Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Prelude Gundam posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yeah.. I'll probably label things later.
Make sure and label that severed human head that I know is in the picture somewhere. I give up on trying to find it :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

MrChrome posted:

Follow the cables

There they are!

I would be awfully paranoid about what would happen if a toilet overflowed. I know the chances are rare, but you would have literally seconds to keep from shorting something out, assuming you were around.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Runoir posted:

Where did you get that headphone stand?

Amazon has a ton of headphone stands only they call them "banana holders" or "fruit holders" :v:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Runoir posted:

Thanks! I'd never have thought of this.
The sad thing is, there are probably companies who have taken simple banana/fruit holders and relabeled them as "headphone stands" and sold them for four times as much.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Phone posted:

SH/SC equivalent of those weight loss threads in W&W.

Except that the date is going backwards.

Prelude Gundam is showing us his workspace before his life went to hell.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Mr_Person posted:

So what are headphone stands for? I have some 555s that I usually just set down on my desk, and they haven't exploded into thousands of pieces or anything yet.
First off, hopefully nobody is buying "headphone stands", since banana stands do the same thing for a lot cheaper.

This is actually cool, somebody used some Ikea parts that were not meant to be a stand:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032285568&postcount=2653

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

n0manarmy posted:

I'm embarrassed to show this. My desk gets extremely cluttered because of the amount of projects that I have to work on at once.

Gizmodo posted their sloppy desks contest results yesterday, you are doing fine.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5192475/good-lord-you-people-are-all-slobs

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

There are shorter ones plus you can get cable trays that attach undearneath the back. Galants are sturdy as poo poo, they have a steel frame underneath the wood.

I love my Galants, but make sure you get the T-style legs. the other legs suck rear end.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Juriko posted:

Just get a couple of filing cabinets and a uncut/drilled door from home depot.
If they get a cheap hollow core door, 300 pounds will go right through it. If you pick up a sturdy door, you start getting into the price range of an actual desk.

Raluek if you have the money, just pick up the Galant from Ikea - there are several sizes to pick from. They have a steel frame underneath the desktop and it will happily support everything you want. Make sure and get the T-legs as well.

If you plan on keeping this for a while, go ahead and spend the money up front rather than cobbling something together that you won't be happy with later on.

Juriko posted:

Also if you have a large university near by they often have amazing deals on used, massive desks.
This is a good idea if you are on a budget. There's also craigslist and Goodwill-type stores - a lot of companies dump that kind of furniture off on Goodwill or resale type of shops (there are used office furniture stores in a lot of places if you poke around) , or some are now using Craigslist.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I have a Galant desk, and others in this thread have a Galant desk judging from the pictures.

I've always maintained that the T-legs are the only way to go for the Galants, but a friend is buying a used Galant that is similar to this corner setup (it's just as long):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/3876383777/in/set-72157622202428512/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/sets/72157622202428512/

Any Galant owners have any experience with an L-shaped layout with the 4-corner legs instead of the T-legs? Just seems like it would not be as sturdy.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

The Third Man posted:

Are you a traditional animator? :swoon:

the posted:

Tonelok, I love your setup. I've never seen something that looks so cluttered yet so organized.
I wish I was a traditional animator. That's the home office of Ward Jenkins. I have no idea who he is, other than he set it up pretty drat nice for such a small space.

syphon posted:

I have a galant with the corner legs... but it's not an L desk. The T-Leg setup was, $20 more I think? I think the corner legs look goofy, but i think they'd be MORE steady than the T-Leg (since the stance of the desk is wider).
Actually the T-Legs are supposed to be sturdier but they are both sturdy from what it looks like. It's a pretty good sized chunk of metal either way. I have the T-legs and they are rock-solid.

Zwille posted:

I'm not 100% sure if it's actually a Galant but a friend of mine has a desk shaped like the one in that picture, and it's on T-legs - I think it's two T-legs on every side and he used to have a 17 or 19 inch CRT in the corner, so it certainly held that sturdily. It only started to bend when he climbed on it and was towards the outer edge. You could also prop the outer corner up with one single leg there.
We found it by looking up ikea Galant on Flickr and it looks like a Galant from photos on ikea.com, but it looks like he built two full-size Galants and then added the corner piece, rather than just buy the smaller combination from the photo below. I was thinking it wasn't fully supported in the middle because I couldn't see the corner legs in his pictures, but I had a brain fart and wasn't looking at the combinations on ikea.com. They have actually have corner legs for the L-shaped setups:

After going back and looking through his flickr set, in one of the photos you can see that he does in fact have the corner legs, but they are kind of hidden. They can always buy the corner legs if it doesn't come with them for some reason.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Trapdoor posted:

I push buttons and find oil.
That explains why you are on a ship. I've been on a lot of seismic vessels and they love hanging things off of plywood.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

SRQ posted:

I really need a new desk, any suggestions?

I like this one because you can put your computer in the corner, while still having your printer handy right next to your knee.

It doesn't take up a lot of space either. Obviously you need a free corner.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Crowley posted:

It's the new standard in ergonomics. It actively encourages people to get up once in a while instead of spending all day sitting in front of a computer.

It's a very exciting desk, because any day could be your last as you die from a blood clot due to deep-vein thrombosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Pr0phecy posted:

I was in the market for a new desk and I decided to google this. Holy poo poo, this desk is 300$ to what amounts a piece of wood with 3 legs? What the gently caress.

edit: it's kinda big so I guess that may make it worth the price.
Having done the cheap desks for years, we have two Galants and they are worth every penny.

Only get the T-legs, and as said, they are sturdy as gently caress, thanks to the solid steel frame that the wood top sits on. Plenty of cheap-rear end desks are literally the wood and then the legs. Galant has a nice steel frame that is not going to move on you.