Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Woodtopian posted:

The way I've interpreted it is that when a human becomes a vampire, they turn into a demon. The human being doesn't get shunted out by one. When Liam is turned, a new being, Angelus, who is Liam the evil demon is created. Does that make sense? It's like in Conversations with Dead People, when Buffy is psycho-analyzed by the vampire guy. He's the old him, but he's instinctively evil. And instincts don't rule a person, they just influence them.

Re: The comic con season eight news that Jane Espenson will be writing an arc after the Fray crossover that will feature the world at large becoming aware of vampires and slayers, I think this is a terrible idea. It's basically going to turn the Buffyverse into another superhero universe. With both Buffy and Angel, I wish they would stop expanding the scale of the stories and just reel it back a little. Also, did Angel and company just die or something in the season 8 Buffyverse? Post-Apocalyptic L.A. is really stretching the believability here.

Season eight of Buffy runs alongside season five of Angel. Angel was basically disowned by Buffy and the others in the episode where Angel and Andrew track down the insane slayer, but post-apocalyptic L.A. hasn't happened yet. Even so, the last issue of After The Fall showed that psychic fish thing calling out to people outside of L.A., but to all appearances, L.A. is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Red Pyramid posted:

I've been considering picking up the new hardback for After the Fall but the art just kills me. It's like deviantart level trash, complete with bad photoshop and an almost total lack of likeness for the actors. So tell me, does the writing make it worth it?

No. That book sucks through and through. The art changed after an issue or two, but it's still not great.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Malloci posted:

I just finished Firefly and Serenity and prior to watching it i was uneasy about the synopsis "Sci-Fi Western". Though, I was very pleasantly surprised after finishing the season and film.

It sucks that it was prematurely canned, it seems that had it not of been it could have gone on to accomplish many seasons.

I still and very intrigued on who book really was.

The common theory is that he was an operative who left to be something of a cloistered emperor.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Tokubetsu posted:

Just finished season 2 of Angel..I'm really loving this show more and more. I can see myself picking up Buffy just to draw all the connections. God drat I do miss Doyle though. Gunn hasn't grown on me yet and part of me misses sad and despairing Angel =/. Is Fred a romantic interest? PLEASE SAY SO!

For Angel? No. Not at all. Angel's relationship with Fred is that of a protector more than anything else. Now, for other characters? You'll see if you continue on.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

chesh posted:

Regarding the comics, are there finished arcs, and what are they? I've been putting off picking up the Season 8 because I need the complete arc when it comes to comics, and I had a feeling that once-a-month was going to turn in to whenever-we-get-around-to-it. Am I wrong?

No, they've been pretty consistently on time. So far, there have been 3 completed story arcs:

#1-4 - The Long Way Home (available in TPB, with #5)
#6-9 - No Future For You (available in TPB, with #10)
#12-15 - Wolves at the Gate (available in TPB in November, presumably with #11)

Time of Your Life is the current arc (#16-19) and will conclude in October. #5, #10 and #11 are all one-shots.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Brennen posted:

Thanks for the information. I'm just starting to get into these so excuse my dumb questions, but is that hardcover "First Night" a seperate series in addition to After the Fall, or is that the continuation from where the first hardcover left off (chapter 5)

First Night is a break in the story where they tell the stories of what happened to various characters on their first night on Hellbound LA. They're mostly stupid and ugly.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

I never realized that the kid who played Connor is now Pete on Mad Men.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Shame the commentaries are all so poo poo. Writers describing scenes and saying lines as they happen is not what commentaries are for. And not having commentaries on season finales is just strange.

The ones that Whedon does solo are ok, although he sounds tired and bored in all of them.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

AnimeJune posted:

I thought it was quite consistent - Xander's the only "real world" character, i.e. the one who's not a witch or a demon or a slayer or a vampire or some other super secret magical thingy - therefore, he's the one who succeeds the most living the real world.

It's funny, those later seasons have an inadvertent message that subverts the idea of compulsory higher education. Xander doesn't go to college, but he gets a job, makes money, moves up in the ranks and--aside from the hijinks that his friends get him into and living in his mother's basement--leads a pretty decent life. And I'm sure if he weren't mixing it up with vampires, he'd have his own place.

Buffy and Willow go to college but don't come out with skills to become real people. They effectively treat it like another term of high school and get nothing from the experience except for debt. Buffy finds herself in a financial crisis, Willow finds herself addicted to what amounts to narcotics, neither of them obtain any benefit from college.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Xander does have his own place. A nicer place than anybody on the show save the Vampires or Giles.

I guess he does, doesn't he? I haven't watched the later seasons in a long time. I guess I was still thinking of Season 4. Well, even better for Xander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So, I've loved Firefly for a while now, and finally decided to bite the bullet and try a different Joss show. I bought seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy last night. Does this show take a while to get into, because I'm a few episodes into season one and it's pretty dull so far.

Season 1 is cheesy and although it sets up some plots which come into play over the course of the series, it's not that good. Season 2 is much better and season 3 is the peak.

• Locked thread