Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

The attachment system is apparently upgraded from Xillia, so you'd have that from the start anyway.

I'm not sure why you think more control over what attachments look like mean you won't still have to find them?

-

I think Xillia's characters are supposed to look otherworldly. They're pretty much all simple-colored and matched full-body sets with fantasy Tron lines. The exceptions are conspicuously Alvin and Milla (though actually, Alvin's trying to do as Romans do). You start seeing real clothes when you get to Elympios, as part of the "wow it's modern now" attack, and in Xillia 2 all the characters are half-living in Elympios anyway. Except Milla, who looks more Xillia 1 than she did in Xillia 1.

-

I think Sorey's mantle (which I believe he specifically gets at some point; until then he's in this blue jumpsuit-looking thing, which the mantle goes over) is supposed to be a little reminiscent of Cress, sure. It goes around his chest and then falls off down his back. The thing that gets me is that it looks like Cress because Cress wore a breastplate with a cape. Sorey is wearing something "modern" wrought in the vague silhouette of Cress. Maybe that's the idea.

There's something to say about how the games' armor types (heavy/coat/robe/etc.) and names and skins have been utterly pointless since Destiny, I suspect. Bets on Sorey "wearing" full plate. Bets on Zaveid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like, I mean, welcome to Tales of Fashion SWAT.

Nanaly Fletcher, Tales of Destiny 2

Here we see Nanaly in her usual combat wear. She's rocking a bronze chainmail bikini that she's chosen to accessorize with loving enormous lime gloves, and a black... belt... bra... turtleneck?

We can also see that she needs two belts, to better hold her Useless Giant Gem. Her asscape is in full swing, showing her black shorts and lacy white thigh-highs. She has apparently not bothered to put on shoes, or perhaps she has her shoes on under her socks.

Compared to that, Jude's outfit is pretty good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Reasonable combat gear was what Fortuna offered, so she rejected it and chose her own path.

e: Actually let's have a real talk. Nanaly's whole thing is self-reliance and glorification of the struggle of life. Do those clothes look like she made them by herself in a desert shithole while caring for a dozen rugrats?

e2: I guess it would explain why she had to strap on her armor bra. Doesn't explain the armor bra, though.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 20, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the giant useless gem is Very Important to the designs

in two or more cases it is integral to the plot

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

can we talk about gilland's almost-but-not-quite mc hammer pants

Huh, Gilland actually does have the armband on. Never noticed that before.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's a skit at one point in Xillia where they pick on Jude for wearing that ridiculous coat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mill Village posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a skit at one point in Xillia where they pick on Jude for wearing that ridiculous coat.

Yeah he retorts that some nice young lady picked it out for him at some trendy shop IIRC.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah he retorts that some nice young lady picked it out for him at some trendy shop IIRC.

Also that he went out and bought what he thought were "city clothes" when he got accepted to Talim. Remember, Leronde is essentially a hick town.

e: I think something was said about him blowing his entire allowance on it as well.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 21, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, I don't really mind Jude's coat. I figured Fenmont would be chilly since it's always night, so he got a silly looking coat because he's 15. In a list of ridiculous Tales designs, he'd be pretty low, especially when his co-protagonist role is filled by Milla.

Caphi posted:

I'm not sure why you think more control over what attachments look like mean you won't still have to find them?

Not only do you get attachments much earlier and more often than costumes, it looked like you could change their default outfits too. They showed Sorey not wearing his Colette jacket thing, for instance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

Eh, I don't really mind Jude's coat. I figured Fenmont would be chilly since it's always night, so he got a silly looking coat because he's 15.

Oh my god, that's loving right, he's supposedly 15 too! Despite clearly attending a college equivalent, and not resembling said age in his behavior at all. Jude's design just sucks. Milla all the way :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's Anime College man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Also that he went out and bought what he thought were "city clothes" when he got accepted to Talim. Remember, Leronde is essentially a hick town.

e: I think something was said about him blowing his entire allowance on it as well.

yeah. Country boy goes to the big city to get his degree, has trendy girl in expensive store pick out a coat for him. Jude's a pretty cool guy.

Also finally playing NG+ in Xillia to see how Millia's side of the story goes. Holy poo poo is Alvin so much more untrustworthy in her story. That scene with Jude's Dad alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Oh my god, that's loving right, he's supposedly 15 too! Despite clearly attending a college equivalent, and not resembling said age in his behavior at all. Jude's design just sucks. Milla all the way :colbert:
it's medieval medical school i can handle the idea of him being 15

and i mean he's chill but he's also pretty unsure of himself, gets unnerved easily, can be kind of a dumbass despite being smart (just look at how he handles elize). that sounds like teenagerism to me

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have no idea how people can think Jude is older than 15. This is a world where people can magically heal people with their minds, do you really think medical school is going to just be for adults? He's also naive to the world around him and doesn't even know what boobs are. 15 is pretty much the perfect age for him.

If anything, if he acts like a lot of older JRPG protagonists, that says a lot more about their ages being too high, than his being too low.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Momomo posted:

I have no idea how people can think Jude is older than 15. This is a world where people can magically heal people with their minds, do you really think medical school is going to just be for adults? He's also naive to the world around him and doesn't even know what boobs are. 15 is pretty much the perfect age for him.

If anything, if he acts like a lot of older JRPG protagonists, that says a lot more about their ages being too high, than his being too low.

I think that says how the average JRPG protagonist is barely more intelligent than frogspawn than anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yeah. Country boy goes to the big city to get his degree, has trendy girl in expensive store pick out a coat for him. Jude's a pretty cool guy.

Also finally playing NG+ in Xillia to see how Millia's side of the story goes. Holy poo poo is Alvin so much more untrustworthy in her story. That scene with Jude's Dad alone.

I like how Milla's side of the story makes it clear that at no point does Milla buy his bullshit, she just considers it more of a threat to not have him where she can see him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I made you something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8Zqc4FG5s

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Awesome! Is this the first time we've seen multiple Aspects at once?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Momomo posted:

What 15 year old teenager does not know what boobs are? :crossarms:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Was that Norio Wakamoto at the end? It sounded a bit like him, but he's so associated with Barbatos that I don't know if they'd use him again.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Merryz Christmaz!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I guess Zest comes out in a little less than a month? Still holding out hope for a PS4 version now, or down the line.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Is that the Dark Turtlez? I thought he was a guy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wdarkk posted:

Is that the Dark Turtlez? I thought he was a guy.

I'm a Turtlez! Can't ya tellz just by lookin'?

A mysterious creature Sorey meets several times in his journey. Carries an odd shell and speaks with a unique accent.
A deva? A Possessed? Maybe something entirely different?
Sorey and Mikleo argue rather violently about it.
Has a passion for making maps of areas around the world and is willing to sell them.
He (?) (sic) seems to be using the profits to chase somebody on a long journey...

tl;dr You can buy maps from him, and those maps will fill in details of the terrain and undiscovered landmarks on the world map, which otherwise comes with only outlines and important markers. Link

No clue what the Dark Turtlez is doing there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Caphi posted:

Beats having a Katz.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Beats having a Katz.

The Katz are awesome, shut your drat mouth.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The Katz are awesome, shut your drat mouth.

So are Turtlez :colbert:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

wdarkk posted:

So are Turtlez :colbert:

Here's a formula:

Cats>Turtles

In fact, you can replace "turtles" with any other animal, and it will still be accurate.

Though the Turtlez are pretty cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why does the voice acting still play even after you X through the dialogue in Hearts...wtf.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why does the voice acting still play even after you X through the dialogue in Hearts...wtf.

it's hosed up

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Dark Turtlez is a lovely annoying boss and I hate him

also merry christmas and best wishes to all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

it's hosed up

It's pissing me the frig off.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm a Turtlez! Can't ya tellz just by lookin'?

A mysterious creature Sorey meets several times in his journey. Carries an odd shell and speaks with a unique accent.
A deva? A Possessed? Maybe something entirely different?
Sorey and Mikleo argue rather violently about it.
Has a passion for making maps of areas around the world and is willing to sell them.
He (?) (sic) seems to be using the profits to chase somebody on a long journey...

tl;dr You can buy maps from him, and those maps will fill in details of the terrain and undiscovered landmarks on the world map, which otherwise comes with only outlines and important markers. Link

He's chasing Rolo, the Emperor of Cats.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What's the deal with this friendship bond thing in ToH? I don't recall it being explained anywhere but apparently Kor and Hisui are closer now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's the deal with this friendship bond thing in ToH? I don't recall it being explained anywhere but apparently Kor and Hisui are closer now.
As the bond increases, characters get the skills of other characters in the party, and I believe the Unison Finish chance increases (if you have no idea what a unison finish is, keep playing)

Look at Kor and Hisui's skill list, and they should each have a skill with an icon of the other character next to it. That's the skill they got from the bond.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also changes the post-combat dialogue I believe. You get different quotes at higher friendship levels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It also changes the post-combat dialogue I believe. You get different quotes at higher friendship levels.
And there's a little section in the status screen where you can see everyone's thoughts on each other, which is extremely cool and, of course, never mentioned at all. There isn't even a button prompt for it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Famitsu reveals something legitimately interesting today. Excerpt:

"When you first gain access to Aspects, you'll be able to win easily with little stress simply by using it and mashing attacks, but as the story advances, this will become less true.

There's a triangle between the Base Artes, Arcane Artes, and Choiral Spells the characters can learn. So for instance, against an enemy that focuses on spells, attacking with Base Artes can interrupt their chanting. However, attacking with an Arcane Arte could actually speed up the spell. Things like this make it very dangerous to simply attack without thinking. [...] Arcane Artes are strong against Base Artes, Base Artes are strong against spells, and spells are strong against Arcane Artes."

The chanting thing is the only example they give, so I'm not sure what they mean by "strong against." I think Arcane Artes can't be interrupted by basic attacks, so that might be part of it, but don't quote me on that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there any way to gently caress up a Soma in Hearts R? I just got Ines and I really just want to make her all Fight or whatever path does +HP +PATK to get her to that weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't think there's a Respec option but the game does give you enough points by the max level to fully upgrade every path.