Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

So tonight and last night I have had phone numbers call my cell phone and show up as "withheld." When I go to call back it says there isn't a number. Is there a way to track this given there is no actual phone number to track?

Just asking because it creeps me out, I never get prank called and all of my friends that would even think of doing this were here with me when they called, both nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

No and quit being a baby.

HelterSkeletor
Oct 7, 2005

by T. Finn

just answer the loving phone coward.

ThaGrandCow
Nov 27, 2003

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

It's either your cell company trying to get in contact with you about something (normally a bill), or a telemarketer.

JewBoy
Sep 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

You could try to call your provider and see, or just wait for your bill to see if it's listed on there.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Did the callers prank you or was it just an empty call that has you saying hello for 5 minutes until you finally hang up?

edit: nevermind...

You should probably wait until they call again and then tell them off.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

Someone bold, someone blue, someone borrowed, someone new...

Ten to one it's a telemarketer.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

No, I did pick up and they threatened to kill me.

I mean, I know AT&T isn't exactly known for friendly customer service, but come on.

rbis4rbb
Sep 25, 2005

by angerbotSD

I never answer withheld/blocked calls. On the slim chance it's someone I want to talk to, they can leave a message.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Bieeardo posted:

Ten to one it's a telemarketer.

I used to be a telemarketer and a lot of the time the system got hosed up and I wasn't allowed to start on the call until the person on the receiving end was already completely pissed off because they had to say hello 100 times. Yes, the majority of people I called sat there for minutes on end saying hello.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

cory ad portas posted:

I mean, I know AT&T isn't exactly known for friendly customer service, but come on.

No, AT&T threatened me once because I went one minute over my limit. I had to plead for my life before a court of giant cell phones.

But to be serious, you should probably call the cops. They can trace phone calls whether or not the caller has their phone set to not send the ID.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

rbis4rbb posted:

I never answer withheld/blocked calls. On the slim chance it's someone I want to talk to, they can leave a message.

I never get them, so I don't really know any better. It's just very odd for someone to call me at 11pm on a Tuesday night and threaten my life.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

Someone bold, someone blue, someone borrowed, someone new...

Oh. In that case, make a note of when they called, and get in touch with AT&T. They usually take a pretty dim view of pranking with that 'service'.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bieeardo posted:

Oh. In that case, make a note of when they called, and get in touch with AT&T. They usually take a pretty dim view of pranking with that 'service'.

I've called AT&T before about tracing or blocking a number, and they only thing they could do to help was "we can charge you to change your number."

Call law enforcement. They can actually handle your problem.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!

Most phone providers (baring some voip/cellular) have a way to block anonymous calls - usually called anonymous call reject. I would suggest getting in touch with law enforcement and open a case. Also, contact the telco to get a trap and trace form (these usually require a subpoena)

Lay-Z
Mar 5, 2003

Goin' down to Tickfaw, gonna have myself a time...

I used to work for a guy that did that. What was funny about the whole thing was he was the only person to call my cell phone and withhold the number. He stopped doing it when I answered "Hi Matt" every time.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

cory ad portas posted:

Well who have you pissed off/ hates you?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007
Old Three Toes.

Could be the worse cousin of the telemarketer, the bill collector. Although they don't ususally threaten your life but your wallet/credit.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Well who have you pissed off/ hates you?

No one, I mean a work for a certain clothing store with a certain employee phone list, but I'm friends with everyone there, and none of them would go to the extent of calling me and creeping me the gently caress out without eventually calling from an actual number and fessing up to it.

Other than that my number's on my Facebook, but I don't have many friends, and the friends I do have would, like I said, fess up.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Some other questions.

Are you in high school?

Are you a weirdo or a dork?

Because if thats the case Im pretty sure someones just loving with you

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2008 around 03:29

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

Some other questions.

Are you in high school?

Are you a weirdo or a dork?

Because if thats the case Im pretty sure someones just loving with you

High school yes, weirdo no. I have a pretty good group of friends and played sports, never really hosed with anyone.

Believe me I've already covered these questions, that's why I posted here. I'm stumped. I just want to know if there's a way to track a seemingly non-existent number.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005
omglolhate

For australian goons, you can set up a nuisance call trace facility. What happens is Telstra (yay big telco a-gogo) records all calls that come through to your phone, and the service is free the first time for the first month. This is something you have to organise with your telephone provider however.
After each prank/annoyance call you receive, leave the phone off the hook for 10+ minutes. Sucks if you're a business but this will help stop them eventually. Write down when it's happened, including time and date.
Build up a log of at least 3 of these, the more better. Be patient. It sucks but either your nuisance caller will get bored or appropriate action can be taken eventually. When you have a log, get back in contact with your provider and provide them the information. Hey presto Telstra gets in contact with the offenders and issues a cease and desist. If that doesn't work then next log sent that's from the same source gets sent through litigation or something, i've never seen one get to that point so i'm not sure.

So yeah, sucks if you're getting them but that's how you stop it. If you build a log like the same for an American telco they should be able to do the same. No you'll never technically find out who's doing it due to privacy, but I guess if it goes far enough you'll find out eventually.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

cory ad portas posted:

High school yes, weirdo no. I have a pretty good group of friends and played sports, never really hosed with anyone.

Believe me I've already covered these questions, that's why I posted here. I'm stumped. I just want to know if there's a way to track a seemingly non-existent number.

Either way, the best way to handle it is to not pick up unknown calls anymore. If your creeped out, by all means, call the police but they probably wont care.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Either way, the best way to handle it is to not pick up unknown calls anymore. If your creeped out, by all means, call the police but they probably wont care.

The cops will care once he's murdered after they ignored his pleas for help. OHGOD OP YOU ARE GOING TO DIE GET HELP AABEYHUGRHEKJWNMC

THE_REAL_SHAQ
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Has anyone else been getting called by an auto dialer that you have to call back and its a loving call center?

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah I wasn't planning on picking up anymore, as of yet they have not called back. I'm not concerned enough to call the police and I'm not all

I'm just confused about a sudden onset of threatening random phone calls. Wondered if the internet could solve my problem.

REDICULOUS LOOSER
Apr 28, 2008

by DocEvil

cory ad portas posted:

I would tell them to come and get me. Nothing will happen, don't worry.

Wedemeyer
May 2, 2008
I steal other peoples food and am a twat

cory ad portas posted:

Other than that my number's on my Facebook, but I don't have many friends, and the friends I do have would, like I said, fess up.

Why would you put your number on your facebook?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Wedemeyer posted:

To invite poo poo like this. Why else?

Indoor Plumbing
Aug 3, 2004

cory ad portas posted:

Yeah I wasn't planning on picking up anymore, as of yet they have not called back. I'm not concerned enough to call the police and I'm not all

I'm just confused about a sudden onset of threatening random phone calls. Wondered if the internet could solve my problem.

What's your number?

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

Like I said, it's private and I don't have very many friends. The only people I'm friends with on there are people I have no issues with giving my phone number to.

Wedemeyer
May 2, 2008
I steal other peoples food and am a twat

cory ad portas posted:

Like I said, it's private and I don't have very many friends. The only people I'm friends with on there are people I have no issues with giving my phone number to.

My question still stands though. Why on earth would you do that? What compelled you to go, 'oh hey, think I'll put my number on Facebook!'?

I've never had a facebook account or any social networking account, but do people seriously do this? Seems like you're asking for things like this to happen.

Edit: VV you never said anything about facebook in the OP post, knucklehead. But nevermind, beating a dead horse here....

Wedemeyer fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2008 around 03:43

kimihia
Feb 1, 2002

Oh my gourd!

THIS IS THE END OF YOUR LIFE! CALLER ID DID NOT SHOW A NUMBER?!?

First of all, remember life back before Caller ID when you had to answer the phone to know who was calling?

Second, display of your number on the phone of the person you're ringing can be enabled or disabled in your phone options. On my phone I choose Options -> Calls -> Show or hide number -> Hide number. Now I am the SCARY BOGEY MAN who calls you with the "Withheld" phone number while you are out at dinner.

And as for your "private" phone number? Yeah, so I misdialled my friend. His number is a lot like yours. It was actually me calling.

Sorry about that! I was going to leave a voicemail but then I realised it wasn't my friend, so I didn't.

Problem solved!

Oh, but this isn't the GBS way. QUICK! CALL THE loving COPS! poo poo JUST GOT REAL! MY PHONE RANG!

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

kimihia posted:

Oh my gourd!

THIS IS THE END OF YOUR LIFE! CALLER ID DID NOT SHOW A NUMBER?!?

First of all, remember life back before Caller ID when you had to answer the phone to know who was calling?

Second, display of your number on the phone of the person you're ringing can be enabled or disabled in your phone options. On my phone I choose Options -> Calls -> Show or hide number -> Hide number. Now I am the SCARY BOGEY MAN who calls you with the "Withheld" phone number while you are out at dinner.

And as for your "private" phone number? Yeah, so I misdialled my friend. His number is a lot like yours. It was actually me calling.

Sorry about that! I was going to leave a voicemail but then I realised it wasn't my friend, so I didn't.

Problem solved!

Oh, but this isn't the GBS way. QUICK! CALL THE loving COPS! poo poo JUST GOT REAL! MY PHONE RANG!

Yeah, but back before caller ID people still didn't call me and threaten to kill me.

This thread is about loving tracking withheld phone numbers.

I have 13 friends on Facebook. I know each and everyone personally. No one can access my phone number but them, as my profile is private.

It's there for convenience's sake. Next time, read the OP. Thanks.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

cory ad portas posted:

Yeah, but back before caller ID people still didn't call me and threaten to kill me.

If you're still in high school, I doubt you were using phones before caller ID.

Indoor Plumbing posted:

What's your number?

I want his number too.

(And my loving X2 )

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do you like steak dinners and sex with handsome men?

cory ad portas posted:

Wondered if the internet could solve my problem.

You got told someone would kill you on the phone, you feel threatened and you're asking the internet for advice rather than do something about it..

Call the cops and report it you brain-dead stinkyhole. The internet isn't magically going to help make the phone calls stop you loving idiot.

Jesus christ.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2008 around 03:57

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

sov68n posted:

If you're still in high school, I doubt you were using phones before caller ID.

I want his number too.

(And my loving X2 )

I'm a senior. Yes I used phones before caller ID.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3828 days!

Somebody called you from a Nextel.

Instert mystery solved emoticon here plz.

Bleusman
Apr 30, 2006

I keep getting phonecalls from some number with one more digit than phone numbers have, but I've never posted a thread in GBS about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Amazing Rainbow
Mar 16, 2008

Gimmick.
"This kid is a living fakepost."

"i'm trapped in this well"

"grab the rope"

"i think i should dig"

«2 »