Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
might as well post this before goon city gets neglected,finished or not(shadows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchConnection
Aug 27, 2007

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They don't see me coming: that's what you're missing."
Ok votes are in and its almost unanimous,
Goontrain:19
Goonbase: 2
All aboard for a new project!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I don't mind running Goon Train if no one else will. I got the time, web space, and I am constantly at a PC for updates.

I'm not sure I could make the absolute best template though : (
I'm gonna tackle it, but I'm pretty new to pixel art.

We'd also need someone to tackle the engine and caboose, then slam everything inbetween.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For the template, definitely include brown soil/ground underneath so we can expand there (mine diggers, robbers, horse hijackers, etc.) and possibly some sky (helicopters, hot air balloons, whatever). Any thoughts?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The one I'm working on now will have room below for things beside the train, etc.
I'll also leave sky space.

I'm gonna post here for approval first, likely tomorrow, before I consider making a thread.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Whoever does it, hosting shouldnt be a problem since you can just place images all next to each other and scroll horizontally. Just host all the images on flickr, they allow it as long as the images link back to flickr.

That is also a plus, each image on flickr could have the artists info. Image hosting + artist credit = :)

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Shakra posted:

Whoever does it, hosting shouldnt be a problem since you can just place images all next to each other and scroll horizontally. Just host all the images on flickr, they allow it as long as the images link back to flickr.

That is also a plus, each image on flickr could have the artists info. Image hosting + artist credit = :)

Great idea! Thanks!

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Tanag posted:

Great idea! Thanks!

I know, I'm pretty amazing.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Okay posting here for approval before I attempt to make a new thread.

What does everyone think of this as a rough template?

Click here for the full 828x151 image.

I didn't wanna tackle the engine before people approved this, so the Phantom Train is taking up a temporary engine. It also kind of helped me scale it, though it doesn't fit the isometric perspective completely.

Does it suck, or is it a decent start to make my own submission then start a thread?

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 9, 2009

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That looks good.

Is this a passenger train, a freight train, or mixed? It is important, because passenger cars usually have different connections between the cars than freight trains. Passenger cars need to have rubbery passageways connecting the cars, so that your passengers don't fall off when they are trying to get to the dining car.

If it is a mixed passenger and freight train, then all the passenger cars should connect to each other, so that you don't have to climb over a coal car to get to the dining car. That might make it a little bit more challenging to assemble the train.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angela Christine posted:

That looks good.

Is this a passenger train, a freight train, or mixed? It is important, because passenger cars usually have different connections between the cars than freight trains. Passenger cars need to have rubbery passageways connecting the cars, so that your passengers don't fall off when they are trying to get to the dining car.

If it is a mixed passenger and freight train, then all the passenger cars should connect to each other, so that you don't have to climb over a coal car to get to the dining car. That might make it a little bit more challenging to assemble the train.

Just include the rubbery passages as an optional section that people can use or not, I wouldn't get bogged down in details, especially because the whole point is to be creative.

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Yeah. I don't think many people care about how things fit together, after having a goon tower that had wall-less sections, floors made entirely of cats, and whatevermajigs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You guys are right, I just got caught up in the moment.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I figured it would be a mix, but good call on the passenger paths between cars.

I'll let a few more people reply, if no complaints then I will start a thread and buy a domain.

Edit:
I just had another idea. If people think the horizontal scrolling might become too much, I could make it like a train yard and we could have 3-4 trains.

Something like this

code:
Train 1 ==============================================

Train 2          ==================================================

Train 3     ======================================

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 9, 2009

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
The only thing i can think of is it could be a little bigger, I understand it's a template so you might not have made it to scale.

edit:

A train yard would be pretty kick rear end too.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

HorseDickSandwich posted:

The only thing i can think of is it could be a little bigger, I understand it's a template so you might not have made it to scale.

edit:

A train yard would be pretty kick rear end too.

I tried to scale it off of the sprite we were using in Goon City.

These guys
[img]https://wi.somethingawful.com/10/10c353a32338f8792e7c15288d3a3bc0e7f6cdad.gif[img]

It's pretty similar to the Goon Tower one as well so I figured we'd keep a similar scale going.

I can increase the size if people want though.
I can also add a train yard if it starts to get to big.

I'm trying to think of a good background, since the tracks on a flat colour or just white look odd. Something tile-able would be great.
That isn't required to get started though.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Tanag posted:

I'm trying to think of a good background, since the tracks on a flat colour or just white look odd. Something tile-able would be great.
That isn't required to get started though.

Don't make a background, that would be a fun side project, like the giant quilt projects in CC.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

my first try at something, monty python's black knight, any criticism?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

A letter box on fire?
it's a bit too small for detail dude.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Well I guess that's it then. Should I start the thread now or make my real contribution first?

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Tanag posted:

Well I guess that's it then. Should I start the thread now or make my real contribution first?

make a thread

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Shakra posted:

make a thread

Done and done!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3051991

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
Shakra, you better contribute. Your Goon City idea addicted me to pixel art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Shakra, you better contribute. Your Goon City idea addicted me to pixel art.

I'm going to make a giant penis train. It will of course, be black.