Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Spiteski posted:

I have two games I am trying to remember or find

First one is an old fighter jet game or demo that I played around 14-15 years ago. Might have been one of those PC mag discs with a bunch of games or demos.
I distinctly remember it had an eject button and you'd end the level if you ejected and watch the little pixelated man in a cockpit seat parachute to the ground. I dont remember too much storyline or air combat so I'm leaning more towards a demo here.

I wanted to suggest F29 Retaliator, but then I remembered that 1989 wasn't 14-15 years ago. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I wanted to suggest F29 Retaliator, but then I remembered that 1989 wasn't 14-15 years ago. :sigh:

Yea it wasnt that old. It definitely had better graphics than that, though that video totally reminded me of the Red Baron games. So that's a net positive result.

Saint Septimus posted:

This is almost certainly Motocross Madness (1 or 2).

Yup that's the one! I just googled the name to check and the first image result was the exact cliffs and the biker being flung through the air. Perfect, thanks!

Edit: didnt see the post about the Jane's games. But I don't think it was that, pretty sure it wasn't using aircraft carriers and the ejector seats didnt have the rocket flare underneath. I'll keep googling things and see if anything springs up in the meantime.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
What is this background music from? I'm fairly sure it's from a lovely licenced game, and 99.9% sure it's SNES.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pneub posted:

What is this background music from? I'm fairly sure it's from a lovely licenced game, and 99.9% sure it's SNES.

Sounds very much like a Donkey Kong Country song. I can't place it though. I've never played DKC3 so it might be from that?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Shima Honnou posted:

Sounds very much like a Donkey Kong Country song. I can't place it though. I've never played DKC3 so it might be from that?

I'm definitely hearing the steel drums, but I don't remember it from DKC3 (I could be wrong).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Pneub posted:

DKC2. Wrinkly's Kong Kollege.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Spiteski posted:

First one is an old fighter jet game or demo that I played around 14-15 years ago. Might have been one of those PC mag discs with a bunch of games or demos.
I distinctly remember it had an eject button and you'd end the level if you ejected and watch the little pixelated man in a cockpit seat parachute to the ground. I dont remember too much storyline or air combat so I'm leaning more towards a demo here.

It's not one of the Falcon games?

You could have played both 4.0 and 3.0 at that time.

Falcon 3.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEwBSYeSCg

It's impossible to find any vanilla 4.0 videos out there.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm almost certain this is it, yeah. I'd need to see the multiplayer demo map to be 100%, but that looks like what I remember from the singleplayer and the HUD also looks really familiar.

Thanks for the help, dudes.

No problem, but I'm a bit confused as to why you would want to play Motion Sickness Simulator 1997. Just watching that video for a second made me want to throw up. It just seems to handle really weird.

Spiteski posted:

So we're thinking around the year 2000 ish...?

I'd go on MobyGames and start doing research on this, except MG is loving down...

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I'm trying to remember an arcade game I remember playing a few times at Tam's Egg Roll in Dallas before they got rid of it--it was a one-on-one fighting game, and it was clearly a Mortal Kombat ripoff--I'm 80% sure that you played photographs of fighters and not hand drawn sprites. Also, there was either a Venus de Milo or a Roman column in the background of one of the stages, and if you punched somebody near it, it would break into pieces. Also the game wasn't very good. Any ideas?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Sounds a bit like warriors, but I only know that as a pc game, didn't think it was on an arcade, so probably not.

Same deal, but, war gods?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 27, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spoderman posted:

I'm trying to remember an arcade game I remember playing a few times at Tam's Egg Roll in Dallas before they got rid of it--it was a one-on-one fighting game, and it was clearly a Mortal Kombat ripoff--I'm 80% sure that you played photographs of fighters and not hand drawn sprites. Also, there was either a Venus de Milo or a Roman column in the background of one of the stages, and if you punched somebody near it, it would break into pieces. Also the game wasn't very good. Any ideas?

Survival Arts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EGUGDArhtE

Check at around 12:00

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 27, 2015

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I think that's it! Thanks!

...yikes, this game looks worse than I remember.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Holy poo poo the ending of this game is amazing.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Fredrik1 posted:

It's not one of the Falcon games?

You could have played both 4.0 and 3.0 at that time.

Falcon 3.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEwBSYeSCg

It's impossible to find any vanilla 4.0 videos out there.

This want it, but after clicking youtube links for a while from thus video I found F 22 raptor. Pretty sure that this is the game I am looking for. The ejector animation looks spot on. Was 1997 though so I was 3 years off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bwahahaha that's such a blatant MK knockoff, its amazing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Skunkrocker posted:

Holy poo poo the ending of this game is amazing.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Who keeps sending me these faxes about how boring their life became after they stopped being a ninja?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

My favorite part is they imply heavily this dude is like Shang Tsung, stealing souls (apparently by eating their flesh). And when you beat him, a bunch of blue faces come out of him like they are the spirits of those he defeated in SURVIVAL ART. Except it specifically says they're all "powerful human beings." Like Hitler, several times!

:godwin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skunkrocker posted:

My favorite part is they imply heavily this dude is like Shang Tsung, stealing souls (apparently by eating their flesh). And when you beat him, a bunch of blue faces come out of him like they are the spirits of those he defeated in SURVIVAL ART. Except it specifically says they're all "powerful human beings." Like Hitler, several times!

:godwin:

I'm kinda surprised that Mortal Kombat hasn't let you fatality Hitler yet. That'd be pretty amazing.

Sniper Elite let you shoot Hitler in in the balls in slow motion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What game is this?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Google Image Search suggests it's Moon Crystal for the NES.

Little Miss Teapot
Dec 12, 2007
OH NO, I'M A SUGAR BOWL!!!
My parents and I may be sharing a false memory on this one, or my childhood computer was haunted --- but the 3 of all all (very vaguely) recall (about) the same game.

It would've been in the early 90's for PC. Our PC had Windows 3.1, but it also could have been a DOS game because about 50% of the games we'd play we'd have to boot from there.

It was a 2D (but nicely rendered 2D, like the Peter Pan Story Painting Adventure ( http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/25119/Peter%20Pan%20-%20A%20Story%20Painting%20Adventure_6.png )) sidescrolling exploration/adventure game, where you played as "a guy" (Dad says a monk), exploring a very dark castle (or something like that), and you carried a lantern (Dad and I remember a lantern, my Mom says a flashlight).

And that's it. We remember the game about the guy with the lantern. I recall it explicitly being a 2D sidescroller, and an adventure game because the goal was to explore through the 'castle', but I don't recall a verb-based UI system like Maniac Mansion, just that you needed to get through a series of rooms...although how, I'm not sure.

But I have an idea of what it looked like! lovely ARTIST INTERPRETATION: http://i.imgur.com/TvtlaFt.png --- only much more pixelated, but this pretty much exactly what I can remember about this game.

Dad brought home a lot of weird games from work, he was a programmer back in the day, and he'd bring home a lot of demo's or previews and such that he got from coworkers. Which sucked when you wanted to get the rest of the levels and the company didn't exist anymore! I will never know the premium content of Wacky Wheels! Curses! For all I know this may have been written by a local Boston-area guy and never released. Or it could never have existed!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Stab in the dark, Loom. And I don't even necessarily think that's right, but hopefully it'll point someone else in the right direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loom_%28video_game%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvYcUPiRps

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hi thread. Got a couple from my childhood I'm wondering about - one probably easy, the other not so easy.

First one I played in 1992 on school computers in Australia. I think they were Apple computers, but wouldn't swear to it. The game had simple graphics as well as text. You started in a prison cell atop a mountain. I remember 'call guard' being an important command for escaping. Once you got out, you were thrown into a ski simulator with conifers coming at you which I never got past in my limited time playing.

Second one, 1993-4, DOS game I think, very primitive poly graphics. I didn't have a clue what was going on as the world was very abstract and there wasn't much/any text. I remember a giant dog type creature and I think the game culminated in you blasting off in a rocket (I never got that far). Wow that's really vague sorry!

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Maugrim posted:

Hi thread. Got a couple from my childhood I'm wondering about - one probably easy, the other not so easy.

First one I played in 1992 on school computers in Australia. I think they were Apple computers, but wouldn't swear to it. The game had simple graphics as well as text. You started in a prison cell atop a mountain. I remember 'call guard' being an important command for escaping. Once you got out, you were thrown into a ski simulator with conifers coming at you which I never got past in my limited time playing.

Second one, 1993-4, DOS game I think, very primitive poly graphics. I didn't have a clue what was going on as the world was very abstract and there wasn't much/any text. I remember a giant dog type creature and I think the game culminated in you blasting off in a rocket (I never got that far). Wow that's really vague sorry!

No idea on the first, but I'll guess Another World for the second.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Spiteski posted:

This want it, but after clicking youtube links for a while from thus video I found F 22 raptor. Pretty sure that this is the game I am looking for. The ejector animation looks spot on. Was 1997 though so I was 3 years off.

I was on the verge of suggesting f22 raptor, I played that a lot but I couldn't remember an ejection sequence in that game.

It's probably the only game I got accused of cheating in because I found out that you'll never get hit by missiles as long as they come from your 10 or 2.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 29, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

I was on the verge of suggesting f22 raptor, I played that a lot but I couldn't remember an ejection sequence in that game.

It's probably the only game I got accused of cheating in because I found out that you'll never get hit by missiles as long as they come from your 10 or 2.

I remember the ejection sequence but holy poo poo I thought F22 Raptor was older than 1997, for real. We got a CD Rom that came with like twenty discs I'm guessing sometime after 97, but I swear it was before that. Anyway, all the programs and games that came with it were old as balls. Things like Cyberrace, Shadow President, and Return to Zork." It swear it also came with F22 Raptor. That's why I asked for the 2000 clarification. Goddamn. That's loving weird.

...and now that I think about it, also completely impossible, because we had that CD rom before 1997. In fact, we had that CD rom for sure before 97, and I'm pretty sure around 95. I know this because a. I owned Doom 95, b. My parents rented Carnosaur sometime after it came out for some ungodly reason (might have been Carnosaur 2) and I remember this clearly because I was playing Doom while they were watching it, and c. while I was playing Doom while my parents watched Carnosaur I was listening to Manson's Portrait of an American Family which came out in 94. Also I got Duke Nukem 3D for Christmas in 96. I knew I had the cd rom for at least a year.

My mind is hosed, everyone. Up is down. Black is white. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria. :tinfoil:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm going crazy trying to think of the name of this game. It was on the Pogo games website like a decade ago, and it was a puzzle game where you played as a floating head (I think) that moved constantly and bounced off poo poo, and you needed to manipulate switches and environment poo poo to get around/collect goodies for points. I'm reasonably certain the name started with a B.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Don't really know what the Pogo website was, but are you thinking of one of the Bumpy games?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nope. It had an overhead view and was grid-based. And a generally darker color scheme with a lot of gray/blue I think.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

top down shooter, probably mid 90s. it was a competitive online game set in space / the future with pixel/sprite graphics I think. I think it maybe had death match and capture the flag. the only weapons I really remember were different bright colored beam / plasma orb looking things.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
subspace, probably

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

it was actually little dudes you controlled and not ships, forgot to mention that part. :negative:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Isometric Playstation 1 game set in an urban enviroment.

I THINK it played like Ikari warriors, and I think it had talking animals / furry-like characters?

The only thing I remember for sure was that it had cigarette advertising in-game, and vanished from shelves in the UK, after that was outlawed a year or two after it's release. For some reason, my brain keeps telling me called something similar to 'Lucky & Wild', although it's nothing at all to do with the Namco arcade machine.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tyma posted:

Isometric Playstation 1 game set in an urban enviroment.

I THINK it played like Ikari warriors, and I think it had talking animals / furry-like characters?

The only thing I remember for sure was that it had cigarette advertising in-game, and vanished from shelves in the UK, after that was outlawed a year or two after it's release. For some reason, my brain keeps telling me called something similar to 'Lucky & Wild', although it's nothing at all to do with the Namco arcade machine.
Firo & Klawd maybe? It matched a couple of your criteria at least.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MMAgCh posted:

Firo & Klawd maybe? It matched a couple of your criteria at least.

Thank you, case closed!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

baram. posted:

top down shooter, probably mid 90s. it was a competitive online game set in space / the future with pixel/sprite graphics I think. I think it maybe had death match and capture the flag. the only weapons I really remember were different bright colored beam / plasma orb looking things.

Was it the one Sony released, that you used to be able to play on "The Station" back around the Planetside 1 era? Possibly Infantry Online, though that doesn't match the game in my head I was trying to think of.

Fingers Mazda
Mar 25, 2008
There's a non-zero chance I'm mis-remembering many details to this, but was there ever a (Neo Geo? SNK?) arcade game with similar art and game play to Metal Slug but was martial arts/ ninja themed? It was a platformer beat em up hybrid where you could either two players choose between three characters, or four choose between five( pretty sure I'm mis-remembering how many people could play it at once).
This was important since the character select has characters kneeling in a dojo, and the unpicked character gets kidnapped right after players choose theirs. I know once character fought by swinging Buddhist prayer beats at enemies, and another may possibly had been a black kung fu master with an afro (might even be the same char).
The first level might be a asian village and the killer whale from Metal Slug MIGHT have made an appearance as a stage hazard.
My brother and I both swear this game was a local super market during the mid to late 90s

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fingers Mazda posted:

There's a non-zero chance I'm mis-remembering many details to this, but was there ever a (Neo Geo? SNK?) arcade game with similar art and game play to Metal Slug but was martial arts/ ninja themed? It was a platformer beat em up hybrid where you could either two players choose between three characters, or four choose between five( pretty sure I'm mis-remembering how many people could play it at once).
This was important since the character select has characters kneeling in a dojo, and the unpicked character gets kidnapped right after players choose theirs. I know once character fought by swinging Buddhist prayer beats at enemies, and another may possibly had been a black kung fu master with an afro (might even be the same char).
The first level might be a asian village and the killer whale from Metal Slug MIGHT have made an appearance as a stage hazard.
My brother and I both swear this game was a local super market during the mid to late 90s

Ooo! I just saw this not to long ago on Hardcore Gaming 101. It looks like its by Konami and it is Mystic Warriors: Wrath of the Ninjas. It mentions how the character you don't pick is kidnapped and you have to rescue them and it shows the black Buddhist kung fu master. Here's the article scroll down to see it.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/konamirunnguns/konamirunnguns2.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've been trying to come across details for an arcade game I played at, of all places, my elementary school. When I was in first grade (1992/1993), my school acquired an arcade cabinet with an anti-smoking/anti-drug game. I don't remember a lot of details about it, but the school had it for a week (sat in each of the two first grade rooms for a couple of days and then was available to play at the PTO carnival that week) and I haven't come across any details of mention of it since. There were 3-4 levels to choose from and one of the levels involved a personified cigarette riding a machine (lawnmower?), but I don't remember any of the other levels or characters.

I've spent years searching for this game and the only indication it actually exists is that a few of my classmates remember playing the game as well, one of them bringing up the cigarette trying to run the protagonist over with a machine of some sort. I've even gone so far as to contact my old school to see if they have any paperwork from that far back, but they weren't able to find anything. I'm unsure whether this cabinet/board was available outside a school trading program.

The thing that frustrates me most about this search is that I went to a fairly small public school in rural Illinois and I refuse to believe my dinky school was the only place this thing went to. I thought maybe it had something to do with D.A.R.E., but I'm not coming up with anything. Likely created in mid/late 1992, possibly early 1993.