Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Are you playing Xillia or something?

I figured you just beat an enemy and it was added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah I am, and so did I, but I've got three enemies left unregistered in Magnus Zero and I'm sure as hell fighting them but nothing's coming up. Bah humbug.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Jade complained about his hip all the time, but he was Jade.

Not only does Zesty's site not have ages, it doesn't have last names, even though they seem to exist (at least for Alisha, who may be special by virtue of nobility).

Speaking of the Zesty site, I still don't get Zaveid. The interface has room for four bindable Celestials and Wind Step is specifically identified as being Dezel's power (e: and they showed his Choirals and Aspect right after Edna) - but actually, Zaveid is grouped with Rose in the character list. He has a weapon entry, which NPCs including Maltran and Sergei don't, but that weapon is a ??? (conspicuously declining even to say that it's Siegfried). And someone pointed out that if you split the box art in half, Lailah and Sorey are in the center and the others can, to a point, be divided by race (Alisha and Rose on the left, Edna and Mikleo on the right). Which would make sense and be thematic, but Zaveid is on the right and Dezel is on the left...
My theory is that the party will split at some point, with four going one way and four going the other. It'd fit with the 'Sorey betrays himself' theory some people have been tossing around, too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

My theory is that the party will split at some point, with four going one way and four going the other. It'd fit with the 'Sorey betrays himself' theory some people have been tossing around, too.

Going by stuff Lailah has said, the bad thing Sorey risks is becoming so embittered/in despair that he generates his own Defilement and becomes Possessed. I suspect if that really happens or if Sorey is otherwise knocked out of commission in some way, Rose gets a character chapter and possibly becomes a second Shepherd.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In my continuing adventure through Vesperia:

• Am I seriously the only one in the world who doesn't think it's the pinnacle of action RPG design that if I start a basic attack chain into Destruction Field, the enemy who was hit by all the attacks can recover and guard in the time it takes Destruction Field to land?
  • I got Fatal Strikes and they're as lovely as I remember. It takes roughly the monster's HP of doing nothing but FS-effective attacks to unbalance it. There is a margin of error/variation of, like, 1.6 actual moves. So basically it's a system that demands you memorize the genus/color table and then spam one-color combos forever if you want to actually use it (you only get eight moves in the original, too, and I'm not getting the Arte Ball for a while). I don't know why they even bothered explaining what the bonuses are for humanoids and inorganics. Wait, are you supposed to use Half/Quarter Damage? Basically gently caress Fatal Strikes.
  • I'm playing on hard. As always, regular encounters are just about right, but bosses are murderous. But this game apparently somehow predates the invention of retrying special encounters. If it wasn't obvious, I'm on the chapter about the Hunter Swords guild, and getting from a save point to the local boss fight involves going down a beautifully animated corkscrew for 1000 years. (Shouldn't there be a Second/Moderate?)
  • In the crafting menu, it's got the perfectly reasonable Tales series bulk-buy controls, but locks them down so you have to craft everything (except consumables, I guess) one by one. You can't select two rapiers, or a rapier and another weapon. Probably a coding shortcut since it has to deduct materials from your inventory.
  • p.s. I've been crafting up since I don't feel like fighting the Giant anymore. Death to grinding for materials.
  • I feel like I got kind of mad at another menu but I can't remember which one so it can't have been that bad.
  • No way 烈砕衝破 is "Crushing Eagle." Where the hell would they have gotten "Eagle"?
  • By the way, who said you could use the S. Flag to be Repede on the field? Because you can't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

[*] By the way, who said you could use the S. Flag to be Repede on the field? Because you can't.
[/list]
You can in the PS3 version, can't you?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Endorph posted:

You can in the PS3 version, can't you?

There's a second S. flag if I remember correctly.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

There's a second S. flag if I remember correctly.

Yes I just looked it up and there is a Special Flag R, which is probably craftable way later.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

In my continuing adventure through Vesperia:

• Am I seriously the only one in the world who doesn't think it's the pinnacle of action RPG design that if I start a basic attack chain into Destruction Field, the enemy who was hit by all the attacks can recover and guard in the time it takes Destruction Field to land?
  • I got Fatal Strikes and they're as lovely as I remember. It takes roughly the monster's HP of doing nothing but FS-effective attacks to unbalance it. There is a margin of error/variation of, like, 1.6 actual moves. So basically it's a system that demands you memorize the genus/color table and then spam one-color combos forever if you want to actually use it (you only get eight moves in the original, too, and I'm not getting the Arte Ball for a while). I don't know why they even bothered explaining what the bonuses are for humanoids and inorganics. Wait, are you supposed to use Half/Quarter Damage? Basically gently caress Fatal Strikes.
  • I'm playing on hard. As always, regular encounters are just about right, but bosses are murderous. But this game apparently somehow predates the invention of retrying special encounters. If it wasn't obvious, I'm on the chapter about the Hunter Swords guild, and getting from a save point to the local boss fight involves going down a beautifully animated corkscrew for 1000 years. (Shouldn't there be a Second/Moderate?)
  • No way 烈砕衝破 is "Crushing Eagle." Where the hell would they have gotten "Eagle"?

Truth be told, I never liked Destruction Field precisely for that reason - the wind-up leaves you open.

For Fatal Strikes, it's less about the color of the arte you're using and more about the number of hits that the attack does (which is why Shining Fang is pretty much Yuri's best blue arte for the entire game); at the point you're at, FSing an enemy is just a quicker way of taking out the last bits of HP but, as the Skills start coming in, doing Fatal Strikes will allow for stuff like recovering TP which is pretty much essential if you want more freedom to attack.
Enemies WILL get bulkier as you move along and FSing them will matter a bit more, especially if you remember their particular color weakness (and, regardless of that, FSing a boss is always nice damage).

No idea on the Crushing Eagle thing - all I could find related to "衝破" was that it's a mandarin verb that means "to break through". What is this even supposed to mean in japanese? Their own wiktionary entry only points out to the chinese verb.

By the by, those stairs ARE bullshit (I'd suggest switching to Rita and spamming OVL/Fireball as the boss is weak to fire).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
衝破 is a word localization teams seem to throw away on a regular basis (which I learned while trying to find a precedent for Alisha's Mystic Arte, the tragically precedented "Light Blast"), so there's no real precedent for it as an arte name component, and 烈砕 is completely out. If it were a five-kanji Arte I'd say something like "Pulverizing Quake". As it stands, I'd go closer to "Crushing Wave." (Though fun fact: Crushing Eagle comes back as an Ivar arte.)

If you weren't paying attention to me a few weeks ago (not that I'm blaming you), Alisha's Mystic Arte is 翔破裂光閃 (extremely roughly, "Rising Rending Light"). It was originally a Mystic Arte used by Judas, but the first time it came to English, it was in Abyss as an FOF change to 閃光墜刃牙 ("Light Falling Fang," but officially "Light Spear Cannon"), itself an Arcane version of an old Arte called 閃空裂破 ("Light Air Rend", officially "Light Spear", though for god knows what reason, Alvin in Xillia had it as "Tornado Drive"). Anyway, this the Arte, the one that was an upgrade to "Light Spear Cannon", that ends up being Light Blast.

They'll probably change it quietly and ignore it, though, to be honest. I kind of hope so, it's the legitimate best option.

Anyway, that's enough of me acting like Kajitani.

quote:

By the by, those stairs ARE bullshit (I'd suggest switching to Rita and spamming OVL/Fireball as the boss is weak to fire).

Can't. The fight starts as Yuri alone, with other PCs filtering in over time; hopefully Rita is among those who joins, but even so I still don't have the Moon Selector. I'll just set it down to normal for bosses like I always do.

Maybe I should just main Repede. It'll only be the third time I've primarily played a secondary "partner" character on grounds of being faster. But then, the game likes to isolate Yuri a lot, doesn't it? Much more than usual, surely.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Yuri's favorite hobby is parting with the group.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

They'll probably change it quietly and ignore it, though, to be honest. I kind of hope so, it's the legitimate best option.

Anyway, that's enough of me acting like Kajitani.

Can't. The fight starts as Yuri alone, with other PCs filtering in over time; hopefully Rita is among those who joins, but even so I still don't have the Moon Selector. I'll just set it down to normal for bosses like I always do.

Maybe I should just main Repede. It'll only be the third time I've primarily played a secondary "partner" character on grounds of being faster. But then, the game likes to isolate Yuri a lot, doesn't it? Much more than usual, surely.

Eh, maybe they had some weird reasons for outright renaming attacks...that said, I've no idea what led them to go with that CANNON bit.

And I totally forgot that Yuri started out alone. That said, you don't need to attack the Giant - just free run for a bit and people will join in (Rita will be present, too).

Since, indeed, you can't have the Moon Selector at this point, your best bet would be to turn off all of Rita's sells except for those that the boss are weak to and set her AI to go all out with TP and stay away. Her attacks will, at least, have an easier time to stagger the boss (if you go into OVL with Yuri, open with Wolf Strike to break his guard and spam Destruction Field as you won't have anything better).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Back to news - murmurs on the internet say that Zestiria is going to have full attachments just like Xillia.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
uh if it didn't nobody would buy the game in the states

full custom attachments is probably the biggest advancement in tales games since I dunno, the ability to map more than 4 artes?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Having a giant version of every mascot character ride every character's head was easily my favorite part of Xillia, they'd better keep it!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Sorry, everyone having sideburns and aviators is the actual best part hth.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Playing as a team of Elles with Aviators is probably the best thing about Xillia 2

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The best thing about Xillia 2 is the feeling of discomfort you get from making Alvin or Rowen into Presa or the hilarity of turning Elize into Jiao.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

My one real complaint about Xillia 2 was that it was hard to get the aviators until pretty late in the game. Couldn't they have made them a reward for an early job board mission or something?

^^^
The Ivar costume was made for Muzet, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Actias posted:

My one real complaint about Xillia 2 was that it was hard to get the aviators until pretty late in the game. Couldn't they have made them a reward for an early job board mission or something?

^^^
The Ivar costume was made for Muzet, and no one can convince me otherwise.
Shhhh! Keep it down. They might make Aviators cost $5 one day at this rate :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The best thing about Xillia 2 is the feeling of discomfort you get from making Alvin or Rowen into Presa or the hilarity of turning Elize into Jiao.

excuse me

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Are you saying you haven't turned a little girl into a giant hammer man or an elderly butler into a woman with a revealing wardrobe?

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkKjNS9ebw

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wow, Teepo's japanese voice is terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
In the post-game you can unlock model swaps that let you stick NPC models onto your party members

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

In the post-game you can unlock model swaps that let you stick NPC models onto your party members

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Are you saying you haven't turned a little girl into a giant hammer man or an elderly butler into a woman with a revealin wardrobe?

i was not earlier sold on tales of xillia 2

i am now sold on tales of xillia 2

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i was not earlier sold on tales of xillia 2

i am now sold on tales of xillia 2

Only thing is unlocking them involves running through the pretty boring postgame dungeon a bunch of times, but its an awesome thing.

I really liked the titles in graces that turned party members into copies of others too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the post-game dungeon in xillia 2 is a little boring but not vesperia's post-game dungeon boring

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

the post-game dungeon in xillia 2 is a little boring but not vesperia's post-game dungeon boring

But you dont need to do Vesperia's upwards of 40 times to get everything out of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But you dont need to do Vesperia's upwards of 40 times to get everything out of it.
You need to do it like 12 times to get all the fake gald you need to clear it, and it's way longer than X2's.

Also in X2's you can run past the enemies a lot of the time.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

You need to do it like 12 times to get all the fake gald you need to clear it, and it's way longer than X2's.

Also in X2's you can run past the enemies a lot of the time.

Whatever, they both suck. :P Being marginally better than Vesperia's doesnt excuse doing the same three rooms over and over.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

None of the postgame dungeons in any of the Tales games I've played have been any good.

Symphonia's has a bad gimmick and is generally a slog.
Graces has random treasure chest hell.
Xillia's was like a post-processing nightmare mixed with reused maps.
Xillia 2's was just boring and a bit too cryptic with its gimmicks.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I vaguely remember liking the bonus dungeon in Abyss. Its been like 8 years though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RMZXAnarchy posted:

None of the postgame dungeons in any of the Tales games I've played have been any good.

Symphonia's has a bad gimmick and is generally a slog.
Graces has random treasure chest hell.
Xillia's was like a post-processing nightmare mixed with reused maps.
Xillia 2's was just boring and a bit too cryptic with its gimmicks.

You forgot Dawn of the New World's :suicide:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I never played DotNW's Post-game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Didn't that only open up after your second playthrough or something? I never bothered with it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I wonder how many people who dont hate themselves enough to LP DotNW have even beaten it, let alone play past that. I love this series and couldnt get through a few hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wonder how many people who dont hate themselves enough to LP DotNW have even beaten it, let alone play past that. I love this series and couldnt get through a few hours.
Lots of people have beaten and enjoyed Dawn of the New World. The groupthink on SA is that it sucks but I've ran across plenty of people that liked it, or at least thought it was worth playing through.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Lots of people have beaten and enjoyed Dawn of the New World. The groupthink on SA is that it sucks but I've ran across plenty of people that liked it, or at least thought it was worth playing through.

Thats a Rad Anecdote.
Good for them. The game, for all I know, could get better as you move forward, but I hated everything about the first few hours. \o.o/

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thats a Rad Anecdote.
Good for them. The game, for all I know, could get better as you move forward, but I hated everything about the first few hours. \o.o/
'I wonder how many people have beaten Dawn of the New World.'
'Probably a good few?'
"WOAH, COOL ANECDOTE!'