Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

Riki is married, has 11 children, is middle aged and is drowning in gambling debt.

:psyduck:

Yeah, the whole reason they stuck him with the job of Heropon was because they'd erase his debts, keep his kids fed, and if he dies well no big loss. Being Heropon is basically the same as the Arbiter in Halo - you're gonna get killed, you'll just be useful until it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Zore posted:

Riki is married, has 11 children, is middle aged and is drowning in gambling debt.

:psyduck:

Is there a child character that wouldn't be way better if this were the case?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anise is also drowning in gambling debt

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Not many JRPGs are set in the American deep South, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

anise is also drowning in gambling debt

I think it is mostly just regular debt because she is too young to gamble. And also once you find out she is drowning in debt she becomes a much better character, so the system works.

I think Tales in general does a pretty decent job with its child characters. But i've only played Xillia, Abyss, and Vesparia, so maybe they're much worse in all other Tales games.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Playing through Xillia for the first time. First tales game as an adult, (played a couple hours of Symphonia) but it feels like coming home to something. I feel like I don't really expect much of JRPGs other than they be charming and fun, or at least interesting and messy, something that Final Fantasy hasn't been since at least XII. And the Persona / Shin Megami Tensei stuff is good, but it's not the same. Which Tales games are available in English, btw? I'd be interested in checking them out.

Re: Xillia, I've just gotten up to to the part where you're exposed to more about Elise's past, and drat. I dunno what I was expecting, but child trafficking, experimentation, and the hosed up way the Teepo reveal was handled... it's just so fantastically jarring with everything else that's come before it. Very effective. Very impressed.

Am I right in guessing that you Goon's favourite character is Alvin? He's pretty great, but I also really like Leia (who I imagine people can't stand that much). She's definitely a type, but I like that they're implying that a lot of her competitiveness comes from her trying to make up for some debilitating illness she used to suffer from -- which, thankfully, they're so far refrained from harping on about.

That said, I was laugh and laugh if it turns out that she can't walk either.

Teepo and Elise have been annoying as gently caress though. I was hoping that there was nothing magical about the sock puppet, and it was all just a function of her mind being hilariously broken by the years of abuse she's suffered from, but I thought it was futile on my part. Reveal was even better than I expected.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Playing through Xillia for the first time. First tales game as an adult, (played a couple hours of Symphonia) but it feels like coming home to something. I feel like I don't really expect much of JRPGs other than they be charming and fun, or at least interesting and messy, something that Final Fantasy hasn't been since at least XII. And the Persona / Shin Megami Tensei stuff is good, but it's not the same. Which Tales games are available in English, btw? I'd be interested in checking them out.

Off the top of my head, here are the ones on recent consoles; Vesperia (X360), Symphonia (PS3), Abyss (3DS), Graces f (PS3).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Open Source Idiom posted:

:words:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected to like Alvin a lot, but for plot reasons I won't spoil, he ended up being one of my least favorites. Leia is probably my favorite too, followed by Ronan.

Xillia is fine, but Vesperia for the 360 (or the PS3 if you can read Japanese) is one of my favorite games ever. I also like Abyss for the PS2 or 3DS more than Xillia, so definitely check those out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I wrapped up things in Grand Chokmah in Tales of the Abyss, now I guess I'll have to do that long-rear end backtrack through Theia Forest and all the way down the continent to St. Bina-

"We are now travelling to St. Binah"

"Go there directly? Yes/No"

:stare:

:stonklol:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

do we know when zesty tales is coming out?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Or on what platform for that matter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PS3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
God dammit Abyss, don't make me run through the same drat battlefield twice with both groups :sigh:. Made it through with neither group having to kill anyone though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cake Attack posted:

do we know when zesty tales is coming out?

Last I heard was still sometime this summer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I wrapped up things in Grand Chokmah in Tales of the Abyss, now I guess I'll have to do that long-rear end backtrack through Theia Forest and all the way down the continent to St. Bina-

"We are now travelling to St. Binah"

"Go there directly? Yes/No"

:stare:

:stonklol:

Almost every time this message comes up it is actually a trap. If you take the fast option you will invariably miss out on a sidequest or two. So it might as well not exist.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Amppelix posted:

Almost every time this message comes up it is actually a trap. If you take the fast option you will invariably miss out on a sidequest or two. So it might as well not exist.

Is it weird that I kind of miss the Abyss days of sidequests everywhere at every opportunity with nothing telling you they're there? :mad: :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is it weird that I kind of miss the Abyss days of sidequests everywhere at every opportunity with nothing telling you they're there? :mad: :allears:

Yes. Yes it is. :colbert:

Honestly mostly because some of them are obscure as poo poo and flat-out intuitive.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Yes it is. :colbert:

Honestly mostly because some of them are obscure as poo poo and flat-out intuitive.

I guess I more miss the feeling of accidentally stumbling into a sidequest that flashes out some random thing since I used to have all the time in the world to explore when Abyss came out.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Karol annoyed me at first but he was one of the best arcs in the game/series and now hes the best.

That scene where you fight the monster on your own is kinda terrible but also the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaotic Flame posted:

gently caress that noise, I've missed most of them so far because I didnt talk to one NPC out of thirty or forty at just the right time.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

man i really want this. there's so much cool stuff that never leaves japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New tales game announced, Tales of Berseria for PS3 and PS4. Protagonist is a female pirate named Velvet. No pictures but described as looking a bit like Agria.

Game is sailing and pirate themed, main character designer is Inomata. (Graces, Hearts)

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 6, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pirates are cool and Female leads are also cool. That is my initial impressions on this two sentences of information.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

Protagonist is a female pirate named Velvet. No pictures but described as looking a bit like Agria.

:worship:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I am on board for Tales of Pirate Adventure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of arcadia

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Their last female pirate character was pretty bad, so I'm not really convinced yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Their last female pirate character was pretty bad, so I'm not really convinced yet.
chat owned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also im pretty sure velvet will not be 12 years old or have a crush on yuri lowell

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

Game is sailing and pirate themed, main character designer is Inomata. (Graces, Hearts)[/url]

So she'll be 21 but look 12. Great....

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm OK with virtually all of that except for looking like Agria. It will probably be fine. Or it could turn out to be the Suikoden IV of Tales.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
She looks like Milla. Which is about as far from Agria it gets.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-06/bandai-namco-ent-reveals-tales-of-berseria-ps4-ps3-game/.88974

Eddain
May 6, 2007
She looks like a female Yuri.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she doesn't really look like any of them imo

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

gently caress me that's one busy design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

gently caress me that's one busy design.
i don't really see that either, though it's so zoomed out it's hard to tell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait i found a better quality scan. the leg situation is weird but i like the design overall

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

What I'm glad about is that Velvet already uses Rutee clothes, that way they can use another character for the cameo costume.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

oh wait i found a better quality scan. the leg situation is weird but i like the design overall

where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Post the better scans because the ones in the link are bad