Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's only legal to run OS X on an Apple-labeled computer, so that's what I'm using.

Still haven't bothered adding more cooling to the case since the last thread, need to fine someone with a drill press!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ranathari posted:

What power connector is that on your MBP? Doesn't look like the standard one.

It's a PowerBook G4. You can tell since the antenna isn't in the hinge.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

After that grand display of opulence I feel bound to post my own example so that people might learn that not all Mac users are pro photographers.
Besides, I've got a new house and a new case but this Mac user is still LIVING LIKE poo poo! :v:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

chimz posted:

You have a giant Hackintosh, a Dell keyboard, and a [i]Mighty Mouse[\i]!? WTF?

Get a MX Revolution or something....

I don't like side buttons or scroll wheels, so the Mighty Mouse is perfect for me. I do have a Dell bog standard mouse to the side there for games.

Juriko posted:

I figure every time I run out of space I will just bolt another arm onto it.

That's a really cute little setup! Doesn't seem very ergonomic though, does it get tiring to use the tablet?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

It's times like this when I really wish that Mac keyboards still had the power button on them like they did back in the day. Why did they take such a useful feature out? I've got to fumble around on the back of my mac mini every time I want to turn it on (which admittedly isn't often, but still).

The official answer was that powering on the computer was a hack that was not in the USB spec. No as for why minutae like that would ever stop Apple of all companies; I have no idea. Maybe someone plugged it into a PSU and friend their power supply or mobo or something.

I don't believe that they'll power on a modern Mac anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sniep posted:

I'm going to guess that it sounds like David Bowie.

With a 10% "brown noise" filter applied.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Although if any multi-Mac users are wondering about it, Teleport is a much better alternative to Synergy if both the controller and the controlled computers are Macs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

Get a KVM.

I don't think there's such a thing as a DVI+USB2 KVM that isn't a huge piece of poo poo (Belkin Flip) or stupidly expensive ($300 ATEN KVMs.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Just to add to the continued questions...

1) is that an "intel inside Mac" mousemat?! Where is it from?

2) interesting wallpaper - what's that from?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's not a Mac Classic because it has a front keyboard socket. It's most likely a Plus.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm not sure why some bright spark doesn't just put all the screws and poo poo on the backside of the mobo rather than on the frontside where you have to contend with RAM/VRM/fan/heatsink clearances that make it awkward to fit the screwdriver/allen key/mini wrench they provide.

In contrast the back of the mobo has tonnes of room to work and even allows you to change the heatsink without removing the mobo from the case on most cases.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shogunner posted:

This thread moves depressingly slow.

After the initial rush they always do; I know that my desk looks the same as when I posted it two years ago (apart from a new mouse since then!)

When I save up for a thousand dollar chair I'll repost mine and you can marvel at the extremely rare three button mouse. :) (thanks nzspambot!)

edit: almost 3 years now and unfortunately waffleimages killed the picture of my ancient white generic tower case with the Apple Sticker Making It Legal. :smith:

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 24, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nice, but what is the latency like from the surface of the sun to the earth?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

My chair finally came today so I thought I'd update my ancient pic.

New mouse, keyboard and chair for a superior living like poo poo experience. Monitors, Mac and desk still the same old.

Edit: and it's good proof that not every Mac user is living in either a design catalogue or an Apple Store :v:

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 11, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

Name of the vertical monitor, please?

Most decent spec Dell monitors have a rotating stand.
I'm not sure a true portrait monitor exists.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That two-toned Leap looks awesome.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Where did you get that clock?

If you can live with not having an authentic (out of stock?) one then there are plenty of cheapies on DealExtreme.
I've seen them at Smiggle (trap sprung) too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly I'd think about moving your components to a smaller form factor case.

Leaving aside the cost/benefit ratio of SLI for the moment, I think he would require too much internal volume to go any smaller.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Senior programmers with 30" Cinema Displays running at 1280x720.
All these will be lost like a contact lens on a carpet floor.
Time to die...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Good Dog posted:

It came from imgur. You can imagine how much everyone loves this guy's project. Click to see more of his handiwork.

I never thought I would drown in the luxurious carpet of my master's computing dungeon.
--that printer

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That would be really handy for learning channel numbers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

I like that model of mouse. I’ve used them for years.

I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone like Lenobo mouses.
At least yours is the new model that has a real scroll wheel...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Doesn't your phone company send you free promotional/branded monitor stands every year?

Failing that, your local office supply store should sell modular monitor risers for just a few bucks each.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/keji-80gsm-a4-copy-paper-500-sheet-ream-kea4cp80rm

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

telarium4 posted:

As long as we're bringing up history.

Backstory: Parents went out of town for two months, summer of 2003. Naturally, LAN party in the basement.

This could have been me. It's crazy what we used to do with CRTs and mum's kitchen table.

(I still have LANs occasionally but have to borrow trestles since nobody wants to even sit three to a table.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

i'm 35 and my latest build has fuckin purple LED fans in the front and the video card has an LED thing on it that changes colors* i do not give a gently caress

*supposedly, i still haven't bothered to find the software to do it

My RAM changes colours and I can't stop it because the software to control it only runs in Windows...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I got some L-shaped desks from disposals so redid my study.

Left to right is my machine, Flower Power G3 iMac, SFF Lenobo ThinkStation, G4 eMac, wife's machine.
Need to get another pedestal so I can get rid of that old drawer sitting there, and a new screen for the ThinkStation so I can chuck out those phone books and that terrible 768p monitor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

spunkshui posted:

Why do you have 3 rando old computers?

The ThinkStation isn't old! It's a 6th gen!
(The Macs are for my kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix on)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

My dad used to dual box in Everquest while I played on my own machine between 6th and 8th grade, and the triple CRT set up's footprint was a major irritant to my mom in our modest apartment. Coulda been worse, Mom!

This was the worst thing about LANning in the CRT era.
Firstly you had to carry those suckas up however many flights of stairs.
Secondly fat chance ever getting two people on one table back to back.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

tortilla_chip posted:

One per job. Long live remote work.

I actually have 4 laptops on my desk and I have considered using a magazine rack in the past.
Main laptop is docked and I remote into corporate laptops issued by clients A, B and C.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've seen a tempered glass surface in a holiday house, that gets used 1 month per year and doesn't have anything resting on it the rest of the time, spontaneously shatter and the next time we arrived we didn't have a dining table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

well why not posted:

weird thing to bump the thread about, but going back to the first dozen pages is amazing; there's square monitors, polycarb macbooks, all sorts of silver era charm.

Is there a way to look at some of the missing waffleimages links?
I know that there was an effort to recover the images at some point.