Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't remember that in Xillia, but they'll definitely have win quotes, and new to Zestiria - going by the PVs for the school and idol costumes, at least - they'll change the battle music and the victory music as well.

I think the devas could have pulled off a good Hearts cycle. Lailah as Amber, Dezel as Jadeite, Edna as Beryl. This leaves Mikleo as Innes, but I think it works surprisingly well (he does have a large weapon).

Since I just remembered the Mystic Artes, is it less appropriate for Alisha to yell like Leia, or Cheria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Don't the cameo costumes often illustrate that the characters are interchangeable walking tropes, with some even sharing character-defining qualities (Zelos as Alvin, etc)?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Excels posted:

Don't the cameo costumes often illustrate that the characters are interchangeable walking tropes, with some even sharing character-defining qualities (Zelos as Alvin, etc)?

I don't really think Zelos and Alvin have much in common besides betraying you. Alvin is constantly shifting sides because he's not sure of himself or where to go or what to do. Zelos is kind of a dick but he's smart enough to basically play the villain into a double agent backstab kind of thing (Unless you chose Kratos over Zelos and if you did that you're dumb).

It's more nods at very broad generalizations between characters. "The Traiotrs" "The sporty girl" "The Mage kid".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Alvin and Zelos both have kinda hosed up backstories and betray you, but that's about it. I mean, Alvin's kind of a flirt too, I guess, but he isn't anywhere near committed to it as Zelos, and unlike Zelos Alvin's never really mean with it.

There's some surface traits that are similar, but the characters themselves are usually fairly different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Not really. Alvin and Zelos have nothing in common except betraying you.

There are archetypes that get repeated for certain, don't get me wrong, but usually it's character elements spread out across different concepts. ("This is the cool guy" and "This is the obvious traitor" and so-on.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 18, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah I'm not seeing it. I guess sometimes they have some things in common, maybe a personality trait or a party function (in Ludger's case, alternate forms). Sometimes it's just a joke. Hell, if you want to take the new reveal as examples, we've got Sorey as Yuri and Dezel as Luke, and Edna and Elize are basically opposites.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i guess accusing a jrpg of building characters out of tropes is like shooting fish in a barrel anyway

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

can you really call it shooting fish in a barrel when you were completely wrong

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Excels posted:

i guess accusing a jrpg of building characters out of tropes is like shooting fish in a barrel anyway

You gave an example of two characters you claimed were interchangeable, and when that was untrue and/or meaningless you said "yeah, haha, right?" I don't know what you're talking about or what you're trying to prove.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

can you really call it shooting fish in a barrel when you were completely wrong
Like shooting fish in a barrel *bullet swerves wildly, flies out window*

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's like shooting fish in a barrel, excels proudly says, holding his gun next to a leaking barrel full of live fish

e:

Endorph posted:

Like shooting fish in a barrel *bullet swerves wildly, flies out window*

i didn't see this when i made my joke, i am completely original

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Since this thread seems to be a little more active than my LP thread, quick question regarding Vesperia:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does anyone know how to trigger this scene? I can't recall ever running across it.
http://pastebin.com/0Ktf1TL3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Since this thread seems to be a little more active than my LP thread, quick question regarding Vesperia:
I can't find it in a 360 skit script, so I'm guessing it was added in the PS3 version?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No, it's in the 360 version's game files. It's a cutscene, not a skit, judging by its location it's part of the string of sidequest scenes where Rita names various blastia and eventually figures out why she likes them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you know for a fact it's actually watchable and not just left over in the script or something?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nope, could absolutely be an unused leftover.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hmm

yeah all I can say is that I've never seen it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Never seen it either, and I've done that sidequest in two separate playthroughs. I thought it was a skit because 'It's just that you were using a really rare type of magic.' makes it seem like it'd be triggered by using shadow spells, or a particular shadow spell, a certain amount of times, since Rita never uses anything but Fireball in cutscenes because the game has no way of knowing what spells you have.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Looking at that file a bit more it contains the location ID for Yormgen's inn, so the next time someone here plays through Vesperia rest at that inn at various points through the game and see if you can get it to play. Interesting either way, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe it's just because I can't remember many details of Vesperia's plot other than Yeager's ridiculous accent, but I can't figure out who Judith means when she says 'his own creation.'

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think she's talking about her dad, Hermes. It comes up in a few other Judith/Rita sidequest scenes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Maybe it's just because I can't remember many details of Vesperia's plot other than Yeager's ridiculous accent, but I can't figure out who Judith means when she says 'his own creation.'

wasn't judith's dad some magic dude?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm gonna fix this by pitching my pitches for "costumes that are most similar to the Zesty characters, based on prerelease information."

By the time I finished, it was over, but I'm posting it anyway #dwi

Mikleo: Leading with this to say that I stick with Leon because, again, it's perfect. (I've heard it said that Sorey and Mikleo could be Stan and Leon in another life where they were friends from early on, and I can see it.)
Sorey: Based on what I just said, you might expect me to pick Stan. You were almost right, but I think Yuri is actually a pretty decent pick too. The problem is that I suspect Sorey's hook is almost entirely unique, so any comparisons I'm making are based on projections of his arc that may or may not hold. (The actual ideal costume would be Milla, who sneaks outside of my secret half-baked uniqueness theory to fit almost perfectly, but I don't think there's a universe where that costume could ever happen.)
Rose: You know what? Annie. I have a reason for this, but the main one is that Rebirth doesn't get enough love.
Zaveid: Someone from Legendia, because Zaveid is an enigma and I mostly know Legendia as the one with the skintight magical shirts. Probably Will.
Lailah: I can see two reasons she'd be Mint: she's meant to be the healer and she's soft-spoken and polite. You know who I really want in, though? Philia. I'm terminally soft on Philia, and the braids would be hilariously enormous.
Edna: Anise, I think. She's tiny, sharp-tongued, and deceptively strong. Less perky, though; tiny girls until Edna have always tended to be perky. e: she also has a mascot doll that goes conspicuously unexplained! I might pay to see Tokunaga being whirled around that umbrella. Hell, I might pay to see Teepo.
Dezel: First impression: Veigue. Yeah, that's two Rebirth and two Destiny, that's how you know it's me.

Looking at that file a bit more it contains the location ID for Yormgen's inn, so the next time someone here plays through Vesperia rest at that inn at various points through the game and see if you can get it to play. Interesting either way, though.

That's kind of weird, because I'd expect an event about shadow magic to be after the Negative Gate event and Yormgen stops being a town around event 100-odd

vvv Wow I completely forgot Alisha. That's kind of concerning to me.

v2v The problem I'm having with Alisha is she's a knight and dedicated knights tend to be in positions that are very secondary and/or highly unfortunate (Leon, Ras, Milhaust, Flynn, Chalcedny). How does Chloe fit?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alisha: Ras, because seriously their backstories are 75% the same what the hell

Cake Attack posted:

wasn't judith's dad some magic dude?

I think she's talking about her dad, Hermes. It comes up in a few other Judith/Rita sidequest scenes.

oh yeah

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

It sounds similar to the scene in Aurnion when all the party members pair off and have their own scenes after the Flynn/Yuri duel

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I remember ToV! 1000'd that poo poo. If the third part was structured better it would be the best Tales game for sure, ah well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You know, I got to where you spawn Canaan in Xillia 2 and I finally figured out what this game was missing.

Howe's Egg Principle.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You know, I got to where you spawn Canaan in Xillia 2 and I finally figured out what this game was missing.

Howe's Egg Principle.

If a giant space fetus appears in a completely empty sky, the cause can only have... no, wait...

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

If a giant space fetus appears in a completely empty sky, the cause can only have... no, wait...

Obviously, the giant baby's the newborn Sky Spirit.

Was there ever one of those? Closest I can think of is Luna but that's the Moon...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

Real Talk: Why did 02 from Kirby sit out a Star child? Is that supposed to be Origin? Or does the land of Canaan just look like a giant fetus?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Volt Catfish posted:

I remember ToV! 1000'd that poo poo. If the third part was structured better it would be the best Tales game for sure, ah well.

The issues with ToV started well before the third act. The first act and the first half of the second act are good but the moment Alexei reveals himself as a villain the entire plot just falls apart.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hunt11 posted:

The issues with ToV started well before the third act. The first act and the first half of the second act are good but the moment Alexei reveals himself as a villain the entire plot just falls apart.

Actually, it's fair to say that Alexei's betrayal marks the moment when societal commentary gives way to magical oil metaphor destiny completely, but it's only the turning point of a long process. The Child of the Full Moon revelations are in full swing, Judith has gone and returned, you've met multiple Entelekeia, and you've literally just learned about the World Eater. Alexei deploying the Heracles is just the point where that thread officially picks up the Empire and runs off with it (and even that had its seeds sown with Belius' segment), largely subsuming both the justice debate and the question of succession into the problem of Estelle's powers. But then, that's about where I am - and until Myorzo, Flynn hadn't been around for a while and I feel like I'd spent a lot of time doing very little outside of following up on Entelekeia stuff for Estelle, so those questions had been in the background for a while even then.

Not coincidentally, the temple whose name I've just forgotten seems to be about the time Flynn's joined me for good.

Vesperia doesn't make a hard right like I and I think many others remember. That shouldn't make anyone stop feeling that the first plot was better than the second, though.

(Disclaimer: I'm actually still on the Heracles right now.)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

some fine beach booties

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Excels posted:

some fine beach booties

Are the swimsuits at least unlockable or is everything DLC now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

all dlc all the way

no reason not to do it that way really, at least from their perspective

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

hahahahahahahaha oh mercy

never expect scamco to give you something for free that they could make you pay for instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please dont do this

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

scamco badguy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I prefer DLC costumes over unlockables. They may cost money but they're also available early in the game as opposed to being a late-game or difficult to get unlock which is basically stuck as being a NG+ feature instead. If I want to play pretty princess dressup I want to do it from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

:(