Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, you need some way to run backups. Originally we wanted to make a homebrew tool that allowed you to play it with just a game disc and a firmware that can run unsigned code, but that didn't pan out so it'll be just a patch tool that modifies the game files.

So... you would need a PS3 that hasn't played a new game or updated online since Vesperia PS3 came out, basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not quite that long but yeah, the last known exploitable firmware is 3.55. Can't do much about that, and would have been the same even if we made a homebrew tool.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone found other exploits in the future though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Not quite that long but yeah, the last known exploitable firmware is 3.55. Can't do much about that, and would have been the same even if we made a homebrew tool.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone found other exploits in the future though.

Even though I won't be able to use it, mad respect for all the work you and others have done finishing the translation. ♥

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I have to fight the entire Xillia 1 cast

well

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just got the Direct Tethering skit in Xilia 2. Gaius is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Hopefully he does take responsibility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius is awesome. I wish more final bosses joined your party as chill ridiculous dudes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Gaius owns a million bones and is the best character in the game

I'm not looking forward to when I finally get him to spawn

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do the Elite monsters ever become unavailable? I'm at a point where I've paid off the a debt payment to unlock the next bit of the main story, but I'm already at the "max" allowable amount of money so anything I get from fighting the elites will just get absorbed by the bank. It'd be better if I could I wait until I have to buy up new armor/weapons and then use the elite monster to rebuild my savings.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I had to go down to Easy to beat that fight but it's okay because it was the Bad Ending anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

I had to go down to Easy to beat that fight but it's okay because it was the Bad Ending anyway
Ludger has a hammer move that does a little aoe knockback and heals him. He has a skill that lets him use that move while being hit.

I used that move 1000 times in a row and beat the fight that way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Well I got Old Milia back.

I take back everything I said, I don't want Old Milia back if this is how it had to happen. Can't wait to loving shove a hammer into that red fucker's face.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I got Old Milia back.

I take back everything I said, I don't want Old Milia back if this is how it had to happen. Can't wait to loving shove a hammer into that red fucker's face.

Yeah that's about how I felt too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Remember how the... third? Zestiria trailer said that Rose rivaled Sorey in magical sensitivity, but she had some mental block that kept her from seeing devas? Not very subtly, either?

Remember how I thought that a 3 man party would work if the third was playing the deva who wasn't Sorey's partner?

No? Probably for the best...

because it sounds more and more like every human will end up able to assume Aspect as a basic combat mechanic.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Caphi posted:

because it sounds more and more like every human will end up able to assume Aspect as a basic combat mechanic.

And yet the arena will still be singles.

I like the sound of this. You won't feel so obligated to play as Sorey if everyone can do it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Chaotic Flame posted:

I like the sound of this. You won't feel so obligated to play as Sorey if everyone can do it.

It'll still be awkward for players 3 and 4 though (it looks like P2 might be the second human, which is nice of them).

I mean, so far only Rose is revealed, and god knows how it's going to work for Zaveid. But if Rose can do it, there's no reason Alisha, who is already explicitly borrowing Sorey's power (it's only after the ritual to become his attendant that she gains the ability to see devas), can't.

It's also worth noting that Rose's Water Aspect is also a bow (and, while the scan is small, it looks like the same bow), so the Aspects themselves are probably uniform across all the characters using them.

I'm hoping without expecting that a fused deva can do some kind of input, maybe like Rhythm, to help the leader, but unless they've learned from Xillia's link followers, it may be too much to ask.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I doubt Alisha will be able to do it, I imagine her gimmick will be that she's completely self-reliant in fights, while everyone else has to team up.

So as far as ordering this game, has anyone used cdjapan before? It looks like I'd get the bonus if I ordered from there, but I want to find out if there are any horror stories.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the other hand, I can absolutely see Alisha as the kind of character who will be Falling Behind, feel bad because she's Holding Everyone Back, go and do some Hard Work or maybe Take A Risk On Her Own, and make some kind of breakthrough in confidence or trust or something that manifests in an Awakened Power.

I say that, still hoping without reservation that it'll still be good in execution. The weird thing about being spoiled on story mechanics like this is that you know some disparate points but not how we'll get between them.

Alisha is a bit of an odd bird as The Heroine, anyway, and I think that's because of a theory I'm building where Sorey's position in the cast is essentially unique among Tales protagonists, or certainly nearly every one since Kyle.

e: One more thing while I'm here. Tales has done its share of symbolic ciphers (I know of Eternia, Graces, and I'm pretty sure Vesperia) and the content encoded in the game world varies from sparse to common and from fascinating to ridiculous. Anyway, this is the book about Greenwood that comes with the Ebten Famitsu Deluxe Set:

That's a perfectly straightforward substitution cipher (it's "The Description of Greenwood"). So, I guess, look out for that.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 14, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Have Alisha and Rose ever been in the same in-game screenshot together? Even when they're showing off all the costumes, they do it in multiple pictures.

My theory: The two are in the party at different times, ala the rotating fourth slot in Eternia.

Alisha's backstory is basically Ras's, anyway. :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Have Alisha and Rose ever been in the same in-game screenshot together? Even when they're showing off all the costumes, they do it in multiple pictures.

My theory: The two are in the party at different times, ala the rotating fourth slot in Eternia.

Alisha's backstory is basically Ras's, anyway. :v:

Eternia didn't have a rotating fourth slot. Keele just steps out a couple of times and is replaced by a guest.

I've seen theories that you end up choosing between them as your permanent party member, but that doesn't sound quite right; they have different plots, so if you do choose between them, there are essentially two different angles to the whole story, as if Vesperia let you choose either the Empire or Guild path or something. It'd be really interesting if they did that (tbh it's what I was expecting from Xillia), but I'm not sure if they would.

By the way, there is already a Zestiria wiki. Of course there is. Why did I ever think there wouldn't be?

A few notes based on that and some videos:

• Base Artes are definitely A chains from Graces. I haven't seen the tree screen personally.
  • Sorey (presumably the other humans as well) can set Arcane Arte bindings to both neutral and all four directions separately now (in Graces, forward/backward were one input). Dunno how manual works for devas, and they may also only have three Base chains, like the "casters" in Graces did.
  • There's also an Arte binding called "Auto" (お任せ). No idea how that works. It appears to be locked to the neutral input in the TGS demo, but I'm not sure.
  • Aspects all have their own Arcane bindings, obviously. In contrast to normal Sorey having five separate bindings, left/right and forward/backward bindings appear to be linked.
  • The unique arte each Aspect uses when it begins is called a "Banish Blast" (according to the wiki; it was just "Blast" in the TGS demo). The names are a huge pain. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that here.
  • In place of the Mystic Arte, each Aspect form has a "Healing Arte" (回復秘儀, the back end of which I believe is actually "Intermediate Arte" or whatever it is now). Dunno how it's triggered or how it works. Each element's is different.
  • (Arcane, at least) Artes have both effects and Graces-like enemy properties, but each Arte has maybe one property instead of full Graces. Properties are like Legless, Amorphous, and Undead.
  • Higher level Arcane Artes come from lower-level Arcane Artes, I guess?
  • I would really, really love to see how they translate some of these Artes.

e: Here's the video from TGS that I just found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CX0sNsqHHU

It's the best video of a live gameplay demo I've seen (not the gameplay slices they keep putting up on the official site), and it's also notable because around 4:44, during the Possessed snake battle, the player actually goes into the Arte menus and scrolls through Sorey's Arcane Artes and the others' Auto arte sheets. If anyone finds a video that's nicer, or of one of the demos they've been putting on at stores since (if they're different), or even just shows a different slice, I'd obviously love to see it.

The same guys also put up a video of the alternate "Story" mode of the demo, in which there's a little bit of gameplay, and then the party enters a town and Sorey and Mikleo snipe a dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaonBV78q4

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 14, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Caphi posted:

Awesome info as always

Thanks for bringing all the info to the thread! The more I hear about Zestiria the more excited I get.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well I beat the game, now to go play poker so I can drug everyone that's not Jude and Gaius into liking me as much as they do I guess

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Since I linked the wiki, here are its points on Aspect gameplay. I don't know what version of the demo this is based on, so take it with a grain of salt; I only translate (though I've added my own comments, I guess).

• Banish Blasts are activated by pressing R2 and Circle (Base Arte button) during the combo when assuming Aspect. (This is the bit I don't fully understand. This suggests that the act of assuming Aspect itself produces some hits which you have to combo into the Blast - possibly a weak hit, like the 1-damage Overlimit activation in Vesperia. I should re-clarify that by "assume" I mean at the moment you do the fusion; in Japanese it's distinguished by 神依 and 神依化.)
  • Healing I-Artes are likewise cast by pressing R2 when not comboing while in Aspect. (This probably spends BG, also.)
  • You can assume an Aspect if Sorey is unconscious. Unknown what the situation is if his partner is downed. (Either way, does it split their HP back when you break it?)
  • No time limit on Aspects.
  • You can assume Aspect even if you are controlling the deva. (No clue how this works if both partners are PCs, either.)

The multiplayer situation in Zestiria just gets more muddled with everything I hear about it, jeez.

Also, the arte list reminded me - the 7-11 arte is called 七星集気法, or "Seven Stars Center." (note: I have put "Seven Stars" because it's clearly for the 7, but it also means the Big Dipper. I have been working fruitlessly for days to find a suitably terrible pun.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

[*] There's also an Arte binding called "Auto" (お任せ). No idea how that works. It appears to be locked to the neutral input in the TGS demo, but I'm not sure.
Maybe like the one-step-arte accessory in Hearts R? You hit O four times and get the four artes you set, in the sequence you set them. So if you set Demon Fang, then Tiger Blade, then Sonic Thrust, then Tempest, you'd hit O once and get demon fang, then hit it immediately after and get tiger blade.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Graces had that too. It just picks any random B-Arte the AI thinks is good at the time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
jesus christ gaius's shadow has over a million hp

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Graces had that too. It just picks any random B-Arte the AI thinks is good at the time.

Definitely forgot that was a thing in Graces. They really did just take all the Graces code for combat controls, then.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Really? I don't remember this being in the game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

alcharagia posted:

jesus christ gaius's shadow has over a million hp

Now repeat that 50 times and you have Xillia 2's postgame in a nutshell.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Really? I don't remember this being in the game.

Yeah just clear your neutral B-Arte slot and then try to use it in-battle.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

It's been a while, but doesn't it take into account the artes you have turned off in Auto? I loosely remember doing this with Pascal to grind usage on some spells but it has been a while since I've done it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some more Xillia 2 thoughts...

You know what would make life so much easier in this game? If you could set up right stick shortcut artes that would change depending upon who you link with. Since each character only has a certain number of artes that properly link, if you change partners you probably have to completely change your loadout. This wasn't as much of a problem in Xillia 1 because you could use whomever you wanted most of the time. But here for plot reasons characters come and go, so if your preferred link partner is AWOL then you're poo poo out of luck. If you could have the right stick shortcuts change depending on who you link with, you could set up a sort of master list for everyone and thus always be able to reel off good overlimit chains no matter who you link with. As a side note, I am very glad they decided to allow Mystic Artes to be a part of the chain. That was a good idea.

Also please bring back strategy macros, I need it more than ever now that my characters are dumb and use too much TP and thus activate my Orange Gel Auto-Items.

Overall though I like what they've done with the game, it's fun. Collectively, I think they have something pretty good with the Xillia 1/2 world. And I desperately wish more JRPGs would have central locations where you could view lists of all available sidequests (Tales games especially).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I should get back to Xillia 2. I need to accept I can't (and shouldn't) do every quest. Yes.

I got sick of killing 15 monsters over and over after every plot event.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

I should get back to Xillia 2. I need to accept I can't (and shouldn't) do every quest. Yes.

The generic quests respawn anyway (sometimes with different amounts) so that's a fool's errand no matter what.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Volt Catfish posted:

The thing that irks me most aren't the respawning generic quests but those "RED TEXT DO IT NOW!" quests that, despite being for a ultra-weak monster or require an item that I have dozens of, will not allow me complete the drat thing until I've earned a few hundred million quest points.

:argh:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Cameo costumes are DLC again.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The more Altered Artes I get in Vesperia, the further the direction markings go on the vector from "worthless" to "actively lying."

-

I've gone ahead and called Sorey the third coming of Stan, so Mikleo as Leon is absolutely perfect.

There's another Mint, I guess. :effort: No complaints if we get Take Up the Cross again though. Lailah does wear it better than Elize. (Devas should get swapped even more often than partners in Xillia, so hopefully any costume music will get shuffled better.)

I wanted Edna to be Beryl, I think.

-

Zestiria's going to be at JumpFest this weekend, and apparently they're going to have another demo stand, a dragon demo, and another PV. I'll be looking out for all of them (you know, on the internet, after the fact). Don't forget Developer Stream #7 on Christmas (yeah, no one's going to be there for it even more than usual, but I'll be timeshifting it, as usual) and the anime special at the end of the month.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 18, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Other than Symphonia HD, I don't think they've ever not been, so this isn't really a surprise. I wish they had picked other characters for a lot of them though, did we really need another Mint costume? Will not say no to someone else dressing up as the Z Man, though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So.. Yuri, Luke, Leon and Mint again?

Hell, Zelos was already used in Graces so just Elize, Cheria and X2 Milla for new costumes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can get most of those in some way, but what do Luke and Dezel have in common, in any way? I was expecting Raven or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I remember in Vesperia they had skits where they all started behaving like their cameo costumes, it was cute :3: