Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're gonna play Phantasia at some point I recommend the PSX translation patch that came out however many years ago. The game still shows its age obviously but I enjoyed it just fine when I played it back in...2009? 2008? God this thread is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Caphi posted:

Still Reala, Claire, Estelle, and Sophie? Add Meredy here, too. And actually Rutee, now I think of it. It feels like fewer heroes are personally connected to the villains because I think more of them are random kids that got suckered into an adventure. The big plotty ones are Luke, Shing, and Ludger. (Sorey... the whole "you were there back then" reveal never worked for me, if it's anyone it feels like it ought to be Lailah.)
The point, I thought, was that until act 3, it's Milla the villains are talking to, they don't give a poo poo about Jude. While in all of those, villains actually talk more to the protagonist.

Hell, even "Estelle" and "Sophie", who have technically the plot about them, also have, right from the start, the villains being all about Yuri and Abel. Well, at least in Graces Richard sort of pretend to care about Sophie. A tiny bit.

Caphi posted:

It's actually a little worrying that Tales seems to be having a bad habit of losing track of its interesting gimmicks partway through. Zestiria raises a whole bunch of stuff in Hyland and then drops it in Rolance - a big one is all the "choices" that kept popping up right until the bridge. And I do feel that Graces was more interesting when Asbel was trying to figure out what to do with himself, before the coronation I think, despite all the words I've written defending Graces' whole shtick. I still think it's cute, of course, but way back when I first played Graces, I thought it was actually quite interesting when he was trying to figure out what to do with his territory, and I was disappointed when Hubert kicked him out. We were just talking about the Spirune quest in Hearts (though at least it ends rather than getting replaced). And there is, of course, Vesperia.
Yeah, I actually liked Graces until Abel got his dream of being a wandering Knight without any real responsibilities.

It's interesting because I loved that part in Zestiria- but I felt they actually sold that in Zestiria that was the whole point of the themes, while in Graces it was basically the protagonist betraying everyone in order to be a hero (I hate heroes).

quote:

I thought Zestiria was pretty depressing. A majority of things that happen in the game, main or side, either end badly or with your hands tied. It's especially odd because it's supposed to be "an RPG where zest (passion) lights up the world," but it seems more like grim, considered determination with a side of "sometimes you can't do poo poo and you have to accept that."
Maybe this is why it worked for me: it doesn't romanticize the whole "being a wandering knight".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The first chunk of Graces did its best to poo poo all over Asbel for wanting to "protect everyone" and not really caring about anything else, but then they drop the ball early on (his big scene with Cheria is probably the turning point) and never go back. It was pretty disappointing, too, since I loved annoyed, jaded Cheria.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

If you're gonna play Phantasia at some point I recommend the PSX translation patch that came out however many years ago. The game still shows its age obviously but I enjoyed it just fine when I played it back in...2009? 2008? God this thread is old.

I actually highly recommend playing Phantasia PSX. It was made after Destiny and it shows; the only real "old Tales" problem it has is that the spells are still of the screen-freezing variety, and that Cless is still the only real playable character. But he now has a lot of moves and some actual combos to string together, too. It's almost, but not quite, as fun to play as Eternia is.

If you are going to play it, I recommend going for this more recently released fan translation: http://www.tales-cless.org/?page=tales

The older one is perfectly fine but this one is almost of ridiculously high quality. It has things like an option for whether you want names to be just transliterated from japanese (So you get Majinken. I love this option because of how long and ridiculous the move names get in japanese sometimes so your move list gets to be an incomprehensible string of syllables before long) or just use the names the rest of series uses, to please literally everyone, weirdo purists included. Or how about the part where it adds the item that lets you use manual controls from the beginning of the game instead of having you find it tucked away somewhere?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Amppelix posted:

The older one is perfectly fine but this one is almost of ridiculously high quality. It has things like an option for whether you want names to be just transliterated from japanese (So you get Majinken. I love this option because of how long and ridiculous the move names get in japanese sometimes so your move list gets to be an incomprehensible string of syllables before long) or just use the names the rest of series uses, to please literally everyone, weirdo purists included. Or how about the part where it adds the item that lets you use manual controls from the beginning of the game instead of having you find it tucked away somewhere?

Cress actually has the most sensible Arcane Arte names in the series! :eng101:

Cress has 18 Arcane Artes. All of them, without exception, require you to master and combine two Base Artes, one short-range and one long-range from the original SFC.

Most of them, the ones that aren't Spacetime artes, fill out a grid between four base Short artes (Tiger Blade, Swallow Dance, Sword Rain: Alpha, and Light Spear) and four base Long artes (Demon Fang, L. Tiger Blade, Rising Phoenix, and Beast). They are named by bolting the Long-range arte's two-kanji prefix (majin, shuusou, houou, or shishi) onto the Short-ranged arte's three-kanji base (hienkyaku, senretsuha, senkuuha), except for the Tiger Blade ones where part of the base keeps changing for some reason and Houou Hienkyaku which sounds stupid. The prefix is always constant.

I'm almost sure five-kanji Arcane Artes can still, without exception, be read in a 2-3 pattern to this day, even when they don't do the "combination" design (which hasn't been a constant since the original Destiny).

p.s. None of this is to say I want to have to grind artes to unlock other artes again, Vesperia.

p.p.s. Five kanji isn't long anymore. I think Hearts R's and Xillia 2's dual Mystic Artes get up to 7, not even counting Wild Combination.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 6, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what about 震天裂空斬光旋風滅砕神罰割殺撃

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

what about 震天裂空斬光旋風滅砕神罰割殺撃

It's a very good gag, and p.s. I appreciate you using the non-poo poo version.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i tried to use chrome's translate to english function

chopper crews are split air cyclone cut off Sui kill God punished clicks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i tried to use chrome's translate to english function

chopper crews are split air cyclone cut off Sui kill God punished clicks
it's malik's divine sundering etc. it's in destiny 2 too, but welp.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

Sword Rain: Alpha

You just reminded how much I hate this translation. Ever since Symphonia used Akisazame as part of one of the arte trees instead of the base arte, which made the translation team name it as a version of Chirisazame instead of the other way around, all the rest of the games have stuck to it even though the base plain "Sword Rain" usually doesn't actually exist. Like for example, Guy learning Sword Rain: Alpha out of the blue when nothing else related to swords or rain is ever mentioned in the game is so dumb looking. I am very thankful that Zestiria finally got rid of it and Sorey's Akisazame is just called Sword Rain.

While we're on the topic of dumb translations that recently got fixed, Light Spear was another one that has had nothing to do with its original translation for a while now. When playing Symphonia (at age 13 in a non-english speaking country) originally I always wondered if I had maybe just missed some meaning of the words because it didn't seem to make sense at all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Amppelix posted:

You just reminded how much I hate this translation. Ever since Symphonia used Akisazame as part of one of the arte trees instead of the base arte, which made the translation team name it as a version of Chirisazame instead of the other way around, all the rest of the games have stuck to it even though the base plain "Sword Rain" usually doesn't actually exist. Like for example, Guy learning Sword Rain: Alpha out of the blue when nothing else related to swords or rain is ever mentioned in the game is so dumb looking. I am very thankful that Zestiria finally got rid of it and Sorey's Akisazame is just called Sword Rain.

While we're on the topic of dumb translations that recently got fixed, Light Spear was another one that has had nothing to do with its original translation for a while now. When playing Symphonia (at age 13 in a non-english speaking country) originally I always wondered if I had maybe just missed some meaning of the words because it didn't seem to make sense at all.

This is all highly correct except that it started in Eternia, which invented the idea of arte chains (I believe Symphonia expanded them into trees), and named them "Swarm" and "Neo Swarm".

It really comes down to Chirisazame being inserted under the original for god knows what reason. Tiger Blade doesn't have to deal with this poo poo.

I think I asked about Sorey's for this exact reason and I heard that the voice clip includes the "Alpha."

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Thirteen year old me thought that Sword Rain: Alpha was a bitchin' name for Lloyd's poke poo poo a lot technique and 23 year old me is inclined to agree

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Characters having the alpha version and not the original can just be explained by them preferring the more advanced one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like the MvC3 Chun Li the best. The super exaggerated SF4 version, not so much.

edit: Wow, wrong tab

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I like the MvC3 Chun Li the best. The super exaggerated SF4 version, not so much.
a girl who fought with chun-li kicks would be a good party member for a tales game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

a girl who fought with chun-li kicks would be a good party member for a tales game.

You already got Amber.

Anyway Sword Rain, maybe if you switched Sword Rain with Alpha (the "alpha" now means prototype or whatever), and then you'd have to rename whatever-shigure to something that isn't Sword Rain, and then maybe we, as a nation, would have been spared "Time Disintegration."

And then Leia only has the "Alpha" version and you have to deal with that and the fact that she doesn't use a sword and you just assumed, like with Triple Kick, that no one would ever seriously use the move without a sword. You can't win, but really, you could have just stuck with something like "Autumn Flurry" to begin with and avoided this whole problem.

To be fair, the modern "Sword Rain" is more similar to Cress' original than "Alpha" is, since it didn't have the final uppercut. And neither do Sorey's or Richard's, if I remember right.

Next let's do "Lightning Tiger Blade".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sword Rain has always had a final, rising attack. Even Cress' ends in a powerful upward thrust which lifts the enemy. From there it's just bounced back and forth in severity, with Lloyd's probably being the most ridiculous. Sorey also ends his (really wimpy Sword Rain, by the way) in a slash upwards. Although now that I think about, Richard might actually lack one.

There's a really easy solution to the Staff Rain problem, by the way. Let's go back to the Eternia well and call it Swarm. That's a fine attack name, descriptive and without mentioning a weapon! You cold probably add something to it though, it's a little plain.

Endorph posted:

Regal.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Cress' ends in a high thrust but not the distinctive jumping uppercut, is all.

e: If anyone is extremely curious here's a montage up through the PS2, Sword Rain starts at 3:36 (has both versions) (also I just like these videos and also watch this one for the music choices).

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i still like time disintegration and prefer it to sword rain.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gal

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

also i still like time disintegration and prefer it to sword rain.

Are they supposed to be the same attack or something? They were only vaguely similar.

Also, I don't see the problem with changing the name to Staff Rain. She learned the same Sword Rain technique but is obviously not using a sword. Just because they (presumably) used the same name as all the others in Japanese, doesn't mean they have to strictly stand by it in English. I find it more charming when each character has a slightly different thing going.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

^^

tbh by your conversations i like the english arte names way more than the jp ones. yeah you lose out on some cute references but the english ones just have more personality.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I consider it also "personality" that Sorey has an elemental Dragon Swarm.

It's not like "Staff Rain" is outrageously horrible but, like, it didn't have to be this way.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Caphi posted:

I very much like Destiny PS2 (is that what you mean by Destiny R, it's not called that or anything). I think the PS2 one has a more anime script (e.g. I guess Stan is more of a dumb innocent hero instead of a '90s RPG rear end in a top hat, and they made Leon more sad, etc.) but it's been way way too long since I played the original. As a Tales game I find the PS2 one top notch, though. Also I don't think the original has skits or anything? The new one has better systems in basically every regard.

Definite Strikes are magical. Graces needed them. I think Zestiria could have used them too, but in Graces they would have replaced Soul Orbs, which in some ways symbolizes everything I've ever wanted for in Graces.

Not for the first time do I wish that we had gotten Destiny PS2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just got through the trial of water in zestria. might be the worst/most annoying dungeon i've played in a long time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are alisha's story and alisha's conviction the same thing? cause i got conviction from that promotion but i still see story for sale on the store

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

are alisha's story and alisha's conviction the same thing? cause i got conviction from that promotion but i still see story for sale on the store
they're the same thing. for some reason the psn store calls it 'conviction' and steam calls it 'story'

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait a loving minute, how do they think Berseria's camera control is supposed to work in multiplayer?

(Yeah, I only just realized this. That's how I play Tales.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

Wait a loving minute, how do they think Berseria's camera control is supposed to work in multiplayer?

Poorly.

And speaking of camera, have any of you seen 4-player footage of Zestiria, by the way? You think the camera's bad on your own, but hoo boy.

Check out the battle that happens at 1:25 of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FVAzzaVDdk&t=85s

Starts off looking ok, but very quickly devolves into a complete clusterfuck where only Sorey is visible on screen for a while, then the camera gets stuck spazzing between a wall and an enemy, then Rose disappears behind a corner where she gets destroyed by an equally offscreen enemy, and she can't exit because the player has no idea what directions to even press. And this is just a random battle in not particularly tight quarters. I have no idea how these people can even stand playing the game like this.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've seen Zestiria freak out just with two controllers, it was one of the early videos posted here... poo poo, it must have been about a year ago now. It's not too surprising that four is insane.

I think the one where the camera suddenly goes a mile away also kind of shows off how dumb Zestiria's area design can get to cheaply accommodate the RMBS. The bird's eye view makes it obvious how big and empty the chamber is.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 8, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or you get something like Zaveid's third fight where if you have the camera zoomed out all the way you literally can't see the battlefield because of the trees.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
"Looks like you can put lipstick on a pig"

Jesus Christ, Mikleo. :stare:

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

Either the game won't support multiplayer or it technically will but the camera won't account for it at all. Either way, multiplayer is basically dead forever now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just bought a few of these games in the PS sale. I'm just wondering if anyone has played through the whole series?

Are these like Zelda/FF games in that it doesn't matter where I start? Is there any running storyline? Where should I start if it doesn't matter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sequels have 2 in the title, all the others aren't connected whatsoever besides some cameos.

there's no definitive 'best one.' hearts r is light and fun, xillia is a good all-around package, graces has great combat but a slow start and a pretty terrible plot.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waltzing Along posted:

I just bought a few of these games in the PS sale. I'm just wondering if anyone has played through the whole series?

Are these like Zelda/FF games in that it doesn't matter where I start? Is there any running storyline? Where should I start if it doesn't matter?

Almost, yes, no (there are some sequels but they are clearly marked, if they have different names you can play them separately), and Graces and Xillia are both fine for the PS3 ones.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Of the ones in the PS sale play Symphonia first and then literally any of the other ones that isn't the Symphonia sequel and you should be fine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And I'm not even saying that because Symphonia is superior or anything, just because it's old and it might be hard to go back to if you play the other ones.

Symphonia sequel is just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk if symphonia is worth playing at all these days

it's insanely long and not incredibly interesting. there's nothing it does that later games don't do better.