Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Superrodan posted:

Wasn't Doyle cut because the actor had drug problems? I know the actor died of an overdose later, but I also thought that's why he was cut and Wesley was brought in. Man, what a different show that would have been.

Yeah, the rumor was that Glenn Quinn was going down the drain with the drugs and he started to take David Borneaz with him. He was fired and then he died something like a couple of weeks later.

Spaceboy posted:

Kate stuff

I agree that she was poorly played. It seemed like they had a plan for her in the long term (initially trusting Angel, then finding out he was a Vampire, then over time, having her come around and eventually join the group), but then she left and that was pretty much out the window. Had she played out over a longer period I think she could have turned into an interesting character - a sort of female Gunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking, the episodes of Angel with her were especially troubling for me since they all said stuff like she's the most beautiful person ever.

While I've certainly seen more attractive people in the world, I don't find her to be "nasty looking." I do agree that they were kinda over-hyping the whole beautiful thing, but I just attributed that to the spell.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Woodtopian posted:

Still better than Summer Glau by a mile though.

:nyd:

Plato posted:

What da gently caress? He's working with Fox Again? I thought he swore them off after they raped everyone with firefly.

gently caress Fox

actually they should call it Fux!

To be fair, the crew that ruined Firefly/Arrested Development/Family Guy is for the most part, gone. I read in an interview with Joss that the heads that are running Fox new are completely different from the ones he has worked with in the past and seem to be a thousand times more supportive.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

losercoop posted:

What the...That's crazy talk! Summer is my ideal girl. I can't think of one single girl on tv or film that I find more attractive.

To be fair though, the way she was costumed and whatnot in Firefly DID make it look like she was 15 (I actually thought she was until I looked on IMDB and found she's just a couple years younger than me). It wasn't until I saw her doing publicity for Serenity that I was like "Holy poo poo - she's actually pretty hot."

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Drei posted:

I think it's in Angel S3 (the first episode maybe) where Angel stands awkwardly outside Fred's room in the Hyperion waiting for an invite. Maybe it doesn't count as a hotel, though.

I think at that point, they had technically become apartments. Who knows.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of, good lord did Charisma start looking good in Season 3. I mean she was always pretty on Buffy but wow did she look great on Angel.

I actually think her costuming and whatnot was specifically chosen on Buffy to reduce her hotness so as not to upstage SMG. When she moved to Angel, that restriction was no longer there. Still, I thought the whole "LOL CORDELIA IZ HAWT" bits started to get a little old.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

dimeat posted:

All the original actors except for SMG voiced their characters. Too bad this wasn't made, it would have been interesting.

Seriously? It sounded exactly like her. The only one I thought was a replacement was Giles.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

preggos

loving DIE.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

There's a reason why I always say that Angel S4 is by far the worst of the series. But that's ok because you'll hit S5 soon and I've always said it's by far the best.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Brennen posted:

I just want to make sure i understand, they build up to the enjoyable chapter 5, leave you with an "oh drat" moment, then decide to take the next few months to stop that story and go back and look at what happened the first night?

If this is the case, it even sounds like a terrible idea.

It's actually not a TERRIBLE idea - I for one was kinda wanting to know what happened between the final episode of S5 and the first issue, and the fact that it drops the big hint that there's a slayer in town (although probably not THE slayer, just A slayer) could prove to be very interesting.

The problem was that the art in most of those stories was terrible and didn't REALLY let you necessarily know what the gently caress was going on.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Low Key Liar posted:

"Actually, I kinda want to slay the dragon."

BUT HE DIDN'T :iiam:

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Crimson Chin posted:

Just watched the musical episode for the first time in a few years.

Willow gives Tara magical floating cunnilingus. How the hell did I miss that?

No idea. Though to be fair, something that was apparently supposed to come off as naughty or sexy came off as incredibly juvenile and lame to me.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

gently caress that bullshit. That would have led to an Angel season 5 without Harmony and one of the funniest episodes of the season (Harm's Way).

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Spaceboy posted:

B) Angel dies. The Senior Partners decide that Angel can't die, so they bring him back (or refuse to let him die). Alternately, Angel dies and goes to Hell, but since they're in Hell, it's no big whoop.

Where's he gonna go? Detroit?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Gordon Shumway posted:

So I just saw that Joss is apparently none too happy with some of the things people were coming up with for Dollhouse:

Holy crap. I take this as both good and bad. Good that Whedon wants the show to measure up to his standards, but bad that things like this usually lead to bad press and in the case of Fox, early cancellation.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

ShardPhoenix posted:

mega-hot girls called "Alyson Hannigan"

Then I hope you're watching "How I Met Your Mother." With the exception of the first half of last season (in which she had one of those really awful "Nelly Furtado in the 'Say It Right' video short bangs, long hair" haircuts), she's never looked better.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Now I'm going to probably cry (again) when I get to near the end of Season 5 and Illyria show's up.

Well just take comfort in knowing she would have come back.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Royal Ransom posted:

Felicia Day is in another web series called The Legend of Neil

http://www.effinfunny.com/legend-of-neil

Unless that is followed by "Patrick Harris," my response is "meh."

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

richardfun posted:

Huh, when did that happen? Must've dosed off...

You missed the part where he punched THROUGH her head? (that is what happens isn't it? I know he punches her from behind, killing her)

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

bobaclone posted:

I'm so sad there's nothing new for me to see now. And I read that Serenity bombed in theatres so I'm guessing there goes any hope of any follow up movie, even of the straight to video kind. (This is somebody's cue to correct me)

IIRC it didn't do THAT bad in the theaters. It obviously didn't find and keep legs like the Batman movies did, but it wasn't a colossal failure. Anyway, I don't think it was expected to be a huge success in the theaters. Movies like that never do all that great in theaters. They make their money in DVD sales. For example, Serenity was an HD-DVD Launch title. That definitely says something about it.

Unfortunately though, I don't really think it did well enough to generate a sequel (although rumors keep popping up every once in a while).

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

well true, but look at like Kevin Smith's movies. They know that they're going to lose money when they go to the theatres. Most of his movies recently have budgeted like 30 mil and according to his Q&A movies, the Weinsteins are happier than pigs in poo poo if it makes ANY profit theatrically because they know they will make a profit when going to DVD sales.

In truth, something like this or the aforementioned Kevin Smith movies, studios don't usually have a problem greenlighting things like this because they know that they'll make a small profit (even as little as 5 mil), and they know there's a chance it'll strike and they'll get 40 Year Old Virgin money.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Dude.. people are still complaining that Star trek: the original series got cancelled. It's 40 some odd years old now...

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Bunnita posted:

She was Joss caving to special interest groups. From what I remember he wanted Willow to not necessarily be gay, but that the person she fell in love with happened to be another woman, which I think is incredibly more romantic. However he got a lot of poo poo so he threw in Kennedy.

I've always thought that should have been the way it was - that Willow just happened to fall in love with a girl and she didn't identify herself by her sexuality.

Kennedy was just.. ugh.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Gassire posted:

Sometimes they're right though, as it is on the DVD the first episode of Firefly would have been a terrible show premiere.

Agreed. When I first watched it, I thought it was horrible. I thought it was overly boring, didn't pick up at all until the end, and I positively HATED Mal.

It wasn't until I watched it the second time around that I had any appreciation for it. "The Train Job" on the other hand was somewhat enjoyable and I started to like the series. What it gained with that however was totally lost with "Bushwhacked," and I almost didn't continue to watch it (to this day, I regard it as the worst of the series). But after watching "Shindig" I was totally hooked.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

No, BSG (at least the first two seasons and about half of the third) are loving BRILLIANT.

It's taking some hits recently as I don't think they're able to do much of what they want due to budgetary constraints, but the show is/was drat good.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'll probably watch it at some point. Should I watch the miniseries first?

Oh god yes. You'll be totally lost without it. (well maybe not totally lost, but it'll be tough)

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

It was on Friday nights and the ad campaign made it look like a comedy. They were set to Walking on the Sun by Smashmouth and played up the "space hooker" thing for christ's sake. I figured I'd give it a chance but it just looked like a goofy space comedy that aired when I was out partying. I never saw it until the pilot aired last even though I was a big Buffy fan.

For me it was two things: 1. If I'm not mistaken, it ran with Fast Lane, and I was going to be raped by a donkey if I was going to watch something from the creators of "The Fast and the Furious."

2. The commercials for it. Good lord, it looked lame. Especially since they had the shot of naked River in the cryo chamber and the voice over said "And now they finally have SOMETHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR."

My eyes rolled just about as far back into my head as they would go. I didn't even hear that Joss had any involvement until later.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: EDIT: OR we can forget that Joss has about as lovely a taste in pop music as I do and watch this new Dollhouse trailer FOX released.

In other music related news, I really dug the music in that trailer.

And as for having lovely taste in music, everyone is allowed to have some albums that they like but are lovely. Unfortunately it seems like on the internet, you're not :coal: unless you like the most obscure of indy bands or the opposite being nothing but metal/techno.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Is there anyone that worked for Wolfram & Hart that that show won't hire?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

uXs posted:

Question is now: should I watch Angel as well ?

God yes. Ask a fair amount of Buffy-verse fans, and you'll find a fair amount of people that say that Angel was the superior series.

Granted, I still say that season 4 is incredibly AWFUL, but it's no worse than Buffy season 7.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Gorbash posted:

You'd expect someone of superhuman strength and fighting ability could somehow find a better use for her talents than slinging burgers, though, even in Sunnydale.

Agreed, but that wouldn't be "funny."

But yeah.. construction comes to mind...

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Alexandr posted:

Season 5 of Angel was the best thing ever, if for no reason than the emergence of a new character the likes of which the show hadn't yet seen: Indigo, time-shifting, indestuctible Old God. :hellyeah:

And the fact that she gets called a smurf.

Well.. that and smiley time. Smiley time is the best thing ever.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Erm... I don't think it was supposed to be logical.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

I think she is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Internet male sighted.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

Actually, I think that's an objective statement - how could anyone argue against it?!

Edit: Cordelia being super hot, that is.

It was the adjective/phrasing. Internet males will commonly shun perfectly good looking girls and then wax poetic about genre actresses using language as if they're Sir Walter Scott.

There's no doubt that she's smoking hot. But when you start talking like (I'm exaggerating here) "The woman is beautiful beyond comparison and is worthy of the highest praise that this lowly squire can heap upon her."

Go to any genre associated actress' IMDB page and I can just about guarantee you'll see a message thread titled something like "Beautiful" "Gorgeous" "Hypnotic" etc etc etc. It's loving retarded.

You wanna lay the pipe with Claudia Black? I've never seen the attraction, but more power to you. But don't start waxing poetic as if you think in the deepest of your thoughts that perhaps she will see your thread about how you compare her beauty to a celestial nursery and track you down.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 23, 2008

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

OK then!

Hot chick top 5!

1. Cordelia
2. Buffy
3. Lilah
4. Willow
5. Darla

Better! I'm even with you on all but #5. I jutht can't thtand Julie Benzth and her lithp. It driveth me crazthy.

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm so sorry I forgot Eve :( Switch her out with Cordelia, yep.

Good point. Although I wouldn't switch out Cordelia. That would have to be Buffy.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but please tell me Tur Mohel (and his evil Minyan) made it in.

Holy poo poo. That was one of the best things ever.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Y'know... I'm listening to the Musical Commentary right now. I'm at Zack's rap.

I'm bored off my rear end and not enjoying this in the slightest. I do not understand how this is possible. Nathan's song just seemed to go on for-loving-ever Felicia's song was stupid, and Zack's is not inventive or interesting in the slightest.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 1, 2009

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

In truth, I just try to ignore Angel seasons 3-4. Sure, there were some really good bits here and there, but I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about Groo, Angel falling for Cordie, Connor, Holtz, etc.

If I watch Angel on random episodes (as I am often doing), I always select seasons 1,2, and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Never liked her on buffy (early or later). I liked her in early angel when she was a clearly troubled girl who was hosed up to the core, saw that she was hosed up to the core, and wanted to be better.

Later when they tried to make her into some ghetto fabulous rear end-kicker, I was much less intrigued.

I always liked LOOKING at her, but then again, I like LOOKING at Heidi Klum. Doesn't mean I'd ever watch Project: Runway if you paid me.

• Locked thread