Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cable management is easy for me, since my setup is just sitting on top of an old dresser that has the legs taken off. Don't want to see the cables? Throw them behind the dresser! It's like the best of both worlds.

The TV is for emulators. I've since replaced the monitor with a massive and less lovely one, and hooked my M-M-M-MODEL M back up. And yes, it's next to shelves filled with hundreds of VHS tapes despite me not owning something that can play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CRT vs. LCD doesn't really matter to me at all for stuff like playing games, but reading text from a CRT really sucks after you've gotten used to something that you can use ClearType with.

It also doesn't help that the power here is really lovely, so the image on CRT monitors and televisions vibrates like crazy and randomly spazzes out.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

What methods are available for folks who are trying to get rid of obsolete equipment that they feel wouldn't sell on eBay/CraigsList? I figure that regular dumps wouldn't take them due to the heavy metal ( :black101: ) content and such.

They'll take them just fine if you sledgehammer them down into tiny, unrecognizable cubes first. Or, if your garbageman is a dickhead who has been leaving his beer cans on your lawn, encase them in concrete.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

rope kid posted:

standard-def tv present to check GUI text :c00l:

Where did you get that Tom Nook?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

grunthaas posted:

I just made a new layer for my desk (the bit all the monitors are on) so it seems like a good time to post a pic..

Whoa, is that an Atari ST?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So what are headphone stands for? I have some 555s that I usually just set down on my desk, and they haven't exploded into thousands of pieces or anything yet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

qlat posted:

The 555 are <$100 headphones. Just wait till you get some HD600s or other >$300 cans.

Cheap headphones or not, I'm still not clear on why they should be on a stand when not in use. Like, is there a particular reason headphones should be stored standing up, or is it just because it looks nice? It seems like a lot of wasted space to me.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FeloniousDrunk posted:

At work. I just made the backgrounds yesterday. Left screen is Linux, middle and right are Windows, all with one keyboard and mouse using Synaptic, which is the best thing ever. Also the keyboard is a 1984 original M-series which I just hooked up and am currently driving my office-mate crazy with.

Where can I get a fancy red Esc keycap like that (or did it just come with it)?

\/ Thanks.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 11, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

LE posted:

Now now, the Mighty Mouse isn't that bad. It beats the poo poo out of the puck.

The puck may have been uncomfortable but at least it worked 100% for more than 3 days and they had the decency to put a motherfucking button on it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Finally decided to stop poo poo-livin' and get a desk instead of balancing all of my crap on top of a dresser. It's some random used office desk which is surprisingly sturdy, adjustable height, and has some really neat cable management features which I've used to haphazardly wad up my power cords.

Click here for the full 1600x1516 image.

(The wall is not filthy, it's just full of divots somehow.)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bout it flautist posted:

Is that a cartoon dog on your light switch?

It's Chef, the former bear mascot of Kid Cuisine. That switch caught on fire at some point many years ago, and the area around it was repaired with blue contact paper which is now starting to yellow.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you're after a massive mouse pad on the cheap, it seems like this would be hard to beat. http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Bench-Mat-AD00062/dp/B000U3YWEM (17 inches)

I personally don't see the point of mouse pads and have my mouse sensitivity jacked up high enough that a 360 rotation in an FPS takes about 1" of mouse movement. :smug: I like being able to keep my wrist planted in one place and control the mouse completely with finger movement. Waving your whole arm around to use a computer is, like... effort and poo poo.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Please tell me that those are enormous sticks of Pocky, and not just a larger quantity of regular Pocky in a big box. If it's the former, I am totally going to end up gaining like forty pounds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 5, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Windows 7 on the right, Arch Linux in a virtual machine on the left. I have no idea why I bothered setting this up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Pleeease, share. I NEED these.

http://pldh.net/gallery/index

Wallpapers for all 646 Pokemon.

E: Credit goes to whoever posted this in the B/W thread a few days back, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you don't like CapsLock, this utility may be of use to you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

My desk is by the window. Well, my old desk, that's our old office. 4 developers stuffed into that picture (other two are behind that partition wall) and 3 more in the room to the left. gently caress my old chair, too.

How does that not cause insane levels of eye strain? Especially for the other guy, who seems to have a window directly behind him.