Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Is there no way of getting the Yuri outfit for Jude?

If you're in NA, only via buying the CE ($130) or somebody selling the code from their CE separately. If you're in EU, just pre-order the normal version of the game and you'll get it. DLC is region locked, if you're now thinking of getting the EU version from NA.

Rollersnake posted:

I don't know if having most dungeons contain at least one puzzle like in Eternia is the norm for the series, but I definitely want something along the lines of that.

Going to echo that Symphonia Chronicles would be best with that criteria, with a warning that going from Destiny/Eternia or even Phantasia to Symphonia can feel like rear end but it'll probably get better as you progress.

Symphonia combat is passable to good vs. human or smaller opponents, but a fair number of the bosses, especially early on, are large monsters/things, which is where the system fails on higher difficulties due to having no way to get around larger opponents you can't jump over outside of one mid-late game character--you basically have to spend those fights using knockback/knockdown artes or just blocking with a melee guy to hold the enemy mostly in place so it doesn't obliterate your casters/ranged fighters, which is boring. It's largely a non-issue on lower difficulties though and every game past symphonia has fixed this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Will Xillia 2 be available digitally on release too?

I don't feel like buying the limited edition this time, and because of that, I might as well buy it digitally then.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Volt Catfish posted:

I don't feel like buying the limited edition this time, and because of that, I might as well buy it digitally then.
The first one was, so probably.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah, they put out an announcement saying it'd go up when PSN updates on the 19th. Just no digital pre-orders.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The big changes to combat that I remember are the removal of in combat party switching (in fact your party is set by the plot for most of the game)

I hope by "Most of the game" that means I'll have full control by the endgame and whatever optional content exists therein, otherwise that's probably going to drive me more insane than it ought to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FANSean posted:

I hope by "Most of the game" that means I'll have full control by the endgame and whatever optional content exists therein, otherwise that's probably going to drive me more insane than it ought to.

Yes, you will.

Basically the game has several section types in each chapter:
-main quests (party set)
-character episodes (character-specific sidequests where three of your party members are set, usually in pairs: Jude + Milla, Gaius + Muzet, Alvin + Elize, Rowan and Leia. Sometimes they do not follow these patterns though.
-open roaming time where you can choose freely (usually near the end of the chapter) and do the non-character sidequests

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alright anyone have anything clever for a ToXII thread title? I've got nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Tales of Xillia 2: A nostalgic return to mute protagonists.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

ToX 2: Namco's Anniversary Ludgerdemain

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh btw I'm not incorrect in claiming that ToXII is somewhat controversial right? Like a lot of people think it improves a lot on Xillia and a lot of people think it's worse? Or am I just making stuff up.

I really haven't followed much about the game so I'm writing this from scratch here.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Best Crippling Debt Simulator of 2014.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not all Tale sequels are garbage.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's a ToX2 thread now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658828

If something is wrong tell me because finding information was unusually annoying.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

oh btw I'm not incorrect in claiming that ToXII is somewhat controversial right? Like a lot of people think it improves a lot on Xillia and a lot of people think it's worse? Or am I just making stuff up.

Might be better to call it divisive? But it's divisive in the same way that all video game sequels are, from what I've read, the general old vs. new in terms of assets, plot and characters with some people finding it lazy and other people thinking it makes Xillia seem lazy and incomplete by its very existence as a sequel.

It might be a good idea to just put in interview quotes; they put the game in good context and allow anybody reading to form opinions. Basically, it'd let people see where any controversy might lie for themselves with quotes (paraphrased from memory) like "we built this really detailed world for the 15th anniversary but didn't really get a chance to show as much of it as we wanted off in Xillia so [...]" on the one side and "we were really interested in these sort of IF scenarios [...] seeing the same scene again in a different universe" on the other. Siliconera had a few interviews over the last year or so and I'm sure other places did too--the devs were pretty open about their process and I think they explained the choice of having a silent protagonist with a choice system.

fake-edit: oh, looks like the thread's up. These seem like the main interviews I remember reading.

edit: Also, reading it more, you actually don't need to have played Xillia first. Like most video game sequels, they designed it with that in mind to a certain extent. Things like the Allium Orb explanation and combat/Ludger stuff can be cleaned and cleared up once you have your hands on it and can describe it better. A few SA members had good descriptions in the old Xillia thread, but that's in archives now.

Decus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 19, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Now that Xillia 2 is out and threaded, I can get back to giving you what you really want.

(I feel the need to credit Famitsu since they've summarized all of today's updates, so I can steal their images and presentation.)

Sergei (Hidemitsu Hori)

I believe there is something one must do before asking for help. Upon the honor of our Bestial Sword!

Captain of the Lowlans' Imperial Guard "White King," assigned to the direct defense of the Emperor.

His position gives him contacts at the highest levels of government as well as the military. He is undertaking missions to defend against "calamity" within the Empire.

His loyalty to the Empire and devotion to its people has earned him deep trust from his subordinates.

However, his inflexibility has caused some to look upon him as a problem.

His spiritual resonance is no more than any other human's, but his skills as a soldier are far beyond ordinary human limits. He can even defend against the attacks of Celestials despite being unable to see them.

In addition, he is capable of using the secret Arte "Beast" which has been passed down since the very first Captain.

He encounters Sorey when the latter enters Lowlans, and events there cause them to cross swords.

Lucas (Takanori Hoshino)

You can't make us just by asking. We're not your little worshippers.

A mercenary known throughout both Highland and Lowlans.

His "Grove Army" is said to rival an actual army in force, and takes pride in the ease with which it can dispatch minor Defilers.

They are currently working for the Highland Kingdom.

Lucas may seem like an avaricious thug, but he has a keen, calculating mind and strongly developed values. This is how he ensures that his men survive their battles.

Normin

Normin, sometimes called Normin Celestials, are said to live scattered all over the world.

If you meet a Normin on your journey and get it to offer you its aid, you will gain a special blessing based on what kind of power it has.

For instance, if you get the Normin Celestial Defense (that's its name) in the Great Tree City Merlind to help you, he will increase the chances of getting accessories that increase defense, his domain, from enemies.

The area where these blessings are active depends on the region, so find Normin everywhere you go and your adventure will be much easier.

Partner Switch
You can only have one Celestial in the party for each human, but if a Celestial is standing by, you can call them in to be your partner and assume their Aspect.

For instance, if you begin combat with Lailah as your partner, and Mikleo and Edna are out of combat, while in your normal state (not Aspect), you can press Left on the D-Pad to change Sorey's partner to Mikleo.

Or you can press Down to make Edna your okay I'm pretty sure you guys get the idea.

Water Aspect

Assuming an Aspect with Sorey and Mikleo gives you a water-elemental Aspect.

Its weapon is a long bow. It specializes in long-ranged attacks and can do damage to enemies in a line.

After its basic three-strike chain, the bow grows even larger and can hit more enemies at once.

Could the elegance of its flowing attack patterns be because of the Celestial's personality?

Earth Aspect

Its weapons are enormous arms. After its basic three-strike chain which pummels enemies with overwhelming force, it transforms into giant fists and strikes the ground, raising objects from it. It's as powerful as it looks.

Because many of its attacks follow the terrain, it's useful against small enemies that crawl low to the ground.

Wind Aspect

Its weapons are small blades arranged in a wing shape. It uses mobility-oriented attacks and can make tornadoes and pressure blades to juggle enemies. After its basic three-strike chain, the blades become enormous wings that enable various kinds of attacks, such as gliding through the air dealing damage to enemies along the line.

Because it attacks so much from the air, it's useful against flying enemies and large enemies.

There was a whole ton of setting/region text in the middle that I decided not to include in this post because of the volumes involved. I may come back to it later, but I personally prioritize the characters and mechanics.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Those "aspect" forms look amazingly dumb.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i was fine with just spamming Shimmer Spin in Xillia 1 but OK i guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Partner Switch
You can only have one Celestial in the party for each human
so wait, Alicia and Slay (gently caress their official names) have to be in the party?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

so wait, Alicia and Slay (gently caress their official names) have to be in the party?

That's my understanding. Wonder how this works with more than two players?

e: The above post is largely a translation of the article which itself is a transcription of the official site; I'm still synthesizing my own opinions of it, myself. Playing solo, I can see Partner Switch and flowing in and out of Aspects being a lot of fun, but I really honestly have no idea how this works for 3-4 players. And even if you're just two, presumably Alisha can also switch in the two unused ones, but cannot assume an Aspect.

Wait, what if you're Sorey and you want to assume with Alisha's partner? What if her AI switches? What if it doesn't?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

That's my understanding. Wonder how this works with more than two players?
Going by Tales of Xillia? Poorly.

What is it with their sudden fascination with forcing the party to be a certain way? Just lemme swap characters around as I want. I barely even used Luke in Abyss.

If you're gonna hamstring the party composition, you might as well only have 4 characters and make those 4 have really expansive movesets.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wonder if part of their "going back to the series roots" thing includes designing the system assuming you're going to be Sorey. Tales of Phantasia would only let you play Cress, and I think the original Destiny may have been the same for Stan.

Ominously, the official site's listing for "Number of Players" is "TBA."

e: I think it's likely that there are two players, each playing as a pair. You certainly can't play four because if P1 is playing Sorey, he has complete control over Sorey's Celestial and in Aspect he is literally playing two characters as one. P2 is playing Alisha, which makes it technically possible for P3 to play her Celestial, but who knows if they'll implement it that way.

Either way, playing as Sorey's Celestial is going to be untenable.

e2: Also, how do you work Partner Switch if someone is playing as any Celestial? It sounds like it's going to be important in a similar way to how switching followers was in Xillia.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i don't understand why they thought the combat needed to be as complicated and dumb as possible. Tales combat always felt like it lent itself well to button mashing. it looks like it doesn't even play anything like the original.

e: well i haven't played X2 yet, because i'm poor. but if there's a precedent for it then that's cool i spose.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

i don't understand why they thought the combat needed to be as complicated and dumb as possible. Tales combat always felt like it lent itself well to button mashing.
Well I mean, it doesn't seem that complicated? You merge with a party member to go into a super mode. It's basically Ludger's transformation from Xillia 2.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
loving hell just give us Graces 2 and use mad libs to write the plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

loving hell just give us Graces 2 and use mad libs to write the plot.
Are you sure they didn't do that for Graces 1?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait, if you're not meant to play Celestials, why does Edna have a command gimmick (Triggered Artes)?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

Are you sure they didn't do that for Graces 1?

No, but I enjoyed the game so :shrug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean I'm still kind of hyped for the second coming of Graces With More Insane poo poo, but then, I haven't played much multiplayer in general and if Zestiria is actually coming out in English in a timely fashion I was rather hoping to get to do so. The idea of personally playing Sorey on a solo run still sounds pretty good to me. Hell, I can even deal with Sorey having some cool exclusive mechanics, even if I have to take Alisha as 2P; she'll still have Graces mechanics and that's just fine with me. It's the possibility that you can only play Sorey (either actually or effectively) that I'm concerned about.

KoB
May 1, 2009

wdarkk posted:

No, but I enjoyed the game so :shrug:

I did too, but that doesnt mean the story was good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

KoB posted:

I did too, but that doesnt mean the story was good.

What I'm trying to say is that in the hypothetical event of Graces 2 existing, I am unlikely to factor "story" into my buying decision in any way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope it isn't another Ludger situation. I really disliked feeling tied to one character especially because Tales Protagonist is almost always the least interesting character in the game mechanically.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Multiplayer has always been a weird bonus feature that's there because why not. They design for single player and don't care if they step on multiplayer's toes. If you're stuck with the camera from that gameplay video (and I have a horrible feeling you will be) then I doubt it exists at all.

Caphi posted:

Wait, if you're not meant to play Celestials, why does Edna have a command gimmick (Triggered Artes)?

On the fly controlled character switching has existed for a while now. Play as whoever you like then switch back to Slay to do super mode things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope it isn't another Ludger situation. I really disliked feeling tied to one character especially because Tales Protagonist is almost always the least interesting character in the game mechanically.
Well, I never felt that forced into Ludger. I'd switch to him a couple of times during boss fights and that was about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Well, I never felt that forced into Ludger. I'd switch to him a couple of times during boss fights and that was about it.

You're absolutely forced to use him.

He's the one character you can't remove from the party until the very end of the game. Even if you like the other characters you're not assured to be able to use them. Ludger is the only one who can use Chromatus and who can reliable hit all weaknesses as well as the one who gets most of the double Mystic Artes. Even if you ignore how big a mechanical deal that is, there's at least one boss specifically designed with the intention that you'll use it to break one of his attacks. In the post-game dungeon you're obligated to use Ludgar even if you want to remove him from your party at that point.

It's really unenjoyable.

wateyad posted:

Multiplayer has always been a weird bonus feature that's there because why not. They design for single player and don't care if they step on multiplayer's toes. If you're stuck with the camera from that gameplay video (and I have a horrible feeling you will be) then I doubt it exists at all.

I care less about multiplayer and more about being able to play as a fun character without feeling tremendously gimped. Xillia 1 had that problem to a lesser degree with the limited number of Linked Artes being so heavily tied to Jude and Millia which I also didn't like and they at least fixed in X2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, I switched around who I was playing a lot. The game felt very biased towards Ludger, yeah, but it wasn't literally impossible to play as the others or 'tremendously gimped.' You could do just fine with them.

I only played on Moderate and not on Hard so maybe it's harder to do well with the others on higher difficulties.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I switched around who I was playing a lot. The game felt very biased towards Ludger, yeah, but it wasn't literally impossible to play as the others.

It wasn't literally impossible but it was a pretty big handicap and for no real reason. Compared to Graces where I could use whoever I wanted and not feel like I'm playing it wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I agree that Graces handled it better, but maybe part of it is just you? I mean, I wish the game wasn't so weighted towards Ludger, but I used whoever I wanted and beat the game. It'd be a way better system if they made the Chromatus stuff more like Accel Mode in Graces, but it wasn't a pretty big handicap either. Milla and Jude still had all the advantages they had in Xillia 1, Gaius was super strong, and Alvin got lots of buffs to his charge system that let him string some pretty silly combos together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I agree that Graces handled it better, but maybe part of it is just you? I mean, I wish the game wasn't so weighted towards Ludger, but I used whoever I wanted and beat the game. It'd be a way better system if they made the Chromatus stuff more like Accel Mode in Graces, but it wasn't a pretty big handicap either.

If all I wanted to do was beat the game I would just stick it on easy and button mash my way through. Part of the fun of Tales games is that they are mechanically strong games with a variety of distinct player characters. Xillia 2 screws that up by making one player character so immensely objectively better and that does stand out even more on higher difficulty modes.

And it is a tremendous handicap. Not using Chromatus or hitting Power attacks absolutely turfs your DPS. You can still do things like abuse Milla's triple jump for game-breakingly easy damage output, mind, but between Mystic Artes, Chromatus and weapon-switching, it's really hard for anyone to match Ludger's damage output even in optimal situations.

I still enjoyed Xillia 2 but I don't want Ludger to be the face of future Tales games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Ludger is literally objectively better and that shouldn't be the case, so I guess we're pretty much in agreement and this argument is kind of about nothing.

ImpAtom posted:

And it is a tremendous handicap. Not using Chromatus or hitting Power attacks absolutely turfs your DPS. You can still do things like abuse Milla's triple jump for game-breakingly easy damage output, mind, but between Mystic Artes, Chromatus and weapon-switching, it's really hard for anyone to match Ludger's damage output even in optimal situations.
That said, Gaius's countermove can just outright delete random encounters and that never stops being hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

wdarkk posted:

What I'm trying to say is that in the hypothetical event of Graces 2 existing, I am unlikely to factor "story" into my buying decision in any way.

I'd love to revisit the Graces battle system but without anything else from that game. The characters were wretched, the story was awful and the world felt uninspired. OK Sophie can stay but that's it.