Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Golbez posted:

My incorrect guess was going to be Stellar 7, but I just wanted to thank you for going above and beyond and making a really good drawing of what you were looking for. :)

It was such a basic game that it's really all I had to offer as information, and they were burned in my memory because i was obsessed with how they moved around, it blew my mind at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I sort of recall a Civ styled game coming out recently that was weird because it had no multiplayer. I thought it was Endless Legend, but apparently it does have multiplayer.. Is there anything like that or am I just misremembering?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've got a toughie- two large custom lightgun-style games I only ever saw at Dave & Busters. One had you playing as a firefighter, using a hose apparatus to put out fires. The other was a deep sea hunting simulator, having you hunt progressively more terrifying/huge sharks, kraken, anglerfish, etc. Can anyone identify either of these?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I've got a toughie- two large custom lightgun-style games I only ever saw at Dave & Busters. One had you playing as a firefighter, using a hose apparatus to put out fires. The other was a deep sea hunting simulator, having you hunt progressively more terrifying/huge sharks, kraken, anglerfish, etc. Can anyone identify either of these?

Brave Firefighters and The Ocean Hunter, both games by Sega.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 5, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Your descriptions sound specific enough to be googled, so I tried that and got Brave Firefighters and The Ocean Hunter.

efb

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Ocean Hunter is right, but I think the Brave Firefighters is a generation or two before what I saw- it was really high-end stuff.

God, I wanna play both of those, now.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I remember a game from when I was younger, probably minimum 10-15 years ago, unsure what platform it was, but you were a kid in a spaceship that crashes somewhere on a cliff.
Remember it feeling like a sidescroller kind of like Prince of Persia or something. I think the bad guys were shadows or slimes.

Another one was an old PC racing game with a topdown style. I remember there was a schoolbus and that's about it. It was a lot of fun from what I remember.

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

Spiteski posted:

I remember a game from when I was younger, probably minimum 10-15 years ago, unsure what platform it was, but you were a kid in a spaceship that crashes somewhere on a cliff.
Remember it feeling like a sidescroller kind of like Prince of Persia or something. I think the bad guys were shadows or slimes.

Another one was an old PC racing game with a topdown style. I remember there was a schoolbus and that's about it. It was a lot of fun from what I remember.

The first one sounds like: http://www.mobygames.com/game/heart-of-darkness

Dunno about the second.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Spiteski posted:

This might be Ignition.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Those both looks like the ones I am thinking of, thanks!
Ignition looks like it'd still hold up playing with the kid, might have to sort out a working version. Not sure about Heart Of Darkness though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Speaking of racing games, that jarred an old memory I have of a racing game for pc.

I don't know which year it would've come out in, but graphically it was made of primitive 3d polygons. You drove a (blue?) indy car, first person, on a circular track. You could make some specific adjustments to your indy car. Its method of piracy protection was asking you historical race car questions before you could start up a race.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of racing games, that jarred an old memory I have of a racing game for pc.

I don't know which year it would've come out in, but graphically it was made of primitive 3d polygons. You drove a (blue?) indy car, first person, on a circular track. You could make some specific adjustments to your indy car. Its method of piracy protection was asking you historical race car questions before you could start up a race.

Maybe... IndyCar Racing?

Similarly I'm looking for a racing game for the Amiga. It was kind of Super Cars-y or Super Off-Road in that it was top-down with the whole track taking up the screen. The main gimmick was that it was a 4-player racer where you could choose a variety of different vehicles; mainly I remember there being sports cars, regular cars, bigger cars and even drag racers which were super loving fast but couldn't turn for poo poo. There might have been bikes too, I don't remember.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Spiteski posted:

Those both looks like the ones I am thinking of, thanks!
Ignition looks like it'd still hold up playing with the kid, might have to sort out a working version. Not sure about Heart Of Darkness though.
Ignition really is great, probably my favourite racing game. I've had issues getting it working properly under Windows 7, though. Still don't have any solution.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Hakkesshu posted:

Similarly I'm looking for a racing game for the Amiga.

Skidmarks/Super Skidmarks
or maybe Micromachines if there was some scrolling.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ChrisXP posted:

Skidmarks/Super Skidmarks
or maybe Micromachines if there was some scrolling.

No, it's neither. From my memory it's straight top down and looks exactly like Super Sprint or Super Off-Road with no scrolling. I also remember the car select screen just being one large picture of like 20 different car types seen from the top.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MMAgCh posted:

This might be Ignition.

Christ, came in to post this exact description meaning exactly this game! So thanks for solving mine like some sort of pre cog!

Edit: was the top down 4 player one called 'carnage'?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 6, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I played the hell out of this on the computers at Middle School. They used the historical question requirement to try and keep us from playing without permission by keeping the sheet locked away (and eventually they threw it out). We got around it by quitting and restarting until we got the question that asked about a specific year, because it was the only question we had the answer memorized to.

We would drive in the wrong direction around the track to smash into the other cars to watch them blow up in all their polygonal glory, because that poo poo was impressive as hell back then.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There's an older title that also fits the bill, Indianapolis 500. First racing game I ever played! Using a weird-rear end joystick that you sort of gripped horizontally with your fist, no less. Never seen anything like it since.

Zaodai posted:

We would drive in the wrong direction around the track to smash into the other cars to watch them blow up in all their polygonal glory, because that poo poo was impressive as hell back then.
…and this was pretty much all I ever did in it. :negative:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There was this game in the arcade, and I am going to guess early to mid 90s. It was a fixed gun game and I think the theme was zombies or some poo poo. If I remember correctly one of the first levels was on a ship or something and you fought zombie dogs at some point.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

blackguy32 posted:

There was this game in the arcade, and I am going to guess early to mid 90s. It was a fixed gun game and I think the theme was zombies or some poo poo. If I remember correctly one of the first levels was on a ship or something and you fought zombie dogs at some point.
Gun Survivor 2: Biohazard Code Veronica aka Resident Evil Arcade?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it's neither. From my memory it's straight top down and looks exactly like Super Sprint or Super Off-Road with no scrolling. I also remember the car select screen just being one large picture of like 20 different car types seen from the top.

Did Slicks 'n Slide ever have an Amiga version?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

Gun Survivor 2: Biohazard Code Veronica aka Resident Evil Arcade?

No. It was way before that. It was still sprites. In the nes/snes days

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Check out Beast Busters, Mechanized Attack (terminators rather than zombies but similar) and Zombie Raid.

Actually check out Beast Busters and Mechanized Attack anyway since pre-Neo Geo SNK stuff is legit as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSWgr8rF0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXFLbBehv-I&t=240s

Monster Raid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUViySsUpZw

Laser Ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3YiM4pbFlQ

Note that Zombie Raid's lightgun is shaped like a shotgun and actually requires you to pump it/etc. to reload, do you by any chance remember what the gun was like?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure it was beast busters. The gun used was an uzi. Thanks!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MMAgCh posted:

There's an older title that also fits the bill, Indianapolis 500. First racing game I ever played! Using a weird-rear end joystick that you sort of gripped horizontally with your fist, no less. Never seen anything like it since.
…and this was pretty much all I ever did in it. :negative:

That's gotta be it. Thanks, and yeah the crash effects were impressive for their time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never played it but just read about it. It was a squad level turn-based strategy game released on PC in the mid 90s. I think it may have been a warhammer 40k game but I'm not sure. I think it had pretty good reviews but it was later fairly well known for being basically impossible to play on any sort of modern computer.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I sort of recall a Civ styled game coming out recently that was weird because it had no multiplayer. I thought it was Endless Legend, but apparently it does have multiplayer.. Is there anything like that or am I just misremembering?

The settlers of catan game? I think it did not include multiplayer.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never played it but just read about it. It was a squad level turn-based strategy game released on PC in the mid 90s. I think it may have been a warhammer 40k game but I'm not sure. I think it had pretty good reviews but it was later fairly well known for being basically impossible to play on any sort of modern computer.

Chaos Gate was the 40k game from the mid 90s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah there were a few Warhammer 40,000 strategy games in the mid nineties, Chaos Gate is definitely the one infamous for not wanting to obey on a modern machine though. If it's not that check out Final Liberation and Rites of War.

blackguy32 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was beast busters. The gun used was an uzi. Thanks!

No problem, I love that SNK made a shooter with ludicrous gibs and such in 1990. :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

turn-based strategy? Maybe Space Hulk?

http://www.abandonia.com/is/games/421/Space+Hulk.html

There's a new remake that just came out too.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

There was an old PC game, probably DOS based that I played in the early 90s that I can't remember the name of. It was a side-scrolling platformer of some kind, the background of the first or some early level was a starry sky, and I want to say your character is blue but I can't be sure. My mind keeps insisting the word "Cosmo" was in the title, but it is NOT Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. If anyone knows what the gently caress this game is I would be much obliged.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Jia posted:

There was an old PC game, probably DOS based that I played in the early 90s that I can't remember the name of. It was a side-scrolling platformer of some kind, the background of the first or some early level was a starry sky, and I want to say your character is blue but I can't be sure. My mind keeps insisting the word "Cosmo" was in the title, but it is NOT Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. If anyone knows what the gently caress this game is I would be much obliged.

Captain Comic is the only game I know where there's a starry sky and a blue character.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Stab in the dark, but is it Hocus Pocus?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jia posted:

Sounds like it might have been "Alien Carnage" AKA "Halloween Harry"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXeIW2p83o

Beerdeer posted:

Chaos Gate was the 40k game from the mid 90s

Yeah this was the one.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Trying to think of the name of a more recent turn based strat RPG for PC. Had a cover system and each member's commands were presented on a radial that appeared on their character. Also had a very vibrant color style, and I only remembered the game because Dungeon of the Endless looks so much like it. Help

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bitch Twinkles posted:

Trying to think of the name of a more recent turn based strat RPG for PC. Had a cover system and each member's commands were presented on a radial that appeared on their character. Also had a very vibrant color style, and I only remembered the game because Dungeon of the Endless looks so much like it. Help

Halfway?

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Damnnnnnn, that's it. Thanks!

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Jia posted:

Crystal Caves?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Here's a tough one; It's a platformer, pretty sure it was on Genesis but it could be SNES, I think it might have been a Disney game too.
All I have to remember it by is that it had a really cool lighting effect in at least one level where it had two circle light sources over the player, one would light up the background tiles, and the other would light up the floor and I think it would even bend to match the floor.

If anyone remembers this game, I promise I'll think you're awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

.TakaM posted:

Here's a tough one; It's a platformer, pretty sure it was on Genesis but it could be SNES, I think it might have been a Disney game too.
All I have to remember it by is that it had a really cool lighting effect in at least one level where it had two circle light sources over the player, one would light up the background tiles, and the other would light up the floor and I think it would even bend to match the floor.

If anyone remembers this game, I promise I'll think you're awesome

Not quite the same thing you're describing, but maybe Donkey Kong Country 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPaNj8o6dlw&t=1m