Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Misogynist posted:

I didn't either and now that I have literally over 50 cables behind my desk it actually became physically difficult to add or remove something.

I guess for small computer setups it really doesn't matter though.

I would think that with all the cables tied/bundled together it would be even more troublesome..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Chopper posted:

Top Right - Sony Vaio VGN-SZ5VWN - Worst mistake of my consumer life.

Why?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Chopper posted:

It was £1800 (that's pounds sterling) haggled down from £1900 and it has had more problems than I would expect a £400 Dell to have.

To this day I still don't know what came over me to buy it.

Heh, I had a horrid experience with the FJ-series (which I bought for the same price as a school-discounted IBM T60). The thing was filmsy as hell (not to mention underspec'ed) and the fan died within a year. I thought the QC problem was only afflicting the China-made Sonys though, SZ is still made in Japan right?

It's a shame, Sony used to make some really nice laptops.. like in 2000 :(

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

cglotr posted:

How strong is the Gallant? Been looking at them for a while but I've head some people say that Ikea desks aren't to be trusted with expensive computer equipment - does the Gallant start to get a bit wobbly if you move it at all? I haven't seen one up close so I'm not sure how well it's contstructed - are all the joints metal to metal, or are there any wood to wood/wood to metal ones? (if that makes sense).

I've got a single piece with the adjustable A legs and it's wobbly as gently caress due to the legs being REALLY HARD to adjust for complete levelness. But it's sturdy. I regularly stand on my desk (65 kilos here, or 140 pounds) to close the window and such (they open outwards and I can't lean that far out to reach the handle). Getting T legs will probably solve the wobble problem. The metal frame and wood is perfectly fine strength-wise.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Network posted:

I was that bored to whip out my camera and take a quick snap of my (actual) desktop.

I still don't get why you'd spend the money for surround sound speakers then put the rear speakers in front of you :confused:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Sultry Fungus posted:

Do you have free/unlimited 3g bandwidth? And if not, won't that cost you a fortune?

Over here we have 'mobile broadband', basically a small thumb-drive sized device that you plug into a USB port. It functions purely as a 3G modem, and you can't use the SIM to make/receive calls (I think). Unlimited bandwidth, but rather pointless since every major mall here has free wifi already. Might be the same where he lives.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

jt posted:

Found the desk second hand pretty cheap.. now just need to acquire a new apple cinema display and a mighty mouse to complete the setup.

Doesn't it get really annoying reaching for things in those two compartments?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I don't think that setup is his..

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

YARN posted:

Just upgraded my (actual) desktop with some shelves from Ikea.

Before:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

And After:

Edit: messed up..

Doesn't it sound odd since the speakers aren't directed at you?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Isn't it supposed to be more ergonomic if the top surface of the screen is eye-level? I imagine it's quite uncomfortable having to stare at a monitor on a raised platform..

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Juriko posted:

This is about right. Specifically you are supposed to put the monitor top a couple inches above eye level so you can look straight on. if you put the top at eye level you still have to look down a lot.

Yeah but that's the point, looking down is supposed to be more comfortable than looking straight ahead..

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1189 image.

Managed to trade my old desk for a bigger one. Tons more desk space now. 2 main monitors are hooked up to my desktop, and the itx pc on the left doubles as a file server and htpc for a tv just off camera. Laptop gets controlled via Input Director (that's a VM running in the pic), and the samsung monitor isn't actually hooked up to anything right now. Will probably have a 360 hooked up to it once I figure out a decent way to get sound out of it.

I had the exact same F4U Corsair and F-4 Phantom II (in USAF colors)! The first is 1:32 and the second 1:48 correct? Also the Osprey in the air looks pretty slick.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mrk posted:

Rather a big alarm clock there ¬_¬

New keyboard set up today, Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Powered. Absolutely excellent!

Awesome wallpaper! Got a link?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

CubanRefugee posted:

I feel the same way. I love the look of hardwood floors, but there's something about walking around barefoot on carpet that makes me know that I'm at home.

Pretty much depends where you grew up I reckon. For me it's the exact opposite since in a country that's warm all year round no one carpets their floors.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Chopper posted:

My sense of scale/perspective is way off in this picture... is that door 15 feet high?!

That's a window.. and it's probably because of that tiny piano hahaha

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Anal Volcano posted:

Sup lovely Vika tabletop bro. Ever since I screwed in a cable holder to the bottom, leaning down on it produces a horrible crunching noise from the cardboard within. It's wobbly and I think slightly bent in the middle (if I tap one edge of my keyboard, the other side pops up). Pretty sure it'll collapse someday, taking $1400ish in consumer electronics with it.

Yeah Ikea furniture isn't solid wood which is great for costs (low weight means it's cheap to transport), but pretty much as soon as you drill a hole it starts to disintegrate.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Whats the olpc used for

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Pilli posted:

The Special Mention Award goes to the headphones hook.

I think it's just a lamp.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Or alternatively cut the LED power internally. I hate lights in general.

The LEDs usually sit behind a clear piece of plastic that works like optical fibre since the LEDs are usually fixed to the chassis (instead of the faceplate). What this means is you can put something in between the LEDs and the clear plastic, like some translucent tape, to dim them. I usually just colour them over with a black marker so that the LEDs still serve a function-telling me if the computer is on/harddisk is working-without the blinding blue light.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

You're supposed to, though. Like the top of the monitor is supposed to be level with your eyes

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

e: wrong thread

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah tbh finance jockeys and security guards are p much the only legitmate reasons to justify multiple rows and columns of monitors without looking like you wished you were in the matrix or some poo poo

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

a literal schiit stack

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

titaniumone posted:

Cool, that sounds better then. The speakers are toed in so far that I thought it was for the computer chair.

I'l try to remember to post my shithole later because what goes around is around.
edit: here's my retarded desk

How does a setup like that work, do you have to move your mouse in a reverse-L to get the cursor from the top right corner to the top left corner?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Uxzuigal posted:

New table in.. Broadband acoustic absorption plates coming tomorrow I hope, and a drat cable screen. Too many loving cables.
http://i.imgur.com/fEYrI6O.jpg

please center your speakers/desk to the wall/TV

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Uxzuigal posted:

As you command :D
http://i.imgur.com/3gLCCod.jpg

TV is abit off center and nothing I can do with it until I get a bigger one later this year. Brackets and stuff - if I moved it now, I would cause more issues later on with TV replacement.

Finaly everything is in place short of a tiny cleanup with cables. Very suprised at how much acousting broadband absorbers help, not just with music - but even talking and moving about the room feels alot more comfertable. Absolutely something Id recommend :)

Nice :q:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

I only installed them yesterday (and they were £6 so not breaking the bank here), if you balance the brightness of them against monitor brightness so they are about the same i found it less eye straining, and i normally have a soft lamp on in the room too so its not the only light source.

Its less overpowering when theres other light sources on the go.

There's more neutral colours on the strip i have that I'll try out, blue was for the pic. Its not gonna be on all the time anyway.

I tend to play guitar by my pc so its quite nice 'mood lighting' too. Its not to everyones taste (and i have very little taste) but I'm happy with it.

I loving hate blue LEDs and it looks like you've created the embodiment of hell :thumbsup:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Desk mantis.

whats that mouse

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I got an IKEA karlby in walnut and its supposedly pre treated but the finish looks awful. Is it necessary to sand it before treating it or can I just wipe oil over the pretreated wood?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Icept posted:

What sort of legs did you pair the Karlby with? I'm thinking about buying a tabletop like the Karlby and putting the largest Bekant frame under it but I'm not a pro Ikea lifehacker.

I put an Alex drawer on one side and Olov legs for the other side and middle. If I didn't need drawers the Bekant frame would have been my choice too

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

DuckConference posted:

I have a glossy monitor and the only place that works for my PC is in front of a giant south facing window.

There are certain times of day I just can't play any games that are dark.

Just move into your moms basement like I did man

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

the vagina hole you get vertically stacking curved monitors would bother me to no end

on an unrelated note, gently caress curved monitors

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

How do you spend whatever that keyboard costs and then have a lovely pack-in OEM mouse?

To be fair that keyboard isn’t a topre so it’s almost definitely a cheap POS too

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mA posted:

I finally got a long enough desk (Ikea Bekant) to fit my speakers. I might get some proper speaker desk stands down the line, but for now these $2 buckets from Daiso will do.

Ehhh most desk speaker stands are either skinny poles or foam / rubber / some other dampening material to avoid reverberation, plastic buckets seem like they'd do the opposite. Using books or magazines would be probably be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

If your monitors support DDCI you can use freeware + hotkeys to toggle between your monitor's inputs. I have a G3223Q and Dell Display Manager set to switch between DP (desktop) and HDMI1 (work laptop) on [shift + home].

For the KVM, there's no need for a hardware solution - use Synergy to share mouse and keyboard over the network