Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

ImpAtom posted:

Dirge of Cerberus sold more than most games on the market. Quality does not = sales.

However sales can at times indicate that the more vocal reception doesn't actually reflect the feelings of the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seraphna posted:

However sales can at times indicate that the more vocal reception doesn't actually reflect the feelings of the audience.

While that is true it's a bit more complex. Most games do the bulk of their sales in the first weeks so it's hard for bad word of mouth to really hurt the sales of a game and not its sequel. There are also a lot of factors that can play into it. That said, FFXIII apparently continues to do well with ports despite bad word of mouth so to some degree the bad word-of-mouth is probably exaggerated to some degree or it's finding an audience who isn't being openly vocal about it.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Decus posted:

It is. They've already confirmed this in a press release--it's locked 30fps.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By 'freeze framerate' I meant "It becomes unplayable and you can barely get 5FPS in combat".

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

ImpAtom posted:

While that is true it's a bit more complex. Most games do the bulk of their sales in the first weeks so it's hard for bad word of mouth to really hurt the sales of a game and not its sequel. There are also a lot of factors that can play into it. That said, FFXIII apparently continues to do well with ports despite bad word of mouth so to some degree the bad word-of-mouth is probably exaggerated to some degree or it's finding an audience who isn't being openly vocal about it.

Pretty much. FF13's big thing I've noticed is the sales are actually comparable to the first few weeks, it continues to sell pretty steadily despite the apparent hate. I personally picked it up on Day 1, I ignored the talks about it and played it on my own. Never found a lot of the complaints really that consistent with what I actually played, even though there's some very valid concerns like just how outright they were with the linearity of the game and how they basically removed any idea of a world map in favor of exposition. I took it as a new way to play, it didn't bug me as much as others, but I do see the merit behind those complaints. That being said... it has a pretty fun battle system, which is what I think saves it with a lot of the non-vocal fanbase. At the end of the day, most gamers just care about whether or not they're having fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

That said, FFXIII apparently continues to do well with ports despite bad word of mouth so to some degree the bad word-of-mouth is probably exaggerated to some degree or it's finding an audience who isn't being openly vocal about it.

You mean on steam? It's simply lack of competition. For example, if Madden went crazy and said "We're making next year's game for steam!" and it's the shittiest port imaginable, it will still do gangbusters. Look at NBA 2k16. Garbage port with bugs and crashes that is impossible not to figure out in Q+A unless they just don't give a gently caress, and it's still a top seller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

You mean on steam? It's simply lack of competition. For example, if Madden went crazy and said "We're making next year's game for steam!" and it's the shittiest port imaginable, it will still do gangbusters. Look at NBA 2k16. Garbage port with bugs and crashes that is impossible not to figure out in Q+A unless they just don't give a gently caress, and it's still a top seller.

No, I mean in general. I'm sure on steam the lack of competition helps though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, what ports are you talking about? I don't recall another port of FF13 outside of...that phone streaming service in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Wait, what ports are you talking about? I don't recall another port of FF13 outside of...that phone streaming service in Japan.

It did reasonably well with its greatest hits/international re-release in Japan and apparently is one of the more successful rentals on PSNow for how much PSNow sucks. The steam one is the most significant but "lack of competition is the only reason it does well" seems a stretch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It did reasonably well with its greatest hits/international re-release in Japan and apparently is one of the more successful rentals on PSNow for how much PSNow sucks. The steam one is the most significant but "lack of competition is the only reason it does well" seems a stretch.

Keep in mind FFX13-2 was also a top-chart seller, unless you're also saying that was a hit as well in re-release form (I had no idea they did a re-release).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Keep in mind FFX13-2 was also a top-chart seller, unless you're also saying that was a hit as well in re-release form (I had no idea they did a re-release).

I was mostly talking about FFXIII in this case. FFXIII-2's sales in general are going to be lower no matter what because they always are. No FF sequel or spinoff has had remotely comparable numbers

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

How much cheaper? Greenmangaming has it for about 38.50.

huh i looked it up since i had assumed steam would be more expensive because games are usually a couple bucks extra there to account for exchange rate while PSN just charges the same, but it's $55 on Steam and $70 on PSN. Makes my decision easier.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If you have a local friend you trust you can game-share anything on PSN. I would consider getting Zestiria on PC but I have no idea how well they're gonna port it, so I'll just stick to PS4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you don't like the port, just refund it as long as you have sub 2 hours.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Eddain posted:

If you have a local friend you trust you can game-share anything on PSN. I would consider getting Zestiria on PC but I have no idea how well they're gonna port it, so I'll just stick to PS4.

Both PS4 and PC are ports though.

Anyway, I am midly confused on how the Free DLC works for the Steam version- do we need to activate something by registering somewhere else, or do they come automatically, or what?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

They come automatically. People who preordered already have Symphonia in their libraries as well.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I believe it's only through steam though. If you pre-purchase/order from GMG or anywhere else you won't receive any of the bonuses. Ever, most likely, since the only tales of game that turned the bonuses into purchasable DLC is Hearts R. But yeah, as long as you've ordered through steam symphonia will be in your library and internally it'll be giving you the zestiria package with all the other stuff.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the jrpg drought is real when you see how well the ff13s sell and look at how horribly they run

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

baram. posted:

the jrpg drought is real when you see how well the ff13s sell and look at how horribly they run

Runs like a beauty on my machines.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hate to derail(?) what was going on but what's the general thought on Zestaria? Haven't gotten a chance to play a Tales game so was planning on picking it up and a few months ago when I looked around heard generally mediocre things about it. Now that it releases next week literally all I've heard is "It's garbage, camera is awful, combat is limited and it's just not worth looking at."

Any specifics as to why it's bad outside that? I'm not really starved for RPGS at the moment but kind of a shame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hate to derail(?) what was going on but what's the general thought on Zestaria? Haven't gotten a chance to play a Tales game so was planning on picking it up and a few months ago when I looked around heard generally mediocre things about it. Now that it releases next week literally all I've heard is "It's garbage, camera is awful, combat is limited and it's just not worth looking at."

Any specifics as to why it's bad outside that? I'm not really starved for RPGS at the moment but kind of a shame.

Zesteria is, based off what I've heard, a reasonably good but not great game that is getting a lot of negative feedback for a percieved bait-and-switch on one of the plot characters. I played a bit of it and the camera isn't great but it seems like it'll be a firmly b-grade Tales game. Not Symphonia 2/Legendia tier but not one of the best games either.

The thing to understand is that Tales fans are kind of crazy-negative. Every Tales game since Vesperia has had a bunch of people talking about how they're terrible. I heard it about Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Hearts R each. Zesteria could be utterly utterly poo poo but odds are a lot better it's just average and Tales fans are being Tales fans.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Every time Caphi posts about Zestiria all I take away from it is thinking the game sounds ridiculously bad and I'll buy something else instead.

edit: Like I read the stuff and think "oh okay I don't like the sound of that stuff I guess I won't buy it" not that someone's explicitly trashing it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They took away the vocals for the opening, no buy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Every time Caphi posts about Zestiria all I take away from it is thinking the game sounds ridiculously bad and I'll buy something else instead.

edit: Like I read the stuff and think "oh okay I don't like the sound of that stuff I guess I won't buy it" not that someone's explicitly trashing it.

I totally respect Caphi's opinions but I liked Hearts R and Xillia a lot more than they did so I'm not quite ready to write it off based on that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I haven't said anything for ages. :(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Here is a real effortpost:

I liked Hearts quite a lot. I haven't played Hearts R. The only thing I've ever said about Hearts R is about the translation, and I think most of that has been about Kohaku.

I'm mostly cool on Xillia. The main thing I dislike about it is the environments, I think, and obviously I have complicated emotions about Milla Maxwell. It's Xillia 2 I have issues with, and I haven't called that game utter trash, I just didn't personally agree with some of its ideas.

I've endeavored not to call Zestiria trash to its face, either. I don't care about review scores, so I've tried my best to write what I actually care about in reviews, which are what the game does specifically and what I thought about how they did it. I have every faith that ruta and Mr. Fortitude have done the same. If one of us says that the character arcs or the battle interface or whatever are weak and that doesn't sound good to you, take it as it is. If you don't care, please honestly have fun. I don't want anyone to say Caphi gave Zestiria a 2/10 it's clearly poo poo, or anything. I'm not here to stop people from playing Tales of Zestiria.

Hell, my issues are writing-based, so I want more people to come back and discuss it. I certainly want to know how the translation handles a few things. Despite my opinions on Zestiria itself I had fun discussing it with a lot of people, and that includes ruta, in case anyone still had the idea that I thought they were full of poo poo or anything.

p.s. I read the Amazon reviews before my copy came in and still decided I needed to see it for myself, and I did, and maybe this is me being full of poo poo but right now I'm good with having seen it for myself. I don't begrudge anyone that same decision whether they got it from me or anywhere else. Excels, please enjoy Tales of Zestiria tia.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

the gently caress is this bullshit

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Caphi posted:

I haven't said anything for ages. :(

Yeah, it was back months ago when everyone was arguing with Excels for some reason and people were posting about like mechanics and stuff and I was like "this doesn't sound very fun or what I want out of a Tales game" so I just kind of stopped paying attention to Zestiria.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tae posted:

PC version has dual audio so I imagine the opening will retain its vocals that way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

PC version has dual audio so I imagine the opening will retain its vocals that way.

That's hilariously brilliant for mitigating reverse importing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If not someone better patch that poo poo in

na na nanana na

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Zesteria is, based off what I've heard, a reasonably good but not great game that is getting a lot of negative feedback for a percieved bait-and-switch on one of the plot characters. I played a bit of it and the camera isn't great but it seems like it'll be a firmly b-grade Tales game. Not Symphonia 2/Legendia tier but not one of the best games either.

The thing to understand is that Tales fans are kind of crazy-negative. Every Tales game since Vesperia has had a bunch of people talking about how they're terrible. I heard it about Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Hearts R each. Zesteria could be utterly utterly poo poo but odds are a lot better it's just average and Tales fans are being Tales fans.

It kinda has to do with every/ or nearly every Tales game having some really big parts that drag the game down! Vesperia had it's third act, Symphonia's story was pretty hard to take seriously once the racism got in [personally, I'm not too hot on the characters either despite them being fun to play as mostly.], most people couldn't stand Luke enough to actually see his character progression, Asbel was far too relenting about things for people's tastes, etc etc. Not to say that they're all overhyped and belong in the trash or anything but that's the nature of the beast at this point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Caphi posted:

I have complicated emotions about Milla Maxwell

milla owns. best tales protagonist

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The songs at the beginning of tales games are always bad and I skip the intros.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'll buy Tales on steam when they have 4 player co-op where other players don't have to sit through cutscenes

This is the thing I want to see from Tales

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'll buy Tales on steam when they have 4 player co-op where other players don't have to sit through cutscenes

This is the thing I want to see from Tales

online co-op would be so legit for tales

KoB
May 1, 2009

Overbite posted:

I really like Vesperia's :shobon:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will probably enjoy Zesteria because the last game I played was Abyss and don't have fatigue from the franchise.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Song 4 u is the best part about Tales of Xillia 2.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RareAcumen posted:

It kinda has to do with every/ or nearly every Tales game having some really big parts that drag the game down! Vesperia had it's third act, Symphonia's story was pretty hard to take seriously once the racism got in [personally, I'm not too hot on the characters either despite them being fun to play as mostly.], most people couldn't stand Luke enough to actually see his character progression, Asbel was far too relenting about things for people's tastes, etc etc. Not to say that they're all overhyped and belong in the trash or anything but that's the nature of the beast at this point.

Zestiria has more of these complaints across the board than usual, is the issue. Some people say the plot/characters are bad. Some people say the combat is opaque, or something about the framerate. Or the exploration sucks, or the setting is tissue-thin, or equipment crafting is insane. Or maybe some combination. And I don't think anyone really likes any of the above, it only goes from "trash" to "decent" depending on which things you really care about. The only thing anyone agrees is really good about the game is the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Overbite posted:

ima datte sonna ni