Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
These are awesome I love looking at peoples personal desk areas. Sometimes they are a total mess, but the ingenuity in others is nice to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Anaconda Rifle posted:

My six monitors are better than your six monitors.

Tell your rubiks to stop being such sluts. All that inbreeding and unprotected sex has led to mutant babies.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

My desk is very, very special and I love it. Also, milk crates.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Caged posted:

Is that something Space2 made before they went under?

No, I made it. I just took an old printer cart cabinet I liked, drilled bolt holes and added a finished desktop to it and a vesa arm mount. I used to have this massive desk that I just ended up using to stack crap and wanted something easier to move. The wiring and the UPS is mounted inside of the cabinet.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jmmtn4aj posted:

I would think that with all the cables tied/bundled together it would be even more troublesome..

Proper use of velcro ties to bundled helps prevent cables from getting tangled with proper routing it makes it way easier to add or move cables then when you have the octopus mess.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ColdPie posted:

and the user doesn't care about cleanliness, what's the point in spending time doing something utterly useless like dusting more than once a year?

Being disgusting isn't a valid excuse.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Raluek posted:

My regular screenname is Packrat. It's for a reason. I do use most of the machines from time to time, and a few things are kept for sentimental reasons. The spare parts and boxes are "just in case".

Your house is were the crap none of your friends cares about goes to die isn't it. I am surprised your mom puts up with that.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Lowclock posted:

I don't mean to derail, but why are people making fun of CRT monitors? The only downsides I can see to them are higher power consumption and size. If you are destitute enough that you can't afford the power difference between the two, then you shouldn't be using a computer anyways, and I don't know of anything I'd really like to store behind my monitor.

I had used CRT's until I had to move 6 or so times in less than 2 years and got sick of having to move it. It was honestly the thing I dreaded moving most next to my crt tv which also replaced. I live in a small apartment in the city and appreciate not having to have a deep desk just to hold a monitor. My old desk worked well but it was huge and I appreciate having something half the size now.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Prelude Gundam posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yeah.. I'll probably label things later.

I see a dorm bed. I pray you do not have a room mate.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

Is there any consensus on using a yoga ball for a chair?

I have tried a couple ergonomic chairs as well as the ball. In my experience they feel great for a while then get tiresome. It seems like the idea thing would be to have a regular chair as well and switch off. Some days the ball will feel great but other days you wont want to deal with it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jadias posted:

Mac Mini, 500Gb Time Capsule, HP w2228h LCD

Also visible: whiskey under the desk, Skype phone for talking to MY GIRLFRIEND abroad, Dolby decoder and 5.1 speakers left over from my PC setup, Barclays PinSentry online verification machine (loving pointless), iPod Shuffles, lots of mess (check those wires).

I really need to tidy that area up. Mac Mini and monitor and brand spanking new so I should probably do it now.

I would Hide some of it. I personally used L brackets to make a under desk mount for my mac and stored my time machine backup drive in my top drawer were I keep my misc media. Super clean look and lots of free desk space.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Nuntius posted:

I'm an art student, everything on the walls is my own :D (except a couple of postcards and the thayer)

My mother and sister are incredibly messy, which has made me anally retentive when it comes to tidying my room..i spend about 30 minutes a day tidying and cleaning it.

Work harder on your figure drawing! :colbert:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Gvaz posted:

As for what those spots are, your guess is as good as mine, they arent on the lens or the stuff :froggonk:

You might have dust on the sensor.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

destructo posted:

With how awful the quality of the photo is, I highly doubt it's from anything with exchangeable glass.

I would agree with you if I didn't know so many people with 900 dollar cameras that took horrible pictures. The number of people I know Buying DSLR kits and treating them like point and shoots is ridiculous. I have seen some horrible rear end pictures taken with some very nice cameras just because the owner would take a snap in manual mode at whatever settings it was on.

Beside that I have seen cheap cameras get dust on the CCD/Cmos before due to bad sealing or dust sealed in during manufacturing making its way onto it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Horace posted:

You people with your Ikea desks and kitchen countertops... you know desks are just four bits of wood nailed together, right? The one I posted earlier, I made myself in less than 15 minutes from scrap wood and it cost nothing.

I make all the furniture I can thank you very much.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

thegloaming posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to close the lid on macbooks and use an external display only (hurr dumb mac user).

I don't really know why anyone would want to do that, except for aesthetics and space. Is that why all of you are doing this?

I use a super small desk so doing dual displays using my macbooks monitor would be a pain. I do however like using larger monitor and full setup for the keyboard sometimes. I just close the lid, plug it in, and slid it into a cubby under the desktop and go to town.

My Macbook is my one and only machine for regular work so I carry it with me at all times. I don't have an independent desktop.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

DevlshOne posted:

random things

Most of those are not even our desktops. I mean it's in the title!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

real_scud posted:

Heh that's true, but I know whenever our side of the world [UI] does anything all the mocks are originally made with the safe-zones in mind. It's just near impossible to line up any UI elements on an SD television

That and CRT quality is so loving all over the place. I had a friend who had a 32 inch widescreen 1080i CRT and it was harder to read text on it than my 24 inch running component. It gets really bad when you are pushing smaller and smaller fonts since you hit a point when one TV might be illegible while another looks fine simply because on has as lovely CRT.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Clueless Tuquee posted:

Click here for the full 1024x677 image.

My desk, taken earlier in the month. Living like poo poo with cables everywhere, and a Nortel phone; none of your fancy-pants VOIP for me. Since this picture was taken, I've added a second display to my iMac; I'll edit this post once I get a change to take a photo of it.

I love that screensaver too but be careful, that thing seriously heats up your graphics card. I stopped using it after it regularly sent my fans into leaf blower mode. It doesn't seem to throttle its frame rate so it will just go full tilt when it runs.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

TreFitty posted:

Looks like every single block of every single town I've been to in Korea (even the really rural towns). It's kind of a shame that it doesn't work well over here. I'm guessing almost entirely because we actually pay for our software licenses.

nope. It doesn't work because of the types of games we play and costs. The kind of MMO market that runs in korea doesn't exist here, and to actually be able to pay employees are costs are far higher. The place I helped runs going rate was 4 times what they would charge at a typical PC bang per hour, and it still wasn't enough. Unless you can sustain near high capacity, have a secondary income source, or somehow are in an area with very low costs for the location there isn't enough money in it.

Companies here also try to enforce licensing schemes that are prohibitively expensive and reoccurring.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Raluek posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask this. I'll be totally re-configuring my desk area, and I need kind of a special desk. It has to support 300LB and be wide enough for three 24" widescreens. Is this possible with something that won't cost more than my car, or should I just make something out of 2x4 and plywood?

Just get a couple of filing cabinets and a uncut/drilled door from home depot.

Also if you have a large university near by they often have amazing deals on used, massive desks.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

tonelok posted:

If they get a cheap hollow core door, 300 pounds will go right through it. If you pick up a sturdy door, you start getting into the price range of an actual desk.

You can get a solid core door for 50 or so. You can get some sturdy cabinets from goodwill or just about anywhere. +72" desks are ranging into the niche range so would expect to lay out a decent amount of money either way. It isn't pretty but I can't honestly think of any cheap sturdy desks in that size.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

I figure every time I run out of space I will just bolt another arm onto it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I don't like side buttons or scroll wheels, so the Mighty Mouse is perfect for me. I do have a Dell bog standard mouse to the side there for games.

That's a really cute little setup! Doesn't seem very ergonomic though, does it get tiring to use the tablet?

Not really. The keyboard is actually on an arm so I can move it in out, rotate, swing it out of the way etc. Considering you should have your arm extended when drawing it is about 12-18 inches away from my body. If I want it closer or at a different angle the keyboards tray is actually a lot bigger and under the table so they can change places. After drawing in studio classes pretty much anything is more ergonomic to be honest.

Corbet posted:

That's exactly the type of desk I'm looking for for my bedroom - where did you get it and how much?

It's just an old filing cabinet I took and bolted a small ikea desktop to. It used to have a small glass top for holding printer so I just took that off and bolted the table top through the existing mount holes. The filing cabinet is heavy so it counter balances fine. The monitor arm is something I got off of walmarts online site. It was the only arm I could find at the time that held enough weight and didn't cost 200 dollars. I Found a plant holder I liked that had bolt spacing the same distance as the monitor arms tilt bolts to I just cut down some bolts down, added some rubber washers and bolted the hook at that joint to use as a headphone holder. The keyboard is on a rail mounted ergonomic keyboard lift with a large platform made out of some masonite. It is basically a frankendesk.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Handiklap posted:

I just know that neither my wife nor my boss would ever let me throw $2000+ at a chair. I would definitely let myself. This is the one truth.

It is honestly a worthy investment if you really spend time at your computer. Pretty much all my hobbies result in my plopping my rear end in a chair so I plan on saving up and going all out on my next one. If you are going to sit in it for 10 hours a day why wouldn't you. They also last longer. My current chair is a 350 dollar task chair, and a lot of my friends have been through 2-3 100 dollar chairs over the life I have had this one. Cheap chairs just flatten out and feel like poo poo after a few months.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FeloniousDrunk posted:

At work. I just made the backgrounds yesterday. Left screen is Linux, middle and right are Windows, all with one keyboard and mouse using Synaptic, which is the best thing ever. Also the keyboard is a 1984 original M-series which I just hooked up and am currently driving my office-mate crazy with.

I like that you are putting that cold fusion book to good use.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
If that person isn't a 25+ year old guy I am going to be disappointed.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

BiRD BoY posted:

Added some new junk

MacBook + Bigger TV

What is it like to redefine living like poo poo.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Windowlicker posted:

If your at work, why don't you try working.

This is a loving dumb response and you know it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Windowlicker posted:

Yeah, I know I'm in that minority that actually care about doing a good job at work.

Some people work salaried jobs that regularly ask employees to do 60+ hour weeks. Often at these jobs the person actually doesn't have 12+ hours of work to do, but instead needs to be on hand for things. During that time it is nice to have something to do at work other than sitting around. Hell often those salaried positions will want you around for a normal 8 hour day even though there is nothing for you to do right that moment because they are already paying you a flat rate.

This isn't that rare.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ErIog posted:

To anyone who will defend these awful mice, don't tell me I have to get used to it. They're premium-priced mice that don't offer any features over conventional mice to justify getting used to anything. At this point we've pretty much perfected what a mouse is. There was a $15 Logitech 10 years ago with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that was perfect. I shouldn't have to get used to a more expensive mouse in order to duplicate the functionality of something far cheaper and far more usable.

Name me another mouse with ball scrolling like the mighty mouse. I am serious, because I degree generally about the mighty mouse but I love the scroll ball to death, and I won't use a mouse without it for most things. The capacitive buttons don't even annoy me, I got used to lifting one finger while clicking after a day, but the ball gunking up drives me nuts, it tracks materials for poo poo and has low resolution.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I forgot all about bookendz. I briefly considered one back when I had a PowerBook. They definitely look more appealing than having to yank 20 cables :cool:

Bookends seem like an ok solution but it seems hard to justify the near 300 dollar premium for what is basically a few cable extensions and a USB hub put on a stand.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

It Freshens! posted:

If you get it piece-by-piece (the top + 5 legs) the Vika is $70 for a 78" top, which is larger than the $250 galant you linked to.

Oh, as a side question, does anyone know if you can mix and match legs and tabletops from other systems? Vika seems fine to me except the legs aren't adjustable height.

Those legs pictured in the above link on the Vika suck rear end. Basically the Galant is built like a tank and that vika is built like a chinese made automobile. Using one to provide mid support on a long table would be OK, but it would suck rear end as a primary support method.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bavid posted:

I don't know...my mind is blown more by an office that expects people to sit in chairs that are bad for their posture for 8 hours a day. Spending $500 on a chair for someone who already costs the company $80,000 a year isn't that much.

This. My friends mother is now experiencing some rather bad back problems that her doctor blames on her office ergonomics. There are other factors (weight and age), but the fact is she had no problems before the job, and it is been an issue she brought up since year one. It is most likely going to be considered a work related injury now which is an L&I issue. The entire thing is a mess all because they would not provide something better than an old 40 dollar office chair. The result will cost both her and the business more than the price of an office chair.

To put it into perspective: If a person worked at an office for 40 hours a week for two years an 800 dollar chair would cost them less than twenty cents per billed hour. After that it would be paid off and have a long warrantee to boot. A large office would not even be paying the full retail of an aeron.

On a lighter note my roommate just purchased an Embody, and I can't wait. We played with the thing for a good hour at the store, and it is awesome.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

timb posted:

Split loom tubing and velcro bands. Learn it, live it, love it.

Learning cable lacing is useful too. I dream of opportunities to lace cables now.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

internet inc posted:

Unrelated question: I love those sweet portrait monitor setups, but how does one go about getting one of those? I've looked around on Newegg and out of the 100 or so monitors they've got, only a few can be pivoted to portrait mode. Not to mention those do not meet my other selection criteria. Is there something I don't understand here?

Get a separate VESA mount stand. There is nothing magical about portrait mode. Any LCD can do it as long as the stand gan rotate, and as long as the monitor is VESA mountable you can get a stand for it. Monoprice even sells rotatable adjustable vesa mounts for monitors.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Wompa164 posted:

pics
Nice to see another PC setup that isn't a mess.

Just picked up a new vintage writing desk. It is a bit of an uggo right now, but I plan on refinishing it to match my bookshelves, quarter rounding the top, and replacing the ugly wood drawer handles with some brushed nickel hardware. When completed it should look really great. It was the perfect size, has a ton of storage, is built like a nuke bunker, and I picked it up for 35 bucks. Can't beat that.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

modeski posted:

I'm in Melbourne, so something nearby would be good, but not mandatory. I had been quite keen on some desks from Progressive Office Furniture, but I haven't seen anything quite right. I'm quite keen on the L-shape, as I want two walls to be desk, with the third housing a bookcase (either one or two of these)

When money becomes no object it is best to track down a carpenter. You will be able to choose everything down to the joining and drawer tracks and it won't be as costly as you think. Considering you are looking at a 3000 or so lounge the desk you want should be doable for something similar.

When it comes to furniture custom or vintage is the way to go for center pieces. The only exception to that I have is upholstered items. This is only because it can be very, very hard to find real upholsterers and the cost of doing it properly will probably blow your mind. Even high end furniture is normally fairly cheaply upholstered compared to a real shop. They normally won't even bother to reupholster newer items because the build quality makes it not worth the cost.

Also if you go with an Lshaped desk I recommend getting something configurable IE a desk that can act as a corner unit and can either be separated or straightened. Corner desks, much like sectional couches, tend to be very space dependent and it sucks dropping real money on furniture only to want to move it later and find that it fits no where.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 9, 2009

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Recently got myself a Mac Mini to replace my ailing hackintosh, and I've finally done a proper cleanup of my setup.

What made you decide to pay out the extra for a mac mini instead of just getting a newer hackintosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

minis are cheap dude.

Cheaper than other macs, but not as cheap as a PC with similar hardware. I am a mac user, it wasn't meant to be a negative question I just wondered what the deciding factor was to make the switch.