Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Jackdonkey posted:

She's like David Caruso in my opinion, and she's nasty looking

Then you're stupid, pal. Sorry.

Anyway, I just finished the last episode of season 5 of Angel. :sigh:

Lorney tunes...nooo. Good night, folks. :( Wes. :( Seeing his character develop the way he did was loving amazing. I guess I should start reading the comics. I hope they aren't utter poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

IndieRockLance posted:

No. That book sucks through and through. The art changed after an issue or two, but it's still not great.

But someone just told me to get it and that it was pretty ok. :( I have to know what happens to angel and the gang.

quote:

Speaking of Lorne, anyone else suspicious of him?

Not lorney tunes :mad: I think he did his best to be a good being. His character depresses me the most though. Everyone treats him like poo poo, he raised conner practically by himself, then conner hated him. No one ever listens to him unless they want their futures read, and he's pretty much just crapped on for the entire show, yet he's always there, trying to make people feel better.

The end of Angel("goodnight folks"....jesus christ), and the scene with him at the bar telling the barkeep that he just 'tells people what they want to hear' is some of the most depressing poo poo ever.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Spike and Angel together are awesome. Their best episode by far is The Girl In Question. Hilarious poo poo.

Angel: THOSE ARE MY NUNS
Spike: Yeah, nuns are your thing. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT OK

Here's a buffy question:

Is the episode where she is in a mental instituion considered canon? It's freaky as poo poo and I'm wondering why there's no more mention in it during the show at all.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

cool kids inc. posted:

Spike did a lot of things most vamps didn't seem to bother with/enjoy. Getting drunk, smoking, and Passions were probably not high on the list of many other vampires. Oh and hotwings.

I still maintain that blondie bear stole the show every time he was on it. (regardless of whether it was buffy or angel) :colbert:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

also

Chris Knight posted:

I'd like to be President of the "I Hate Dawn Club."

i don't know what you guys problem is i mean she was voted one of the 99 hottest women by askmen.com if you ask me she's pret

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Brimmy posted:

So I rewatched the series finale of Angel last night and I don't know which is more sad, Lyndsey getting killed after finally feeling accepted or Wesleys death :smith:

Neither. The saddest loving thing about that episode, and indeed the whole series was Lorne.

He was poo poo on the entire time, people only using him for his reading abilities but never giving a hell about him. Then he does the final act, totally contrary to his nature, and leaves completely broken.

"Goodnight, folks."

:smith:

Biggest downer of the entire series for me.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Aatrek posted:

Wes beating up Lorne to steal Connor is loving DARK.

"I started drinking the moment that I found out that a girl I loved was gonna die. Every time I get to the bottom of the glass, I hope that that last drop is gonna take me the distance."

The ultimate darkest thing Whedon has ever done by far is Lorne's entire arc. I've said it before and I say it again!

Lorne is ignored, crapped on, beaten up, and used only to help other people get what they want. No one, not a single time in the show, asks him how he's doing or if he needs any help.

Then, at the very end of things, Angel asks him to do something that takes away the last thing he had left: his "humanity".

"Good night, folks."

:( Blah.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 10, 2012

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

octoroon posted:

And it's totally not black and white. It's grey as hell.

"Funny thing about black and white. You mix it together and you get grey. And it doesn't matter how much white you try and put back in, you're never gonna get anything but grey. "

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Jesus christ, goons.

The complaining about Inara is the dumest poo poo on earth. Mal doesn't disagree with her line of work because he's "old fashioned." Notice how he goes in to help the brothel in "Heart of Gold"? He respects all the workers there and sees no problem with the profession.

So gosh...that means his trouble must be with Inara in particular, right? Gee...I wonder what his problem could be...could, it perhaps, be because he's obviously in love with her?

Christ. All the bitching about Inara is really stupid because it shows fundamental lack of understanding about people. Of course Whedon is a feminist. That's why prostitution is portrayed as a women-centric and women-owned profession that's finally out from under the heel of men.

Calling Firefly racist and comparing it to "literally the south will rise again" is lazy and ridiculous. And I say that as someone born and raised in the south. Mal is nothing like the shitheads of the confederacy except that he simply wants to be left alone from the government, which you could essentially say about every American. Hell, he mocks and decries the slave trade in the very pilot and continues to do so during the show.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Uh, sorry for all the bitching?

Alright, it isn't bitching. It's just really stupid to say "if Whedon's a feminist as he claims." I think the guy's work speaks for itself. Yeah he's screwed up a few things here and there (the entirety of dollhouse for instance) but his track record of putting powerful and believable (which means flawed, same as it does for men) women on screen is second to no one I can think of.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I just read the hilarious trainwreck in the general TV thread (here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377206&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=593 )

about how Whedon is actually a creepy anti-feminist and I'd honestly like to hear some feedback or rationale from anyone who actually believes that's a true thing.

Because from what I see in that thread, the true creepy-as-gently caress sperglords are the ones who claim that a woman being able capably fight men is "exploitative".

So I'm very interested to hear from someone (who has actually seen more than one episode of Buffy six years ago) who can give me a critique as to what Whedon gets wrong on feminism.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Koalas March posted:

For example I distinctly remember being pissed off about a few things but I can't really remember what they were.

I hate to tell you, but this sentence, right here, that I just quoted? Yeah, that's pretty much all anyone ever has to say about this, other than vague things that either flat out never happened-- or represent a thorough misunderstanding of basic human drama and conflict.

I'd certainly be eager to read anything you or anyone else has to say on the subject, but for now I'll just wait, I guess.

To give you an example of the kinds of hilarious misunderstandings I'm talking about :

Breakatmo, I'm not sure if you're talking about this blog, but it has a great example of such

http://www.themarysue.com/reconsidering-the-feminism-of-joss-whedon/

It's one of the worst pieces of poo poo I've ever read. The stuff she says about Firefly and Zoe in particular represent a terrible double standard about women in general and also flat out misses the point of certain key facts. Like, she's talking about War Stories when she says:

quote:

Captain Mal and Wash have a thoroughly embarrassing fight over which of them Zoe will listen to most, making a mockery of the intense trust she places in both of them.

She completely and utterly misses the point of what was happening there. Mal was keeping Wash from breaking by saying inflammatory things to him to keep him grounded in the present while under intense torture.

She demonstrates her complete idiocy when she further denigrates Zoe's character by saying:

quote:

The conclusion to this thread comes in the film Serenity, where Wash (spoiler alert!) is killed and Zoe permits herself not the slightest time to mourn, going into full battle mode – nor do we get any reaction, verbal or non-verbal, from her for the rest of the film. This places her decision to rescue Wash instead of Mal from torture in “War Stories” firmly in the strategy department of choices, creating a much harder and walled-off character than we’ve been prone to envision Zoe prior to this event – which also falls in line more easily in Whedon’s usual depiction of women of color: oblique, tough, and voiceless in the face of deep change.

Uh, so which is it, lady? Is Zoe "not really a soldier" because she chose Wash over Mal in War Stories, or is she "not really a woman" because she didn't break down into hysterical tears when Wash died?

That article is full of stupid poo poo like that, and so I'm still waiting for an actual intelligent deconstruction of Whedon's missteps on feminism and female characters-- because what I've read so far includes essentially the same terrible logic.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 31, 2012

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

his portrayal of women -- which is certainly not always above reproach! --

For the record let me state that Whedon does screw up characters, sure. But he equally messes up the women as well as the men and in pretty much the same ways, honestly.

And I've yet to see a single argument against the love lives of Inara, Kaylee, Buffy or any of the women in his shows that doesn't boil down to:

"It really pisses me off when women DARE to enjoy sex"

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 31, 2012

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

quote:

Off the top of my head I can only think of two significant male characters who've died to give pathos to others: Wash and Book, in the same film. Oh, and Coulson I guess?

You know Wesley dies, right?

And I'm sorry, but that whole women in refrigerator thing is pretty stupid. Killing off women characters only becomes an issue when they exist in the first place for the sole purpose of being killed off later. This is true of any non three dimensional character in general.

Granted, I'm not a fan of comic books so I have no idea how pervasive of a problem that is/was, but it's just not something I see Whedon doing purely for the shock or "awww" value.

edit: beaten on the Wesley thing

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Dude, I watched the series for the first time less than 6 months ago. I almost wrote everything down -- it stuck out to me that much. Forgive me I can't remember everything from 7 seasons off the top of my head, it doesn't mean that I, especially as a woman who works in television, who's end goal is to be a showrunner, didn't have legitimate gripes at the time.

I also said I was interested to see what you had to say, which I genuinely am.

It's just that I've heard that exact sentiment before from different people and it just seems to fizzle out at vague gripes that don't seem to correspond much to stuff that actually happens in the show.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

And I would argue that the steps he does take are just as important as the ones he doesn't. The mistake people make is essentially labeling him as The One True Feminist, which forces people to, in a way, Madonna/Whore the gently caress out of him. No matter how cool and refreshing it is for him to write likable female characters that can hold their own in a fight, the minute those characters fail to live up to someone's feminist ideal (and just to be clear I do not mean this sarcastically), he's a misogynistic prick.

It's better to think of him as a progressive, the root word being "progress": he moves the depiction of women in storytelling FORWARD, but not to exactly where it needs to be. And while he may have fallen short of the desired goal, his work has influenced a lot of people, some of whom may be talented enough to pick up where he left off and make even further progress in the portrayal of women in multimedia.

I think you put it very nicely, but this:

quote:

There's a lot of things Whedon can be criticized for w/r/t his portrayal of women.

is what I'm curious about. What things? I mean...I can come up with quite a few issues I have with some of his quirks here and there, but none of them have to do specifically with women and their portrayal.

BrianWilly posted:

Whether the characters "exist in the first place for the sole purpose of being killed off later" has little to do with it. "WiR" is a problem of reducing perfectly good, perfectly strong female presences in stories to nothing but corpses for someone else to be sad about.

Wait...what? Those are the same thing. If they only exist to be killed off later...that's pretty much the same as being reducsed to a corpse that exists only for someone else to be sad about. Maybe I'm missing something here.

But I'm again going to gripe about the WiR thing though, because it's such an arbitrary distinction, and here's why: I don't need to be well-versed in comics to know that most of the heros and main characters are men, right? Well, most of the time the most powerful loss one can encounter is the loss of one's love interest, right? I'll also assume that there have been few to no gay superhero comic books, right? Can you see where I'm going with this?

Women may get killed a lot to motivate a hero, but that's only because the hero losing a loved one is a trope as old as time, but more importantly... most heros are male-- and that's really what the problem is. (one of the problems, anyway)

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 31, 2012

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Can anyone tell me what's actually wrong with Kennedy's character? I can't remember much about her, but god drat she inspires more nerdrage than maybe any other character. I mean, I get that she's not Tara, but I feel like it's lovely to dump on the character just because Whedon is an evil dude who hurts those we love.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Oasx posted:

I think a lot people hate his arc throughout the show, but I really enjoyed it.

Anyone who hates Spike or his character arc is a certified idiot. Spike was Whedon's favorite character from Buffy, and it really, really shows. He has all the best lines, gets under Buffy's skin more than any other love interest, and has the coolest outfit.

Spike owns. :colbert:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Joyce: Have we met?
Spike: Uh, you hit me with an axe one time. Remember, uh, "Get the hell away from my daughter"?

Spike was great, because he got to change archetypes a bunch. He was the big bad, the last-minute face turn, the wacky neighbor, the mercenary-for-hire, the unrequited love-interest, the unhealthy love interest, the creepy stalker internet "nice guy", the reformed bad boy, and the noble sacrifice. Then on Angel, he got to be the more-successful little brother.

That's a character you can put anywhere.

The most conceptually interesting thing about Spike is that he's ten times the hero that Angel was or ever could be, and for one simple reason:

Spike fought for his soul. He went through literal hell to get it back.

Angel, on the other hand, had it thrust upon him by some stupid curse. Angel liked being evil, he made that choice consciously and only stopped when made to. Spike on the other hand made the choice to become a better person.

It makes watching Angel painful sometimes because when Spike's on the screen he's clearly just the more relatable/likable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

A) Angel was forced into being a vampire, and thus evil, like 99% of all other vampires. He didn't "consciously make a choice" to do so.

What are you talking about? That's not what I said at all.

I said that Angel had his soul forced on him(by the gypsy curse); he did not earn his soul back as Spike did. That's the single biggest thematic difference between the two characters.

• Locked thread