Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

May as well show off the monitor I got the other day:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Yes I use an EEE as my main and only machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I got a couple of machines, all with 19" monitors, left to right : standardized HW for support, development machine, day to day stuff, filez.

There's also 2 other machines running in my office, and 5 spares of various models for parts...and a dart board :D

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

UserNotFound posted:

I got a couple of machines, all with 19" monitors, left to right : standardized HW for support, development machine, day to day stuff, filez.

There's also 2 other machines running in my office, and 5 spares of various models for parts...and a dart board :D

You need some Synergy man!

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Dyscrasia posted:

You need some Synergy man!

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Got it, I just don't always have all the machines on, so I leave the kb&mouse on the desk.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
My work desk today. For some reason my iPhone takes really over exposed pictures. It's actually clear and sunny out the window with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge and a tall Verizon building.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Left to right:
Email/AIM/Twitter display, Main iMac Display, Xbox 360 dev kit, Crap HDTV for Xbox. Also on the table are random iPhone dev devices.

For some reason our office manager put a plant on the desk opposite me. And someone needed 50 feet of CAT 5 the other day and didn't put it up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use a broken desk bought from wal-mart for 25 dollars and an office chair I found in someone's trash.

:smith:

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Far left, on the floor, primary desktop, using dual monitors.
Far right, on the floor, my file/media server, which I just switch to Linux a few weeks back. I ghetto video switch to it by using the analog connection on the widescreen, but usually I just SSH in (you can see irssi running in putty on the left monitor).
On the desk, left, is my HP nc8430. Work issued, normally stays at work, but I was working from home that day.
Behind that (under the monitor) is a Compaq Evo slim something-or-other box that I gently caress around with Linux on. ($100 on ebay lol)
On the desk, right, is my MSI Wind (it just arrived that day, which is why I was working from home!)
In the center is my Edirol PCR-300 for jammin' synths.
Behind the right speaker is my IBM NetVista running m0n0wall (you can only see the corner of the black frame).

At work, I have two HP desktops, one is the team fileserver (headless), and one is my primary workstation (dual monitors). My nc8430 doesn't do anything unless I work from home, or need to take notes during a meeting.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

strwrsxprt posted:

Jury's still out on if this will stay in SH/SC, but I guess I'll play along for now.

Click here for the full 1200x1800 image.

What desk is that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feisar posted:

What desk is that?

That looks like the old Ikea Jerker flat desk, as opposed to the more common version which has the very tall vertical rails.

It's basically a Galant, except more :black101:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

hippieman posted:

For some reason my iPhone takes really over exposed pictures. It's actually clear and sunny out the window with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge and a tall Verizon building.
LOL, nice iPhone bashing! Now go read up on dynamic range...

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

LOL! I know, right, LOL!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's my work setup. I doubt I can effectively work without this much screen real estate ever again.

Dell D830 fully loaded with expansion dock running 2 x 22" widescreens and 2 x 17" UltraSharps.

I have a Opti 755 under my desk as a stationary machine connected to a 20" UltraSharp.

I love my MS Comfort curve keyboard and MX Rev mouse on a Ulti-Mat mousepad. Slides like butta...

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes
My desktop:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

What the... where did all my cables go? Who took my drat cables?

All Velcro'ed up under the desk...

Specs as if you care and/or can't tell... left monitor is a 23" Cinema HD, hooked up to a Rev. A MacBook (1.83 GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 100GB HDD); right monitor is a 24" iMac (2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD).

Swiss Knight
Jul 17, 2006

Dear Leader, who is a perfect incarnation of the appearance that a leader should have
I got a lot of ragtag stuff, a couple really old CRTs, a slightly new 24" lcd, connected to a Blackbird 002, and 5 year old Compaq.

Goin for mostly a Soviet theme, and I think it worked out quite nicely.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

That looks like the old Ikea Jerker flat desk, as opposed to the more common version which has the very tall vertical rails.

It's basically a Galant, except more :black101:
That's correct. I never was a fan of the tall Jerker. I need to go to Ikea and pick up a pair of these to get my cables off of the ground, unless someone has a better suggestion. I don't want to shove them behind my PC because a rat's nest does me no good when I need access to my cables, as I frequently do.

Edit:

atomic johnson posted:

What the... where did all my cables go? Who took my drat cables?

This is awesome.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 5, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

strwrsxprt posted:

That's correct. I never was a fan of the tall Jerker. I need to go to Ikea and pick up a pair of these to get my cables off of the ground, unless someone has a better suggestion. I don't want to shove them behind my PC because a rat's nest does me no good when I need access to my cables, as I frequently do.

I have one of those under my tall Jerker (which I will probably end up cleaning up and photographing for this thread) and it really does work well. I'm pushing the limits of how much cable it can hold, though, so I really should get off my rear end and go get another one.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

UserNotFound posted:

I'm not trying to bash, I love the iPhone, I'm an iPhone developer. For some reason mine takes lovely pictures. I think I got something on the lens that I can't get off.

If I use someone else's it comes out really clear.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

hippieman posted:

I'm not trying to bash, I love the iPhone, I'm an iPhone developer. For some reason mine takes lovely pictures. I think I got something on the lens that I can't get off.

If I use someone else's it comes out really clear.

But you'll never expose indoors and outdoors in the same shot because of the extreme difference in brightness. On any camera. (of course unless you use a flash, or a 2 exposure tone mapping)

I'd say your picture was exposed properly to show you desktop, but to someone who knows nothing, it could be seen as "ZOMG something the iPhone can't do!".

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!

Swiss Knight posted:

I got a lot of ragtag stuff, a couple really old CRTs, a slightly new 24" lcd, connected to a Blackbird 002, and 5 year old Compaq.

Goin for mostly a Soviet theme, and I think it worked out quite nicely.

The thought of someone sitting in this dark room all day is extremely depressing. Please tell me that's not your bed, refrigerator, and computer all within 5 feet of each other.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Last year when my video card died here is what my desk looked like. Looks pretty much the same today

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

atomic johnson posted:

That's beautiful. I end up saving the twist ties from loaves of bread for tidying up cables behind my entertainment center but that only goes so far... They need to teach a cabling class at my school or something.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Here's my desk. I attempted to clean it up, but it's an uphill battle. You can't really tell, but the usb cables on the side of the monitor are plugged into a usb hub I velcroed to the side of it. It falls down occasionally, but I just stip it back up there.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Chop Chop Master Onion
Sep 3, 2000
Forum Veteran

jnr posted:

Some times I wish for a nice pair of LCDs so I would have actual desk space.

UnJammer Lammy!! "Noooo cutting corners, she's on the border... now!!!" I miss playing that game.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?

sea salt and habenaro sauce... yummm!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

headlight posted:

Yes I use an EEE as my main and only machine.

Wow, that's quite a tempting setup. You're limited by analogue VGA on the monitor size, but how's the performance, and does the case feel like it's melting with the lid closed?

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
editted out

Persh fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 10, 2011

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Wow, that's quite a tempting setup. You're limited by analogue VGA on the monitor size, but how's the performance, and does the case feel like it's melting with the lid closed?

Performance is fine - does everything I need to do, e.g. web browse (with lots of tabs open), word process, watch youtube and downloaded videos all at the same time!. I upgraded to 2GB ram and its a 901 Atom model. Temp is no problem either, fan goes on a bit more than normal I guess but its very quiet compared to my last laptop.

Considering I went from a £2000 VAIO TZ to this its been better than I could have hoped.

Here is another picture with even less character, I tidied and upgraded to a wireless keyboard.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
This is a picture i took a while back for another forum of my desk setup before I moved a few months ago

Click for descriptions

Pointillism
Jun 29, 2005

A thousand points of light.
This gets a lot messier when school is in session. Also missing is an iBook that I sometimes place on the left side of the desk (where the phone and DS lie) and the cat that often times jumps up onto the desk.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mdaddy posted:

I love the "Totally-clean-everything" then there is the horrible cable entaglement underneath the desk in a giant ball.

thewaablah
Sep 8, 2004

Stay down bitch
Posted this in another thread but here is my "desktop". It is the only place where I have a computer on a desk. My other computer is a laptop by the couch for browsing and streaming stuff to my X360. I made the desk and the record crate contraption with a bunch of scrap wood, then covered it in a thin layer of foam. Then added black fabric over top of that.

Click here for the full 1166x778 image.

Click here for the full 1166x778 image.

thewaablah fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 5, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's my desk.

View to show cleanliness of cables:

Cable mounting solution:

Two computers on the left correspond to the monitors (left one is left monitor, right one is right monitor). The one on the far right is a simple fileserver.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here's my desk.

I recognize that desk as the Mikael from Ikea (I have it in black). I think I'm totally copying your cable management setup once I get back to school.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I really miss my nikon for these kind of posts.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bucket Joneses posted:

You are a cabling god.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
These are awesome I love looking at peoples personal desk areas. Sometimes they are a total mess, but the ingenuity in others is nice to see.

majesticonion
Apr 9, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Whats that giant cable going into your router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
drat you people and your fancy cabling. I'm cleaning mine up and tightening up the cable mess!