Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

TheDingo posted:

Yeah. I think this movie might actually be too bad for Rifftrax.

I think it might actually be just right. It's bad, but a lot of it is pretty riffable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?
The Happening is good, but I think the Halloween Riff is one of my all time favorites. Also Saw was surprisingly good despite not having Mike.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I think that's one of the ones I've never really seen! I used to put on a different tape every night and there are a few episodes that consistantly put me to sleep within 15 minutes or so.

Edit: for my money, though, the worst one they ever did was Werewolf. I mean, every single thing about the movie is terrible. The plot makes no sense. You can't hear what anyone is saying. The special effects suck beyond belief. There's no cotinuity. The music is horrifically bad. The dialogue - when you can hear it - is retarded.

I don't think there's one thing right about it.

Could probably say the same thing for Future War, too.

Werewolf and Future War were both awful, miles worse than New Moon, but I have to say Red Zone Cuba is the worst movie I can remember seeing on MST3K. None of the scenes seemed related to each other at all, and I'm still not sure what the hell it was supposed to be about.

New Moon is the best riff they've done in a while I think, I really prefer it when they actually rip into the movie for being awful rather than use the movie as a springboard to make jokes. The later seems to happen a lot when they riff "blockbuster" type movies, even terrible ones like "Transformers" or "Fantastic Four."

I think my favorite thing about New Moon though is that when the girl who played Bella and the guy who played Edward had to kiss the both seemed totally repulsed by each other. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the two romantic leads actually have negative chemistry, but it's pretty hilarious.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Diabolik900 posted:

See, I completely disagree with that. That's one of the main reasons I never got as into Rifftrax as MST. The ones I've seen use too many "This movie is so bad I want to gouge my eyes out" type lines, which I just don't think are as funny.

I may have worded that poorly, because I agree with you. It's really not funny when they make a joke where the punchline is literally "This movie is so bad that I would rather endure physical pain than watch it," but the best riffs are ones that are directly related to the badness of the movie: drawing attention to stupid lines or bizarre camera work, that sort of thing. To take an already quoted riff from New Moon as an example: "It doesn't make sense for me to love you" "the Twilight series summed up in nine words."

I meant I don't find it as funny when they use the movie as a springboard to make fun of something unrelated, like the Kelsey Grammer references whenever a car plows into something. Those sort of jokes work fine sometimes, but it seems like the weaker ones over-rely on them. They also tend to get recycled over and over. I'm almost positive there was a Kelsey Grammer reference in at least four Rifftrax in a row. I guess the best way to put it is that I find that riffs which are movie-specific and relate directly to what's going on work best, where more general jokes that can be made during any movie (and often are) aren't as good.

Plavski posted:

But maybe I'm just generally more interested in older movies than new ones. I'd much rather watch The Wild Women of Wongo than Transformers 2 for example.

I haven't seen any of TFC but I absolutely agree with this. I understand why they end up doing lots of recent huge releases, but I really wish they would concentrate on older films which are more riffable. I especially wish they would do more cheesy 80s movies, there are a ton out there and all the ones they've done so far have been top notch.

Sinfjotli fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 24, 2010

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Did..did we just relocate?

Yes, they've been purging megathreads from GBS for some reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just finished the riff of The Hunger Games. Please tell me the book was better than the movie.

It's a young adult book, so it isn't amazing or groundbreaking or anything like that, but it's certainly better than the movie was (I did enjoy the movie but it is pretty flawed.) I thought the series got worse as it went on so I'm not expecting too much from the follow up movies except for more Rifftrax fodder.

• Locked thread