Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

My dog is a really laid back happy little guy. The day before yesterday, he ate something that disagreed with him, and therefore did not "go" the whole day. The same day, my landlord attempted to pet him right above his tail and he growled and snapped at her. He's never done this except when feeling threatened (IE, someone acting violently toward him - I had a crazy neighbour who was violent and screamed who was eventually evicted, who he snarled at), so I was completely shocked and scolded him. He immediately rolled onto his back and let her pet him normally.

Yesterday, he had a really bad bowel problem, and got crap alll over my living room floor. After cleaning the carpet (happened at 3am), I tried to get him cleaned up because a lot of it was stuck to his fur. He was dragging his bottom across the floor and whining, and I finally managed to grab him (gently). I put a piece of Kleenex over his bottom, tried to wipe (did not pull fur, or otherwise cause him any discomfort) and he growled loudly and snapped at me. He then backed underneath my kitchen table, into the corner, and sat there staring at me and growling. If I even tried to touch him, he snapped at me.

I freaked out, my dog has never shown any signs of being violent, so I did all I could at 3am and locked myself in my room (he typically sleeps on my bed with me, but I wasn't about to let him after he'd just acted crazy and had crap all over his fur). He spent the night alternating between whining, crying, and growling at my door. This morning he seemed fine, and despite the sleep deprivation I woke up early to try and clean him again. Same growling, same snapping.

I don't really know what to do at this point as he obviously has to get clean - he is smelly and I felt super guilty crating him today with it stuck to his fur, but I tried for 30 minutes this morning and ran out of time before I had to get to work. I made an appointment with the vet for Thursday to have him checked out (he needs his shots soon anyway), but do any of you have any idea what could be causing this bizarre behaviour (especially the aggression) on his part? Should I take him to emergency? I saw no signs of blood or any injury. I'm really freaked out by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Have you asked the breeder?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

1. take him to the loving vet, don't let him sit in his own poo poo

2. don't buy byb puppies next time

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

See a drat vet you idiot.

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

I guess I could ask her, but I have no idea how this would be related to his breeding. I am more wondering if I'm overlooking something to do with his "pipes" with him having gotten into human-food (which is what made him sick) - leftover mini-wheats a friend left in a dog-accessible place. I made a vet appt immediately upon getting to work, and that's the first available. I'm asking if it warrants an emergency visit.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Solution #3: throw him out and get a new one, he is clearly defective

Infinite Might
Mar 14, 2007

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of Bob Dole!

If hes snapping when you're trying to pet him he should get his butt looked at as soon as you can. It sounds like it is some sort of pain.

Even if it isn't, he will still need to get some kind of behavioral analysis done so both ways he's going to the vet it seems.

Profile says you live in western Canada, so if you live in Vancouver or Victoria they both have 24 hour hospitals for things like this (I am unsure of other cities but most vets have after hours if you can't get an appointment now/today)

Edit:Thursday is way too late things like this can go bad really really fast. I have seen it happen and it is not good. If your rear end hurt enough for you to lash out I would hope you would see a doctor the same day.

Infinite Might fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2008 around 20:55

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

YOU'RE FIRED
(clean my litterbox)

girlmecha posted:

I made an appointment with the vet for Thursday to have him checked out (he needs his shots soon anyway), but do any of you have any idea what could be causing this bizarre behaviour (especially the aggression) on his part? Should I take him to emergency? I saw no signs of blood or any injury. I'm really freaked out by it.

You need to go to the vet NOW, it sounds like he's in a lot of pain.

edit: beaten, but it bears repeating

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

Infinite Might posted:

If hes snapping when you're trying to pet him he should get his butt looked at as soon as you can. It sounds like it is some sort of pain.

Even if it isn't, he will still need to get some kind of behavioral analysis done so both ways he's going to the vet it seems.

Profile says you live in western Canada, so if you live in Vancouver or Victoria they both have 24 hour hospitals for things like this (I am unsure of other cities but most vets have after hours if you can't get an appointment now/today)

I live in the Vancouver suburbs - nothing open at 3am, and I had to be at work at 8am this morning, so I could not take him in first thing. The Thursday appt. is the first one I could get with my vet. He's 2 1/2, it seems pretty late for behavioural problems to develop.

Infinite Might
Mar 14, 2007

girlmecha posted:

I live in the Vancouver suburbs - nothing open at 3am, and I had to be at work at 8am this morning, so I could not take him in first thing. The Thursday appt. is the first one I could get with my vet. He's 2 1/2, it seems pretty late for behavioural problems to develop.

If hes biting at you it is already too serious, see my last posts edit. Please find an Emerg vet after work.

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

mushroom_spore posted:

You need to go to the vet NOW, it sounds like he's in a lot of pain.

edit: beaten, but it bears repeating

I just question why he would be totally fine other than his bottom being touched. He did not appear to be whining, or upset, or in any kind of pain this morning, he just wouldn't let me touch his butt. I patted him and rubbed his stomach fine, attempting to coax him to let me look, but he wouldn't let me. Is that typical for dogs if they have an injury, to behave totally normally unless you get anywhere near a sore spot? He's never been injured in any way before.

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

Infinite Might posted:

If hes biting at you it is already too serious, see my last posts edit. Please find an Emerg vet after work.
I'm going to do so, thanks

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

girlmecha posted:

He's 2 1/2, it seems pretty late for behavioural problems to develop.

My dog magically became dog aggressive at age 4

And yes, if you touch a dog in a sore spot it is perfectly normal for them to freak out and bite you. Take him to the vet! Like, now, not later.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Since you're refusing to go to the e-vet, in the mean time, get a rubber glove and stick a finger up his butt. Use a pinky finger because it's a small dog. See if you can express its anal glads.

Watch out! Those things can shoot buttjuice like 10 ft

Have fun, post pictures.

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

SachielDVangel posted:

Since you're refusing to go to the e-vet, in the mean time, get a rubber glove and stick a finger up his butt. Use a pinky finger because it's a small dog. See if you can express its anal glads.

Watch out! Those things can shoot buttjuice like 10 ft

Have fun, post pictures.

I am not home with him right now. I am at work. I will be home in about 3 1/2 hours to take him to the vet. My vet also told me that they were expressing themselves and I did not have to have it done, but I guess I will leave that determination to the e-vet.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

What the hell is wrong with you? Take your dog to a goddamn vet. Friendly, well socialized dogs do not growl and bite for no reason. He's obviously in pain.

After you get him treated, adopt him out to someone who is willing to care for their pets when they're sick instead of letting them sit in their own poo poo for days. Christ.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Do you have a good vet recommendation in Vancouver, while you're here? I have a friend who lives there who asked me.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

YOU'RE FIRED
(clean my litterbox)

girlmecha posted:

Is that typical for dogs if they have an injury, to behave totally normally unless you get anywhere near a sore spot? He's never been injured in any way before.

Um, that's normal for ANY animal. When you touch a painful place, you cause them pain, and they bite at you to make it stop.

vet vet vet vet vet vet vet seriously for all you know he could be dying of something right now vet

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

Lioness posted:

Do you have a good vet recommendation in Vancouver, while you're here? I have a friend who lives there who asked me.

Nope. Have never been to a vet in Vancouver, sorry. I live way out in the suburbs.

Edit: depending on area my vet might be able to help her, but what area is she in?

girlmecha fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2008 around 21:16

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

girlmecha posted:

I freaked out, my dog has never shown any signs of being violent, so I did all I could at 3am and locked myself in my room (he typically sleeps on my bed with me, but I wasn't about to let him after he'd just acted crazy and had crap all over his fur). He spent the night alternating between whining, crying, and growling at my door. This morning he seemed fine, and despite the sleep deprivation I woke up early to try and clean him again. Same growling, same snapping.

Seriously, you ran into your room and hid until the morning? WTF is wrong with you?

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

MoCookies posted:

Seriously, you ran into your room and hid until the morning? WTF is wrong with you?

If you'd woken from a dead sleep and had your dog try to bite you for the first time ever, you wouldn't be slightly intimidated?

There are no "e-vets" where I live - like I said, I live way in the suburbs. I am taking him to my vet's office after work, when they are open, sans appointment.

Superconsndar
Jul 4, 2007

hello hello frankie you called I can't hear a thing

quote:

If you'd woken from a dead sleep and had your dog try to bite you for the first time ever, you wouldn't be slightly intimidated?

No. Due to the circumstances, I'd say "gently caress, he must really be in pain" and take him to an Evet. Even if that meant driving to another town.

People who feel "intimidated" by their small dog expressing pain and discomfort in the only way it knows how dogs shouldn't have dogs.

Also, you left him half covered in his own poo poo for the entire night? Nice.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

girlmecha posted:

There are no "e-vets" where I live - like I said, I live way in the suburbs. I am taking him to my vet's office after work, when they are open, sans appointment.

I've seen plenty of suburbs in my area that have at least one e-vet. Have you actually tried doing a search for one?

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

porkchoppie posted:

I've seen plenty of suburbs in my area that have at least one e-vet. Have you actually tried doing a search for one?

The closest is two towns (45+min) away, and I don't even believe it is open 24h.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

YOU'RE FIRED
(clean my litterbox)

girlmecha posted:

The closest is two towns (45+min) away, and I don't even believe it is open 24h.

45 minutes is...not really that inconvenient when there's a probable medical emergency. You need just suck it up and go.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

girlmecha posted:

Nope, but then again, I'm an intelligent, responsible pet-owner who doesn't take poo poo from my pets. Even when I do get in an iffy situation, I at least have the balls to try to do the right thing by my pets, though it may be tough or I may be loving exhausted.

You should have muzzled the dog immediately and taken it to the vet. There are many, many household items that could serve as a make-shift muzzle if you don't happen to have one on hand (though its a good idea to have one with your doggy first aid supplies). If your dog was in such extreme pain so as to cause it to attack you, then surely that's a red flag that it needs to go to the vet immediately? At the very least, such a sudden behavior change deserves some immediate attention. Animals will often hide pain instinctively, which is why the responsibility is on you to get to the bottom of things and get him the proper vet care as soon as is humanly possible. Its not like he knows to how to Google "Vancouver emergency vet" for you.

Superconsndar
Jul 4, 2007

hello hello frankie you called I can't hear a thing

MoCookies posted:

Nope, but then again, I'm an intelligent, responsible pet-owner who doesn't take poo poo from my pets. Even when I do get in an iffy situation, I at least have the balls to try to do the right thing by my pets, though it may be tough or I may be loving exhausted.

This. The fact that the dog was sick and in pain aside, It's striking to me that there are pet owners out there who would be "intimidated" and react by hiding in another room if their dog tried to bite them.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

YOU'RE FIRED
(clean my litterbox)

Superconductor posted:

This. The fact that the dog was sick and in pain aside, It's striking to me that there are pet owners out there who would be "intimidated" and react by hiding in another room if their dog tried to bite them.

My brain's still stumped by any pet owner not knowing that an animal will bite you if you touch them where they hurt.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

Superconductor posted:

Don't forget letting the dog stay covered in his own poo poo because the owner is too scared to clean it off.

Some people should just not own pets.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

girlmecha posted:

By a Yorkie? Are you loving serious?

And Muzzle a yorkie? Come on.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

OP if you live in an alternate universe where suburbs don't have 24 hour vets, call your normal vet and ask for a recommendation to another place. Thursday sounds too late to see your pooch.

And for the future, find out where the nearest 24 hr. e-vet is. There is really no excuse.

Kela
Dec 30, 2007

I have three vets. The one who frequently has to cancel appointments and is permanently booked, but is super awesome; the one that is convenient and more expensive but can always take me at the drop of a hat; and the local emergency vet. If you don't live in BFE Wisconsin, there is another vet that is available, if not an e-vet. Don't make your dog suffer for no reason.

Call in sick to work, don't just leave your animal lying there.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

If you can't deal with a sick animal, then why do you even have him? You think I had fun spending all day on Sunday cleaning up a poo poo covered bathroom, or enjoy picking up cat puke and giving it a quick once over to make sure there's nothing in there but cat food, or keeping tabs on all of the litter boxes to make sure that no one had liquid or funny colored poop or terrible smelling pee? Dear god no, that's disgusting, but I care about my cats so I will cheerfully do those things if it means that they're happy and healthy.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Stentorian Longing posted:

1. take him to the loving vet, don't let him sit in his own poo poo

2. don't buy USDA-licensed puppy mill puppies next time

Fixed that for you.

girlmecha posted:

First, I would just like to remind everybody that this is girlmecha that we're dealing with here. It would surprise me if she had dumped the dog a year ago and is just attention whoring.

Second, assuming this is a real post, Jesus gently caress you're an idiot, GM. It's a Yorkie weighing what...6lbs*...and you seriously had to hide in your room all night because it snapped at you? Man the gently caress up and take care of your dog.

*Edit: Possibly even less because as I recall you went for the Deluxe Teacup option.

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at Aug 12, 2008 around 00:32

Kela
Dec 30, 2007

SolanaSkyes posted:

First, I would just like to remind everybody that this is girlmecha that we're dealing with here. It would surprise me if she had dumped the dog a year ago and is just attention whoring.
I was wondering where it was coming from. Thanks for the link, fun read!

Infinite Might
Mar 14, 2007

SolanaSkyes posted:

I thought that username was familiar. I just didn't know where from. Thank you for reminding me, SolanaSkyes .

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

After breaking land speed records to get home (thank god it was light traffic), my dog is absolutely fine. Except for something spicy he ate - I'm guessing hot sauce that he licked from a plate close to the food my friend left out. This made his bottom very sensitive, according to the vet, which was what caused the snapping/growling.

She called me silly for being so worried and told me that it was in no way an emergency situation. She also told me that I probably should remind my friend not to leave plates in his possible "lick" range, because his bottom was a little irritated (totally my bad, she does it almost every time she's here).

Thanks for the paranoia though, guys!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

girlmecha posted:

After breaking land speed records to get home (thank god it was light traffic), my dog is absolutely fine. Except for something spicy he ate - I'm guessing hot sauce that he licked from a plate close to the food my friend left out. This made his bottom very sensitive, according to the vet, which was what caused the snapping/growling.

She called me silly for being so worried and told me that it was in no way an emergency situation. She also told me that I probably should remind my friend not to leave plates in his possible "lick" range, because his bottom was a little irritated (totally my bad, she does it almost every time she's here).

Thanks for the paranoia though, guys!

So you did not actually take the dog in to the vet then? And the vet did not physically examine him?

You think that she can magically diagnose him over the phone?

Stop posting here, please.

Thanks for the idiocy though, retard!

girlmecha
Mar 17, 2004

punk rock for sissies

Captain Foxy posted:

So you did not actually take the dog in to the vet then? And the vet did not physically examine him?

You think that she can magically diagnose him over the phone?

Stop posting here, please.

Thanks for the idiocy though, retard!

No, I TOOK him to the vet. I even left work early to do so. All of that was said by her AFTER she looked at him I would have had no idea that something hot had caused it. She basically had a look at him, determined that, and said "he's fine, don't leave plates out, see you Thursday".

girlmecha fucked around with this message at Aug 12, 2008 around 01:05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

girlmecha posted:

No, I TOOK him to the vet. I even left work early to do so. All of that was said by her AFTER she looked at him I would have had no idea that something hot had caused it. She basically had a look at him, determined that, and said "he's fine, don't leave plates out, see you Thursday".

And I'm supposed to infer that how exactly? You didn't mention taking him to the vet in your post, you just mentioned driving home really fast. First you were all 'oh hurrr does he need to go to the vet' and then all of a sudden you were all 'oh he's fine '. I'm not a loving mind reader.

My comment about your idiocy stands, though. Nice ED entry, BTW.

«4 »