Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Raws
Apr 24, 2008

Gambl0r posted:

Also as an alternative to positioning semi-transparent gifs with z-index in CSS: You could keep one master image of the entire city and split it up into 256x256px tiles and use those as a custom tile set in Google Maps. Then you could even put markers on the map with the artist's and building's name or something!

I was trying to think of how to implement something like this a little while ago, but actually keeping the GIFs intact, so as to cut back on the constant manual maintenance that would be needed. The Google Maps API couldn't be used, as it requires tiled images, but then again, the only "Google Maps functionality" we'd really need would be the ability to scroll around, and maybe click on tiles to get some metadata about them, like the author, a comment and a link or something. Perhaps we could whip up our own Google Maps-ish framework?

I imagine a site where the entire browser window is simply a scrollable area, with little to no interface to get in the way.

Even if Shakra starts out with a manually-assembled image, it'd be pretty cool to develop something like this on the side and eventually launch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raws
Apr 24, 2008

ih8ualot posted:

Just put him on the top of the town hall or something so I don't feel like such a goddamn retard.

Actually, the town hall would be a great place for him. He could be hiding in one of the shadows behind a column, or poking his eyes up above a window sill. Maybe with binoculars or a camera with a long lens.

Also, I'm working on a tile of my own! It involves wood and water.

Raws
Apr 24, 2008

Thriftwood posted:

A work-in-progress

You are my hero

Raws
Apr 24, 2008
And so they lived happily on Zoombini Isle, making small, useful products which were prized the world over:

But wait, there's more

Goon_City_Zoombini_Kit.zip (20 kb, requires Photoshop)