Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just finished Hell's Bells, aka the Xander and Anya wedding episode, and now I fully understand the whole "Whedonverse relationships never end well" concept. Dammit, I liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just finished re-watching Angel Season 3 and started Season 4 again. I was so glad when the Groosalug finally left. He really got on my nerves... although not as much as Connor!

Seconding both of these comments. I started season 5 yesterday after finishing s4 and Buffy s7.

It's been a long ride, but it's almost over.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Well I've finally finished the entire 256 episodes of Buffy and Angel, and I'm thoroughly depressed that there aren't anymore. I felt that they were both started to peak in their later seasons.

Buffy best episodes:
Hush
The Body
Once More, With Feeling
Selfless
Chosen

Angel best episodes:
A Hole in the World
Time Bomb
Not Fade Away
You're Welcome
Orpheus

Now I have to find something else to watch.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

cool kids inc. posted:

It's good to see so much Angel season 5 love in your post, because believe me I agree in that it's the best, but there were some EXCELLENT episodes in earlier seasons. Spin the Bottle for instance is probably one of the funniest things I've seen on tv, and even as early as season one there was some greatness. Hero was so good, and even if the circumstances surrounding it were a little less than desirable, Doyle's death scene was sooooo good.

I also enjoy the early Wes/Cordy interactions (particularly "What's a rogue demon?" and their laugh at the Buffy/Angel relationship) because she's such the perfect foil to him. I kinda wish they'd spent more time on their interactions in You're Welcome because it really was a cool dynamic.

I particularly enjoyed the Fred/Illyria arc (as if it isn't obvious) - A Hole In The World was incredibly depressing, and easily my favourite episode by a long shot. You're Welcome was a great callback to Cordelia's earlier seasons in the show, before all the Beast/Jasmine crap went down. I did enjoy season four a lot, but I felt the connections between the two villains felt a little tenuous, as if the theme suddenly changed halfway through. Both arcs are great on their own, but linked, they're a lot weaker.

But the character death episodes were all fantastic. The show did great character deaths. Differently handled to the Buffy deaths, but that's not to say that the Buffy ones were poorly handled. Just...different.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Which two villains? The Beast and Jasmine/Cordy?

Amen to that. Some awesome deaths! I also liked the way Whedon played with TV conventions regarding death. Tara's, for example.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a bigger character's death in Buffy Season 7. Willow would have been a logical choice, but alas, instead we got Anya's blink-and-you-missed-it demise.

I'm with you with the episode "Selfless", but I think "Chosen" is a shaky story with a lot of plot holes and deuces all machined up.

Yes, the Beast and Jasmine. With the Beast we've got all this darkness and gloom, and the Beast is supposedly being controlled by someone else, and then the true mastermind is revealed, and her motive is about world peace, and it doesn't really make sense that she'd use all that doom and gloom if there was another way to achieve it.

With the Chosen love, I'm a real sucker for series finales. It doesn't matter how contrived they are, as long as they've got a bit of an epic feel, I'll love it. I'll agree though, Anya's death did suck, especially seeing as she was my favourite character. I was listening to the commentary though, and Joss noted that Anya was the only main character he could kill (barring Spike, I guess) and still have it qualify as a happy ending. Anyone else, and Buffy would just be depressed.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

I see where you're coming from. To answer, we could take a character's answer - Jasmine said it was all "birth pangs": labor pains in giving birth to a God. Maybe this is true, but Jasmine is an unreliable witness in this, and so much else.

We could look at also as the show presented it, which was the Beast was her henchman for a while, following her commands, doing her bidding, and then getting taken out by Angelus -- which was perhaps his real role in her plot. Who was to be Jasmine's final bad guy before her birth. She went through a bunch (Skip was another; one assumes there were many more).

The two are clearly connected from the start in that Cordy goes to Connor's "birthplace" at the precise time the Beast comes crashing out of the Earth. He clearly makes eye contact and it could be argued acknowledges her, and most importantly, does not instantly kill her. Connor should have been more suspicious of this, but alas... Connor.

Ultimately, with Jasmine's hypno power o'love, it did not really matter how she came about, as long as she came about. What came before was quickly forgotten by her new subjects, and if she had succeeded, would have been erased for all time.

I personally think everything major Connor did, the Beast did, and Cordy did in Season 4 were parts of a magic spell designed to bring about Jasmine. But that's just a theory.
Oh, I understand how the whole thing went down, and how seasons 1 - 4 were supposedly leading up to it, but I felt that the themes felt really disimilar, which made the transition between villains a little jarring.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

SecretFire posted:

Andrew.

He wasn't really a main character though.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Low Key Liar posted:

does anybody else think spike is one of the goddamn funniest characters ever? especially in season 5 of Angel.

Yes. His season 5 interactions with Angel are fantastic. For posterity:

Spike: It's bollocks, Angel! It's your brand of bollocks from first to last.
Angel: No, you can't ever see the big picture. You can't see any picture!
Spike: I am talking about something primal. Right? Savagery. Brutal animal instinct.
Angel: And that wins out every time with you. You know, the human race has evolved, Spike!
Spike: Oh, into a bunch of namby-pamby, self-analyzing wankers who could never hope to...
Angel: We're bigger. We're smarter. Plus, there's a thing called teamwork, not to mention the superstitious terror of your pure aggressors!
Spike: You just want it to be the way you want it to be.
Angel: It's not about what I want!
Wesley: Sorry. Is this something we should all be discussing?
Angel: No.
Wesley: It just sounds a little serious.
Angel: It was mostly... theoretical. We...
Spike: We were just working out a - Look, if cavemen and astronauts got into a fight, who would win?
Wesley: Ah. You've been yelling at each other for 40 minutes about this.
[pause]
Wesley: Do the astronauts have weapons?
Spike, Angel: No.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

EccoRaven posted:

And I still dislike how he was Buffy's bitch in S7 and then coincidentally he gets to have the heroic death, while one of Buffy's critics dies alone.

Writers :arghfist:

I love Spike when he's not being so Buffy obsessed, but with the Buffy criticism, I felt that Anya's line about Buffy being luckier than everyone else instead of just better pretty much summed up how much of a self-important twit Buffy could be. Thus, it's one of my favourite lines of the series.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Tokubetsu posted:

Puppet Angel is the greatest loving thing to happen ever. I really don't think tv gets ANY better. "Is there Gepetto in the house?" Season 5 is already my favorite.

It gets better. I only finished season 5 for the first time last week, and A Hole In The World is probably my favourite episode of anything ever.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

cool kids inc. posted:

Also, I'm not sure if anyone caught it, but the actress who played Cecily was also the actress who played Anya's fellow vengeance demon buddy who's name escapes me at the moment. She and Spike have an odd "you look familiar" moment in season 7 of Buffy.

In the season 6 episode where Dawn inadvertantly gets them all trapped in the house, there's a brief exchange after Halfrek shows up:

Anya: But cursing us? Some of them are in the wedding party.
Halfrek: I just go where I'm- (Spike walks in) William?
Spike: Hey, wait a minute.
Buffy: You guys know each other?
Halfrek: Ah, no.
Spike: Not really.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Jonathan should have received far more punishment for the hijinks of Storyteller.

Perhaps Season 6/7 and the Nerds of Doom is the consequence for letting a guy who casts a spell that changes the world go scott free. A la Peter Parker and Uncle Ben. Magic always has consequences.

Storyteller is the season 7 one about Andrew. I believe you mean Superstar, which is one of the better episodes of season 4.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Indeed, my mistake. And I agree - Superstar was a great episode. But nonetheless, he changed the entire world through magic for selfish reasons. Did Jonathan go through a Dark Magic cycle like Willow? He obviously has the natural aptitude for magic, like Willow, and he pulled off a major league spell; did he get addicted to magic, like Willow? And if not, what does that say about Jonathan "vis a vis" Willow?

Willow's downfall was a lot of magic overuse over a long period of time. It got to the point when something bad happened, she pretty much broke down and lost control of the magic. Her rehabilitation was more about curing the addiction and helping her understand where the raw power came from, whereas Jonathan never really lost control, he just performed a spell he didn't really understand - yes, for selfish reasons - but because he hadn't really lost control of the magic, he didn't really need rehab, just a swift kick up the pants. It's kind of the mad/bad dilemma of the Buffyverse. Unfortunately, Jonathan didn't get that swift kick up the pants, and went on to gently caress everybody's poo poo up in season six.

With regards to the comments about Jonathan, Andrew and Warren being annoying characters, I'd have to agree on the Warren front, but I still liked Jonathan and Andrew.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Bunnita posted:

Jonathan wasn't really evil though, he kept fighting Warren when it got too far. Andrew on the other hand, was a spineless bitch and I"m still pissed that he killed Jonathan and got to be a star.

I wouldn't say being everybody's bitch in Season 7 is really being a star. Though the fact that he's everybody's bitch is part of the reason I like him.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Stonefish posted:

Yeah, she stole Buffy's middle name, remember? Seven years, from first to last appearance on the show. That's a pretty good run.

Seth Green still wins though. 1992-2000. He was on for longer than Angel was.

I thought his scene in the original movie was cut.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Don't forget that Illyria and Fred keep "switching" if that's the right word.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

LividLiquid posted:

For what it's worth, I did. Several times. And that Wes would be back.

I heard that if they had had a season 6, Wes wouldn't have died, so it isn't really that he would have been back

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Those bastards!

At least we have a Spike: After the Fall before then, right?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Well I liked Andrew, and I didn't hate Kennedy. Buffy, Dawn, and to some extent, Riley, were the only characters I disliked over the course of the series. Everyone else was pretty awesome though, so that made up for it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Uncle Ulty posted:

But don't forget that when he started Buffy, Joss wanted to add Jesse to the opening credits of the pilot episode only to kill him off in episode 2. So credits or not, anyone is fair game.

And Tara was killed the same episode she was added to the opening credits.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Clamknuckle posted:

A million times this. I went from cursing Joss for killing Doyle and replacing him with Wesley of all people to crying like a baby at his final scene.

Would you like me to lie to you now?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

scarymonkey posted:

I love Joss, but can we all agree that Andrew is horribly horribly annoying. Whenever he went on screen at one point I literally started counting in my head till he got off the screen. Then I read that Joss at one point was considering a spin off with the Andrew character, and I go wha? wha? Did the actor like secretly suck some important dick and has some black mail pictures or something? Does anyone like actually like Andrew? And if you do, was it hard coming out to your parents?

I like Andrew.

Not gay. Female, but not gay.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Brennen posted:

B5 is Babylon 5 and it ended in 1998.

And it's not as if the "spoiler" is either important to the overall plotline, or in any way important to the plotline at all.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I read Fray before I saw Buffy or Angel, and I wasn't so bad off. It's probably what encouraged me to actually buy the Buffy season DVD. That, and Firefly.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Hey, did you know that the devil built a robot?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Psimitry posted:

El Diablo Robotico......why?

Nobody ever tells me anything.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Cavemen win. Cavemen always win.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

STAC Goat posted:

I think it makes sense with what we knew about that culture. Remember Inara comes from the same weird archaic culture that leads to sword duels over a woman's honor. The whole world had that odd mix of future technology and celebrating things of the past. A culture that teaches men to settle minor disagreements with a duel to the death with swords could well be a culture that teaches "proper" women to hunt and defend themselves with a bow and arrow. Almost more as some kind of weird, upper class novelty than a practical self defense practice.

Seems almost Amazonian as well. Because there's nothing in the world that empowers females more than companionship.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Wait, so you're saying that Ben and Glory are somehow...related?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Wes, did you ever hear that the Devil built a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Rhyno posted:

El Diablo Robotico...

Nobody ever tells me anything.

• Locked thread