Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So what happens if you want to watch a movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elsa posted:

it's the replacement screen for a broken iPad... 2500 x 1500 resolutions (roughly I forget ), cheap ($65) per screen ($35) per adapter.uses 5v power which is already supported in several ways in your motherboard.

And then there's the scaling. With the right card you can push four of these plus 2 more DVI outputs for a total of 6 monitors per card

With a motherboard limit of two of such cards , you could have a setup of 12 screens from what seems like any old desktop rig.

The dimensions of the retina displays are the same as the iPad Retina you are familiar with. You can fit several of them in close proximity to your face.

They're engineered by apple to be great color production, and clarity IPS panels with excellent light production.

All told, along with basic EE know-how (such as soldiering and Volts and Amps) you can build this unit for less than $100 a unit.

I have been wanting to use one of these with a Hackintosh build. Got any advice on the adaptor to use?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Elsa posted:

EVE Online mostly

This is amazing. I thought my set up was a little over the top.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Elsa posted:

it's the replacement screen for a broken iPad... 2500 x 1500 resolutions (roughly I forget ), cheap ($65) per screen ($35) per adapter.uses 5v power which is already supported in several ways in your motherboard.

And then there's the scaling. With the right card you can push four of these plus 2 more DVI outputs for a total of 6 monitors per card

With a motherboard limit of two of such cards , you could have a setup of 12 screens from what seems like any old desktop rig.

The dimensions of the retina displays are the same as the iPad Retina you are familiar with. You can fit several of them in close proximity to your face.

They're engineered by apple to be great color production, and clarity IPS panels with excellent light production.

All told, along with basic EE know-how (such as soldiering and Volts and Amps) you can build this unit for less than $100 a unit.

I don't think I would've gone this route just due to the multiple monitor headache anyways but drat it's amazing someone did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah your EVE setup is real cool, Elsa.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
For the cost, that's actually not too shabby; how do you make them displays?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Wasabi the J posted:

I agree, it's actually quite neat considering the display quality. I'm just not sure about how practical the adapters are?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Etrips posted:

So what happens if you want to watch a movie?

You sit down on the couch in front of the tv?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

The "Retina" iPads actually use embedded DisplayPort for their display signaling, so they can be used with a PC with a very simple adapter board that basically converts to a normal DisplayPort plug and has a backlight driver.

Here's a few offerings for sale:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1716
http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=47

and this one was Kickstarted but didn't have enough demand to continue production after the backer batch so they published the schematics and code:

https://github.com/OSCARAdapter/OSCAR

Take any one of these adapters, add an iPad 3/4 replacement display, and there you go. You're on your own for mounting solutions, though a lot of people seem to just use gutted iPads.

If only this sort of hack kept the touch part working, it'd make an amazing car PC display.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Elsa posted:

EVE was the initial inspiration yes.

<crosspost from PYF selfie & chill thread

I am normal ish please don't judge me

Which monarchy are you part of and how far from the throne are you?

Or wait does that say Loyalty?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

wolrah posted:

The "Retina" iPads actually use embedded DisplayPort for their display signaling, so they can be used with a PC with a very simple adapter board that basically converts to a normal DisplayPort plug and has a backlight driver.

and this one was Kickstarted but didn't have enough demand to continue production after the backer batch so they published the schematics and code:

Take any one of these adapters, add an iPad 3/4 replacement display, and there you go. You're on your own for mounting solutions, though a lot of people seem to just use gutted iPads.

If only this sort of hack kept the touch part working, it'd make an amazing car PC display.

Those are expensive tho.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

Go with abusemark. He is a really cool dude and had these adapter cards offered on his website before adafruit ever featured a retina screen project in their videos. I haven't had any failures with his cards, although I have mishandled the wiring and ribbons on a couple aside from that 12v molex incident.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SEKCobra posted:

Those are expensive tho.

The abusemark ones are $30.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's like this in the back. Abusemark had earlier versions of the adapter that placed the ribbon over the card in an awkward way, but it's fixed now. Last time I checked he was using really nice looking white circuit boards too. I still have spare adapters from early on so I haven't had the chance to try one of the new ones.

He also wrote me a custom DFU after I asked about some default power behaviors. You can power it with mini or micro USB which he gives you the option of picking when you order, and all boards have solder points to receive jumpers for power.

lastly, get your cables from monoprice.com. Everyone still overprices Displayport cables

edit: he's using black circuit boards right now :toot:

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

The abusemark ones are $30.

mid-2013 I ordered two from rozsnyo at $99 each plus shipping and I cancelled the paypal after they didn't arrive for three weeks. Not even a shipping notice. I asked about a bigger order of 10 or more, and he gave me a bunch of stories about how hard his people have to work, and the production of the cards. I couldn't get a commitment from him so I moved on.

I emailed adafruit and they dragged their heels for the longest time, I don't think their displayport retina kit came out until late 2014. I'm pretty sure they were busy buying up retina displays to have them on hand to sell as a package. I hope they are still stuck with that stock because they drove up the price for replacement retina displays. They were going for $75 when adafruit released their kit, up from $45, and retina displays are finally stabilized again.

edit: sorry I got really un-chill about adafruit

wolrah posted:

I've considered this! The best solution is to just stick an iPad on your dash somewhere. iPads are such a complete package already, you'd be reinventing the wheel by doing anything else.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 18, 2016

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Elsa posted:

A personal creation of mine that I've used for a few years now. iPad retina displays used as montiors, on bendy mic stands to position them wherever I want. Compact, high resolution, low power consumption (1.2mA 5V each)

I'm down to 4 (from 8) after I plugged the bottom row into the wrong Molex connector (12V instead of 5V)

I have spare adapter boards from the first prototype and need to buy replacement retina screens to feel whole again.

grover's buttcoin mine

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

grover's buttcoin mine

lol. my case is sloppy, yeah. I hate trying to shove everything inside. I am a bad nerd.

The original plan was to run the wires through the screen stands, but I got it all working and just stopped there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd never build or want to use it, but I think it's cyberpunk AF, fits your purpose and looks unique. Good work dude.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

well why not posted:

I'd never build or want to use it, but I think it's cyberpunk AF, fits your purpose and looks unique. Good work dude.

Agree. Anyone asking "why?" needs to have their nerd card revoked.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Elsa posted:

I'm down to 4 (from 8) after I plugged the bottom row into the wrong Molex connector (12V instead of 5V)

Was this notably catastrophic or did they just kind of flash and shutdown?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Do they plug in and work like any monitor would? Seems like they would be cool to use with an Intel NUC.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

sunday at work posted:

Was this notably catastrophic or did they just kind of flash and shutdown?

I heard a slight pop and saw four puffs of smoke. Then there was the burned electronics smell. The cards fried at the ribbon connectors to the screens.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Do they plug in and work like any monitor would? Seems like they would be cool to use with an Intel NUC.

It should work, it's all adapter-side. It enumerates the screen as a generic 2048x1536 monitor (Generic PnP). There's also some voltage stuff that goes on to breakout to the individual LED strips but yeah. Registers as a normal monitor in Windows.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
That setup is phenomenal, Elsa, and you showcase it excellently.

I run a disorganized mind. It's cataclysmic. The only way I've learned to compensate is by imposing order through physical means. Ordinarily I keep things very square, clean, and consolidated, but I don't think I've ever thought of a workstyle like yours. At very leave, I wouldn't have imagined that the outlay would be as attainable as you describe. The idea of having so many of those itty screens and being able to compartmentalize all my concerns and reach out to physically swing them them in or out of focus seems so dynamic and enabling. I'm going to look into fabricating something similar. Thank you for sharing; it's hard to explain how genuinely distressing it is for me to find focus, but ideas like this have the potential, with me, to be genuinely life-changing.

Anyway, what I popped in to ask was if anybody cared to give me the biz on (ordinary-sized) monitor arms. I think if I was going to get a static mounting device I would get one through Monoprice (let me know if that's a mistake) but I'm interested in hearing where a honky should go if he wanted a good price-to-quality breakpoint on a spring-counterweighted arm that could swing around like the lamp at a dentist's office.

I wish this topic had a megathread-style OP with product recommendations and a showcase of cool ideas.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Thanks bud

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the amazon basics monitor arm is pretty much exactly the same hardware as the ergotron one but waaay cheaper.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Budgie posted:

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the amazon basics monitor arm is pretty much exactly the same hardware as the ergotron one but waaay cheaper.

I have said arm and it is very good

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I just found four LTL097QL01-W01 retina screens on ebay for $21.00 each, $90.00 shipped

I'm going back up to 8 again! :dance:

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 1, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That is really cool and I'm bookmarking this page to try it out later. If there's a way to add little sensors and get those neat but dumb tracking monitors from mass effect 3 I'd do that too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Elsa, that is pretty awesome.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ijyt posted:

That is really cool and I'm bookmarking this page to try it out later. If there's a way to add little sensors and get those neat but dumb tracking monitors from mass effect 3 I'd do that too.

IR transistors and LEDs, motor, motor controller board, and some basic logic circuits and you're set.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is this the thread to ask about desks/workstations or is there a better thread for that?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ikea Fredde.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

While that is a nice desk, I'm asking about something like this:

My office has a few outside of some conference rooms and I sat in one the other day and it was pretty comfortable. I liked that the mousing surface extended back to support my whole arm, and the keyboard/laptop shelf that swung into place and adjusted was pretty nice. All it's missing is a similar mount and adjustable arm for a monitor and it would be perfect. Is such a thing available for home use? I wouldn't need the white opaque privacy thing or really any of the partition part. I'm not even sure what to search for.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

owl_pellet posted:

My office has a few outside of some conference rooms and I sat in one the other day and it was pretty comfortable. I liked that the mousing surface extended back to support my whole arm, and the keyboard/laptop shelf that swung into place and adjusted was pretty nice. All it's missing is a similar mount and adjustable arm for a monitor and it would be perfect. Is such a thing available for home use? I wouldn't need the white opaque privacy thing or really any of the partition part. I'm not even sure what to search for.

The monitor could use any monitor arm that swivels. Ergotron also seem to have a standing/sitting setup that doesn't look quite as low-key: http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/816/language/en-US/Default.aspx. Yet, while their monitor arms are excellent quality, I am not sure how stable that keyboard tray feels when typing or when using it with a mouse, i.e. whether it wobbles or not.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Hollow Talk posted:

The monitor could use any monitor arm that swivels. Ergotron also seem to have a standing/sitting setup that doesn't look quite as low-key: http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/816/language/en-US/Default.aspx. Yet, while their monitor arms are excellent quality, I am not sure how stable that keyboard tray feels when typing or when using it with a mouse, i.e. whether it wobbles or not.

Sorry I guess I worded my question a little weird. I'm wondering if a little pod like that, with or without walls but including a chair, mousing surface, articulated keyboard tray and monitor mount is even sold for home use. I'm not even sure what a setup like that is called so I'm having trouble Googling up any results.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

owl_pellet posted:

Is this the thread to ask about desks/workstations or is there a better thread for that?

This would probably be the best place to get ideas and or recommendations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

In that case you're kind of getting into gaming cockpit territory like an Obutto Revolution or something.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

owl_pellet posted:

Have you thought about asking purchasing or facilities or whatever for your office what kind of desks they are/where they're from? If you can figure out the manufacturer, you can look up the local distributor or any online stores that carry them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Looks like it would be expensive as gently caress while being the least ergonomic thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Magnus Praeda posted:

Have you thought about asking purchasing or facilities or whatever for your office what kind of desks they are/where they're from? If you can figure out the manufacturer, you can look up the local distributor or any online stores that carry them.

This is a good idea and worth a try, thanks!

SEKCobra posted:

Looks like it would be expensive as gently caress while being the least ergonomic thing ever.

It may be expensive if they're only available B to B, but it was very comfortable when I sat in it. I was only there for like 20 minutes though so if I was going to buy one (or something similar enough) I would probably go down and work in one all day to see if it gave me bone-itis or whatever.