Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

I'm perfectly happy with keeping my Gamecube copy of Symphonia to play on Dolphin, but I think if I ever feel like replaying it I would more likely play the PS3 version because it has voiced skits. If someone were to make a Symphonia GCN Undub I'd gladly ditch it but to me 60 fps is orders of magnitude less important than not having to watch character portraits silently flap their gums for several minutes. I'm aware that there is a Symphonia Undub of some nature floating around but IIRC it only changes the voices during cutscenes and battles, and doesn't add anything back for the skits.

It... does? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It does if you turn the voices to Japanese, yes. The ship already sailed with the English skits, so it's not surprising they never did them.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah. I think it's the same for the PC version, but won't test it for a while. Hopefully it will be less buggy by then.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, it's the same deal on the PC. I seem to be one of the lucky few that has encountered no real hitches, since the game seems to play almost perfectly for me. There are a few things involving voices that take an extra second (or in skits' cases, a couple seconds) to load, but I was having similar problems with Dragon's Dogma, so I'm not sure if that's the game, or my computer. When it happens during cutscenes though, it's typically the very first voiced line that's slightly delayed, and then everything else is fine.

Perhaps the PC port should be called Tales of Symphonia: The Arkham Knight.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Only thing that would tempt me to getting the PC port would be if there was some way to enable the graphical filter of the GC edition. I understand the PS3 version's the more 'complete' port available right now, but I find it looks flat compared to the original.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Different devs ported it seems to be the obvious answer. The game only came to steam in the first place as a preorder bonus so I'm not that surprised that they wouldn't really care about it.

They're charging money for it so they really should.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If some random Z-team did the port, they probably assumed any Symphonia would be well-received Symphonia. Or maybe they were never really that confident in Zestiria on Steam.

What baffles me is the apparently newly-introduced typos and mistranslations in the menus, though. Why would you even need to change any of the existing text in any way?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For whoever cares, ToS PC's container format is still the same one from Xillia, with individual files still being TLZC compressed. Guess there's no reason to change it, but this is nice as you can easily repack stuff if you wanted. All the English and international assets are in .\P12E\Data\TOS_Server\Archive\Release\R01\WIN\TLFILE.TLDAT, while localized assets for non-English European languages are in the R02-R05 folders.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So can you still change character names or is there going to be a mod to change all the text back to Genius and Refill?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you couldn't change character names in the US releases of symphonia anyway

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
Durante released a fix for the resolution.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=824

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It took Durante a whole 23 minutes to unlock resolutions for the engine and videos.

Still an early release with less than 3 hours of development and testing, but it's a start.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Now all he has to do is fix the FPS.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Bought Graces F, Xillia 2, and Symphonia bundle from the Bamco sale. $21 for all those is a pretty good deal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of, Zestria is supposed to be be a PS3 game originally, right? So it doesn't have a ton of playability issues compared to the PS4 version, right.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Only thing that would tempt me to getting the PC port would be if there was some way to enable the graphical filter of the GC edition. I understand the PS3 version's the more 'complete' port available right now, but I find it looks flat compared to the original.

Maybe Durante can fix this for us too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of, Zestria is supposed to be be a PS3 game originally, right? So it doesn't have a ton of playability issues compared to the PS4 version, right.

It's completely fine on PS3, except for nasty framedrops while a battle is loading "instantly" (I have the disc version so this might differ on digital). Otherwise runs smooth and looks good.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I remember a significant amount of slowdown on my Japanese PS3 version of Zesty, but maybe they worked on that in the localization.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Zestiria has some kind of trick where it drops frames on specific objects in specific instances for reasons known only to itself. I'm pretty sure monsters that were very far away chugged even if Sorey could move around, and interesting things happen when you Forest Maimer a large enough group. Which most people probably did constantly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It still does the 'distant enemies only use 1/3 of their animation frames' thing even on the PS4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Maybe Durante can fix this for us too

I'd have figured some kind of SweetFX configuration might end up doing the trick. I mean, the graphical filter of the GC version is post processing, right?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Not to take away from Zestiria and BadPort Symphonia chat, but I just recently got a PS Vita and Hearts R, which I've been playing at work. I'm about 5 hours in, just fought Chalcedony. Is it just me or is this a really loving good Tales game? I'm even getting to tolerate the non-English voice track for the game, which initially irked me even though I understood that doing a complete vocal localization was likely out of Bamco's budget.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no i liked it a lot too, it has a likeable cast, is pretty funny and has decent combat. the only bad parts are the insane backtracking if you are a completionist, the amount of random encounters and (this is debatable, i generally liked the additions) how obvious the translation is in adding way more than whats being said

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hearts R is my favourite of the Tales games I've finished in recent memory (so, uh, that and Zesteria I guess)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I loved what I've played of the "hunting for Kohaku's emotions" part of the game but I am told that isn't remotely all of it and the rest isn't as good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely liked that part of the game the most, the first third/half where you're rebuilding her personality. It had a very simple adventuring charm to it. Once they introduced Creed it just became more and more laborious to continue. It's still a pretty solid game but my enthusiasm waned a lot by the end. I'd probably put it on the same basic level of Graces I guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tales of Hearts was a nice game about friendship.

Innocently traveling the globe helping people in need with their emotional problems was a pretty good bit. I'm not going to defend Creed as one of the greats but I still kind of like the twist and ultimately the only way he could have been more important to Shing's whole thing is if you straight up Soma Linked him at the end instead of the battle in Gardenia's Spiria and all that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I found myself comparing the game to its original DS version too much, and didn't get as much enjoyment out of Hearts R as I probably should have. I also didn't really like what they do with Kohaku's emotions, since you go a large chunk of the game without her even really being a character. Her development felt really artificial, since she's literally lacking emotions.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think the story with Amber's emotions is that both she and Shing spin their wheels trying to avoid dealing with each other while also sticking to each other out of shame, until the whole thing with Kunzite, when they both have to confront each other and reset their relationship to one that isn't based on weird mutual guilt complexes. The gimmick is that it's all told from Shing's perspective, so it looks like just "boy wants to help girl/wants girl to like him" until you get both sides of the story, which reorients the whole thing around both of them. There is a lot up until then where Amber really is just this goal they're carrying around, and Shing's not that great for that bit either as a result.

The main part I didn't like was everything up until Trust because the versions of Amber with no Spirunes or only Fear and/or Suspicion are all really one-note in the worst possible way. Not that she's a great character after Trust, but she's less bad.

Y'all have made me nostalgic for Hearts so here are some other odd thoughts I had:
  • The Trust/Suspicion thing was kind of cute but doesn't make sense in retrospect when you also have Joy/Sorrow, Courage/Fear, and Anger/Compassion.
  • Shing pocketing Anger because he was afraid is both the creepiest thing he ever does and actually kind of a clever use of the whole Spirune conceit. Also Amber immediately turns it back on him afterwards by taking responsibility for her own poo poo. I feel like that helps somehow.
  • I kind of get why they made the last one Love but I think Courage is a really good GET sequence, so they could have mixed it up with the whole Creed intro instead of blowing it on a chump like Ameth. It'd make her a load for longer but she gets kidnapped anyway. (What's the Tales score on kidnapped heroines again?)
  • I love how they gave Joy to some random monster because no one could come up with a scenario involving too much happiness, and they managed to write one for Courage. Was that sandworm happy?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 5, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Hearts R is okay. It doesn't have the best cast but none of them are hateable. The battle system is pretty bare-bones but the countering system is at least a nice distraction. Wish it was the DS version but that'll never get localized at this point I guess.

Momomo posted:

I found myself comparing the game to its original DS version too much, and didn't get as much enjoyment out of Hearts R as I probably should have.

If you played the DS version, the script was also changed in certain key scenes. It doesn't change anything, but it definitely shows in Shing's reformation that the original script was way more interesting, IMO.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Graces F

Between these, which is the one to play to jump back into Tales games? I haven't played one since Symphonia on Gamecube, which I loved.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'd say xillia.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kirios posted:

Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Graces F

Between these, which is the one to play to jump back into Tales games? I haven't played one since Symphonia on Gamecube, which I loved.

I'd probably give the vote to Xillia, then immediately followed by Xillia 2, which is real good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would also go with Xillia.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Excellent, you guys swayed me to go ahead and pick up Xillia 2 while it was on sale. I'll make a priority to dive into Xillia after I move, cheers everyone.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"Which one will best catch me up on Tales" is an odd question since Tales is so different from game to game and many of your list are already very different from each other and from the games before and after.

Xillia will be the most familiar to you, I suspect, short of actually replaying Symphonia, but so might Hearts R. All else being equal, I'd say Xillia, but that's just me. I wouldn't start with X2 since it is an Xillia sequel.

Graces' gameplay is completely different but in a good way, and it'll probably prepare you for the next games as well as anything, since Zestiria is vaguely Graces-shaped and Berseria looks like another total redesign.

Personally, I like Graces the most.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
But then you have to deal with Graces story. Xillia at it's worst feels rushed whilst Graces is almost painful to deal with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

graces's plot has some dumb moments but it also has at least one arc that sort of works, and the comedy is great. i wouldn't really call it painful, just bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Counterpoint: Graces' plot being simplistic in structure and focused on the main character's inner turmoil to the exclusion of the fun characters are also reasons it's a good training run for Zestiria.

In seriousness, I have the same emotions about Graces as I have about Hearts. It's cute and fun and I like the children in it (also the combat is cool). We're on our fourth dark-and-serious Tales game in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Graces barely pretended to have a plot, while Xillia crashed and burned. I would say go for Graces.

In terms of recapturing the Symphonia feel, I would still say Graces. Too many of these Tales games have the caveat of "It's really good until-" and Graces does not have that. It feels complete and is good the whole time.