Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name. Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!
I wonder what the original line about Arche was. Anyone know?

Centipeed posted:

Symphonia is probably my favourite RPG ever (Although Rogue Galaxy, which obviously isn't a Tales game, is edging it out). It's the only RPG I've ever completed, and I went back and played a New Game+ with 10x EXP set and some other cool stuff.

My characters are all around level 190, each one has the best weapon available in the game (Love the Gaia Cleaver (I think that's its name?)), except for a couple who need to complete the Colosseum to get it. Collette isn't exactly fantastic to play solo. I've gotten all of the Devil Arms, but I didn't carry across my kills, so they're a little underpowered.

It's the furthest I've ever taken an RPG, and I never usually complete games, let alone do it twice.
I'm sad because I own Rogue Galaxy and never actually played it. I don't even know where it is at the moment. Is it really all that great?

So I'm playing through Abyss right now for the first time before trying Vesperia. I figure once I get used to Vesperia, it'll be hard for me to go back to the old engine with its load times and poo poo. Anyways, I understand most of the game, but I still don't get how FSCs work. Can each Arte only take one type? What the the extra dots? I assumed you can keep adding more and make them better but it seems it can only take one at a time. Or am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphiel
Jun 19, 2006

Oh God I can't unthink it!

Ice Blue posted:

Anyways, I understand most of the game, but I still don't get how FSCs work. Can each Arte only take one type? What the the extra dots? I assumed you can keep adding more and make them better but it seems it can only take one at a time. Or am I doing something wrong?

You can only equip one type at a time, but you can switch them out at will and keep the levels you've gained for each type. So you can, say, level a grass chamber on Raging Blast for stealing, then switch it for a sunlight chamber for FOF changing, then switch the grass chamber back on when you get to a fight where you want to steal something.

The extra dots are just for the levels; the level raises as you use the skill with the chamber equipped and it makes the effect better.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Sylphiel posted:

You can only equip one type at a time, but you can switch them out at will and keep the levels you've gained for each type. So you can, say, level a grass chamber on Raging Blast for stealing, then switch it for a sunlight chamber for FOF changing, then switch the grass chamber back on when you get to a fight where you want to steal something.

The extra dots are just for the levels; the level raises as you use the skill with the chamber equipped and it makes the effect better.
The levels stick with the Artes, not with the chambers right? It's not like I'm leveling up this chamber to level 2 and can put it on another artes and it be level 2, right?

Seems kinda lame. I mean it's cool but it could have been cooler if you could mix and match and customize powers the way you want. You can't have a power be cheap to use and powerful, only one or the other. Makes Grass chambers seem useless for powers that don't steal. What's the point of making them knock back more when you could make a power cost less or deal more damage?

Sylphiel
Jun 19, 2006

Oh God I can't unthink it!
Yeah, you have to level it up on each arte separately. And grass chambers are pretty lame. But that's okay because sunlight chambers are where it's at anyway. :)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

I'm sad because I own Rogue Galaxy and never actually played it. I don't even know where it is at the moment. Is it really all that great?

It's a fantastic game, but I can see how not everyone will like it... Maybe? I don't know. Definitely try it out.

I've played through a bit of Tales of Abyss, and I started playing Rogue Galaxy, and now I'm worried that I'll go back to ToA and forget how stuff works. They made it slightly more complicated compared to ToS, it seems.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ice Blue posted:

I wonder what the original line about Arche was. Anyone know?

I played the most recent port of phantasia, the PSP one recently. It was just Klarth comparing mint and arche, and he says something like "Mint is proper, but Arche is carefree".

Where is the tales of rebirth love?

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Where is the tales of rebirth love?

There's been no western release or translation of Rebirth, which is a shame because I really want to play it :(

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Some more ToH info, and some of this is interesting.

-Soma are your weapons, and you can upgrade them through "Soma Build" to obtain "Soma Skills". Soma can evolve if upgraded enough.
-"Soma Link" is bascially the relationship meter. Building up a good relationship with your party members will unlock special skills.
-You can go into the mind of your party members through a "Spir Link". It's the mind is called a "Spir Maze". You can also enter the Spir Mazes of NPCs. Rare items and stuff are obtainable through these mazes.
-:siren:There will be multiplayer:siren:

Also there's a new character confirmed through screenshots, and they're pretty much the obligatory child, a witch.

New promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtgERWptynU

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2008

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BARRY CHUCKLE posted:

There's been no western release or translation of Rebirth, which is a shame because I really want to play it :(

Well, I believe there is an entire script in english posted somewhere, as well as several tutorials and even a subbed walkthrough of the game on youtube, so if you want to play it just go and buy the import psp version. It's very different than the others, and has a lot of unique mechanics and systems going on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has anyone played ToS2? Is it any good? From what I've seen of videos, it seems ok, but the game limits you so much in the character department, it sounds kind of sucky.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Has anyone played ToS2? Is it any good? From what I've seen of videos, it seems ok, but the game limits you so much in the character department, it sounds kind of sucky.
Yes, and I did not like it. It clearly didn't have anywhere near the production resources of a full blown Tales game. I did enjoy it more than that PSP Tales game though, but that's not saying much.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

How far into it would you say you got? And how was the story? (does it tie in with Symphonia's clusterfuck of plot twists, or is it more of a stand-alone thing set in the same world? Or is it a little of both?)

edit: Looking at the wikipedia pages, I notice each game is given a "characteristic genre name," which seems to just be a pile of utterly nonsensical engrish. Does anyone have any idea what that stuff is supposed to be, or is it just another case of japanese people being weird and japanese?

example: apparently, "Tales of Legendia's characteristic genre name is Bonds Are Beginning to Spin Legends RPG." The more you know :eng101:

CORN NOG fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 6, 2008

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, and I did not like it. It clearly didn't have anywhere near the production resources of a full blown Tales game. I did enjoy it more than that PSP Tales game though, but that's not saying much.

Son of a bitch. I hope they at least tightened the controls a bit before releasing it over here, since people say they are wonky.
Still, the music is kind of awesome as far as I've heard. Downloaded the final boss music and it's pretty good, and even though most of the music is carried over from ToS, they're all remixed into some rockin' themes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DontDateRobots! posted:

How far into it would you say you got? And how was the story? (does it tie in with Symphonia's clusterfuck of plot twists, or is it more of a stand-alone thing set in the same world? Or is it a little of both?)

edit: Looking at the wikipedia pages, I notice each game is given a "characteristic genre name," which seems to just be a pile of utterly nonsensical engrish. Does anyone have any idea what that stuff is supposed to be, or is it just another case of japanese people being weird and japanese?

example: apparently, "Tales of Legendia's characteristic genre name is Bonds Are Beginning to Spin Legends RPG." The more you know :eng101:
About fifteen hours in, the standard length I give RPGs before I decided to continue them or not. The story was that Lloyd is apparently running around destroying villages in the old Teseria, including the main characters' villages, and no one knows or will say why. At the time I quit, that mystery had gone on waaay too long, with every original Tales character I ran into being frustratingly tight-lipped about it, and I got pissed off. But also, and this is much less forgiveable, the controls during combat were way less responsive than any previous game for some reason. I can't explain it, but there was always this massive-seeming delay between when I pushed the attack button and the time an attack came out. I thought it was some kind of hardware problem at first, but I switched wiimotes and it was the same...

Yeah, most Tales games have a weird extra thing in its genre listing. My translation of them would be (from their official pages):

Phantasia: the legendary RPG
Destiny: the RPG named destiny
Destiny 2: the RPG of escaping from destiny
Eternia: the RPG of eternity and bonds (of friendship)
Symphina: the RPG of resonating with you
Symphonia 2: the RPG of the trusting heart that resonates with you
Rebirth: The RPG of your rebirth
Legendia: oddly, the official page just lists it as "RPG"...
The Abyss: none listed
The Tempest: Spirit awakening RPG
Innocence: The RPG of connecting feelings
Hearts: The RPG of meeting hearts

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 6, 2008

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Vesperia's genre name is To Enforce One's "Justice" RPG :eng101:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So I'm playing the Tales of Phantasia PSX remake (with the Absolute Zero translation patch), and I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm having with it. Someone had said earlier in the thread that ToP is skippable due to its age, but it sure seems like the PSX remake brings enough of it up to speed with the later games that I'd feel comfortable recommending it to present Tales fans. I'm curious as to what else was changed, because it sure seems like they went all out enhancing the experience. Skits, more TP moves, more playable characters. Good times.

I guess my only complaint is that it seems like I have to over rely on TP moves, because the only good melee fighter so far is Cless and even he can't seem to hit guys fast enough to get the battles finished.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

How is Tales of Eternia? I've been meaning to play it for a while, and my sister has a copy of the psp port i could borrow. Is the battle system as clunky as Phantasia? I'm assuming it has random battles; if so, how frequent are they? Are there any skits?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DontDateRobots! posted:

How is Tales of Eternia? I've been meaning to play it for a while, and my sister has a copy of the psp port i could borrow. Is the battle system as clunky as Phantasia? I'm assuming it has random battles; if so, how frequent are they? Are there any skits?

I liked it better than Phantasia, but apparently that's not a really popular opinion. Gameplay-wise it's a more refined Phantasia, and I don't remember battles being frequent to an annoying Final Fantasy level. I don't think they started putting in skits before Symphonia.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The battles are a lot better than Phantasia - I remember Eternia as being the first one where you could really pull off all kinds of awesome combos and extensions and stuff. They're 2D but they're advanced. It is also the most challenging Tales game, at least for me - even on Normal it is brutally difficult in parts. Hope you enjoy using a lot of items :)

The Japanese version had some skits but they were all removed for the English version and replaced with the "hints" on the world map. Kinda sucks, but given Namco's long history of butchering the English versions of Tales games this shouldn't surprise you.

edit: I should clarify that to "most challenging Tales game given an English release" because otherwise Sanders is going to come in here going on about Tales of Rebirth or whatever :colbert:

Xythar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 15, 2008

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

raditts posted:

I liked it better than Phantasia, but apparently that's not a really popular opinion. Gameplay-wise it's a more refined Phantasia, and I don't remember battles being frequent to an annoying Final Fantasy level. I don't think they started putting in skits before Symphonia.

Battles are pretty drat frequent in Eternia. I'll suggest that you always keep a large stock of holy bottles on hand. Other than that, it has an ok story and the battle system is very fun. Definitely worth playing through.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
New "Tales of Hearts" CG vs Anime pics up.

http://kotaku.com/5050395/anime-cutscenes-vs-cg-cutsences-+-fight

The first picture of big-hat-girl, in CG, makes her look more like Kefka than a little girl. Hmm.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DontDateRobots! posted:

I don't know how it is on PSP but if it's like the PSX version then it's a blast. The battles are 2D like phantasia, but they're faster-paced and offer a lot more control (get the Manual item at the dojo right at the beginning). It's pretty much the opposite of "clunky." The battle doesn't pause for spells and many can actually be avoided by moving out of the way. On the PSX version you could have up to four players. The harder modes improve the enemy behaviors rather than JUST increasing HP or enemy stats. There's lots of secret poo poo to find too. Random battles are pretty frequent but can be finished fairly quickly on the easier difficulties - holy bottles are your friend in dungeons though.

It's my favorite in the series :shobon:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Skychrono posted:

The CG version just looks.... weird to me.
I prefer the Anime style MUCH more.

I hope if it gets an english release, they go with the anime style.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skychrono posted:

The first picture of big-hat-girl, in CG, makes her look more like Kefka than a little girl. Hmm.
I'm very interested to see which version of the game sells better. I personally don't understand why anyone would pick 3D CG characters like those if there is a 2D hand-drawn alternative.

edit: the comment on the blog Kotaku linked to said "I can't look at the CG and not see a group of cosplayers". Now that he's said that, I can't either...

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Spiffo posted:

I don't know how it is on PSP but if it's like the PSX version then it's a blast. The battles are 2D like phantasia, but they're faster-paced and offer a lot more control (get the Manual item at the dojo right at the beginning). It's pretty much the opposite of "clunky." The battle doesn't pause for spells and many can actually be avoided by moving out of the way. On the PSX version you could have up to four players. The harder modes improve the enemy behaviors rather than JUST increasing HP or enemy stats. There's lots of secret poo poo to find too. Random battles are pretty frequent but can be finished fairly quickly on the easier difficulties - holy bottles are your friend in dungeons though.

It's my favorite in the series :shobon:

The PSP version is mostly identical to the PS1 version, only with almost nonexistant loading times, a potentially game-killing glitch and a slightly different looking menu. It also has an odd flaw with text in one cutscene, and a glaring error with the voices in one other cutscene later in the game.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 16, 2008

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm very interested to see which version of the game sells better. I personally don't understand why anyone would pick 3D CG characters like those if there is a 2D hand-drawn alternative.

edit: the comment on the blog Kotaku linked to said "I can't look at the CG and not see a group of cosplayers". Now that he's said that, I can't either...

And this:

quote:

Just to add, the little blond girl with the pink hat and dress looks positively creepy in CG in the first picture.

They all have a creepy soulless fleshdoll look to them in the CG pics, but the little girl especially.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

The animated style isn't exactly leaping out at me, but it's still worlds better than the CGI. That's just Uncanny Valley out the wazzoo.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Seconding the uncanny valley vibe. The Tales series just wouldn't be the same without the 2D style graphics. They should just leave the attempt at realism to Square.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I FAQ-ed the poo poo out of Symphonia after I beat it and tried to do as many sidequests as possible at the end-game. So I got all of the Devil Arms, went to the supposed location, but oops! Not there. It's been a while since I pulled my save up so I guess it's possible I missed a Devil's Arm (I was sure I hadn't though...), or maybe I got it mixed up and checked the location first and then got the Arms or something stupid like that. If it's not a quest that is time-limited, then that's fine, I'll just do it properly in my next play through.

Hmm. I seem to remember that there IS a reason for Abyssion not being at the bottom of the Temple Of Shadow sometimes - it's something like, do you have everyone in your party? If anyone's missing for a storyline reason ([spoilers]It doesn't matter if you have Kratos or Zelos, though, as long as you have one of them - I fought him with Kratos once[/spoiler], Abyssion won't be there. If that's not it... then I can't quite remember. You may need to have talked to Seles; that unlocks like 15 sidequests for no apparent reason. But I did know at one point, because I remember running into the same problem.

Agreed on the fact that if ToH comes over here, I hope we get the anime version. The CG images are... no.

Um, as for appreciation - I've only played Symphonia, Abyss, Legendia, and Vesperia. I'd say that Abyss is my favorite, with Symphonia and Vesperia following close behind. Legendia has really good, in-depth characterization, but the battle system was... really bad. I played it right after Abyss, and the lack of Free Run KILLED me. Also, I find myself incredibly salty that Walter died, yet Maurits magically survived the first half of the game. I loved Walter! Can I also say how disappointed I was that he wasn't playable when he traveled with your party?

Did anyone else notice that while Vesperia had tons of shout-outs to Abyss in it, it actually took a lot from Legendia as well? A lot of the artes, the way cooking unlocked new recipes, and a few other things that now escape me because I'm tired, seemed to be more rooted in Legendia than Symphonia and Abyss.

I'll probably come back and ramble about my Sync obsession later when my brain isn't full of Vesperia.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Legendia has really good, in-depth characterization, but the battle system was... really bad. I played it right after Abyss, and the lack of Free Run KILLED me.

How would you add free run to Legendia's 2d battle system? The battle system was just fine to me having played quite a few of the past 2d battle system Tales games. I just found too many of the characters to be annoying and the story was so boring. Also the 2nd half of the game which just involved you running through the same exact dungeons again for another boring story. I can't believe I finished playing that game.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

I liked Legendia a lot more than most, including the characters and story. The thing that killed it for ME though was the encounter rate, and having random battles.

There are maybe two or three RPGs from last gen that I make exceptions for my 'I really really loving hate random battles' policy, and Legendia wasn't one of them, sadly. v:v:v

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

evilalien posted:

How would you add free run to Legendia's 2d battle system? The battle system was just fine to me having played quite a few of the past 2d battle system Tales games. I just found too many of the characters to be annoying and the story was so boring. Also the 2nd half of the game which just involved you running through the same exact dungeons again for another boring story. I can't believe I finished playing that game.

I wasn't saying that they should've added free run to the 2d system, I was saying that I didn't like the Legendia 2d battle system as much as I liked the free run system they use for all the other new Tales games. It was weird, to me, that Legendia randomly regressed back to that system even though it came out around the same time as Abyss and after Symphonia. There. Is that so hard to grasp?

And you have to retrace multiple dungeons in almost every Tales game, so... complaining about it like it was exclusive to Legendia doesn't make much sense, but whatever.

But it sounds like our likes & dislikes about Legendia are the complete inverse of each other, so there's probably no point in arguing about it. Legendia had quite a few failings, but overall I enjoyed it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I think Tales of Rebirth also came out after Symphonia and was also 2D (well, it had like three lines to fight along or something) - it just never made it outside of Japan. There's a PSP version too now actually.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've only played Symphonia and Abyss, but I have to say that Zelos and Jade are the two best characters in any JRPG and a spin-off game featuring both characters would be the greatest thing ever :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You know what's awesome? Zellos's lightsaber. Even when I got more powerful weapons than that, I just couldn't stop using it.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret
I've been playing the Tales of Destiny Director's Cut PS2 remake with the help of guides on the internet and it is awesome. I love the battle system, especially the CC stuff. It feels like I'm not being penalized for using skills. I might like this system even more than Vesperia's.

My only problem is that Rutee and Lion look so creepily alike. Are they brother and sister or something? Their face icons in the Rerise section are practically indistinguishable. I thought for about an hour of the game that Lion had 2 sets of equipment or something.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

grantsnx posted:

My only problem is that Rutee and Lion look so creepily alike. Are they brother and sister or something?

They are indeed, at least I'm fairly sure they are.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
So, I'm at the part in Vesperia where they reveal where the title is from - the brightest star in the sky, in their world.

Are any of the other titles explained in their games? I always thought Abyss should have been called Symphonia, due to the music theme and lack of Abyss-ness for most of the game. Is Phantasia just a play on Fantasy?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I figured Tales of the Abyss was called that because a large part of the game is about the underground 'abyss' below the elevated crust of the planet, and moving the crust back down there when the elevating force starts to fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
:siren:RUMOUR TIME:siren:

This image here

is said to be from the Tales Wii mothership game. But since this is 3D it contradicts these rumours:

-2D game made for the Wii by a combination of Destiny Team and the Ratatosk team.
-Not ToD3, completely new game.
-They're making another (anime-geared) HD project. This will release around Spring.
-Sword of Legendia got a title change.

I think a lot of people would like to see a new 2D Tales game. It being Namco I honestly don't doubt that they've got something coming up for next year. Interestingly enough, according to this the game is set for a Fall/Winter 2009 release, which seems oddly specific to me. There seems to be a lot of secrecy on the supposed trailer too. Perhaps they're not ready to show it to the public yet.

Also here's something interesting about Symphonia: There is a model of Rutee from ToD on the game's disc, and it's possible to use her with an Action Replay cart. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4u8TKQKf4

Perhaps she was meant to be in the cameo battle. According to the comments she can cause the game to crash since she can't use all of Kratos's techs.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 5, 2008