

Yeah, you and everyone* else. Magic Bullet is cool, but that's in spite of the rest of the arc.

Season 4 has it's moments, but they mostly involve Gwen Raiden, Angelus or Faith (Who's name is apparently Lehane).

Gwen's last name is Raiden? It's like she's a Marvel character...

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Yeah, that was pretty weak.

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster

Andrew_1985 posted:

I guess the problem with that would be explaining why the principal of the school would have moved the body to a shallow grave in the desert and why exactly the murder took place over a giant, evil looking seal.

It also seemed weird that Willow felt comfortable walking around town after she single-handedly sieged the local police station.

I guess the police there really are deeply stupid.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
The police were looking for a brunette :v:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Crimson Chin posted:

"Lost in ecstasy/Spread beneath my willow tree"

Joss Whedon, master of subtlety.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

To be honest I just love tortured/badass Wesley, and I keep watching for him. I can't believe Joss made me go from hating everything he says to being my favorite character.

Stonefish posted:

The stuff with Angelus is my favorite part of season four (even if they didn't do Angelus quite like Buffy season two, he's still an awesome villain). In my opinion, the fight with him vs. Wesley and Faith almost beats out the ridiculous fight scene from Apocalypse Nowish solely on the line, "Uh, oh, vampire with a gun!"

After Angel gets his soul back in Orpheus, the arc gets a tad stupid. But Magic Bullet, Peace Out, and Home redeem it in my book.

Also, Joss named her Faith Lehane because he wanted Faith to have a Southie name. Eliza Dushku is from Boston, so I guess that makes sense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stonefish posted:

REPRESENT! Season 4 rules!

All I need say is "No Spike" and we could work our way from there. But!

Jonathan.

I loved his character, pretty much from beginning to end. I was hoping for the great big redemption at the end, but was denied by the surprise cowardly murder. Twas effective, Joss!

Jonathan appears in a surprising amount of early episodes, often in the background getting abused, and his rise first at the end of Season 3 (right in the mix of battle), then the hijinks of Season 4, and then the horrors of Season 6. He was going for the redemption thing, but loving Andrew got in the way.

Jonathan was a background cliche at the beginning of the show. By the end, he's got episodes to himself (and others, but much Jonathan) - some good character development over the seasons.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

redshirt posted:

REPRESENT! Season 4 rules!

All I need say is "No Spike" and we could work our way from there. But!

Jonathan.

I loved his character, pretty much from beginning to end. I was hoping for the great big redemption at the end, but was denied by the surprise cowardly murder. Twas effective, Joss!

Jonathan appears in a surprising amount of early episodes, often in the background getting abused, and his rise first at the end of Season 3 (right in the mix of battle), then the hijinks of Season 4, and then the horrors of Season 6. He was going for the redemption thing, but loving Andrew got in the way.

Jonathan was a background cliche at the beginning of the show. By the end, he's got episodes to himself (and others, but much Jonathan) - some good character development over the seasons.

If you can get your hands on the 'original' pilot, the one that has fat Willow and no Angel, Jonathan is in the line for the Bronze.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
He didn't last as long as Harmony though. and if you want to get technical, Oz.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2008

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ug. Harmony. Should have been dust Angel Season 2, at the latest!

One of the few good Spike moves (staking her) -- too bad about the ring.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
gently caress that bullshit. That would have led to an Angel season 5 without Harmony and one of the funniest episodes of the season (Harm's Way).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Harm's way was awesome, but after 3 months of no new episodes just after "Destiny", it was a bit disappointing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I really liked Harm's Way, and Harmony has been a lot of the laughs in S5 Angel. Something about her "vampire who is trying to be good but isn't" thing is a nice change from "vampire with a soul seeking redemption".

I just finished You're Welcome and I have a question. Cordi was apparently never woke up, but still somehow Angel and his crew beat Lindsey. Do the other AI guys remember Cordi waking up, or did Angel hallucinate it and beat Lindsey in another way, or something else? If it's answered in the later episodes then just say that, but after the shock of the ending I felt confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I really liked Harm's Way, and Harmony has been a lot of the laughs in S5 Angel. Something about her "vampire who is trying to be good but isn't" thing is a nice change from "vampire with a soul seeking redemption".

I just finished You're Welcome and I have a question. Cordi was apparently never woke up, but still somehow Angel and his crew beat Lindsey. Do the other AI guys remember Cordi waking up, or did Angel hallucinate it and beat Lindsey in another way, or something else? If it's answered in the later episodes then just say that, but after the shock of the ending I felt confused.

I think it is pretty much left to your imagination. I saw it as her spirit helping him out.

• Locked thread