Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

No cables :toot:

My chair is probably twenty years old and disgusting and needs replacing something fierce, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Is that one of those nifty 3M keyboard trays? God I wish I could convince myself to pay the price for one of them.

It's actually a Fellowes keyboard tray. The mouse tray is a little wobbly and I'm going to have to figure out some way to reinforce it, but overall it's pretty decent.

I'm surprised how everyone here just throws their keyboard on the desk. That's bad for you!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Caged posted:

How does it make a difference what the keyboard is on? Unless you mean height wise, in which case my chair is high enough so that my keyboard is at the right height (hence the 3rd party Ergotron base on my monitor).

I'm a pretty average height dude, and it seems like to get my arms at the right angle on most desks I'd have to have the seat up very high, and then I'd need a foot rest or to use a drafting chair with the ring footrest.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Radiohead71 posted:

Not mine, but I always loved this one.

oh god the curtains

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ashex posted:

I'm really digging the bookshelf speakers some of you guys have. Do you have to plug them into a receiver or can you do direct plugin?

Mine are an older version of these, and they're self powered.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Reacean posted:

That looks like the Ikea Jerker, which iirc isn't made anymore?

They replaced it with the Fredrik, which is what I have. It's nice!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

I love mine and it will follow me wherever I go.

I do wonder if Ikea has some secret warehouse of Jerker parts lurking somewhere... They carry a 10-year warranty, after all, and I'd hate to think they'd try to pawn a Frederik off on me if something broke.

The Frederick isn't bad!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

How do you guys switch between video inputs like computer / xbox? Do you need special monitor specs to run xbox games?

You can get a VGA cable for the 360, and lots of monitors have component or even HDMI inputs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

updated desktop, now with 13" MBP, 24" LED Cinema display, Apogee Duet, etc

Still need to get that poster matted, and get the speakers up on the wall off the desk so I can get a stand for the macbook and run it open.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

LowJack posted:

My OCD-riddled personality enjoys the purity of form and function illustrated in your setup.

Same here, that's a real nice setup (although if there was another place to put the stuff above the TV I'd do that.)

I have that same TV, it's fantastic.

What are you doing for speakers?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

I don't think I can change the blinds though because it needs to match the wood frame which is light brown (oak-ish), right?

It doesn't "need" to do anything. :) You could go with white blinds, or put up a curtain rod and do any color of drapes you desired.

Go pick up a copy of Dwell magazine to get some ideas.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

holy poo poo AxeFX :circlefap:

What power amp are you using with it? I can't make it out. VHT?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

24" Cinema Display, 13" MBP, Apple wireless keyboard & trackpad, Apogee Duet, M-Audio SP5B monitors, Sennheiser HD280's on an Ikea Fredrik.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ikea is pretty decent environmentally and certainly they at least try harder than generic cheap furniture manufacturers at Target or WalMart, but it's naturally worse than buying a nicer "real" piece of furniture from a local furniture maker.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I just bought a whole gallant, does it come with the Allen wrenches?

It does, but if you have a power screwdriver you should go down to the hardware store and pick up a set of hex and square drive bits. That plus using wood glue for things like dressers is what keeps me sane when assembling Ikea furniture.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

When we finally end up moving I'll sell the Fredrik and build a standing desk with an Ergotron mount for the ACD, but for now it's fine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

I have a...peripheral problem.

(not pictured: 2 IBM model Ms, fully restored)

How much do you want for one of those compact wired keyboards? Seriously.

edit: poo poo, you're in Australia. :(

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 14, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Of course, this is all largely speculation and wishful thinking since Thunderbolt's been out for almost a year and Apple have done gently caress-all to push for its wide adoption or get peripherals out there beyond "hey you can buy this 4-bay RAID box for $1,200 if you want."

A couple of interesting audio interfaces with Thunderbolt have been announced so far at NAMM, including stuff from Apogee and UA.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mediaphage posted:

I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't check, but isn't that the Frederik?

Yup. I have the same desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They look like newer Yamaha HS monitors. And yeah, the AxeFX is the truth. Every guitar player I know personally who's grabbed one has sold everything else they owned afterwards.

Anyways, I just moved from a Macbook Air to a Hackintosh rig after realizing I never took my laptop anywhere and inheriting a free nice tower that happened to work with Mavericks without a hitch. That gave me the opportunity to clean up without hubs and cables running all over the place.

The monitors are M-Audio SP-5Bs which I've owned since around 2001. I'm not sure if there's a single thing I've owned longer. They're not even that good, they're just what I'm used to.