Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

I actually thrifted my speakers :dance: I've probably spent about $3500 total on an audio rig that exceeds 5 figures at this point.

I'm always on the lookout for better furniture. This desk isn't as bad as it looks, it was originally from Ikea. An upgrade is inevitable, however.

By the looks of it you may benefit most from some sound deadening insulation at this point. The reflections off that wall to your left are likely messing with your sound-stage. If you really want to go nuts, you can always adjust the speaker angle and placement too.

My $0.02:
Between proper room acoustics and speaker placement you can make almost (note: I did in fact say almost.) any hifi setup sound a lot better. These things can't really be compensated for by just throwing more money at "other problems".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BabyRyoga posted:

Electronics upgrade. And now I am out of desktop space :(

Oh, so that's where the ark of the covenant ended up, huh.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I am looking for recommendations for a new desktop. I have an incredibly confined space to work with, effectively a four square foot space, which must also contain a chair. I'd like enough surface space to carry a micro-ATX tower, 1-2 monitor(s) and keyboard/mouse area, and would like to be able to fit my chair under it so I can walk around it. It would also be nice if the desk itself were less than three feet tall, as it will be against a window.

I was considering one of the terrible quality Furrino compact desks thru Wal-Mart's website, but I wouldn't mind spending a little extra cash to get a build quality that isn't going to wobble around and break under my goonly sperg rages.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm terrible about keeping a good posture when seated so I've decided to upgrade to that motorized standing desk from Ikea, the Bekant

The only question left is cornery or straight. I'm happy with my current straight desk and it feels like anything you put in the corner would become uncomfortable to reach and you'd adapt to avoid it.

However they must exist for a reason so I'm willing to hear people out. Has anyone done anything useful with the corner of their corner desk?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

poty posted:

Has anyone done anything useful with the corner of their corner desk?

Ummm- a lot of people put their computer/keyboard and monitor there?

Also, standing desks don't really help if you have issues with slouching and maintaining good posture. It's easier to reduce lower back pain but I know people whose shoulders and neck hurt the same or more after switching because they couldn't stop drooping their upper body after a while of standing.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ummm- a lot of people put their computer/keyboard and monitor there?

Also, standing desks don't really help if you have issues with slouching and maintaining good posture. It's easier to reduce lower back pain but I know people whose shoulders and neck hurt the same or more after switching because they couldn't stop drooping their upper body after a while of standing.

What's the advantage of having it in the corner? Seems like the keyboard would be a bit harder to use there

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Just cleaned my office, so:

Desk is a Gladiator 8-Feet adjustable height maple workbench. Ridiculously heavy and solid. Love it.
30" Dell screen and 13" MacBook Pro.

PC case is a disaster. Should do something about that.

edit; whoops. Not much has changed since the last time I posted my desktop here. Sorry.

dema fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

poty posted:

What's the advantage of having it in the corner? Seems like the keyboard would be a bit harder to use there

Three monitors you pleeb. :getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dema posted:

Desk is a Gladiator 8-Feet adjustable height maple workbench. Ridiculously heavy and solid. Love it.

edit; whoops. Not much has changed since the last time I posted my desktop here. Sorry.

Nice desk. Nice bike.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just put this together.

It's a Williamsburg Butcher Block (meant for countertops mainly), cut down to 7' with Prisma brushed steel legs attached. Few coats of polyurethane on top and it's ideal.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

dema posted:

I love it, very clean setup. Simple, structured, clean. Awesome.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

dema posted:

What is that foot pad-looking thing under your desk next to the cable modem? I've been seeing that around the net lately.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NovaLion posted:

What is that foot pad-looking thing under your desk next to the cable modem? I've been seeing that around the net lately.

a cat?

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

NovaLion posted:

It looks like a foot rest, used to keep your feet on a soft surface and at an angle (and sometimes with a foot warmer). Some people find it more comfortable than keeping your feet at the floor's level and hard surface.

The foot rest in the photo looks a lot like this model but not sure if it's exact:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UQ40IS/ref=psdc_1069198_t2_B00006I62X

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, Amazon tells me it's that the one I ordered. In practice, I only use it occasionally.

/shrug

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I have a corner desk and have enough room for a Poang foot stool. I use it all the time, especially when I'm really sinking into a good, long sloth.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm trying to find a new desk, and can't quite find what I'm looking for, especially at a non-particle-board-shitshow quality. Just a flat surface with a open space for a PC and a drawer set for legs, in black/espresso (or easily painted). The Ikea HEMNES desk comes pretty close and is solid wood, but while I haven't measured it in person I don't think the cabinet is big enough for my full tower case. I'm open to hacking some Ikea pieces together, but I have to think someone's seen something simple like this around.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Why the hell is your case so big? The Hemnes is nice. Get a smaller PC case instead.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why the hell is your case so big? The Hemnes is nice. Get a smaller PC case instead.

No.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That case looks like it could be a third of its current size and still comfortably fit every component inside.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreatGreen posted:

That case looks like it could be a third of its current size and still comfortably fit every component inside.

That's every PC case though. FT02 has a nice flow, quiet, and waaay more bays than most others.

I don't wanna argue too much, it's a lot like those "nobody needs to go over 65 MPH, why have a car that can do a mile over" kinds of arguments.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Because I needed a new case to fit my r9 290x and that one was on sale :shrug:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Milkman posted:

Because I needed a new case to fit my r9 290x and that one was on sale :shrug:

Idiot.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Wow sounds like someone hell of jealous at my luxuriousness

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

That's a beautiful loving case, and if I ever upgrade my ATC from 1990 it'll be with one of those or the Corsair Obsidian cases

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just got incredibly lucky. A local ikea pickup and deliver service is cleaning out old models in their showroom. Got the corner Galant with all accessories (drawers, shelf, divider, rounded end pieces) for $225.

Now to just find a buyer for my old 4x4 expedit and desk attachment.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Someone please repost their sweet setup. Can't let this thread go idle for a month.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ILikeVoltron posted:

That's a beautiful loving case, and if I ever upgrade my ATC from 1990 it'll be with one of those or the Corsair Obsidian cases

On a slightly related note, does anyone make a case with no front cut-outs whatsover? I don't need/use/want an optical or floppy drive, I'd love a flat clean surface, front USB ports optional, front audio ports undesirable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurgerQuest posted:

On a slightly related note, does anyone make a case with no front cut-outs whatsover? I don't need/use/want an optical or floppy drive, I'd love a flat clean surface, front USB ports optional, front audio ports undesirable.

NZXT has several; although NZXT cases tend to have flimsy drive caddies, and I wouldn't call them the best of cases - relatively poor cooling, 120mm fans only, often only one fan preinstalled.

The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv is an amazing mATX case with a front 200mm fan and a rear 140mm fan - I'd call it one of the best cases on the market. It isn't quite a flat surface:

But it has no front cut outs, only air intake vents. The power button and USB ports are on the right side panel in a vertical strip; and there is actually an optical drive bay hidden at the back of the case, for occasional use, which you can remove if you want to fit a big radiator.

Then you've got cases with the optical drives hidden behind a door - Nanoxia cases, fractal design Define cases, etc

Edit: Bitfenix phenom and colossus mITX/mATX.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 10, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurgerQuest posted:

Yeah, NZXT, but if you want something with a flat surface, an easy way is to buy one with a door. Fractal Design, Nanoxia..

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

BurgerQuest posted:

I own this one, the NZXT H440:

Headphone and microphone jack, 2 USB3 and 2 USB 2 ports on the top, and it comes with 4 fans pre-installed with room for 2-3 more. It has LEDs on the logo inside but you can unplug that and still have some illuminating the rear I/O panel. It also has sound-dampening foam in all the panels and the included fans are made to be quieter.

I don't know if you want a window like that though, it almost turned me off the thing completely but I really liked the look of it otherwise.

e: there is the NZXT logo embossed on the bottom of the front panel, but it's practically invisible.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

cobalt impurity posted:

I don't know if you want a window like that though, it almost turned me off the thing completely but I really liked the look of it otherwise.

e: there is the NZXT logo embossed on the bottom of the front panel, but it's practically invisible.

I wish there was a version of this with a solid side panel with noise dampening lining and the option of a side intake fan.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

HERAK posted:

I wish there was a version of this with a solid side panel with noise dampening lining and the option of a side intake fan.

The Fractal R5 is basically that:

Ports along the top, intake fan on the windowless version, noise dampening liner and the front is a padded door.

I have the R4, it's nice. Wider than the average mid-tower but great cooling and looks for the price.

I guess it doesn't fully meet the requirements as it does have two front bays, but they're hidden enough that who cares.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone else really regret buying a case with a side window?

I've got the obsidian 650d and the window does nothing but frustrate me. I can see flashing LEDs on my GPU's power cable, ram OK lights, and a few other things and it's pretty distracting. Worst of all though I need an absolutely black room to sleep and a few of my power indicator lights stay on even with the computer off. So I need to either physically unplug the psu-wall connection or flip the switch to actually be able to sleep in the same room as it.

Unrelated to the window, but the fan controller for this case also died on me within 6 months of buying it. It would always run the fans at max rpm no matter what. I later skipped the fan controller altogether and just went straight to the motherboard pinouts for the fans. Which worked fine, I could control them in the BIOS, for about a year before that failed on me too and they started running at max rpm again. :suicide:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Karsh posted:

The Fractal R5 is basically that:

Yeah, the Fractal Design Define R5 is a well awarded and great looking piece of kit. It's definitely an extremely solid evolution of their previous cases, and one I would definitely get if I was building a full ATX build these days.

But there's normally no reason to build full ATX, so micro ATX and Nanoxia DS4 is probably what I'd do. (Actually, literally what I'd do, I just got tasked with building a machine for Inventor for my father-in-law. DS4 is key. Gaudiness would not do me favours).

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Methanar posted:

I've got the obsidian 650d and the window does nothing but frustrate me. I can see flashing LEDs on my GPU's power cable, ram OK lights, and a few other things and it's pretty distracting. Worst of all though I need an absolutely black room to sleep and a few of my power indicator lights stay on even with the computer off. So I need to either physically unplug the psu-wall connection or flip the switch to actually be able to sleep in the same room as it.

Unrelated to the window, but the fan controller for this case also died on me within 6 months of buying it. It would always run the fans at max rpm no matter what. I later skipped the fan controller altogether and just went straight to the motherboard pinouts for the fans. Which worked fine, I could control them in the BIOS, for about a year before that failed on me too and they started running at max rpm again. :suicide:

The 650D's side panels are interchangeable.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
PC cases with side windows that show off the totally sweet seizure factory that is your multicolored LED-gilded hardware can be cool to look at for about 2 minutes, then it becomes apparent just how visually distracting and sound amplifying they are. Right after that, you realize how kitschy it is and how embarrassing it would be for anybody to find out you own it and have voluntarily placed it in your home.

Do yourself a favor and go for something that prioritizes noise reduction and that is a dark colored, brushed metal box with as few angles as possible and be much, much happier in the long run.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

PC cases with side windows that show off the totally sweet seizure factory that is your multicolored LED-gilded hardware can be cool to look at for about 2 minutes, then it becomes apparent just how visually distracting and sound amplifying they are. Right after that, you realize how kitschy it is and how embarrassing it would be for anybody to find out you own it and have voluntarily placed it in your home.

Do yourself a favor and go for something that prioritizes noise reduction and that is a dark colored, brushed metal box with as few angles as possible and be much, much happier in the long run.

Guaranteed. Corsair makes very few clean looking cases, so they're off my personal list.

My current case is a Fractal Design Define R3, and my previous case was an Antec P182.

Edit: although, I just had an idea - a case with a smart glass side window, that can either let light through or not. They've been used in expensive windows before, so now I can imagine a case that has a button to show the inside, or hide it. If any case designer sees this and decides to implement it, well.. send me some beer at the very least.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I suppose I can post my desk, now with computer case on it.

Oops the panels weren't completely on.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Methanar posted:

Yes. Years ago, when I bought my Lian Li case, I thought it would be swell to have a nifty windowed side panel.

Bad idea, acrylic and the rubber associated with the window kit on side panel didn't radiate the heat out of case, and I had to add a fan (and more noise) to keep cpu temp comfortable. I eventually replaced the windowed side panel with a solid one and was immediately able to remove the extra fan.