Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Haha the war cutscene in Abyss.

Jarring animation aside this game has some real loving stupid issues with pacing. Oh no that towns gonna get destroyed better go to another continent and gently caress around a canyon to get the airship. Oh hey you saved then and have the airship now! Time to put you locked into a long segment where you lose access to it almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Haha the war cutscene in Abyss.

Jarring animation aside this game has some real loving stupid issues with pacing. Oh no that towns gonna get destroyed better go to another continent and gently caress around a canyon to get the airship. Oh hey you saved then and have the airship now! Time to put you locked into a long segment where you lose access to it almost immediately.

There's also the issue of everyone getting pumped and ready to fight and then someone forgot to do something so you gotta backtrack again and you don't even get quick travel until you get to the point where you don't even need it anymore once you get it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i love abyss but i wish it had been made after people realized that it was okay for JRPGs to be 40-50 hours instead of 70-80

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh no how will we ever cross the border guard in Chessedonia? If only we could fly! *Side characters that have only shown up twice before have a big character moment an let you through.* Okay now we can get to Baticul *Guard immediately close the town gates for some reason*

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The bit I remember about Abyss is at the end where they start making you fly between places for long stretches of plot in between dungeons. I think there's a segment where you are manually ferrying heads of state to Julia City for the big summit. Actually, can games generally stop giving you back control to have you walk forward three feet?

It's probably so some obscure sidequest flag can activate in a random city in between those events.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Between these awful pacing issues and gameplay not being great I'm starting to really not like Abyss.

The cast honestly has the worst if the issues. Luke's development is pretty cool, Guy is a good buddy character and Nat is pretty rad so far, but the rest of the cast has problems. Ion barely has a personality and Anise is basically 100% awful. Jade is weird, he's got some fun moments but half the issues that have come up so far could have at least been lessened if he just said one thing. He's also the reason for one of the most egregious time filled moments where we go out of our way just to go to his hometown and talk to his sister for 5 mins.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

The bit I remember about Abyss is at the end where they start making you fly between places for long stretches of plot in between dungeons. I think there's a segment where you are manually ferrying heads of state to Julia City for the big summit. Actually, can games generally stop giving you back control to have you walk forward three feet?

It's probably so some obscure sidequest flag can activate in a random city in between those events.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. I have learned to be extremely suspicious of any moments between cutscenes where you could, technically, go do something other than advancing the plot because there will be at least one sidequest that requires you to do exactly that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anise is great. im gonna kill you bastards.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Anise is a creepy little girl hitting on rich dudes so she can land a rich husband and lead an easy life who adds nothing to the setting or plot other than being Ion's bodyguard, a role she's frankly quite poo poo at.

She's also weak as all hell. Elize and Teepo would murder this child.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Anise is strong and actually willing to speak her mind without the assistance of a doll to blabber her secrets

not that I'm saying the doll thing wasn't funny, but Anise is cool for calling people on their poo poo all on her own

e: also she has tokunaga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im gonna kill you, bastard

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anise is a creepy little girl hitting on rich dudes so she can land a rich husband and lead an easy life who adds nothing to the setting or plot other than being Ion's bodyguard, a role she's frankly quite poo poo at.

She's also weak as all hell. Elize and Teepo would murder this child.

How far are you in the game? Both issues you have with her actually have decent explanations at the midpoint of act 2 and the start of act 3 respectively.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

She gets to be the light and dark element caster AND the big single hit slugger, she is fun to play in battle

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hunt11 posted:

How far are you in the game? Both issues you have with her actually have decent explanations at the midpoint of act 2 and the start of act 3 respectively.

Also she is only what, a year or two younger than everyone who is not Jade. They just decided to use a tiny character model, despite all the art showing her as nearly the same height as the other young'uns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anise is 13, and 5'0''. she's very tall for her age.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Between these awful pacing issues and gameplay not being great I'm starting to really not like Abyss.

The cast honestly has the worst if the issues. Luke's development is pretty cool, Guy is a good buddy character and Nat is pretty rad so far, but the rest of the cast has problems. Ion barely has a personality and Anise is basically 100% awful. Jade is weird, he's got some fun moments but half the issues that have come up so far could have at least been lessened if he just said one thing. He's also the reason for one of the most egregious time filled moments where we go out of our way just to go to his hometown and talk to his sister for 5 mins.

Was saying nothing on Tear your commentary on her? :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Anise owns, she's the second best character. People that know exactly what they want and strive to get it get points in my book.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Was saying nothing on Tear your commentary on her? :v:

I figure she'll be more important (Read: Actually important) later on since this all seems to be building to some typically big world ending/reworking poo poo like most Tales of games and she's the only person who can use Lady-Jesus's magical tunes.

So far she's been...mostly a prop for Luke's character development. Stern and mean while he's poo poo at first, eases up when he stars trying, hard when he majorly fucks up and then finally basically nothing while he's actually growing.

I mean once every two hours of gameplay she'll occasionally go "...my brother." when Van gets mentioned as being a huge dickhead but that's about it for her.

Erg posted:

Anise is strong and actually willing to speak her mind without the assistance of a doll to blabber her secrets

Anise being someone who calls people out and speaks her mind isn't really note worthy at all when that kind of applies to the entire cast to varying degrees. Even Ion gets to be pretty blunt and brutal here and there. No one on this cast really has any form of tact. The only thing setting Anise apart so far (I'm only just passed the War scenes) is her get rich scheming.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tear's cool

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Anise was definitely my least favorite party member in Abyss.

On the other hand, Edna is kinda like her but done much better.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sylphid posted:

Anise was definitely my least favorite party member in Abyss.

On the other hand, Edna is kinda like her but done much better.

On the first hand, Anise has a complete arc that isn't optional, instead of quietly following you around for 70 hours before Jade secretly convinces Luke to free her parents from their debt by murdering them.

In seriousness I'll agree to prefer Edna personally. My only actual opinion on Anise is that she's great in Hearts because X.BUSTER hits a giant line with Light damage for ages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So is the Hot Coffee scene in ToS kind of infamous among the Japanese fans or something? I'm playing Project X Zone 2 at the moment and one of the NxC protagonist's win quotes is making fun of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's kinda infamous among US fans at least, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So is the Hot Coffee scene in ToS kind of infamous among the Japanese fans or something? I'm playing Project X Zone 2 at the moment and one of the NxC protagonist's win quotes is making fun of it.
It's a joke in both the japanese and english fandoms, because it's such a bizarre scene. the us fandom also has the gta association to make weirder jokes about, but it's still just a very weird and memable scene.

The anime adaptation actually changed the scene to be less bizarre, so clearly it stuck out a lot.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So in Zestiria, I just had Mayvin read the big stone thing and I got that big scene with the former Shepherd and Heldalf in Camlann. How far am I in the game, percentage-wise?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

tear's cool

she's great, yeah

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sylphid posted:

So in Zestiria, I just had Mayvin read the big stone thing and I got that big scene with the former Shepherd and Heldalf in Camlann. How far am I in the game, percentage-wise?

85%

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What's a good tales game for the PS3. I've always liked star ocean games better, but I might one a try if the combat is fun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i mean symphonia is on the ps3 as well :getin:

but for real, the combat is best in Graces so just get that

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Got it. Is Xillia any good too?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's pretty good and enjoyable overall with some rushed story stuff near the end.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are there any other traps in zestria like the auto steps halving your grade? had those activated for 3 hours before i found out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think all the 'auto-whatever' that are available at the start do that but I don't remember any others. iirc it does actually tell you that in the description but you have to press a button to go to the second page and it's not terribly obvious.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Caphi posted:

On the first hand, Anise has a complete arc that isn't optional, instead of quietly following you around for 70 hours before Jade secretly convinces Luke to free her parents from their debt by murdering them.
That was such a bizarre section. Surprisingly, after spending so long not looking for a solution, they don't find one, and just decided death is the way to go. It doesn't help that they also managed to change a wyrm back into a seraph, and just didn't bother investigating that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Zestiria isn't awful, I'm having a bit more fun than Xillia 2 right now. I think it's because the areas don't all feel like enclosed canyons.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

That was such a bizarre section. Surprisingly, after spending so long not looking for a solution, they don't find one, and just decided death is the way to go. It doesn't help that they also managed to change a wyrm back into a seraph, and just didn't bother investigating that.

"Bizarre" is how I'd describe just about everything after the Battle of the Dragon. Lailah's speech to Rose: "Wow, that was amazing and heroic how Sorey slew that dragon threatening all those people! He'd better not make a habit of it, though." Sorey sneaking out because it "feels better." Muse's five-minute arc. The final debate with Symonne. The "We're sorry we made you feel sad" skit. And is this where the Mayvin sidequest is or is that before? It feels like all the threads take a nose-dive in the last hour.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Another Zesty question: since it's quite clear the destroying mobs with seraphic Mystic Artes is the fastest way to get large loot drops, what's an efficient way to get a lot of BG in battle? I mean, having that one skill that drops the cost of Mystic Artes by one is extremely handy in firing them out often, but it's really boring doing the same ol "2 battles to build up BG, 1 battle ended by using that stockpiled BG" routine over and over.

I know the group skill for the all BG+ skills is really handy, but I'm just wondering if there's a faster way than to rely on using Arcane Bottles over and over again and just eating the cost of all those. Then again, that might be it.

Also, is there any reason whatsoever to level shops up all the way? The trophy description for getting one shop to max talks about 'secret menus", but they've gotta be pretty secret if I've leveled up to max the shop in Westronbolt Gorge and have yet to find any of them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

there's a thing that requires every shop to be at least 3 stars or something?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

The cast is awful yeah- Luke, Tear, Natalia and Ion range from yawn (natalia) to awful (Luke and Tear). It has Anise who is freaking drat cool though.

Endorph posted:

anise is great. im gonna kill you bastards.

Anise is basically my fav pre-Mila Tales char. Well, Judith/Rita come close to.

Momomo posted:

Wasn't the point of that scene "If it was a couple minutes later it would have been too late" though?

Caphi posted:

"Bizarre" is how I'd describe just about everything after the Battle of the Dragon. Lailah's speech to Rose: "Wow, that was amazing and heroic how Sorey slew that dragon threatening all those people! He'd better not make a habit of it, though." Sorey sneaking out because it "feels better." Muse's five-minute arc. The final debate with Symonne. The "We're sorry we made you feel sad" skit. And is this where the Mayvin sidequest is or is that before? It feels like all the threads take a nose-dive in the last hour.

Those threads are all great though :( The ones that nosedives are basically the Mikleo ones, or as you said the whole Lailah/her old Shepherd ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Arkeus posted:

Anise is basically my fav pre-Mila Tales char. Well, Judith/Rita come close to.

Aside from Milla, these are some poor choices of characters dude.

Well, Judith is cool to play as at least, but they really dropped the ball on her story which barely got anything.