Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I actually own more of the shorts than anything else. I like that they come pre-synced and since they're shorter the jokes are usually tighter as well.

I own all the shorts and while all of them are good here are my recommendations for best:

"The Trouble with Women" kind of short at 6 minutes but utterly hilarious workplace short telling supervisors not to be so goddamn sexist.

"Skipper Learns a Lesson" mainly for the subject matter of the short which is RACIST DOG.

"Patriotism" Bob Crane talks to little kids about patriotism. Oh and just about everything is patriotic according to him.

"Drugs Are Like That" two inane kids blathering on and on about what drugs are like.

"One Got Fat" this is that classic short film about monkey bicycle safety.

"The Terrible Truth" the harrowing tale of drug use that shows how a woman can go from kind of plain to smoking hot through a handy heroin addiction.

"Act Your Age" Jim vandalizes a desk and gets a lesson from the world's creepiest principal.

Those are all good and also the Petaluma Chicken/Why doesn't Cathy eat breakfast? combo is excellent as well. The Petaluma Chicken in particular is just so absurd, I don't think it even needed a riff to be funny. It could have just been a track of them laughing because they have no idea what's going on and it still would have been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Graham Wellington posted:

A cool idea that could either turn out great or unbelievably and deliciously awful.

I imagine there's going to be a lot of lovely, lovely entries, but I figure as long as the rifftrax people are listening to the content and deciding only to host the stuff they like, we could get some decent stuff out of this.

It's a pretty clever scheme, everyone wins. The fans making the tracks get to be internet famous, get to make a little money, and possibly get to meet Mike & Co. The rifftrax people get to sell content that they didn't have to spend any time or money producing. Good for them, I guess!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

I REALLY need to get my rear end in gear and start watching some of these. I went on a buying spree and bought like 100 bucks worth of riffs but I've only had time to watch about 4 or 5.

Is it the general consenus to just get most of the movies via Netflix?

I don't know if it's the general consensus but that's what I do, I can't imagine a more convenient way to do it. They come right to your door, the selection is wide enough so that you don't have to worry about not finding a movie, and it's discreet so that you don't have to embarrass yourself by telling the cashier at blockbusters that you're renting, say, Crossroads, or Glitter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does anyone use the riff player thing? I try to use it but every time I do, the DVD audio is really really quiet and impossible to hear (only the speech, though; the music is normal volume). I've fixed this problem several times, by digging around for about an hour on the rifftrax forums and doing something involving codecs, but the thing is I watch riffs infrequently enough so that I can never remember what I did, and I have to go back and do the whole search again, which is just too exhausting.

Does anyone else have that same problem? I like the idea of the riff player, but getting it working isn't really worth the effort, it's just easier to use the mp3 track I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mein Eyes! posted:

I hope they do something completely inane

I'm still holding my breath for Red Dawn, personally. There would be so much to talk about! Drinking deer blood, Soviet soldiers shooting school teachers, Swayze failing to find his pockets, snot bubbles, all kinds of things! I can't believe they haven't done it yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

The next Rifftrax Presents has been announced:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-presents/spiderman-2

It'll be Kevin, Bill, and the Comics Curmudgeon, Josh Fruhlinger.

Is this the first one without Mike? That'll be kind of weird.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Savantegarde posted:

well its a rifftrax presents... so no, its not the first one without Mike.

Oh, I missed that. Uh...oops. Nevermind then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And I've been trying to think of an excuse to watch Iron Man again, so this works out very well!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've actually kind of wanted an excuse to watch that movie; I'm having a hard time believing that it's as bad as people say, and I want to see for myself. But not enough to rent it without a rifftrax.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I really liked this short. I thought it was hilarious especially the broad ethnic stereotype of Tony Madrone and the patronizing way of the white doctor.

I think my favorite moment was:

Tony, your baby was born dead.

*HONK*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Western Backstroke posted:

DareDevil- This was the first Riff bought and I loved it. Such a flawed movie, such a spot-on riff.

The phrase "a freshly boned Ben Affleck" still pops into my head from time to time and if I'm in public, I have to try not to laugh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still holding out for Red Dawn. I mean they did Roadhouse and Point Break, how do they not do Red Dawn? Red Dawn has a scene which prominently features Patrick Swayze's snot bubbles, come on!

some day.....

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my favorite short is Why Won't Cathy Eat Brekfast/Petaluma Chicken. The chicken one in particular.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Plavski posted:

The Casablanca riff is hilarious. Recommended.

Really? I wouldn't have expected it to be, Casablanca just seems like such a genuinely good movie, I wouldn't think there would be much room to make fun of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Schindler's list would be a bit much, yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

I always thought that movie deserved to be riffed. If they don't mention the snot bubble, Imma be pissed.

I've been waiting for this ever since they did Road House (I'm glad someone else likes the snot bubble too!) Oh my god oh my god oh my god

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

I bought Red Dawn on DVD for $10 about 6 or so years ago and at the time my girlfriend was making fun of me, but I forced her to watch it with me. And that's when I saw the snot bubble. We must have watched it frame-by-frame about 5 times, laughing hysterically all the while.

There's another snot bubble-esque scene towards the beginning of the movie, after the Soviets invade and Swayze and the gang drive off into the woods. The boys are all arguing and they turn to Swayze for guidance, and he tries to put his hands into his coat pockets for dramatic effect but he can't quite find them so he gives up after a few tries and just leaves them outside.

It really is an amazing movie.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

utonium posted:

I noticed that a couple of MST3K titles that I added to my Netflix DVD queue recently showed up on Instant Watch as well. Werefolf and Future War, but there are several others, too.

I don't know why it never occurred to me to check netflix for MST3k's thanks for this. A lot of episodes are up on youtube too but obviously netflix is easier to watch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Yeah that was a great episI'M COMING!!

Which episode is this?

Also, of the MST3ks available on netflix's instant watch, which ones are the best? I've already seen Werewolf (great), Laserblast (less great), Future War (great), and First Spaceship on Venus (less great), which leaves:

Zombie Nightmare
Racket Girls
The Girl in Lovers Lane
The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy

I've got some free time and I'll probably just end up watching them all anyway but are any of them considered classics? I'm not familiar with any of them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just watched the Transformers 2 riff and dear god that's a horrible, horrible movie. Like I heard plenty of rumors about how bad it was but none of them did it justice, it's just a cinematic turd. Considering that the selling point of the movie was giant robots wrecking poo poo, the fact that the robot fight scenes were the most confusing and terrible parts of the movie is kind of unforgivable. Also robot scrotum

The riff, however, makes it well worth the 2.5 hours, I think it's one of the best I've seen so far. "The hump count soars to two!" and "God is a bunch of giant robots!" alone nearly make the movie worthwhile but the rest of it is pretty consistently hilarious as well.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 12, 2009

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is the red dawn riff any good? I was looking forward to it for ages but for some reason I still haven't seen it yet. I must be putting it off because it doesn't have Kevin & Bill in it or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't ever recall hearing this one way or another. I mean, he's extremely funny and Conservatives aren't known for their sense of humor.

I've heard the same thing, from someone who's read his book apparently. I honestly have a hard time believing it because you never get that vibe from him from MST3k or Rifftrax or any of the various funny things he's ever done, he's just, you know, a funny guy. Maybe he realizes that most of his fans wouldn't like his opinions so he keeps them to himself, I don't know. Whatever he's doing, it's working, so I hope he stays the course.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So I watched the Twilight riff the other night and it was great. The badger cam was my favorite part

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Imapanda posted:

Is the Twilight Riff even worth it? I'm terrified by the movie because of what it does to people, and I'd feel ashamed to watch it despite having hilarious commentary.

It was really hilarious commentary. Between the badger cam, "line" and "lllllllllladies" I'd rank it as one of my favorites so far.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just watched the riff for Titanic. Generally their riffs of incredibly long movies are some of their weaker ones but this one ruled. The three hours would have been worth it for the introduction of the word "fiveshadowing" alone, but it managed to be hilarious beyond that as well, so kudos to them.

And the credits literally had me in tears

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GOOSE ON THE LOOSE posted:

I still don't see how that movie won anything for anything. It's 3 hours of NOTHING AT ALL.

It really is. The first time I saw it was as a teenager back when I thought clear pictures of tits were impressive and even then I knew that movie sucked.

On the plus side I watched it on a very long flight and by the time it was over I was almost half way to London so...no I take it back, there is no plus side to that piece of crap

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also like the bit at the end, where elderly rose gets up on the rail of the ship and Kevin makes a *HHHHOOOOCCCCKKKK* sound.

I always feel a little funny using spoiler tags for rifftrax but that one is hilarious and it's much funnier when you don't see it coming.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

Awesome. None of my favorite episodes, but they are all above average riffs.

I dunno, I remember Monster A-Go-Go being kind of mediocre. It's not their fault though, that movie is just so awful and boring that you just can't do anything with it. At least Manos Hands of Fate was awful in a goofy way, Monster A-Go-Go is just...boring.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I watched the New Moon rifftrax - it wasn't as good as the Twilight one in my opinion (mostly because the movie was just so drat long and grueling) but still great. I think my favorite parts were "a complete sentence?.......NO, she's 0 for 50" and "I left a note - you saw me write it right before we just rushed out of the house together"

I somehow didn't notice how long the pauses in the lines were until the rifftrax pointed it out. Goddamn. That movie would probably literally be a good 10-20 minutes shorter if they would just say their lines in one go.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Plavski posted:

I think it's more to do with the fact that there's basically no plot and they had to get a 90 minute runtime somehow.

Yeah I'm honestly a little puzzled as to what the point of that movie was. If I've got it right, it was basically:

Edward: I love you bella whoops I'm a vampire and that's suddenly a problem now, bye

Jacob: I love you bella whoops I'm a werewolf gotta go

Edward: I'm back for some reason but I think you're dead because you jumped off a cliff for some reason and I want to die

Edward: Oh ok you're not dead but now I have to turn you into a vampire because of old gay men, also marry me

*credits*

edit: Remembered another favorite line: "Kissing is kind of like wifi, you just have to be in the general vicinity and it counts"

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 10, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenNight posted:

New Moon riff had a good point - in Italy where they were leading all the people (including children) to their deaths from vampires. What kind of crazy bitch is Bella?

Oh yeah, that was another great riff; "again, the local police must encourage all tourists not to go on tours in that castle, where tour groups have been getting mysteriously murdered on a regular basis"

Or something like that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On the subject of Paul F. Tompkins podcasts, he's also a regular guest on the very funny Comedy Death Ray Radio, hosted by Scott Aukerman (also of Mr. Show fame). He usually does impressions and I don't think I've ever not been floored by one, he's a very funny man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

Paul F Tompkins was one of my favorites from Mr Show and I loved his Comedy Central Presents, but he became one of my favorite comedians in the world with his Comedy Death Ray Radio appearances. His Ice T, John C Reilly, Cake Boss, Andrew Lloyd Weber... all his impressions are hilarious. And he is very funny on his own. If anyone wasn't sure about going, I highly recommend it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know his John C. Reilly was an impersonation for a while, I thought it was actually John C. Reilly. I also didn't know Paul was doing the Ice T impressions (though I did know it wasn't the real Ice T).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't remember - for these live events, do they release a recording or something that other people can watch? I really want to see Paul F. Tompkins on a rifftrax but I can't make it to a live event. Maybe he'll join them on a different one some day...

• Locked thread