Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Evilkiksass posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Somehow I feel that the only thing that you can see on my screen is "with your cock out" is a bit disconcerting.

well it also looks like you're setting up pfsense

excellent choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

current desk is a temporary banquet table. my actual desk is the fabled jerker, which i will be able to use again in about a month when i move

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

and all the poo poo under my desk

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

what it is:

leftmost system is my desktop running Vista
TJ09 case
Core 2 Quad @ 3.6ghz
4GB ram
8800 GTS 640mb
1.5TB storage

small system is a shuttle running Ubuntu and used as my HTPC (and currently in my room because I'm moving soon)
SG33G5
2ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB ram

right system is my server/development box
Athlon 64 3200+
2GB ram
2TB storage

above that system is my router running pfSense
ALIX 2c3 system (500mhz Geode, 256mb ram)
4GB hitachi microdrive

UPS is an APC Smart UPS 1500 VA

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 25, 2008

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I should really invest in a real camera.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

What's your chair?

Herman Miller Embody, which I just got. Titanium base, Carbon Balance fabric, graphite frame. I'm still fiddling with it but it's excellent.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

drat I was hoping it was some podunk no-name chair. Too rich for my blood at the moment :(

I bought it at a local office supplier. They aren't really geared towards individuals but they were extremely helpful. The cost was also significantly below MSRP. You may want to look into local office supply companies.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

holmx175 posted:

Is that Vista? upgrade budy

I'm not sure how you arrived at that based on my wallpaper, but it's Windows 7

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

mediaphage posted:

Yup, I have the dual-arm model. It is a happy thing to have.

I just looked it up because it does look nice and Dell actually has it on sale with free shipping.

What kind of stress does it put on the desk? I have a cheap Ikea desk which is made of particle board and I'd be worry that the weight of two 20" monitors on an extended arm would be too much load for the desk to support.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

IsaacNewton posted:

I have the dual arm which you can either clamp on the edge of your desk or drill a hole and use a wing nut to hold it in place. I've used both on cheap particle board desk and while it's a bit shaky, it holds very well. It will never rip off of your desk. I use my arms to hold two Dell U2410 as a reference.

Ergotron is worth every cent.

I have one of the original Ikea Jerker desks. There is a metal frame underneath so I can either bolt it ahead of the rear crossbar, or clamp it to the back. If I bolt it, I'd need to put it about 5-6 inches from the back of the desk, which seems fairly far forward. If I clamp it to the back of the desk, I think the arms may be restricted, as my desk is right against a wall - there is < 1" of clearance.

I'd be putting two Dell 2007WFP monitors on it. Which method would be better? I don't want the monitors to be right in front of my nose. For reference, here's what my desk looks like now. I want to be sure it's possible to have the monitors in approximately the same place as they are now.

edit: In case I didn't make it clear, I'm fine with drilling holes in this desk.

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 9, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Den of Lies posted:

That's true. Don't know why I didn't think of velcro first off. Thanks!

You can also get them at Monoprice in varying lengths and colors. Check out the hook and loop ones here. A 50 pack of 6 inch ties should do the majority of your stuff. $6.33.

Also, I ended up buying an Ergotron LX side-by-side mount. It's pretty awesome, and gives me way more room on my desk to put my speaker amp and such under it. It also looks pretty boss.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, so can anyone recommend a good computer chair for $100?

If you have a Costco near you, check there. They have some pretty decent office chairs that are cheap.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Phiberoptik posted:

Try looking for a used Aeron or steel case leap. It will be a bit more but they will last you 10-20 years and are miles ahead of anything you would find in that price range.

A Leap or Aeron in the $100 range would be a total pile of crap. Absolute minimum cost for a used one is going to be $200, and he said that's out of his price range. Also there is a chair thread.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

slightpirate posted:

So I have these monstrous floor speakers that are about 1ft. square and 4 feet tall that I'd like to put in storage and instead use some politely sized bookshelf speakers with good response across most frequencies to go with my steam-lined desk Any recommendations?

What's your budget? I have PSB Imagine Minis and they are great and don't take up too much space. They are around $750/pair.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anything from Audioengine. Go to the PC Speakers thread in IYG (usually on the first or second page) and you'll see that just about every other post is a recommendation for them. I have a pair of A2s at my desk at home and a pair of P4s as HT surround fronts and I can't recommend them enough. They look gorgeous, the fit and finish are impeccable, they sound fantastic, their shipping/warranty/customer service are all great, and they cost a LOT less than the PSB Imagines that titaniumone recommended (sorry, dude).

Since he's replacing tower speakers I assumed he wanted something that would use an existing amp.

I'm sure those are alright but aren't really comparable and why I told him to specify a budget.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

slightpirate posted:

for what its worth, the 'amp' I've been using is an RCA brand radio/cd/tape unit that used to have little bookshelf speakers attached to it. the connection between the PC and the stereo head unit is by way of a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable. I wouldn't mind getting a smaller unit to drive everything though.

So again, your budget matters, but I'm using an Emotiva a-100 to power my PSBs and it is an excellent little amp. Tons of power, great sound, reasonably priced.

Also it isn't tiny (it is very deep - around 14") but it is short and not too wide. I found it easy to fit into my desk setup.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It depends. The A2 and A5+ are active speakers. They have built-in amps. That's not to say that you couldn't use them as surrounds if you knew what you were doing, but you should never connect active speakers to an external amplifier or receiver like you would some "standard" speakers. The P4 are passive. There's no integrated amp to speak of- just a crossover, a tweeter, a woofer, and a cabinet. You treat them as you would any other regular speaker- in that you'll need an amp/receiver to drive them.

\
:smug::fh:

Oh snap, your $750/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag are in a completely different league from my $330/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag. I'm sorry for making a suggestion. I've listened to the PSB minis. They're good, but also overpriced.

Your speakers have a built-in amplifier and a 2.75" woofer, mine need an external amplifier and have a 4" woofer. They are meant for different purposes, and hence why I said not really comparable. It has nothing to do with being smug. Why are you so ridiculously passive-aggressive? We can both offer suggestions.

Argas: It is never a good idea to pair standalone speakers with a "home theater in the box" receiver like the Z5500's unless you have a good understanding of the power requirements of your speakers, and the power handling and resistance of your receiver. You can easily damage the speaker, receiver, or both. I used to have Z5500s, and I wouldn't want to try connecting anything but the Logitech satellites.

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 18, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Dominoes posted:

He doesn't need to connect the speakers to the Z550: They're both powered setups with analog inputs. He could plug in the standalones to his front speaker output of his sound card and the Z550s to the rear and center/sub outputs.

I wasn't sure if he was talking about the passives or the actives. My advice was for the passives.

For the actives, yeah, that would work great.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Straithate posted:

Awful picture but I just wanted to show that I was able to mount an Ergotron LX just fine on the glass... now one day it may just spontaneously explode but it has been a few weeks and so far, so good.

I have the same mount. The only thing that sucks about using it this way is you can't move the monitors back very far since the arms will smack into the wall.

I have a wooden desk and opted to drill through the middle so I could put the mount in a spot with more range of motion.

Depends on how you like your monitors positioned, though.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

devmd01 posted:

TF just get an Ergotron mount. I have a Dual LX and it owns, dual 24" wides and they haven't moved since I set it up months ago.

I have this same setup and it rocks. Occasionally the secondary monitor will switch orientation depending on what I'm doing though.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

z06ck posted:

New additions to the desk:

(HE-400 and Modi/Magni)

What's the headphone stand?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

re: headphone holder chat. I asked what that guy's was just because it looked cool. I actually use a Rubbermaid Fasttrack hose hook, which was $10 at Home Depot. Just stand it up so the rubberized part is on the desk. Then, glue some foam rubber onto the top metal part which would hook into the wall track.

Costs about $15 total, works great, and isn't obviously homemade at a glance.

Banana stands suck because they will compress the poo poo out of the point they're pressing on.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

albear posted:

How much of a difference do those wedges make? I have the same speakers.

Also, where do you get them from? I have similarly sized speakers and they'd benefit from them.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

TheresaJayne posted:

and i finally took some pics of my desk when i got home....

and the other setup on the other side of my small room

Ahhh yes it's just as you described. It's like reading a book, then seeing the movie based on the book! Truly a thrilling experience.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Uxzuigal posted:

My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

Why are you sitting 3-4 feet from a 3-way floor standing speaker? They are going to be utterly wasted being that close to your seat

should have gotten http://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/opticon/opticon-2/

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

Unless you're a big audiophile, who cares? As long as it sounds good to you. Sweet set up.

Especially if there's a couch behind that set up and the user uses the big TV on top.

If I lived in a secluded neighborhood where neighbors couldn't hear a pair of floor standing speakers, I would own a pair too. My parents have one at home and they sound so much better then the pair of monitor speakers I have.

edit: just noticed the subwoofer. drat living in the city sucks.

because that isn't how large speakers work, they aren't intended to be used near-field, and at the volume levels you would use them at sitting directly in front of them they will sound far shittier than they should because you have them too quiet

i have medium towers (psb image T4) in my living room, big towers in my basement (psb goldi), and small bookshelves (psb imagine mini) at my computer desk.

the right tool for the job

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 8, 2016

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Wibla posted:

If the setup sounds good to him, what's the problem?

I run Tannoy Sensys DC1s on my desk (big dual concentric bookshelfs), they sound great to me, but I'm sure they'd sound better on stands, a bit further away than 3 ft.

People can do whatever they like but if you post pictures of your arrangement to show strangers online you should expect feedback and or criticism

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Uxzuigal posted:

Ofcourse, and I am always open to feedback. :)

New table is coming next week thankfuly. As for near field. The listening position is 3m/9.8feet away, the "PC" position shouldn't be considered a part of this, while they are being used with PC as well, this is/was never the idea behind the speakers - there is a sofa behind behind. Room is about 25m2/270 square feet.

Gotta admit in retrospect that the picture I chose was loving abyssmal though.

Cool, that sounds better then. The speakers are toed in so far that I thought it was for the computer chair.

I'l try to remember to post my shithole later because what goes around is around.
edit: here's my retarded desk

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 9, 2016

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

How does a setup like that work, do you have to move your mouse in a reverse-L to get the cursor from the top right corner to the top left corner?

Yes, trying to move between monitors from the right one to the left only works in the area where they meet. You stop noticing it very quickly and just do it without thinking about it.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I've been planning to build a similar desk and from the research I had done Waterlox seemed like a cool product.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Humerus posted:

After living here for a year now I think I've finally settled on a setup, more or less. I think I'm gonna get some floating shelves for all the nerd poo poo on top of my tower, and I'm looking into getting a 2.1 speaker setup, but for the most part this is kinda ideal for me. The only big drawback is that my old Ikea desk was thicker, and I had a monitor mount clamped to it. I was reading that some people just throw a block of wood into the clamp to make it work, is this a dumb idea? I feel like that would lack some required support.

My desk looks like its the same thickness as yours and I haven't had any problems with 2x 24" monitors and a scrap piece of 2"x6" under the desk to spread out the load.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

It's finally time to replace my old Ikea desk with something that isn't particle board garbage, but I'm having trouble finding a replacement. All I want is a large, flat surface, no bigger than 30" x 60". I had been thinking of building my own desk but I bought a house and I've got side projects coming out my ears already.

The Herman Miller Envelop looks interesting but it's expensive and I don't think it's wide enough (at 45") to comfortably support 2x 24" monitors on arms and still have enough space for desk speakers and the other occasional thing (like a cup of coffee).

I've been looking at small dining room tables and stuff from local stores since they seem to be the closest thing to what I want but a big slab of stained sealed maple with simple metal legs are generally in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark which is a bit much.

Are there any mass produced computer desks that aren't trash?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

the envelop owns but probably won’t work if you’ve man child and convinced yourself you need two monitors for some weird reason

I am, and I have

nem posted:

I used an Envelop desk with an Embody chair
but unless you intend on reclining with an Embody the ergonomics on it suck outside that specific configuration

I have an Embody, which is part of why I was curious about the envelop. I don't know how much I'd actually use it leaned back so although it looks cool, odds are it would probably not be the right choice. Having to replace my existing monitor mount with another expensive one in addition to the cost of the desk is probably the end of it for me then. Very helpful, thanks.

To those suggesting getting a nice surface and mating it with legs -- all good ideas, but I can't be hosed to even do that much, I bought a 70 year old house last year and there are more than enough projects to keep me plenty busy. I definitely want something where I can just be a lazy piece of poo poo and click "Add to cart" :shrug:

The Uplift and most other sit-stand desks are very close to what I'd want design-wise, other than the sit-stand legs. I know that I'll never, ever use the stand configuration (lazy man child etc), so it would work but feels like a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I've looked stupid for over 30 years, if I stopped now I don't know what would happen