Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Stonefish posted:

then of course, there was that "flame-o-gram" Angelus sent way back when. explain that one :)
It looked awesome. :drac:

For a vast majority of "Why did the Buffyverse do/have/look like X?" questions, I'm betting that was the answer at the time, even if they came up with other explanations later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

At this point, I'm really looking forward to the Dollhouse DVDs, with the commentaries, behind-the-scenes looks at stuff, and the extra episodes that Fox didn't air before canceling the show.

That box set is gonna rock.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Snak posted:

I fell in love with the show because of the headshot mal scores effortlessly without breaking stride at the end of the pilot.

That, and the "unexpectedly kick the henchman into the engine" move from "The Train Job" did it for me.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

Although I have to say Connor at the tail end of Season 5 was well placed in my opinion, storyline wise.

Absolutely agreed on this point. The two episodes he was in there for were the best his character ever was (with the exception, maybe, of the season 4 finale), and his role in the finale was completely fantastic.

That's one more on the long list of things I love about Angel season 5--it makes me retroactively like things that I didn't before.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

The Fray arc really confused the hell out of anyone I knew that hadn't read Fray.

The obvious solution, then, is that they should read Fray. :colbert:

No, really, if they have any Buffy/comics interest, they should. It's easily one of the best Buffy-related things in comic form (along with the Faith arc of Season 8 and Tales of the Vampires, IMO). Even if they didn't end up liking that "time travel future Willow lots o' questions no answers evil!Riley?" arc, they might still like Fray.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

I HATED TGIQ at the time of airing. I mean, worst Angel episode ever. I have since had a change of heart about it, and find it's a pretty funny episode. I still think the placement of the episode is terrible - it's the third to the last episode ever, and right before the final two in which the final plot is quickly shoehorned. They could have used this 3rd to last episode to build upon that final plot rather than some comedy stand alone.

Yeah, TGIQ wouldn't have been grating if it happened sometime in the first half of the season. It's got some pretty drat funny bits to it.

And if Andrew had just loving died in Buffy, but that's neither here nor there.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

greatn posted:

Would I be correct in assuming there's a lot of Connor/Dawn on the internet even though the two characters never met?

Have fun with the first ten of 108,000 Google results for "Connor/Dawn fanfic".

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Buffy characters in Angel:

Faith also shows up in season one, and Wesley becomes a bigger character across the entire series than he ever was on Buffy.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

There is no deeper meaning or explanation to the bunny fear, and we weren't supposed to even try to infer any deeper meaning or explanation into it from anything in the show--bunnies are cute, and Anya (a former demon) is afraid of them because that's wacky. The only reason she had a lot of bunnies as a human was for the sight gag of "she hates bunnies now, but back in the day, she loved them . . . more wacky!" It's a joke. That's all.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Anyways, then I decided to give Aftermath a shot, since I liked After the Fall. Storywise, I'm not sure what they're doing just yet. As for the artwork: people complained about After the Fall's art being atrociously bad, but Aftermath made me cringe in a few places. The penciller really struggles with Boreanaz, and it's kinda getting on my nerves. Also, his Kate looks nothing like Elizabeth Rohm, but at least his Kate is not bad.

You said you're not sure about the story yet, but do you have a feel on the writing/characterization in general, apart from any overarching plot? After the Fall was kind-of a disappointment to me in the way it was written, and I'm wondering if taking it out of Hell and putting it into a somewhat more familiar setting is helping the comics crew get a better handle on things.

Also, is :argh:Kate:argh: as obnoxious as on the show?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

"Wild at Heart" is a good one, and Angel has the "Spin the Bottle" one as well.

Really, the precious few ones that had the actors are great.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I also really enjoyed the commentary for Angel's season five episode "Soul Purpose" featuring Boreanaz (who also directed said episode), Christian Kane, and the writer.

I didn't know about that one. Have to check that out.

Is there any list out there on one of the Whedon fansites of the Buffy/Angel DVD episodes with actor commentary? Google didn't help much, but surely someone on the internet has put something like that together.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Can somebody explain to me why everybody hates Angel for Angelus' actions? I can see not trusting him because of the possibility that he'll go all Angelus again, but Angel and Angelus are different beings entirely- why the hating Angel for something done by a demon who occupied his body?

Because the shows/characters are somewhat inconsistent in the way they treat the human/vampire/ensouled-vampire split. Especially comparing Angel and Spike's situations.

Xander and Giles were the only ones with relatively pragmatic views throughout the whole thing (albeit for different reasons): "There's always a monster underneath and even if he has a souuuuuuul now, that can change. So the :drac: bastards can either gently caress right off or get staked."

Of course Giles gets poo poo on in season 7 for this re: Spike, but I'd still say he made the right call.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

ImDB has revealed to me that Amber "Tara" Benson and Adam "Warren" Bousch are dating and cohabiting. :ironicat:

Something about that's downright unsettling.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Gay Satan posted:

Luchadores?

"The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco" was an amazing episode that deserves no such slander. :colbert:

The Lorne Hulk was crap, though. It wasn't the worst episode of season five, because it didn't take place on a stupid loving submarine, but it was close.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Definitely add "I Will Remember You." It gives you more Doyle, it kind-of sets things up for "Hero," and your friend liked Buffy, so why not hit all the crossovers?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

Joss Whedon does not allow couples to be happy unless they are or have become secondary characters (like Riley and Mrs. Riley). Simon and Kaylee are the exception that proves the rule.

Simon and Kaylee aren't even an exception. They've been a couple for about thirty seconds of screentime in Serenity. Even Wesley and Fred's Shortest Tragic Relationship Ever lasted longer than that.

If there was ever going to be a Serenity 2, River would blast Kaylee out of an airlock and Simon would choke to death on a fig or something.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

It made sense except for the part where he's a soulless undead killing machine incapable of feeling until the female writers fell in love with Marsters.

That's not entirely true . . .

You're forgetting about all the Spuffy shippers who fell in love with him, too.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

I really liked Beer Bad :shobon: I think I'm the only person who did!

There are others like us out there. It's a funny episode, not meant to be taken seriously in the slightest, and ends with the punchline of Buffy bonking a guy on the head. It's like "The Zeppo" . . . and anyone who doesn't like "The Zeppo" is just wrong. :shobon:

"Where the Wild Things Are" is terrible, however.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I think Dawn was annoying as all hell in Season 5 and much of Season 6, but she was pretty great in 7, and that went a long way toward redeeming the character in my eyes.

It's because she's part Buffy, so she and Buffy have to share their awesome. Dawn starts with none in season five, and slowly leeches it away from Buffy, until Dawn's pretty drat cool in season seven and Buffy sucks.

It's just a mystic reality of the Buffyverse, like that conservation of magic thing they explained in "Get It Done."

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I buy that it was misdirection, but it was lame, poorly executed, pointless misdirection that completely ignores the fiction of show because Joss and his writers had a big old crush on Spike.

:golfclap:

The Spike love on Buffy grew to be maddeningly obnoxious by the end of the series.

The hell of it is, too, when he moved to Angel, I started liking the character again. Even the stuff I didn't like beforehand--like him actually going through the trials to get his soul back, and not to remove the chip--I was fine with on Angel. It all felt more like a character actually making an effort to grow, instead of writers making an effort to get Spuffy shippers to squee harder.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

Also, gently caress Kennedy. Just putting that out there. :colbert:

Surely this is something we can all agree on. Kennedy sucks, and they can't make us love her after the show's over, no matter how many geek!shirts they draw her wearing in the season 8 comics.

Maybe it would be better if we all did love her, though. Joss was never going to kill her off when she was hated. :(

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I would actually be happiest if either we never learn due to an explosion/giant snake devouring Twilight. Or if the big unmask comes and it's no one we've met or have any reason to care about.

Kind of like with the Flash in the animated Justice League. "I have no idea who this is."

That was a great moment and would have been cool in the book, but sadly it was not to be.

--Angel--? Seriously? Why?

I liked my "not really dead, I was just loving with you" Ethan Rayne idea better. :colbert:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

White-Lightning posted:

But then that last episode and we get to season 5 and it gets so many more times as awesome. I mean as soon as I saw Spike I started giggling like a school girl. How the gently caress could it get canceled after THIS season??

You wanna hear something really :psyduck:? If I'm remembering right, Angel was the WB's highest-rated series (or at least drama, or something like that) at the time of its cancellation.

And Smallville is somehow still chugging along in its fifty-seventh season. :argh:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Czar Like Stick posted:

Buffy S4 has some great stand-alones, it's just the Initiative plot that sucks.

Yeah, it's like the opposite of season 5. In 4, you get some of the best individual episodes of the entire series (including the best, in "Restless" :)), but the main arc of the year is kinda pointless and the major conflict in said arc (at least, as far as relating to the Initiative is concerned) is Riley's, not Buffy's or anyone else's.

Whereas I have to think a bit before I can even name an episode of season 5* (outside of "The Body" and "The Gift," of course), but the main storyline is fantastic.

* After wracking my brain for a minute or two, the only one that came to mind was "Buffy vs. Dracula." :downs:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

White-Lightning posted:

Yeah for real. Unless maybe it's only the people who went to that one dude, forget the name, but the one Willow went to who's place moves around and stays invisible? I thought about this a while ago and that's the only thing I can think of, but makes sense to me I suppose.

Rack. Because he ran a Rack house. :v:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Plus, Angel still likely blames him for the whole "bringing Darla back" thing, with everything that that included.

My dad had gotten into Angel towards the end of the series, and hadn't seen anything to do with him. But as soon as Lorne shot him dead, he turns to me and says, "There was a woman involved in that, wasn't there?" I think that's a major part of it . . . Angel never forgave him for that, and when it came to "Not Fade Away," it was time to do a Godfather-esque settling of all debts.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

You mean he hunts rogue demons?

I liked the Angel RPG's version, where "Rogue Demon Hunter" was a premade demon character who hunts other monsters, thus answering the question "What's a rogue demon?"

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I agree but earlier in the thread one of his producers was quoted saying that if Joss hadn't done anything they would've been renewed without a hiccup.

Except there was no way for him, or anyone, to know that without either being psychic or asking.

Plus, it's pretty much the height of insane troll logic to have someone ask "Hey, I need to know just in case, is the show actually coming back?", get answered with "Well, it totally 100% was in secret, but then you wanted to know and now it's not!" and blame the cancellation on the first party.

quote:

and Gellar didn't even show up to that cast reunion party thing a while back.

Which one was this? I know she was at the big Paley Center "Buffy reunion" thing.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Because (and I forget if this exact point came up at any time in the series, I am in dire need to a rewatch, so I might be wrong wrong wrong but who cares) it is the most common fact about magic: you can never get something for nothing. Things frequently went pear shaped when they did piddly little spells about nothing, who knows what havoc might have happened if they zapped up the GNP of a small African nation.

thedouche posted:

I just watched the Superstar episode (which is awesome/hilarious), Danny Strong is fricking great. It's also an example of why you don't use magic to generate wealth.

True, though you could have Willow try (even succeed to some measure) at it as an example of her just not giving a gently caress about the consequences of magic-ing everything that season. Hell, she's raised the dead, what does she care about little problems that might arise from trying to get something for nothing? She can just magic them away! :downs:

Doing things like that would also be ostensibly to help her friends, which would make it more in character for her, less immediately obviously a bad idea, and significantly less lame than Willow going down to get her magic fix at the local cRack house.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Also, Marti Noxon is a boob.

True, but she gave us "The Wish," which owned, so I can never fully hate her. :shobon:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

That's kind of why I love The Wish. Instead of the cliche "learning a lesson in the alternate universe" It's A Wonderful Life crap, we just get a nice alternate universe with all the regular characters. It foreshadows lesbian Willow, Dark Willow, introduces Anya, shows that the prophecy gets fulfilled no matter what (Buffy dies), and is generally just really fun and shows how much worse off they'd be without Buffy. Plus I love Giles' line at the end when Anya asks him if reality might be worse off than the wish universe. "It has to be."

Pretty much all this. "The Wish" works for me because it has a lot of fun character stuff--Giles's hope for a better world, a bleak Sunnydale without Buffy, a bleak Buffy without Sunnydale/her friends, hosed-up Willow/Xander, the darkly funny bizarre superstitions that come from a town constantly scared for its life and nonsensical behavioral controls foisted on the students in the name of their security (You shouldn't wear bright colors because of vampires; You're not allowed to drive a car because of vampires).

And, of course, Cordelia only making it about halfway through the episode that takes place in an alternate world she wished in, in a nicely funny/hot/disturbing biting scene. That's definitely a feature and not a bug to me.

Plus, Alyson Hannigan in leather.

quote:

It also gave us an excuse to see The Master again, and I love that guy. I don't remember why Darla isn't in the episode though.

I always assumed Angel finally gave up on Buffy and started fighting The Master's forces and killed Darla before eventually getting his rear end captured. It's a fanwank, sure, but not really implausible, given what we see of the wish-world.

I also figure Spike and Dru just stayed the gently caress away. :v:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I particularly liked the bit at the end of The Train Job with Mal, the relentless thug, the engine intake, and the quick-learning thug.

I know "The Train Job" was a rushed, throwaway kind of episode created entirely because Fox decided to scrap the actual first episode of the series (luckily something like that could never happen again! :v:), but even after watching all of "Serenity" first (the episode, not the movie), that part up there? With the engine and the FWOOOMPH? Is what made me realize I was gonna love the show.

Really, anytime Mal does something psychopathic is fun. Stabbing that dude multiple times in "Shindig" . . . shooting the surrendering soldier in Serenity (the movie, not the episode) . . . it's all good times.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It also has the unique position of being the show with the worst fans ever.

Looks like someone needs to read the fandom!secrets thread . . .

Or not. You'll feel better about life that way.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

redshirt posted:

That might be it, in fact. Anyone confirm/deny?

"The Harsh Light of Day" from Buffy goes into whatever that Angel episode about the Gem of Amara is called.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Chajusong posted:

Well, there's the really obvious Fool For Love/Darla cross over in season 5, which is pretty integral to the story, and Dru does kind of go back and forth from Sunnydale to LA a bit during that season, too.

Oh, right! That was a really fun one to watch as it aired. :)

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Were there ever any books or comics that showed Dawn in seasons 1-4, I always thought that would be kind of interesting. I suppose 1 and 3 would be pretty much the same but the whole Angelus thing would have been more crazy I think.

Just imagine, if Joss were more like George Lucas, any future DVD releases of Buffy seasons 1-4 would have Michelle Trachtenberg CGI-ed into the picture.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

If they had the money to do it, I could see Joss and the crew putting that in as an easter egg in maybe a few episodes in some non-existant, future "Super Special Edition DVD set" or something. No characters would interact with her, she'd just stand in the background and they'd shove in a line of her saying "yeah, that's cool!" during an awkward pause between the other characters.

I'd watch it and it would be awesome. Especially if they just used current footage of Michelle so she's clearly a twenty-something and not 12/13/14 (of course, she has a young face so she still wouldn't look that old...but still older than she did in season 5-7.)

Oh, yeah. As a joke, it'd be funny. :)

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Yay Pudding! posted:

When was this? S2 I'm guessing?

Yeah, in "Passion," after the Jenny display Angel leaves for him.

One of the best episodes of one of the best seasons. Just loving awesome.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Spaceboy posted:

For once in my life I can say "I'm happy that I stopped right before it got to the loving". Who thought that was a good idea, seriously? Sure, it probably sold a bunch of copies to fangirls bu-- ohhh, I get it.

The vast majority of Buffy fangirls are probably pissed the all-sex issue wasn't about Buffy and Spike (or Angel and Spike), so it doesn't even really make sense from a fanservice perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Cowboy Guy snipe.

"I'm looking for a man . . . a salesman."

When I was 16 and "Restless" first aired, I thought it was absolutely terrible. Obviously, I was retarded at 16, because "Restless" is the best Buffy episode.

• Locked thread