Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
and "make out" is a bit too strong of language for judith. i may have exaggerated a touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
soda pop was probably there too though because "if the commander likes this it must obviously be awesome even if it's with that drat dirty traitor!" rita is glaring angrily because she will never receive human affection and her blastia so's are all dead. karol is off getting harangued by his tsundere girlfriend. raven is dead because duke used brave vesperia on him and i played as raven and was bad at the game and died a lot. that was my tales of vesperia fanfiction thank you for reading.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
smgdh at the trolling being done in spite of my warning

E: also Yuri and Judith clearly travelled the world on the Ba'ul Blimp after they saved it

Ba'ul was really cool, I haven't played many Tales games but he's top tier for transportation methods, right?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
meanwhile yuri hyuga from shadow hearts covenant looks on forlornly as he realizes that this jerk yuri lowell who stole every aspect of his act up to and including his name is getting totally laid whereas all he has is a dead girlfriend and that crazy german stalker. then repede gets bored and he and blanca go smoke weed together or something. good end

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheKingofSprings posted:

smgdh at the trolling being done in spite of my warning

gomenasai, i only saw your warning after i finished making my post and i am a snowball

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ba'ul was really cool, I haven't played many Tales games but he's top tier for transportation methods, right?

oh gently caress yeah

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

meanwhile yuri hyuga from shadow hearts covenant looks on forlornly as he realizes that this jerk yuri lowell who stole every aspect of his act up to and including his name is getting totally laid whereas all he has is a dead girlfriend and that crazy german stalker. then repede gets bored and he and blanca go smoke weed together or something. good end

Yuri Lowell manned up and killed his German stalker, this Yuri Hyuga sounds like a punk-rear end who deserved the life he made

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yuri Lowell manned up and killed his German stalker, this Yuri Hyuga sounds like a punk-rear end who deserved the life he made

joke's on lowell, shadow hearts was dead before he ever existed

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Seriously though, Xillia is good and once you get that PS3 (a good system) you should play it. Also the Yakuza games, because Yakuza is the best RPG series on Playstation tbqh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuri hyuga's dog was cooler

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I know this was a ways back but Cheria's entire purpose as a character was pretty much the writers screaming at the audience that the relationship between Asbel and Sophie wasn't romantic. I assume it didn't work which is why when they made the f arc they tripled down on it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the hubert/pascal relation started way before the epilogue thing. hubert was just too retarded to actively ask her out and pascal is entirely oblivious

also i never interpreted sophie/asbel as romantic except maybe when they were both kids. it was obviously meant to resemble a father/daughter relation

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Davincie posted:

also i never interpreted sophie/asbel as romantic except maybe when they were both kids. it was obviously meant to resemble a father/daughter relation

I never meant to imply that anyone in here would ever have read it that way. Honestly it doesn't read as parental either to me, at least prior to the f arc, if only because they're way to close in apparent age for that but the adoption thing was way better than leaving anyone under the bad assumption.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Davincie posted:

the hubert/pascal relation started way before the epilogue thing. hubert was just too retarded to actively ask her out and pascal is entirely oblivious

Yeah, the two actually have a relationship with each other that isn't just "has a crush on the other". You even see them get closer together in the main game. Do you really think early game Hubert would pick through the garbage for trinkets?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Picked up Tales of Hearts R for 14 bucks from that flash sale.

Haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia so I'm really enjoying it, just wish they would have had an English dub as well.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Did Tales of Hearts R sold well?

I read somewhere that if it sold well there would be a chance of getting Tales of Innoncence R translated.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
So I beat the Tales of Symphonia part of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, but how do I make Dawn of the New World recognize the clear data? Couldn't figure it out myself, and didn't find anything on google either.

ToS was the first Tales game ever for me and overall I'd give it maybe 7/10. Fun enough game, but the dialogue writing was really bland and it seemed to drag on a bit too much. I mean how many times you had to save Colette? Favorite character was probably Sheena as she was the only one who seemed to have some character development. The main story was bit more intesting than the dialogue, and the world was interesting enough to explore. Hopefully Dawn of the New World has a bit more interesting cast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zilkin posted:

So I beat the Tales of Symphonia part of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, but how do I make Dawn of the New World recognize the clear data? Couldn't figure it out myself, and didn't find anything on google either.

You do it by not playing Dawn of the New World, because you will be a much much happier person. If you want another Tales title to try, look into Tales of Vesperia, Xillia, or (if you have a 3DS) Tales of the Abyss.

Seriously, Dawn of the New World is a bad game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Go with Abyss next. If you have a 3DS get that one because the load times are so much better.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zilkin posted:

ToS was the first Tales game ever for me and overall I'd give it maybe 7/10. Fun enough game, but the dialogue writing was really bland and it seemed to drag on a bit too much. I mean how many times you had to save Colette? Favorite character was probably Sheena as she was the only one who seemed to have some character development. The main story was bit more intesting than the dialogue, and the world was interesting enough to explore. Hopefully Dawn of the New World has a bit more interesting cast.

There is no save data transfer. The only thing you get for it is like, a few gels and some money- It's pointless. Oh yeah, and a full skit gallery, woohoo.

If you aren't a big ToS fan you shouldn't play the sequel. The plot is about the same level as ToS, there's a few more annoying characters but there's also some cool stuff that happens. But they completely bungled the gameplay. It's a budget game and it shows. The combat is really loose and it's just not that fun. In addition the monster-raising component is extremely poorly explained and is basically mandatory guide-reading if you want good monsters. And you do, because the non-monster party members kinda suck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

There is no save data transfer. The only thing you get for it is like, a few gels and some money- It's pointless. Oh yeah, and a full skit gallery, woohoo.

If you aren't a big ToS fan you shouldn't play the sequel. The plot is about the same level as ToS, there's a few more annoying characters but there's also some cool stuff that happens. But they completely bungled the gameplay. It's a budget game and it shows. The combat is really loose and it's just not that fun. In addition the monster-raising component is extremely poorly explained and is basically mandatory guide-reading if you want good monsters. And you do, because the non-monster party members kinda suck.

Hell you shouldn't play it if you are a big ToS fan, because then it'll just seem even dumber as well as bad. My favourite bit is that the monster capture requires you to stack an elemental grid by repeatedly casting spells or using skills of a single element. And then doesn't give you any elemental skills for several hours of gameplay. All you can do is sit and have Marta throw heals repeatedly, because that's your only elemental move.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I like how "maybe one hour, an hour and a half if you're really slow" has become "several hours of gameplay".

EDIT: Actually wait, I remember this conversation from earlier. Didn't you quit like literally five minutes or so after chapter 2 started?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 29, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I like how "maybe one hour, an hour and a half if you're really slow" has become "several hours of gameplay".

EDIT: Actually wait, I remember this conversation from earlier. Didn't you quit like literally five minutes or so after chapter 2 started?

The simple fact is that it's a slog that shouldn't exist in the first place. The way to introduce your shiny new pokemon gimmick is not by failing to include a means to use it. Having to sit and cast heal slowly five times at most just for a chance you might capture something isn't fun in the slightest. For the record, I got as far as the Underground Ruins in Asgard before dropping it for better games.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh so you quit right before this massive problem of yours would have been addressed. How... appropriate?

I just don't get why, of all of DoNW's problems, you home in on something so utterly insignificant. Do you really like wolves and slimes or something? Cause at that point of the game that's like all you can get, and the game has you auto-recruit a wolf anyways. You don't even see cool new enemy types until the first main dungeon, and at the end of that you explicitly get a skill to make recruiting things easy as pie.

And this is all ignoring the fact that at that point in the game you're essentially being encouraged to use Colette instead of your monsters.

EDIT: Actually I guess you barely played any of the game at all so you really don't have much else to complain about it. Fair enough then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The simple fact is that it's a slog that shouldn't exist in the first place. The way to introduce your shiny new pokemon gimmick is not by failing to include a means to use it. Having to sit and cast heal slowly five times at most just for a chance you might capture something isn't fun in the slightest. For the record, I got as far as the Underground Ruins in Asgard before dropping it for better games.

This is literally not a problem. You can completely ignore the monsters up until this point and even if you do you'll probably have captured something randomly without planning to because the grid lined up luckily. And the free wolf you get is completely serviceable, too.

When you play more you run into the actual problem, which is that monster raising is rear end. The monsters evolve at certain levels, but if you refuse to evolve it might evolve into a different thing at later levels. The only reason to evolve into anything except the Best Form in the first place is to get some good skills the other forms might have, but how the gently caress would you know any of this. Every time you evolve them the drat things reset to level 1 (with ever so slightly better stats) so you have to baby them and then just when they're becoming useful they'll probably evolve again. Oh and how about the part where all of this is necessary to get things that even match up to the human party members you can get. If you just gently caress around with the system here and there you'll get some halfway there monsters who can't really contribute to anything except tanking hits for you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure Dressup Dungeon X had a similar system with a similar gimmick, in that I literally never used it because why bother when you have 8 actual NPCs to choose from including Cress, Mint, and Arche. I don't even know if the monster raising system in that game is the same level of opaque or not, I don't think the catching system was (you had to dress up as a Beastmaster class, or something), but eh? I don't even know why that game had a gimmick like that when it already had the costume gimmick. The base fixed party was three out of four slots already and I remember extremely few stretches where you don't also have Arche or Rondoline.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Man, that monster raising gimmick could be so cool if it were in an actual good Tales game.

Have a PC who's a beastmaster/tamer, with their own moveset that isn't very good, but functional, and has a move similar to thief/steal that could capture monsters with low health (some kind of capture net maybe?). On the artes menu you could then select which captured monster that character would bring into battle, and then the monster would basically be a 5th party member. You wouldn't be able to play as it or use items on it, but the beastmaster would have all sorts of artes that interacted with it like buff pet, revive pet, heal pet, and a bunch of combo moves that would work like pairing up in Xilia where you get on either side of an enemy and perform combos.

The monsters could level up on their own, and maybe get little cosmetic accessories like bows and ribbons :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The main problem with it is that it's a lot of needless fluff and busy work, plus a lot of development time, for 'you have another mildly useful ai chucklefuck running around.'

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dawn of the new world isn't a good game, but the remixes of old Symphonia music is pretty cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dawn of the new world isn't a good game, but it isn't the blight upon humanity people act like it is

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dawn of the New World isn't that great but courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

The main problem with it is that it's a lot of needless fluff and busy work, plus a lot of development time, for 'you have another mildly useful ai chucklefuck running around.'

The problem is Tales doesn't have an iconic bestiary or anything like FF or DQ have done, so it's not like a stolen monster would be anything more than exactly what you say. When's the last time you met someone who really wanted to take home a Wooly Boar or a Peep or Axebeak or, I don't know, a Bee? It's not even like monsters that were remotely important in Phantasia like the Giant Boar or Basilisk have ever been seen again. I guess there's... Brutal? Kind of? Wasn't it introduced in Abyss?

Hell, Tales has the spirits, which are as close to iconic as it has, and even then Undine and Gnome can't decide what they want to be from game to game (Symphonia's spirits don't even look like they do in Phantasia, even though they are the same spirits). There have been two entirely separate light spirits, when there was one at all. Rebirth, Graces, and Zestiria decided to reinvent them entirely.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing in itself, but Tales is, by choice or not, not great at hooking people with tradition, and least of all with the monsters.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Dawn of the New World isn't that great but courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

:suicide101:TRIGGER WARNING:suicide101:

I played and beat DotNW but it's definitely one of the worst Tales games (or jRPG in general, tied with maybe Star Ocean The Last Hope) I've ever played. The story doesn't really make any sense, the protagonists are aggravating as hell, and there's a bunch of reused locations. I think the moment I first knew the game was gonna suck was when I slept at an inn and that weird jingle played. And that forced tutorial at the beginning was really lovely too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The problem is Tales doesn't have an iconic bestiary or anything like FF or DQ have done, so it's not like a stolen monster would be anything more than exactly what you say. When's the last time you met someone who really wanted to take home a Wooly Boar or a Peep or Axebeak or, I don't know, a Bee? It's not even like monsters that were remotely important in Phantasia like the Giant Boar or Basilisk have ever been seen again. I guess there's... Brutal? Kind of? Wasn't it introduced in Abyss?
gentlemen

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Caphi posted:

The problem is Tales doesn't have an iconic bestiary or anything like FF or DQ have done

They must think their designs are pretty loving iconic since they've been using the same monster templates for like 20 games now.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
i want to take home gentlemen and sword dancers

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Dawn of the New World was alright when it first came out, but there isn't much reason to play it these days since there are many other Tales games that are easily obtainable on the PS3. Of course, you already own it, so you might as well at least try it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm playing DotNW right now just because it came in Chronicles, and Tenebrae really carries that game on his back.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
if you want a challenge try using cameo characters in your final party instead of a monster, since they get level-capped at 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The game is so ridiculously easy to break you can still win easily on even the hardest difficulty with a 3-man team of cameo characters (and Emil/Marta standing off to the side since for some godforsaken reason one has to be in the party).

Just gotta keep shoving gels down Lloyd's throat.