Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

so i've heard Lailah is the third tallest Tales lady at 5'8

Who are number two and one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No, particularly at the very end there's a fairly long scrolling shot of them smiling at each other that I'm pretty sure is supposed to be meaningful but I don't understand why.

Seriously though I'm in love with this thing basically running Sorey's plot and a whole new one where Alisha is the main character in parallel, but I'm concerned that it's just setting her up to suffer even harder and turn things back around to Alisha being desperate and Sorey running off, say, after the Battle of the Dragon.

Or they could just drop it, but they wouldn't put this much effort into making people like Alisha and invest in her as as a hero(ine) just to throw her to the side again... right?

(Footnote: this show is goddamn pretty.)

voltcatfish posted:

Quick google says: #1 is Grune, Schwartz, and Judith, #2 is Martel, and #3 is Lailah and Maltran.

(Yes, there's just a page that already exists for these things.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 24, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Judith is like 5'9 IIRC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the official heights are bullshit because milla is barely any shorter than alvin in game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i forgot judith and how cool she is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like by official heights he has half a foot on her but it looks more like 2-3 inches

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
p.s. this week's ad is Eleanor so I'm excited for that to go up on Youtube tonight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have ordered a copy of tales of graces f

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Caphi posted:

No, particularly at the very end there's a fairly long scrolling shot of them smiling at each other that I'm pretty sure is supposed to be meaningful but I don't understand why.

The impression I got was that the series just really wants the audience to remember Rose's face. There were quite a few shots of her just smiling at the camera during that scene, and it all felt just a bit awkward. I didn't get the impression it was supposed to mean anything plot-wise.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Colonel posted:

I'm sorry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ometeotl posted:

I'm sorry.

no i should be apologizing for not sharing good video game with you

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I loved this episode of Zesty X. They really aren't skimping out on the budget. Skipping right to kamui is probably the right idea. I'm going to choose to believe Alicia is just super capable and that's why she could defend herself vs. Rose in that situation. I'll also choose to believe that Rose's heart isn't fully into killing Alicia and that's why she took a nerf and that they'll be bff before things are over.

I think it's been said that next episode and the one after is going to tie in the Bersy stuff? I'm kind of worried about that now. They've been doing such a good job with the story, how are they going to tie in the Bersy stuff? Maybe it'll be in trippy dreams Soray has when he's knocked out. Oh, I guess they could also incorporate it using those memories of the world or whatever? I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also Tales of Graces F is a super great game. Hope you enjoy it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Caphi posted:

(Footnote: this show is goddamn pretty.)

This is the part that confuses me the most. I'm really glad the show looks so good, but with the backlash the game got, I really have to wonder why they bothered.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ruta posted:

I think it's been said that next episode and the one after is going to tie in the Bersy stuff? I'm kind of worried about that now. They've been doing such a good job with the story, how are they going to tie in the Bersy stuff? Maybe it'll be in trippy dreams Soray has when he's knocked out. Oh, I guess they could also incorporate it using those memories of the world or whatever? I'm cautiously optimistic.

The one after that, I think. It's kind of confusing but what it says is "#5 and #6 (episodes 6 and 7)". Look at it this way: the advance screening is two Fridays from now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The anime probably got approved way before the game was shipped, and I don't see the downside of having an anime? What else is ufotable going to do, make another Fate/stay anime?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

This is the part that confuses me the most. I'm really glad the show looks so good, but with the backlash the game got, I really have to wonder why they bothered.

ufotable has direct financial incentive to make a good anime that sells well, and for the most part anime looking good comes down less to actual budget and more good project management, which is something Ufotable is good at.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All ufotable productions look basically like this. This is just their standard effort.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

budget definitely matters - with a higher budget you can afford to outsource to better companies, not to mention the fact that people are more inclined to work harder when they know it's a big project - but it isn't a case of money = better animation like some people like to paint it as.

UFOtable has a brand to maintain as a high quality company. More than that, Tales is a popular brand and the thing people don't seem to get is people don't hate Zestiria. There were dudes on 2chan who were mad about it and dumped on it for amazon for a few months but it's still popular. The core fanbase of Tales (read: women aged 18-40) love pretty much the entire cast, doujins of it are still very common at doujin events even a couple of years out, and there's a lot of fanart of it on Pixiv. It isn't Tempest. It's a game that got a mixed reception but has a strong core fanbase. The anime functions as a way to squeeze more money from those people, a way to get people to buy the game when it comes out on PS4 in japan, and with the increased screentime for Alisha, damage control for the vocal minority that do hate it. Since it's in the same series, it's also marketing for Berseria, even ignoring the OVA thing they're basically shoehorning into the series' run time.

There's about seventy reasons why they bothered.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What I like about ufotable is that they're the same company that did the cutscenes for the game so there's some continuity. Unlike Persona 4 which I really wish hired a different studio.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool when tales games hire really good animation studios

i just want to use this as an excuse to say that i really love the cutscene animation in tales of the abyss, that was something that seriously impressed me playing through it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it's cool when tales games hire really good animation studios

i just want to use this as an excuse to say that i really love the cutscene animation in tales of the abyss, that was something that seriously impressed me playing through it
i agree, except the war scene, which looks terrible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay maybe not 'terrible,' there's a certain argument for the bizarre faces and weird mixing of colors as a metaphor for the violence and chaos of war, but it clashes so strongly with every other bit of the art direction that it's weird

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the war scene is cool from the standpoint of "oh, neat, they're messing with a really different art style" but yeah in the context of a video game with really consistent art direction it's kind of strange

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I assume all of that is supposed to represent the supernatural/psychic effects of malevolence, I think.

Zestiria has some solid character and presentation work and some people seem to like the characters being funny/cute and the bits that pull heartstrings like Gramps and Eizen. For people like me the plot is such a mess that it pulls me out of it and all those bits just feel cheap at best or dissonant at worst. Zestiria is also incredibly good at drawing in people who like exploring the lore and study environmental symbolism and buy world guides and stuff even though the actual game is terrible about expressing its setting.

That seems to be the pattern that I've seen. The last time I started the thing about Lailah what it ultimately felt like was that e.g. Endorph was willing to take Lailah out of the context of the storyline and I wasn't. Zestiria is a waste of potential and many people look more at the potential than what came out. Good for them, I suppose.

e: like even if the anime is completely satisfying with Alisha, Symonne, Dezel, etc. I'd still think the game was a heap of wet mulch with bizarre ideas of moral depth.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 24, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In Tales of Abyss?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Tae posted:

The anime probably got approved way before the game was shipped, and I don't see the downside of having an anime? What else is ufotable going to do, make another Fate/stay anime?
God Eater, second season. Now with even less budget than before.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrC1oBXbvc

And there's still Eizen and the main lady to go!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honest talk, half the time my mind views the designs of Jude and Asbel are really similar. I mean side by side I can tell the difference but yeah

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Tales of Vesperia update.

Fixed cameras blow.

Caer Bocram blows.

Estelle is cute and good.

Rita is cute and good.

Yuri is a fun lead.

Game is good so far!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

arisu posted:

Tales of Vesperia update.

Fixed cameras blow.

Caer Bocram blows.

Estelle is cute and good.

Rita is cute and good.

Yuri is a fun lead.

Game is good so far!

But did you craft the black hat?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Costumes/add-ons that every Tales player is mandated to use:

-Milla's Dhaos costume
-Aviator shades on Alvin
-Black hat for Yuri

Forgetting a lot obviously but those are the three I can remember immediately just after coffee.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

-Milla's Dhaos costume
-Aviator shades on Alvin
-Black hat for Yuri

Forgetting a lot obviously but those are the three I can remember immediately just after coffee.
Jude needs a pair of glasses.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Really everyone in Xillia should be rocking the aviators.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't do duplicates, if someone is wearing an item no-one else can.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I gave Leia the Aviators. Black hat for Yuri, but if I had one with the PS3 changes, he'd have the White Hat, and Flynn'd have the Black Hat.

Milla I never gave the Dhaos costume, because by the time I realized you could have it not change the music, I had gotten used to her normal outfit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
In Berseria it will be parrots for everyone.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I put the eyepatch on Alvin. The parrot is very tempting but it's 300 yen and I am trying to manage my DLC budget.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nate RFB posted:

-Milla's Dhaos costume
-Aviator shades on Alvin
-Black hat for Yuri

Malik's Lifeguard costume, obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

Be sure to give each char a shot in combat. All of them are pretty fun to play as(except I could never get Hubert to click.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Senerio posted:

Black hat for Yuri, but if I had one with the PS3 changes, he'd have the White Hat, and Flynn'd have the Black Hat.

Flynn can't equip the Black Hat, unfortunately.