Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So, I haven't played a Tales game since I tried of Phantasia like ten years ago. Somehow after PSN sales and drunk buying, I own Symphonia, Graces f, and Xillia. Not to mention Abyss on 3DS.

What should be my order of attack on these anime vidyas?

Also, I saw that the terrible version of Phantasia on iOS is/was shut down. Maybe the GBA version will resurface on the Wii U VC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I guess my first question would be which Phantasia, and did you like it?

Symphonia would be the most similar, I think, being essentially a transposition of earlier games into a 3D movement scheme and having many similar elements to Phantasia in particular. Graces and Xillia both have more intricate gameplay and you'll learn very new, different control and customization schemes (though I, myself, love them).

I would also recommend not playing Abyss before Symphonia. I did (with Innocence, which in some ways is like Abyss Pocket) and the Free Run feature (which Symphonia doesn't have, so you can only move on a line between you and the targeted enemy) utterly spoiled me. Xillia has the same feature, and Graces has a similar one.

e?: I should mention that Symphonia is a direct prequel to Phantasia and the other games are totally separate (except for references), so it shares some world elements and callbacks as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Machine posted:

So, I haven't played a Tales game since I tried of Phantasia like ten years ago. Somehow after PSN sales and drunk buying, I own Symphonia, Graces f, and Xillia. Not to mention Abyss on 3DS.

Also, I saw that the terrible version of Phantasia on iOS is/was shut down. Maybe the GBA version will resurface on the Wii U VC...
Might as well just go in order of release and do Symphonia->Abyss->Graces->Xillia. Those along with Vesperia are the big players in the franchise and 20 Tales fans will tell you 20 different answers as to which ones are best so you might as well just find out which ones you wind up liking the most yourself.

If you're hankering to play Phantasia again I strongly recommend the PSX version via a translation patch.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So if Milla comes back in Xillia 2, does that mean I get to beat the poo poo out of Ivar more? I hope so.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If you want to beat the poo poo out of Ivar, Xillia 2 is right up your alley. You do it on at least three occasions. I'm honestly not even sure what role he had in the plot.

Endorph posted:

Very happy, a little awkward, trying to be mature about it and focus on the task at hand instead of fanboying over her but he still fanboys a bit.

The way they act like she's dead early on was really odd though. She went off to be god, it's not like they can never see her again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The Machine posted:

Play all the ones you can get in English. Graces f, Symphonia 1/2 HD, Xillia, Abyss, whatever. I consider the Tales label a fairly reliable assurance that you will at least have fun playing it, regardless of nitpicks about combat style.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Nate RFB posted:

If you're hankering to play Phantasia again I strongly recommend the PSX version via a translation patch.

Weren't the guys who did the original Phantasia PSX patch working on the PSP X version? If anything wouldn't it be worth it to wait for that version, even if it's got an added character of questionable quality?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

So if Milla comes back in Xillia 2, does that mean I get to beat the poo poo out of Ivar more? I hope so.
Yes. He's your training dummy whenever you get a new weapon, and there're also three separate boss fights against him.

As for his role in the plot, he was basically just Rideaux's lackey.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Weren't the guys who did the original Phantasia PSX patch working on the PSP X version? If anything wouldn't it be worth it to wait for that version, even if it's got an added character of questionable quality?

No? I mean they might've been trying to do Narikiri Dungeon X, which is on the same UMD/game but they weren't doing Phantasia X I'm pretty sure.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nah, they're definitely working on the main Phantasia X stuff.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, they're working on both Phantasia X and Destiny Director's Cut at the moment. Phantasia X has been their priority since about April or so, when Hearts R's localisation was announced.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah, they're definitely working on the main Phantasia X stuff.

Yeah, they're working on both Phantasia X and Destiny Director's Cut at the moment. Phantasia X has been their priority since about April or so, when Hearts R's localisation was announced.

I don't want to get my hopes up again for a translated ToDR, but here I go again. :smith:

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

ChaosArgate posted:

No? I mean they might've been trying to do Narikiri Dungeon X, which is on the same UMD/game but they weren't doing Phantasia X I'm pretty sure.

The people who did the TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE translation patches for Phantasia PSX are working on a COMPLETELY NEW translation for Phantasia X. Yes, it's stupid. Fortunately, last time we knew anything they were working hard on Destiny remake.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Cross is the best version of Phantasia by a wide margin, which is entirely because it started taking tips from Eternia. Apart from general feel issues, which it's still the best at but not astronomically so, it has real-time spells and is unique among Phantasias in that regard. Unless the iOS one has those too, because I'm pretty sure Full Voice didn't (not that you should play the iOS one anyway - isn't it discontinued?)

It does have Rondoline E. Effenburg in it, but... ehhhhh.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The iOS version was discontinued, yes. I think its still playable if you have it downloaded but you can't save and its locked to the hardest difficulty so you'd have to struggle through the game in one go.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The iOS version was discontinued, yes. I think its still playable if you have it downloaded but you can't save and its locked to the hardest difficulty so you'd have to struggle through the game in one go.

I don't think it is, I'm pretty sure it just tells you it can't connect to the server as soon as you touch to start. I already deleted it off my phone so I can't double-check right now.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Endorph posted:

Yes. He's your training dummy whenever you get a new weapon, and there're also three separate boss fights against him.

As for his role in the plot, he was basically just Rideaux's lackey.

Ivar basically got kicked out of his parents basement, and is now in the "finding himself" stage of life.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-008836&page=top

Merchandise already? How do I know if I like the character when the game isn't even out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't need to like an anime girl to buy a figurine of her

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Cake Attack posted:

i don't need to like an anime girl to buy a figurine of her

What's the point of buying a character you know nothing about? That's like buying a tshirt of a band you've never listened to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megalixir posted:

What's the point of buying a character you know nothing about? That's like buying a tshirt of a band you've never listened to.

What's the sole reason the consumerbase buys figurines of female characters? You have your answer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the sole reason the consumerbase buys figurines of female characters? You have your answer.
There's one of Sorey too, though, and the Tales fanbase has a lot of women in it.

Megalixir posted:

They like the design.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Megalixir posted:

That's like buying a tshirt of a band you've never listened to.

some store clerk gave me poo poo for that once

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They revealed how Skills work. It's... involved. I'll write in detail later when I have time.

On the other hand it seems they might be actually bonuses now, as opposed to important controls (every game, jesus, do you seriously need to make me earn Recovery) or character-defining style components.

Also, the Lunarre (yeah apparently that's how you spell it) voice clip is real and it's amazing. Shame there's only one of it.

The one for Symonne (yeah apparently that's how you spell it) is... something. I think I'm just having issues because it's very different from how I imagined she'd be.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

is there some accurate gauge of how much effort it would actually require to give us all of these neat outfits in the West?

the madoka, code geass and vocaloid outfits were all fantastic and we never got any of it. it kills

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Looks like Mikleo forgot wear his Asuka costume.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Looks like Mikleo forgot wear his Asuka costume.
More like forgot his Kaworu costume.

Seriously he has white hair, why no Kaworu costume?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Excels posted:

is there some accurate gauge of how much effort it would actually require to give us all of these neat outfits in the West?

Lots of begging I imagine, more than the begging for the Xillia 2 costumes because those obviously didn't come out. I imagine it'd require Bamco to go and try to sort these things out with the license holders in the US and Japan and to them that might just be too much effort for optional costume DLC.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Excels posted:

the madoka, code geass and vocaloid outfits were all fantastic and we never got any of it. it kills

On top of international licensing there's probably extra localization, voice acting, and coordination. I wonder if the unreleased costume voice data is in the code for the other ones, though? Or the text resources, at that.

Okay so let's talk about equipment and skills. Buckle your poo poo in.

Each piece of equipment (example given: Sorey's Ancient Earrings) comes with one default skill, and up to three other skills determined randomly --

Wait, wait, give me a minute.

This system so far is basically from Tales of Destiny 2, and in that game, variants of equipment with additional bonuses (extra stats, damage types, resistances, etc.) were trash drops. You got them regularly, you could flip through the ones you had to find an perk you liked, and you could use crafting to try to splice traits you liked into other/higher weapons (of the same type, I think). It is a little like gems in Graces, except that you actually got axes or whatever instead of gems - which also meant the grinding loop of splice, temper, extract didn't exist.

Other than that, the Destiny 2 system is shaped like Graces. The tier of the resulting weapon is averaged, and it retained the highest abilities of its components. Much less back-and-forth, though.

Still here? Okay. So each piece of equipment comes with one default skill and up to three other skills determined randomly. Now here's where it gets weird.

In addition to just giving you a bonus, as Destiny 2 or Graces, each skill also lights up a box on the Skill Table, which you can check from the equipment screen with a button. And what's the point of that, you ask?

Well, it seems that if you get the right patterns on your table, you get extra skill bonuses.

If you stack the same tile...

If you get horizontally adjacent tiles...

Or, for particularly good bonuses, if you get a full column. (The example given here is a +20 to every stat!)

The site coyly says that the first two bonuses are unlocked if you have "two or more." Presumably it stacks if you go beyond 2.

But Caphi, this sounds ridiculously luck-based! The game basically decides for you which tiles on the table get lit up!

Well, yeah. But Destiny 2 gave you ability-bearing equipment en masse and let you fuse it to combine good abilities and keep the powerful ones. And so, it seems, does Zestiria.

...granted, the example they give involves splicing Sorey's default earrings (with a skill called Locking - don't ask me why, it's a Paralysis Check) into a second one that has both that and Bloody, resulting in an Ancient Earrings +1 that has both the skills of the latter (though, to be fair, a higher base bonus). Feels like they could have picked one that actually tells me how you can build up your four skills per equipment. (There are, for the record, five equipment slots and 50 squares on the grid, five elements and ten symbols. Dunno what the symbols mean or do.)

And tempering? Not much data there. The site just says that equipment gets extra bonuses as it's tempered and fusing tempered equipment makes it even stronger. Other than whatever effect it has on crafting, though, it's a straightforward equipment xp system, unlike Graces with the extraction and all that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Caphi posted:

On top of international licensing there's probably extra localization, voice acting, and coordination. I wonder if the unreleased costume voice data is in the code for the other ones, though? Or the text resources, at that.

I recall somebody saying the Star Driver text in X1 (and presumably X2 as well) was completely translated. Not that it really is anything significant, considering tons of games have cut content in localizations get translated or still exist in some form.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I recall somebody saying the Star Driver text in X1 (and presumably X2 as well) was completely translated.

This isn't too uncommon if people are digging around in unused code. Localizing teams won't discriminate, typically they will just translate all text files regardless of importance.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Looks like Zestiria is getting a controller, and it comes with a bonus cloth of the characters in smaller form.

3980 yen, 22/1. What's interesting is that this is being made by Hori, who typically make controllers that are even better than the officials. I might pick it up.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
That is a slick rear end controller.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only problem I can see with it is that the left side will feel weird to hold. But it does look very nice.

I just really want them to put down a more solid international date. I know Tales is on the up again in the west, but it's hard to fight the memories of when it was a miracle they'd even consider bringing it over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I just really want them to put down a more solid international date.
There wasn't even a solid JP release date until a little while ago, and the game's already been confirmed for international release. Relax, dude.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I plan to buy the game on release for myself and then (assuming it pays off, like, 60% or so of my excitement) again in English to share.

e: So... Zaveid definitely is the eighth party member? I can only continue to assume he counts as a human.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 31, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Excels posted:

Am I the only one that thinks these look loving terrible?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

They blew their load with the Madoka costumes that they already did and you can't even get anymore anyway.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

KoB posted:

Am I the only one that thinks these look loving terrible?

they look better inside the robot cockpits tbh

KoB
May 1, 2009

Excels posted:

they look better inside the robot cockpits tbh

I guess I think theyre terrible in the source material as well, so maybe theyre spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're pretty accurate representions of the plugsuit outfits but the plugsuits weren't really made for 3d.