Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Been watching through the shorts. Act Your Age is my current favorite. Pencils were used for everything in the Fifties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

Just like little kids playing with marrumbllss....
Just throw chalk on my head THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT!

To contribute: Does anyone know the story of how Conor Lastowka ended up working with Rifftrax? I've been searching around since he contributes to the Rifftrax blog, but I can't make the connection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooling1018/2712280905/

fenix down fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 27, 2008

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Am I the only one who thought the Plan 9 riff was kinda lame? (I got the 3 riffers version)

Although there's not probably much you can do considering the source material.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Over the Top was just Mike and it was freaking hilarious.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sinfjotli posted:

I think it might actually be just right. It's bad, but a lot of it is pretty riffable.
I heard a lot of people say that it's so bad it's good.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." The Joel vs. Mike debate has been raging for over 10 years.

Edit: I saw the Happening rifftrax earlier. 5/5 would watch again.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 27, 2008

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

It just seems to me that I should like it. Mike was a writer on it for most of the stuff I watched. Ah well.
Many people, including Mike himself, think that the invention exchanges were a lot more creative than the cheesy skits of the Sci-Fi era.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

In other news, the Rifftones have won Masters of Song Fu 2. Their entry for the final round was "Love Theme from JAWS (When a Man Loves a Shark)." Indeed, I too am going to need a bigger heart after that song that I may contain the love I have for these guys.
The nice thing about it is that no one can say they are winning just because of Rifftrax fans. Their songs are consistently solid musically and comedy-wise.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cool I was gonna watch Dark Knight again anyway. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Plavski posted:

Who shat in your cereal? People aren't allowed opinions now and can't actually discuss rifftrax in any light they choose?
You are taking this a little too seriously.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Plavski posted:

I think you'll find when I posted that I had a novelty jesters hat on and rainbow suspenders, so don't pretend to know how I'm taking things.
I.. I didn't know! =^_^=

Batman and rifftrax both own, so it's gonna be a winning combo anyway bro.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

JimBobDole posted:

I love the Shorts. Good Eating Habits and Know For Sure are hilarious. However, no one here has mentioned yet how weird and disturbing Kitty Cleans Up is. Why they chose to riff that one is beyond me.
I would assume that no one posts about it because they are so filled with shame (or turned on?) afterward that they don't want to tell anyone.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is Bea Arthur's song over yet? I've still got my ears plugged...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Alexandr posted:

So, this is as good a place as any to ask. As a first time viewer of the Star Wars Holiday Special, I have question that was pointedly brought up in a riff the second it came to my mind: WHAT DID BOBA FETT OR THE EMPIRE GAIN FROM THAT LITTLE ANIMATED ADVENTURE, WHICH IS SUPPOSEDLY CANON?! Two of the Empire's greatest foes incapacitated with nothing to stop you from killing the Wookiee and capturing them and... You give them an antidote for their illness and fly off. Friend.
I guess they wanted to make him a neutral character. He does bad stuff for money but inside he's a gooey lump of christmasy love. Stupid yes, but par for the course for the whole special.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Emmitt Nervend posted:

edit: They make a joke about the smoking Kramer-esque guy being the 5th Marx brother, which struck me as a little odd. There already are 5 Marx brothers. Groucho, Chico, Zeppo, Harpo, and Gummo. I don't think I've ever heard them get a reference wrong before.
That's not really wrong in respect to the Marx Bros. films though. The exception would be if footage of Gummo at a vaudeville show exists... (highly unlikely?)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I missed it. :(

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Down and Out is also incredible.

On the other side of the coin, the most banal ones imo are Coffee House and Christmas Toyshop.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

Is there any easy way to add a Rifftrax MP3 to a DVD I ripped into an AVI? I'd really like to show my friends Road House but all I have is the file I ripped.

I bought Overcoming Fear tonight. Great stuff.
Off the top of my head I would try ripping the avi audio into a wav or mp3 (forget what program), then you can mix the tracks with Audacity, then use virtualdub to add your new mixed audio file to the video.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

New live event next Friday.

And finally a way to get Shake Hands with Danger without buying the DVD.
Don't forget about this. First live feature length riff.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Glad I waited to buy the movie until I saw the short.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just sit back and have some lemon drink and you'll be fine.
WE CAN'T JUST SIP LEMON DRINK AS UNINVOLVED OBSERVERS!!!!!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gonna echo Smithee's post and say if you have not watched it yet WATCH THE ROOM! My brothers and I were quoting it for days after seeing it.

This convenient starter guide was posted last week on the rifftrax blog.
http://blog.rifftrax.com/2009/06/12/oh-hi-rifftrax-a-guide-to-the-room/

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Plavski posted:

Really? That's a drat shame.
Don't worry about it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

I haven't seen The Room yet (with or without Rifftrax) but one thing I wish they'd stop doing is shoehorning in Schnappi jokes. He's das kleine crocodil. Stop making every single monster be Schnappi, guys. You're killing your running gag.
Maybe we should lobby for the triumphant return of TRUMPY NOO!!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Plavski posted:

Well that's loving weird. And Lowtax is doing a segment.

But Plan 9? This'll be the third, possibly fourth time they've riffed it. Come on, guys!
It never gets old in my opinion. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

They're on another Riffshort jag. I wish they would pace these out so it isn't nothing for a couple of months followed by 5 in two weeks or something.
I was getting way behind on the shorts. Picked up a whopping 17 of them last weekend. I'm perfectly willing to get that many, because I get more mileage out of the shorts than the feature length riffs.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The problem is if she wants to make out and all you want to do is watch the movie.
Who wouldn't want to make out with Tor Johnson onscreen? :swoon:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HappyDooies posted:

Got my tix to the RiffTrax Live Show.

Still haven't figured out if Lowtax is going to be there live, or some other deal.
He's only gonna be there for a few minutes, and you'll have to be quick to spot him because he'll be disguised as Elvis and then he gets shot out of a cannon.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Remulak posted:

Wife and I were at the nerdfest as well, Indianapolis version, in Castleton. Good turnout.

Lowtax's bits KILLED, although he seemed nervous as hell when he was up. What was the bit with him talking on the phone at the end?
it's biting social commentary about how people are too attached to their cellphones. (or it could be just a random gag)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Overwined posted:

RE: Goony crowds. It's funny, I think that the forums spend so much time stereotyping goons that the description that has evolved is probably only applicable to a small minority. We're just regular folks, I guess.
goons grow strong feeding on the tears of other goons.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Coulton didn't go over too well at my theater either. His geek folk doesn't really fit in with the zany and sarcastic humor of lowtax and rifftrax.

edit: didn't he do a rifftrax though? did anyone watch that one?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Edit: And seriously, why is everyone trashing the girls who were singing along? Have you never been to a concert? People tend to sing along with musicians they like. It looked like the girls were having a blast, and I got all :3: every time they were on camera.
To the goon collective, a cute girl like the presenter is a bumbling moron and a girl who looks like your average goon is a horrible monstrosity.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm glad the guys had a great time doing the show, and I can only hope that means more in the future.

also saw this on the Rifftrax blog:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Happening?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which episode is this?

Also, of the MST3ks available on netflix's instant watch, which ones are the best? I've already seen Werewolf (great), Laserblast (less great), Future War (great), and First Spaceship on Venus (less great), which leaves:

Zombie Nightmare
Racket Girls
The Girl in Lovers Lane
The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy

I've got some free time and I'll probably just end up watching them all anyway but are any of them considered classics? I'm not familiar with any of them.
Girl in Lovers Lane is great for the "why the hell did they make this it isn't even a movie" factor.

edit: oh yeah Racket Girls is like that too. Absolutely no coherent ideas. But I'll never forget the zoom-in on that nerd's face during the sexy dance scene.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 26, 2009

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gavok posted:

I could have gone without the swimming short, but who knew Christmas could be so nightmarish? Cripes!
A swimming waltz! It's like swimming, but slower.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cool Ranch posted:

I had seen the first two before, but had forgotten the "be-top-hatted spider-dog of my nightmares" line, which was worth rehearing. Go check it out tonight if you didn't catch it, very awesome.

P.S. I unironically wish I had Wienerschnitzel :(
Who could ever forget the interminable train set sequence?

LOOK AT IT!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Paradox Personified posted:

I laughed so hard when Bill started doing the theme to Sanford and Son (Or was it Kevin? I mix up their voices after all these years. And feel bad about it.)
Mike: deep soothing voice
Kevin: mid-range
Bill: higher-pitched nasally whine

edit: now with video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCLo7W8fBw

fenix down fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 24, 2010

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

From Earth posted:

What's worse, there's a Schnappi reference in almost every RiffTrax, even the most recent ones. It's bad enough to keep making jokes about an internet meme five years after everyone else has stopped caring about it, but the Schnappi jokes sound incredibly forced every single time.
Schnappi was never a meme in my opinion. It's not incredibly forced because it's a running gag. Like with Joel and the Johnny Carson "Mm hmmm! That's good ____"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

My wife doesn't like sitting through the full-length movies (she has the same issue I do of trying to pay attention to the movie and the riffing at the same time and getting confused, I usually watch the movie by itself first), but she gets into the shorts.
She gets into my shorts too FYI.

• Locked thread