Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Head posted:

I have a question for the thread about a game that isn't even out yet. I stopped following development of this game a while back and subsequently forgot the name of it. It looked like a third person adventure where you play as a mouse with a sword and it had a dark, kind of medieval look. any ideas?

Ghost of a Tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I played an awesome flash game on newgrounds that was like a platformer where you could aim like in 'abuse' with the mouse, but the level was pretty small and then helicopters came down and attacked you, like constant boss fights. What made it awesome was the power ups, you got crazy over the top weapons and I remember one that was predator mode? It was called something like heli assault (although not that)... any ideas?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

that's the one! thanks!

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

!Klams posted:

I played an awesome flash game on newgrounds that was like a platformer where you could aim like in 'abuse' with the mouse, but the level was pretty small and then helicopters came down and attacked you, like constant boss fights. What made it awesome was the power ups, you got crazy over the top weapons and I remember one that was predator mode? It was called something like heli assault (although not that)... any ideas?

Heli Attack 2 or 3?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Neurion posted:

This may have been an N64 or PSX game, I'm not sure which. I have vague memories of renting a game from the video store that was either a first- or third-person shooter, or had an element where you did that. Most of what I can remember is a stage or a level, which was a mid-sized island that had either some shallow ponds or tidal pools in the center, ruins along one coast, and light foliage along an opposite coast. I think you had an AI-controlled buddy you ran around with, or someone who gave you messages over a radio.

It was definitely not any of the Army Men games, I know that for certain.

I'm going with Body Harvest.

Here's one that's driven me nuts for years. Original gameboy game, came out fairly early - I can't remember much about it because we lost the cart when I was really young, so probably before/around 1994. It was some weird hybrid of a tetris-esque game and a shooter - you controlled a ship but you were shooting blocks and trying to shoot them to a certain pattern to make falling blocks disappear. I also have this memory of little winged bugs or cherubs or something in the art for the borders or something.

For years I thought I'd imagined this but I at one point found the manual for it buried in couch cushions - then promptly lost it and forgot the name again. Searching for it is hard because there were roughly eight billion falling-tile-based puzzle games for the original gameboy.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 22, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

President Ark posted:

Here's one that's driven me nuts for years. Original gameboy game, came out fairly early - I can't remember much about it because we lost the cart when I was really young, so probably before/around 1994. It was some weird hybrid of a tetris-esque game and a shooter - you controlled a ship but you were shooting blocks and trying to shoot them to a certain pattern to make falling blocks disappear. I also have this memory of little winged bugs or cherubs or something in the art for the borders or something.

For years I thought I'd imagined this but I at one point found the manual for it buried in couch cushions - then promptly lost it and forgot the name again. Searching for it is hard because there were roughly eight billion falling-tile-based puzzle games for the original gameboy.

Sounds like Quarth. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarth

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Haha, yes, thankyou! I was finding it difficult because the name is so generic, but it makes me look even more dumb when is such a simple name. Cheers !

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

President Ark posted:

Quarth.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Gonna try this, been trying to remember a NES game that I still wonder if it truly existed or if I dreamed about it as a child.

It was a action sidescroller a bit like Ninja Gaiden, I remember the game over screen was with the player character tied up and being lowered into lava until you pressed continue. I also think one of the first bosses was a giant.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I spent an evening trying to find any trace of this, it was a mech/walker game with very low polygons, each mech had two legs, the polygons were so low that i remember them just having points for feet, the joints for the legs were backwards so they ran like chickens, there were also a bunch of different types, light medium and heavy i believe and when you moved the mouse the 'head' would move wherever you looked and the legs would compensate, you'd fight other mechs in arenas and i believe it was just a versus game.

I played it in the mid 90s with a Mac at my dads office on a LAN.

Again, very minimal graphics, basically just a body and legs for each mech and just boxes for the levels.

Drew a quick mech from memory, all flat polygons.

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 22, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

david... posted:

I spent an evening trying to find any trace of this, it was a mech/walker game with very low polygons, each mech had two legs, the polygons were so low that i remember them just having points for feet, the joints for the legs were backwards so they ran like chickens, there were also a bunch of different types, light medium and heavy i believe and when you moved the mouse the 'head' would move wherever you looked and the legs would compensate, you'd fight other mechs in arenas and i believe it was just a versus game.

Avara. The Ambrosia Software guys made it (or published it, anyway). I "played" it singleplayer, which mostly amounted to wandering around and destroying automated defenses.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Gonna try this, been trying to remember a NES game that I still wonder if it truly existed or if I dreamed about it as a child.

It was a action sidescroller a bit like Ninja Gaiden, I remember the game over screen was with the player character tied up and being lowered into lava until you pressed continue. I also think one of the first bosses was a giant.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrath_of_the_Black_Manta

I think this is it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ambrosia Software

I wish they'd port a bunch of their back-catalog to ios. None of it's really aged all that well, but playing it on non-apple hardware would be blasphemous and I want to do some mid '90's nostalgia.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I can see it now... you're flying spaceships around and then Cap'n Hector shows up and reminds you to support shareware and purchase something in the Ambrosia app-store.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Avara. The Ambrosia Software guys made it (or published it, anyway). I "played" it singleplayer, which mostly amounted to wandering around and destroying automated defenses.

You beautiful bastard, I had the 'av' part lodged in my brain but was sure it was a false memory, thank you.

Edit:

I think my memory drawing was pretty accurate!

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I vaguely remember a game that starts off in a carnival, then you wake up as a doll on an island.

I don't think it was supposed to be scary; It might even have been an edutainment game as the only games I was allowed to play when I was 3 or 4 were basically edutainment games, StarCraft and Doom. Go figure. :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Anatharon posted:

I vaguely remember a game that starts off in a carnival, then you wake up as a doll on an island.

I don't think it was supposed to be scary; It might even have been an edutainment game as the only games I was allowed to play when I was 3 or 4 were basically edutainment games, StarCraft and Doom. Go figure. :v:

Island of Dr. Quandary, a puzzle edutainment game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

Island of Dr. Quandary, a puzzle edutainment game

And number three of the most asked games right under Return Fire and Castle of the Wind. Funny how specific games that get no praise today are remembered so fondly from people's childhood.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

And number three of the most asked games right under Return Fire and Castle of the Wind. Funny how specific games that get no praise today are remembered so fondly from people's childhood.

Return Fire made it into EGM's "100 Best games of All Time" in issue #100*, and I think that's the only time I've ever heard it mentioned outside of this thread

*Before they wussed out and made their #200 list :airquote:for their time:airquote: so they wouldn't have to make any choices that might piss off bitter nerds.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

david... posted:

Again, very minimal graphics, basically just a body and legs for each mech and just boxes for the levels.

I want to say Cyberstrike if only because the mech design is similar to that but not as crude.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I throw in these 2 every once in a while but no one has ever got them. Both are early 90s and arcade games.

First was a side scroller that I remember as being a Mario game. That narrows it down too much so I guess something that looks like super Mario world. The only point I remember is a giant pie. Just running along and there's this huge pie on the ground. Jumping in it either killed you or teleported you somewhere. (Maybe it just looked like a pie)

Second was a game where you walked along a flat plane. It was outside and the character was a generic muscly dude. Gameplay was mostly jumping and ducking to avoid various weapons coming in from off screen. You could also punch and kick to destroy them. I think there were no bad guys, but if they were they went down in one hit. I mostly remember this one because when I played it the machine was on some sort of free mode and I just sat there playing for hours.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I throw in these 2 every once in a while but no one has ever got them. Both are early 90s and arcade games.

First was a side scroller that I remember as being a Mario game. That narrows it down too much so I guess something that looks like super Mario world. The only point I remember is a giant pie. Just running along and there's this huge pie on the ground. Jumping in it either killed you or teleported you somewhere. (Maybe it just looked like a pie)

Second was a game where you walked along a flat plane. It was outside and the character was a generic muscly dude. Gameplay was mostly jumping and ducking to avoid various weapons coming in from off screen. You could also punch and kick to destroy them. I think there were no bad guys, but if they were they went down in one hit. I mostly remember this one because when I played it the machine was on some sort of free mode and I just sat there playing for hours.

Second one sounds kinda like Gladiator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(video_game)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ponzicar posted:

Second one sounds kinda like Gladiator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(video_game)

This has been suggested before I think. It's got the right idea but it's not it. I sure it was all outside. There was no shield either.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
There was a sega genesis game where half the game was a monkey island style point and click set in the future and the other half was some sort of platformer. This might have been 2 games on 1 cartridge or they could have been the same game I dont remember exactly.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

This has been suggested before I think. It's got the right idea but it's not it. I sure it was all outside. There was no shield either.

Was that second one Fist of the North Star?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's the sort of thing I could probably google for if it wasn't the middle of the night and all that. Sorry in advance.

A DOS shareware game of the 90s, you controlled a sphere on a flat surface (2d, sprite-based graphics) and collected items and avoided enemies to get to the end of each level. One of the early levels, when viewed through the overhead map, spelled out the name ASTRID in all caps.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brasseye posted:

There was a sega genesis game where half the game was a monkey island style point and click set in the future and the other half was some sort of platformer. This might have been 2 games on 1 cartridge or they could have been the same game I dont remember exactly.

Cosmic Spacehead

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The arcade that was in the mall when I was a kid had a really odd poker game that had a gun. You had to shoot the cards to decide what to do rather than just like pushing buttons or whatever. It wasn't there long as it was neither popular nor very good. It was also stupidly hard to win (or maybe I just sucked at poker) and you had to have a shootout when you lost. It sticks out in my mind because of how bizarre it is in retrospect.

I remember two particular extremely stereotyped characters. One was a grizzled, middle-aged gun slinger who offered his gun to cover all bets if he ran out of money and another was a young woman in a revealing dress that offered a ring. I think the dress was blue. I think there was another character or two but I forget. It was a long time ago and I played it like twice.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Cosmic Spacehead

Thats the one!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The arcade that was in the mall when I was a kid had a really odd poker game that had a gun. You had to shoot the cards to decide what to do rather than just like pushing buttons or whatever. It wasn't there long as it was neither popular nor very good. It was also stupidly hard to win (or maybe I just sucked at poker) and you had to have a shootout when you lost. It sticks out in my mind because of how bizarre it is in retrospect.

I remember two particular extremely stereotyped characters. One was a grizzled, middle-aged gun slinger who offered his gun to cover all bets if he ran out of money and another was a young woman in a revealing dress that offered a ring. I think the dress was blue. I think there was another character or two but I forget. It was a long time ago and I played it like twice.

Showdown?

(Finding a non-MAME ROM link)

[EDIT] Here's a hastily re-uploaded image:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

david... posted:

My incorrect guess was going to be Stellar 7, but I just wanted to thank you for going above and beyond and making a really good drawing of what you were looking for. :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Earlier today, I suddenly remembered a game that I recall watching my cousin play way back in the early 90s. I just can't remember for the life of me what it was.

It was either on the NES or Genesis. It was an adventure game I think, and it had your options for actions listed on each side of the screen. The usual stuff, like TALK, USE, LOOK, etc. I remember it being fairly dark in tone, perhaps set in a mansion or a castle? I remember my cousin left the building and went into a greenhouse, and there was a plant that he had to water to get it to grow a flower or a fruit that he needed, and had to go looking for a watering can and a way to fill it up with water to proceed. I also remember him going into a bedroom and looking at a painting, and a ghost knight covered in chains appeared and killed him afterwards?

I know it's not much to go on, but does anyone have any clue what game this is?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Maniac Mansion seems too easy. Uninvited?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The White Dragon posted:

Maniac Mansion seems too easy. Uninvited?

YES! It was Uninvited. I had to check a FAQ to see if the greenhouse part lined up with what I remember, and it totally does.

Thanks! That was a pretty good guess, considering how vague my information was.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Dexie posted:

YES! It was Uninvited. I had to check a FAQ to see if the greenhouse part lined up with what I remember, and it totally does.

Thanks! That was a pretty good guess, considering how vague my information was.

That is the only one of the NES Macventure (adventure games that were originally on Mac if I remember right) that I need still (not counting Deja Vu 2 because that was only on the Deja Vu doublepack for gameboy [and Mac]

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Showdown?

(Finding a non-MAME ROM link)

[EDIT] Here's a hastily re-uploaded image:

Yup, that's exactly it and wow that looks even worse than I remember. Somehow. No wonder it vanished so fast.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

juliuspringle posted:

That is the only one of the NES Macventure (adventure games that were originally on Mac if I remember right) that I need still (not counting Deja Vu 2 because that was only on the Deja Vu doublepack for gameboy [and Mac]

They all were released for PC and I believe at one point cell phones with updated graphics, much harder gameplay, and unedited storylines. The NES versions had to be cut down for cart space and content (You never used "capsules" in the original Deja Vu for example, because there was a dirty needle instead! NOA objected). Also they're getting remakes with bonus content now starting with Shadowgate and apparently Deja Vu is next.

Uninvited is a strange creature. The original game was dark and violent almost like Evil Dead or something, but the NES game is down right cutesy! Like the little cookie eating monster, he's adorable! The Kemco guys also took liberty with some of the art making it look more like manga, but give them a break they're Japanese.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Uninvited is a strange creature. The original game was dark and violent almost like Evil Dead or something, but the NES game is down right cutesy! Like the little cookie eating monster, he's adorable! The Kemco guys also took liberty with some of the art making it look more like manga, but give them a break they're Japanese.

It may have looked a little more cutesy but what is burned into my retina is southern belle skeleton that upon interacting with it:

You have gotten the
Attention of the
Mysterious lady.

She turns to face you. Her
Face is devoid of any
Flesh.

You are frozen with horror
As she beggins ripping you
Appart.

She laughs hysterically as
Your body slumps to the
Ground.

Copy and pasted from Gamefaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563472-uninvited/faqs/25533

Didn't have nightmares but it has stuck with me....

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Wamdoodle posted:

Didn't have nightmares but it has stuck with me....

Yeah, that is the moment everyone remembers.

I remember Cookie Demon and his Cookie Dance. With the funky music.

I want to watch him do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, that is the moment everyone remembers.

I remember Cookie Demon and his Cookie Dance. With the funky music.

I want to watch him do it now.

Here you go!

http://youtu.be/xjl3yLYePmE?t=19m12s