Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheGune posted:

There is one game that's been driving me nuts that I can't find til this day, because I only played it for about a day or so until they took it away at my local arcade back in the 80's. Here is what I can remember.
- It was mostly 1 vs 1 fighting.
- You could move up/down on the Y-axis.
- There were sometimes multiple enemies, but not like Final Fight quantity.
- This makes searching between "fighting game", "brawler", or "beat em up" really difficult to pin down.

Things I KIND OF remember.

Pretty sure your game is Mutant Fighter and this creature is the boss Pazuzu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uG3B7JP2o&t=897s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deakul posted:

Trying to remember a pseudo 3D space game that was in the works, I think they released a demo or tech demo or something in the past year.

It had a long-ish name, it's reminiscent of the original Wing Commander where it's pretty much all sprites.

Wings of Saint Nazaire. Haven't heard anything substantial from it in a while.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hakkesshu posted:

Wings of Saint Nazaire. Haven't heard anything substantial from it in a while.

Yeah, that's it.
Thanks.

DYAR
Oct 8, 2002

Pablo Gigante posted:

Looking at that list I think it's Metamorphic Force, there's a birdman boss that looks really similar to what you drew at 6:07 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfDHpUerHc

That's not it, but I DO remember that game. That looks fun to fire up.

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure your game is Mutant Fighter and this creature is the boss Pazuzu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uG3B7JP2o&t=897s

That's it! The beginning shows a Colosseum, and Pazuzu does do a meteor-like super move in that video. All of my arcade memories are now complete.

Thank you for putting this to rest, al-azad!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Your memories of a 20 year old game that you played for 1 day were pretty accurate all things considered.

DYAR
Oct 8, 2002

It's weird, I thought this would show up on more obscure lists of games. I guess the issue was that it was 1v1 but also plays like a BeatEmUp - weird to categorize.

DYAR fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 2, 2015

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
It was a SNES game. Either a side-scrolling beat 'em up or a SF style fighting game.
I think it may have been made by SNK?
Anyway the main thing I remember was that when you beat the game, a digitized "Engrish" female voice shouted "CONGRADGURATIONS! CONGRADGURATIONS!"

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Asking on behalf of a friend (because I personally have no idea what the gently caress game he's talking about).

As per his description (keep in mind this is a board game):

The game played out as such: To start, you would select from a number of hexagon shapes maps that could be placed together to form a larger coherent map. The number of map pieces you choose depended on how many characters would be in the game. The game would be played by 2-6 players, all arranged into two teams. Each team would draw from a massive deck of potential characters, until the number of characters per each team was met. The goal of the game was for each team to lead their characters around the map to preset locations which would trigger an event that corresponded to the location. The events came in 4 types: Fantasy, Wild West, Modern, and Future. You would have to match a color coded stat that the event called for with the same stat on the character, and roll off against a chart that compared the colors. Red was the worst, white was the best. Like the events, the character pool you would draw from had characters from those 4 epochs.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm at a loss and I've never heard of any game like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:psyduck:

tell your friend to stop playing with people who homebrew catan vs arkham horror. next time he'll ask you why they told him to roll anal circumference

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i want you to forget more games so we get cool drawings like this

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Two games I can't quite remember: one was a PC top-down puzzle game similar to Chip's Challenge where you control a green puck. I think it was an older game, Win95-era. The other was a side-scrolling arcade game (beat-em-up platformer hybrid, I think) where you play as some kid with a yo-yo, and the bad guy was some kind of mad scientist in a weird robot.

e: Another two I just remembered: one was a text adventure kind of game on the PC, released 2002 at the latest, but with first-person graphics (pretty decent for the time, I think). All I remember is there was some cursed sword somewhere that told you to pick it up, and if you did, you got a game over where you kill your enemies, but you also go on to kill your friends, wife, dog, etc. It was this weirdly long and drawn out paragraph detailing all this.

The other game I remember very clearly, the problem is the name is way too generic to find anything on. It was a Build engine FPS with a haunted house theme, simply called "Nightmare" as far as I can remember. Obviously googling "nightmare fps" isn't very helpful, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Nitemare 3D?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

Nitemare 3D?

Yes! I forgot it was spelled funny :downs:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

betterinsodapop posted:

It was a SNES game. Either a side-scrolling beat 'em up or a SF style fighting game.
I think it may have been made by SNK?
Anyway the main thing I remember was that when you beat the game, a digitized "Engrish" female voice shouted "CONGRADGURATIONS! CONGRADGURATIONS!"

Was it definitely on the SNES? This may be the Genesis port of SNK's Street Smart.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Alabaster White posted:

Two games I can't quite remember: one was a PC top-down puzzle game similar to Chip's Challenge where you control a green puck. I think it was an older game, Win95-era. The other was a side-scrolling arcade game (beat-em-up platformer hybrid, I think) where you play as some kid with a yo-yo, and the bad guy was some kind of mad scientist in a weird robot.

Kye and Spinmaster, respectively?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cheez posted:

Kye and Spinmaster, respectively?

Yessss that's them. I played the poo poo out of both for ages so I'm shocked I ever forgot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rorac posted:

Asking on behalf of a friend (because I personally have no idea what the gently caress game he's talking about).

As per his description (keep in mind this is a board game):

The game played out as such: To start, you would select from a number of hexagon shapes maps that could be placed together to form a larger coherent map. The number of map pieces you choose depended on how many characters would be in the game. The game would be played by 2-6 players, all arranged into two teams. Each team would draw from a massive deck of potential characters, until the number of characters per each team was met. The goal of the game was for each team to lead their characters around the map to preset locations which would trigger an event that corresponded to the location. The events came in 4 types: Fantasy, Wild West, Modern, and Future. You would have to match a color coded stat that the event called for with the same stat on the character, and roll off against a chart that compared the colors. Red was the worst, white was the best. Like the events, the character pool you would draw from had characters from those 4 epochs.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm at a loss and I've never heard of any game like that.

You might have more help in the board game thread but what year did he play this in?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Neo Rasa posted:

Was it definitely on the SNES? This may be the Genesis port of SNK's Street Smart.
I believe it was SNES, only because I didn't have Genesis. It's possible that I played at a friend's house. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Apparently my friend managed to find the game. "Duel of the Ages"

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
This is a long shot but it's been bothering me for years so I'll ask

I remember playing a platformer on my dads Amiga in the 90s. It was fairly vertical. The main character wielded a sword and I'm sure his clothes changed colour to reflect his health. I remember that you could do an AOE attack by possibly pressing down and attack but it drained your health to do so. I also remember a skeletal dragon type thing. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

I remember playing a platformer on my dads Amiga in the 90s. It was fairly vertical. The main character wielded a sword and I'm sure his clothes changed colour to reflect his health. I remember that you could do an AOE attack by possibly pressing down and attack but it drained your health to do so. I also remember a skeletal dragon type thing. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Lionheart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoiHk_3siYg

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I have a weird one from years ago I was just thinking about:

It was a 3/4 isometric game (I think tile based) where you walked around as a pig man with a cane who (I think) vomited on enemies to attack them. I believe the goal was to keep going up in a tower but I have no idea why.

It was on PC, and I played it in the late 90s (98-99 maybe?) No idea where it was from since my dad installed it on our computer randomly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

Actually looking further it's probably Leander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROgK7srbDM

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

No that doesn't look familiar at all. I remember the player character being less many. More like link from the zelda series. Thanks though :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Primetime posted:

I have a weird one from years ago I was just thinking about :

It was a 3/4 isometric game (I think tile based) where you walked around as a pig man with a cane who (I think) vomited on enemies to attack them. I believe the goal was to keep going up in a tower but I have no idea why.

It was on PC, and I played it in the late 90s (98-99 maybe?) No idea where it was from since my dad installed it on our computer randomly.
Lol I googled "isometric game pigman with cane" and I found an archived SA thread from 4 years ago where you asked the same question and someone figured out you were misremembering details from Mystic Towers

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926&userid=153433

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lol I googled "isometric game pigman with cane" and I found an archived SA thread from 4 years ago where you asked the same question and someone figured out you were misremembering details from Mystic Towers

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926&userid=153433

Wow haha - apparently I also need help remembering that I needed help remembering the name of the game.

To be fair - that guy looks like a pig man

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jayo posted:

No that doesn't look familiar at all. I remember the player character being less many. More like link from the zelda series. Thanks though :)

Look up I'm pretty sure it's Leander

Primetime posted:

Wow haha - apparently I also need help remembering that I needed help remembering the name of the game.

To be fair - that guy looks like a pig man

No worries and he totally does

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Look up I'm pretty sure it's Leander

Yeah that's totally it thank you! :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I fell into a 90's nostalgia hole today thinking about those old chat-room games like The Palace I used to frequent back in the day and was trying to remember the name of this one chatroom game that was similar, but you had full body avatars that walked around that you could could change the appearance of and had homes and items I think. Had to have been between '94-'96 probably. I vividly remember this drat elf head that everybody used. Anyone remember the name of this game?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

explosivo posted:

I fell into a 90's nostalgia hole today thinking about those old chat-room games like The Palace I used to frequent back in the day and was trying to remember the name of this one chatroom game that was similar, but you had full body avatars that walked around that you could could change the appearance of and had homes and items I think. Had to have been between '94-'96 probably. I vividly remember this drat elf head that everybody used. Anyone remember the name of this game?

It was released in 1997, but the homes bit makes me think of CyberTown. It was called ColonyCity back then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pogonodon posted:

It was released in 1997, but the homes bit makes me think of CyberTown. It was called ColonyCity back then.

Hmm, I never played this one. The one I'm thinking of was all in 2D, looking on from the side.

Edit: Oh poo poo I found it! WorldsAway/Dreamscape is what I was thinking of. The word "VZone" popped into my brain after posting earlier tonight and sure enough that lead me to this.

Yup. This brings me back :corsair:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

explosivo posted:

those old chat-room games like The Palace

Christ, that just brought up horrible memories.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone remember an old flash game where you built little wireframe robots that looked sort of like these things and they'd try to walk around?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Anyone remember an old flash game where you built little wireframe robots that looked sort of like these things and they'd try to walk around?

Sodaconstructor?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yep, that's it. I guess it was Java and not Flash, and it seems to be dead. That's too bad. Thanks, though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

HMS Boromir posted:

Yep, that's it. I guess it was Java and not Flash, and it seems to be dead. That's too bad. Thanks, though.

I hardly call the creators wanting to rebuild it and needing cash "dead", though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's sleeping.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
No one was able to help me last time, but I'm giving this half-memory another shot, now that I have more details. It's a toughie!

This was an edutainment game, possibly packaged with some sort of history learning tool.

It may have been black and white, making me suspect it was on a mac.

It involved completing minigames on a grid to stop tyrants who had traveled back in time from...taking over the world or something. You had to control more squares than them at the end.

The tyrants weren't actual people because of course not- they were random clipart faces of pirates and such. No proving I know the Spanish revolution better than Hitler, sadly.

Graphics for the game were almost all edited stock images and clipart.

One of the main minigames involved going "down the mousehole", which involved clicking through a bunch of arbitrary environments to find a hidden treasure. This was worth a ton of squares, so it's all I really remember doing. I still remember most of the absurd steps involved-they never changed. The last one was completing the famous Santayana quote.

Most of the other minigames involved using or finding something using the game's history database. One was a "jester" that would randomly give you or the tyrant squares.

I suspect the game was produced by Broderbund, due to some overlap with the early learner series, such as the playroom. I don't think this was one of the ones listed on wikipedia, since there was plenty of reading involved.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 21, 2015

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
There was this PSP game (I think) where you play as a an evil guy's minion and your evil boss kidnaps a princess. You get a guilt trip and try to rescue the princess. I think it's Japan only? I'm not sure. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RickDaedalus posted:

There was this PSP game (I think) where you play as a an evil guy's minion and your evil boss kidnaps a princess. You get a guilt trip and try to rescue the princess. I think it's Japan only? I'm not sure. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is it Dokuro? If so it's out on Steam.