Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Dragonatrix posted:

Now you're just being silly. This is a Tales of... preorder bonus after all. If you don't pre-order, you don't get them at all!

Namco Bandai your goldhoarding nonsense better not seep into smash bros 4 or i'll be REALLY steamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I figured out who I want to see in Smash.

Gentlemen.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whatever side you pick, play as Jude because punching dragons in the face with your bare hands is way more awesome than sword and magic bullshit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Am I getting old? Tales of Zestiria doesn't interest me at all and if I never play it I probably wouldn't care all too much.

What happened to the person who imported Rebirth and Destiny Remake? I think they are dead.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Am I getting old? Tales of Zestiria doesn't interest me at all and if I never play it I probably wouldn't care all too much.

What happened to the person who imported Rebirth and Destiny Remake? I think they are dead.

Its ok to not like things.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I can't even get enthusiastic for the games I already own. I actually set up my PS2 the other day just to go play Abyss finally.

I can only enjoy old games now I guess :smith:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Volt Catfish posted:

Well, Tales of Xillia 2 only sold 43K in US so far. That old gen feeling. Tales of Zestria is going to be disastrous in mid to late 2015 in the West. I really hope they go cross-gen with PS4 on that, similar to what Atlus is doing with Persona 5. Otherwise Bamco will decide that West doesn't like Tales anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Well, Tales of Xillia 2 only sold 43K in US so far. That old gen feeling. Tales of Zestria is going to be disastrous in mid to late 2015 in the West. I really hope they go cross-gen with PS4 on that, similar to what Atlus is doing with Persona 5. Otherwise Bamco will decide that West doesn't like Tales anymore.

I haven't seen anything regarding Xillia 2's sales numbers yet, but Namco-Bandai reps flat-out said at E3 to me that they consider Tales to be a reliable franchise that turned them a big profit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So apparently Zestiria's mystic arte DLC is just cameo stuff, and involves the Zestiria characters using MA's from characters in the old games.

Still lame.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Phantasium posted:

So apparently Zestiria's mystic arte DLC is just cameo stuff, and involves the Zestiria characters using MA's from characters in the old games.

Still lame.

I'm of two minds on this stuff. I still consider it a blessing that these games are coming out in NA as reliably as they have recently, and I understand that pre-orders make them much less of a gamble. And at least they (as far as I know) haven't put anything critical to the game it's included in behind pre-order walls, and it hasn't prevented them from putting in other cameo stuff into these games. Xillia 2 has more cameo costumes and attachments than any of the other HD games that I can think of. In that light it probably wouldn't bug me too much that they include bonuses for pre-orders.

That said, gently caress making them pre-order exclusives. That may end up being just talk, but either way if it doesn't go on sale in the launch window then most people wouldn't see it if they didn't pre-order. I probably wouldn't drop money months after the game came out just to see a Hi-Ougi or two a handful of times.

So, yeah, still lame.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

It has been confirmed that Hearts R won't have an English dub, right? I'm pretty sure that was the case but I can't find a source for that right now.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

It has been confirmed that Hearts R won't have an English dub, right? I'm pretty sure that was the case but I can't find a source for that right now.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/tales-of-hearts-r-will-only-have-japanese-voice-overs.aspx

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Good. Every game we otherwise wouldn't get should just be translated and released with the JP audio. I wish these companies would realize that dubbing is not an essential factor in localized games selling well.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

Good. Every game we otherwise wouldn't get should just be translated and released with the JP audio. I wish these companies would realize that dubbing is not an essential factor in localized games selling well.

Totally. This stuff is so niche, I can't imagine there are that many perspective customers who wouldn't buy solely because of not having a dub. Bigger/more recent stuff maybe like Zestiria, since theoretically they can get new customers there, but not stuff like Hearts.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I think Japan assumes we're just as xenophobic as they are, and won't play games that aren't in English. I'd say the average American is only about half as xenophobic as the Japanese.

Cake Attack posted:

i like it when games have dubs

I mean ToH is niche enough that I don't really care since lol Vita, but i'd honestly be disappointed if they just decided to ditch dubs entirely for the main entries like Zest.

Dual-Audio should become the industry standard, if they want to stop reverse importing they should lower their prices to something reasonable.

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i like it when games have dubs

I mean ToH is niche enough that I don't really care since lol Vita, but i'd honestly be disappointed if they just decided to ditch dubs entirely for the main entries like Zest.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Excels posted:

On the other hand, look at what Namco did with Sword Art Online when they were told they could be lazy.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

I think Japan assumes we're just as xenophobic as they are, and won't play games that aren't in English. I'd say the average American is only about half as xenophobic as the Japanese.

Isn't the way unionization works with VA's a problem here as well? Anecdotal, but I remember hearing that if one VA on a project doesn't sign off on a release outside of Japan it screws the whole dub.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Phantasium posted:

On the other hand, look at what Namco did with Sword Art Online when they were told they could be lazy.

SAO was never good to start with.

Endorph posted:

Neither are most of the Tales games.

then why the gently caress are you even in this thread dude?

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 14, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

SAO was never good to start with.
Neither are most of the Tales games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bamco got away with SAO because Sony Asia translated the game themselves for their region then Bamco took that localization and did like an afternoon of finding and replacing the most egregious errors that GAF pointed out. It's like what Atlus did with Demon's Souls but done wrong.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Policenaut posted:

Bamco got away with SAO because Sony Asia translated the game themselves for their region then Bamco took that localization and did like an afternoon of finding and replacing the most egregious errors that GAF pointed out. It's like what Atlus did with Demon's Souls but done wrong.

Atlus' translation of Demon's Souls is not what I would call good. The Asian English version was perfectly fine, as far as I'm concerned. Atlus changed Pulpstone into Marrowstone, and changed a bunch of miracles unnecessarily, for example: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/north-america-differences

SAO's "localization" is a so-bad-it's-good case, hopefully it doesn't influence other devs into thinking it's an acceptable practice but I would probably buy it if I could. Just, providing it's something I'm interested in. I'm not interested in SAO.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Atlus' translation of Demon's Souls is not what I would call good. The Asian English version was perfectly fine, as far as I'm concerned. Atlus changed Pulpstone into Marrowstone, and changed a bunch of miracles unnecessarily, for example: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/north-america-differences

I've been watching a playthrough of the asian translation after playing the english one and man, I thought the english localisation was bad but it's got nothing on asia. 90% of the text doesn't actually tell you anything useful and/or has minute, but important errors that change the meaning to be completely wrong. The english version is bare, but functional.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

to be fair sometimes you might think the translation is at fault for a jrpg being confusing bullshit, but sometimes it is just confusing bullshit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megalixir posted:

I'm not sure why you'd post a thing which shows that the bulk of the changes are honestly for the best when making that argument.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you'd post a thing which shows that the bulk of the changes are honestly for the best when making that argument.

Changing slow recovery to regeneration?

those drat localizers go to far!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Isn't the way unionization works with VA's a problem here as well? Anecdotal, but I remember hearing that if one VA on a project doesn't sign off on a release outside of Japan it screws the whole dub.

Yeah. The way voice contracts work over in Japan is rather unique. Union membership is mandatory and the union has complete control over wages so there isn't really negotiations over money when people are hired onto projects.

One of the big things the VAs can control is where the voices are used. They're also free to dictate licensing fees for outside of Japan on their own (since, iirc, it doesn't fall under the union's control.) Unfortunately this has lead to a trend where a lot of VAs are either xenophobic enough to think no one outside of Japan would want or should have their voicework (so they say it won't leave the country) or they price things substantially high because they don't really know what a reasonable price is. Any decisions along either line are considered final from what I've read: if they've set a stupidly high price that is the price you have to pay.

The voices are both a package deal and yet not. Each actor has to be negotiated with separately but you also cannot break up the work into individual pieces thanks to the union. This is a big problem for smaller companies like XSEED and Atlus because meeting with all of those VAs individually can get expensive. I'm pretty sure some Japanese companies are finally wising up and negotiating for overseas licensing when they write up the initial Japanese contracts. I know for sure NISA does this.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The voices are both a package deal and yet not. Each actor has to be negotiated with separately but you also cannot break up the work into individual pieces thanks to the union.

Thanks a ton for the breakdown, this is something I was specifically curious about.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It sounds a lot better than the way they're treated here, but it really sounds like they're still using a pretty dated model if you have to go to each person individually just to localize a game with their voice.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

It sounds a lot better than the way they're treated here, but it really sounds like they're still using a pretty dated model if you have to go to each person individually just to localize a game with their voice.

japan is well-known for sticking to outdated business practices and inconvenient traditions

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

Actually it's a lot worse due to how the union dictates rates. It's a ten tier scale where it takes a bare minimum of 2-3 years of constant work (and a lot of political/social maneuvering more than raw talent) to rise one tier. The lowest tier is basically minimum wage and you don't reach an entry level office wage (i.e. a wage you can actually live on ) until the 3rd or 4th. Keep in mind voice acting is also a part time gig for most actors and Japan has a huge cultural aversion to people working multiple jobs (it means you're "disloyal to your employer" and hurts your future hiring chances immensely.)

It sounds better because they have those big voice acting schools and such, but all of those are comparable to the talent schools in Hollywood: only about 1% of the people paying their ridiculous fees are actually going to get anywhere.

Also, those big Tales festivals and such that the VAs show up for? Such things tend to be both mandatory and unpaid. Japan is notorious for having really lovely workers' rights and this even affects their acting industries. If the VAs don't show up for such events, the company may not consider them for future projects and, thanks to the acting schools, there's always someone else willing to take your place as a VA. Combine this with the whole Asian social stigma of saving face and it's one giant mess where everyone involved knows things are hosed up but no one is willing to admit to it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 15, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like being able to understand what the characters are saying before, during and after a battle. These games and Valkyria Chronicles just wouldn't be the same otherwise. I guess they could subtitle the fights but I doubt they would be willing to put in the effort.

Then again, hearing SHARING IS CARING twelve times a minute would perhaps be less painful if I didn't understand it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Amppelix posted:

I've been watching a playthrough of the asian translation after playing the english one and man, I thought the english localisation was bad but it's got nothing on asia. 90% of the text doesn't actually tell you anything useful and/or has minute, but important errors that change the meaning to be completely wrong. The english version is bare, but functional.

The Asian English version is a direct translation of the Japanese script, so I don't know what to say. Things like "One-Time Revival", "This is harsh. Evaluate me" and "Sticky White Stuff" are properly translated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megalixir posted:

The Asian English version is a direct translation of the Japanese script, so I don't know what to say. Things like "One-Time Revival", "This is harsh. Evaluate me" and "Sticky White Stuff" are properly translated.

A direct literal translation of Japanese text is not a good translation and you have to kind of be kidding yourself to think it is.

The Asian English version of Demon's Souls was playable but awkward at the best of times and incoherent at the worst. The Atlus translation is almost universally an improvement in any possible measure of translation beyond "I thought that the awkward translation had more charm!" A lot of the translation choices are not even changes. They are both valid translation choices in a J-2-E dictionary but with context actually taken into account to pick the right one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 15, 2014

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ImpAtom posted:

A direct literal translation of Japanese text is not a good translation and you have to kind of be kidding yourself to think it is.

The Asian English version of Demon's Souls was playable but awkward at the best of times and incoherent at the worst. The Atlus translation is almost universally an improvement in any possible measure of translation beyond "I thought that the awkward translation had more charm!" A lot of the translation choices are not even changes. They are both valid translation choices in a J-2-E dictionary but with context actually taken into account to pick the right one.

What part of the Asian English release was "incoherent"? I don't think you're giving the Asian English version enough credit. It was perfectly fine and was released within the same month as Japanese release. Demon's Souls wasn't even planned for localization, Atlus only picked it up because people started begging them. All changes aside, if you're really keen on a game, you're not going to wait 8 months for a subjectively possibly better version - and most people didn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megalixir posted:

What part of the Asian English release was "incoherent"? I don't think you're giving the Asian English version enough credit. It was perfectly fine and was released within the same month as Japanese release. Demon's Souls wasn't even planned for localization, Atlus only picked it up because people started begging them. All changes aside, if you're really keen on a game, you're not going to wait 8 months for a subjectively possibly better version - and most people didn't.

I played the Asian English version. Like, straight up you only have to look at the stats to see a pretty clear case of the Asian version being obscure or even misleading and the English one being a lot more straightforward. The vast majority of text was 'good enough' but it wasn't even remotely good.

Almost nobody would consider it an acceptable translation except insomuch as it was the only version available and there was no other choice. I'm glad it existed because it got enough hype to get the game translated but there's no real reason to pick it over the Atlus translation except nostalgia for the version you played first.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 15, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

I like being able to understand what the characters are saying before, during and after a battle. These games and Valkyria Chronicles just wouldn't be the same otherwise. I guess they could subtitle the fights but I doubt they would be willing to put in the effort.

Then again, hearing SHARING IS CARING twelve times a minute would perhaps be less painful if I didn't understand it.

They subtitled victory skits but not the in battle dialogue from what I've seen.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Zesty's bonus Mystic Artes: Leia's Divine Staff Celebration for Alisha, Loni's Final Prayer for Mikleo, and Conway's Silent End for Lailah.

:effort: Not to mention only one of these even exists in English (well, Final Prayer has a cameo in Hearts).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm probably going to get the collector's edition anyway because I'm a massive, massive sucker for art books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

why can't they just release every Tales game on PS3 so I can finish my stupid collection