Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It seems less like that and more like the old times where humans and seraph lived together Sorey read about just "conveniently" forgot to mention the part where the seraphs were enslaved. If that was the case then it seems kind of strange that Zaveid or Edna wouldn't point that out... (character spoiler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also the main characters are certainly good but I could probably also watch 12 episodes of Dyle and Kurogane getting drunk on heartwater, getting into trouble together, and making heads/tails puns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's mainly my problem, they are more than nods, it seems pretty significant and a lot of talk time is spent on it. I would have preferred this story be more self-contained even if it takes place in the same world.

Edit: which is to say I wish Zestiria had been more self contained too. The main mcguffin of Zestiria was barely explained back then and I guess will be explained in this game instead.

Well that's a shame.

I hope someone writes a list of important stuff I should know for the game before the English release then. Even if its not super essential it'd probably be nice to know a couple of the more significant references if they mean anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caphi posted:

Also the main characters are certainly good but I could probably also watch 12 episodes of Dyle and Kurogane getting drunk on heartwater, getting into trouble together, and making heads/tails puns.

Does the cool lizard man appear in skits? I want to know this.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does the cool lizard man appear in skits? I want to know this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well that's a shame.

I hope someone writes a list of important stuff I should know for the game before the English release then. Even if its not super essential it'd probably be nice to know a couple of the more significant references if they mean anything.
I disagree with Sanders. Pretty much everything is explained to the point that you shouldn't have any problem.

him not being a party member is even worse than alisha

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Edit: Nevermind

Junpei fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yay!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

him not being a party member is even worse than alisha

I would, absolutely no joking, play a Berseria gaiden where the party is just all the daemons you kidnap rescue at some point. There's no plot, it's just all adorable comic interludes.

Actually hell I just got through what I swear to god is an anime breather vacation episode, so I'd have been totally fine if they cut to Crew Side mini-adventures between real chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

junpei post
come on dude

it's not exactly a critical plot element but let people find out things that happen in the story for themselves

Caphi posted:

I would, absolutely no joking, play a Berseria gaiden where the party is just all the daemons you kidnap rescue at some point. There's no plot, it's just all adorable comic interludes.
tales of berseria 2 would be the best game ever made

but yeah, not a lot of them get a ton of screentime, but I'm still super glad that this game has an actually likable supporting cast who the party bounces off of every now and then. It adds a lot.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, this game has actual NPCs. And they're good! It's all these people you've given back a home (e: and Miss Grim, who is also cool), sitting around being friends with the party and each other. If Zestiria was the most depressing story about being a sacred hero, this is the most heartwarming tale about being a dread villain.

I really hope it doesn't go south at the end.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 23, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yo, Caphi, Endorph. You guys have your opinions on the story given, so I'll ask this: Do you like Oscar, Shigure, Theresa, the bishop guy whose name I forget and Artorius as antagonists? Are they a good "Evil boss squad who compare and contrast the heroes"? Are they as good as, say, The God-Generals?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just saying this might be a slight spoiler but I haven't actually seen much of them. There's been several other things going on that are not directly related to the Abbey, at least at the point where I am now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Media Create reports that Tales continue to decline sales in Japan. Berseria opened at around 250k total between the ps4 and ps3 version. Previous games were:
Tales of Zestiria - 340,891

Tales of Xillia 2 - 364,439

Tales of Xillia - 525,605

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

those numbers don't include digital though, right? like I'm not going to say that's definitely the only reason, but an increasing willingness to embrace digital distribution could create a similar trend

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Even if there was a huge digital push, being right after Zestiria's fiasco and Berseria being known as a Zestira prequel to casual fans is a contributer to the much lower sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Media Create reports that Tales continue to decline sales in Japan. Berseria opened at around 250k total between the ps4 and ps3 version. Previous games were:
Tales of Zestiria - 340,891

Tales of Xillia 2 - 364,439

Tales of Xillia - 525,605

This is part of the reason why B-N is happy that the American market opened up for them and why they're pushing so hard for Tales releases in the US.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Xillia was a big upswing in the series. It's the 4th best selling tales game by Japanese sales, and the 8th best selling game of 2011. It's not really surprising that sales have declined since then. If this trend continues, be worried, but as it stands it just seems like normal fluctuations, especially consider Xillia 2 was a direct sequel (which always sell worse than the original game) and Zestiria had a super mixed reception.

But yeah, it is a reason why they're pushing US releases. And probably why they stopped the Zesty anime dead in its tracks for a two episode Berseria ad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

those numbers don't include digital though, right? like I'm not going to say that's definitely the only reason, but an increasing willingness to embrace digital distribution could create a similar trend
One of these days we're going to be able to know how many copies of games are sold digitally in general, right? I mean, we are kind of in the age of digital distro now, in the year 2016.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of these days we're going to be able to know how many copies of games are sold digitally in general, right? I mean, we are kind of in the age of digital distro now, in the year 2016.
We can already know that. You can get super detailed info on steam's sales data.

As shown here.

There's no technical barrier, it's just about whether companies are willing to release the info.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a case of companies not wanting to publish information rather than it being unavailable, same as physical sales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really, I'm not sales expert or anything, but I feel like this constant string of releases is doing more harm to the Tales brand than good. Berseria is, like, a really good game, but there are places where it feels sort of unpolished or like the developers were pressed for time. Because it's a 50-80 hour RPG with a two year dev cycle. I get that they felt they had to push something out the door to try and make up for Zestiria, but iunno. I think just letting the brand rest for a bit and giving a team a long time to craft something special would do a lot to help the series' image. Iunno if that'd translate to sales, but I have to imagine there's at least a little bit of franchise fatigue going on. They release a new tales game more often than they release a new dynasty warriors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

They release a new tales game more often than they release a new dynasty warriors.

Only because the warriors brand releases like 3-5 games every year minimum, not including expansions like XL or Empires. Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires came out like last year. ,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Really, I'm not sales expert or anything, but I feel like this constant string of releases is doing more harm to the Tales brand than good. Berseria is, like, a really good game, but there are places where it feels sort of unpolished or like the developers were pressed for time. Because it's a 50-80 hour RPG with a two year dev cycle. I get that they felt they had to push something out the door to try and make up for Zestiria, but iunno. I think just letting the brand rest for a bit and giving a team a long time to craft something special would do a lot to help the series' image. Iunno if that'd translate to sales, but I have to imagine there's at least a little bit of franchise fatigue going on. They release a new tales game more often than they release a new dynasty warriors.

Basically the only reason most of these smaller RPG franchises keep going is because they can put out games very quickly to fill an under-satisfied niche. Their core audience doesn't really want 'something special' because there aren't enough RPGs on the market to satisfy their desires in the meantime. The extra development time would almost certainly not translate into extra sales but would translate into extra budget and costs.

The best you could do is like SMT does and have multiple development teams making games. but Tales specifically moved away from doing that.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Yeah, one of the main appeals of the Tales series is getting a new quality JRPG every ~2 years where you sorta know what to expect. Hideo Baba if you are reading this don't mess with the Tales formula, if people ever stop buying your games I shall join you in your whimsical journey in which we smite humanity and reshape the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stuffguyman posted:

Yeah, one of the main appeals of the Tales series is getting a new quality JRPG every ~2 years where you sorta know what to expect. Hideo Baba if you are reading this don't mess with the Tales formula, if people ever stop buying your games I shall join you in your whimsical journey in which we smite humanity and reshape the world.
hideo baba didn't even work on berseria

he may or may not work on the next one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think anyone is saying the next Tales should take like persona 5 long, just that giving a game like 2-2.5 yrs from the last game instead of like 1.5 might do the brand good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Consider a F2P Gacha with lots of original, cute boys and girls, is my suggestion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Isn't that just tales of link

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sure, but more.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Or take 3-4 years but farm out ports or remakes for some cashflow in the meanwhile. Just on PC/PS4 instead of Vita because Vita does not mean life it means death to the series' will to ever remake again.

And the phone games, sure. Also make a gundam game with tales of characters as the pilots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

get tecmo koei to make a tales musou instead of making a crappy one yourself

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also Arc System Works to make a fighting game instead of the worst Smash clone in a world where Playstation All Stars exists.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

hideo baba didn't even work on berseria

he may or may not work on the next one.

Baba has been promoted out of Tales Endorph

His tyranny is over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Baba has been promoted out of Tales Endorph

His tyranny is over.

promoted out of tales and into pachinko

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of zestiria the slot machine. every time you think you're gonna get three alishas, she disappears on the third one

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Decus posted:

Or take 3-4 years but farm out ports or remakes for some cashflow in the meanwhile. Just on PC/PS4 instead of Vita because Vita does not mean life it means death to the series' will to ever remake again.

And the phone games, sure. Also make a gundam game with tales of characters as the pilots.

The last time they did that kind of transitional period it was going into the PS3, and it produced Tempest, Innocence, and Symphonia: Dawn.

Granted, that was also when they let Udo make Graces and decided they needed a Hearts to ring out the DS.

Me, I'd be okay if they just ported some of the PS2 games to the PS3 or PS4.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Upscaled Abyss PS2 to PS4 with trophies is a thing I didn't know I wanted.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Decus posted:

Just on PC/PS4 instead of Vita because Vita does not mean life it means death to the series' will to ever remake again.
I'll fight you.

Innocence R is my favorite remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They already put Destiny 2 and Rebirth on the PSP and Abyss on the 3DS, though, probably because it was easy (at least for the PSP). And of course, Symphonia is already on the PS3. I think that leaves Legendia and just remake that thing.

But then, we're a generation overdue for an Eternia remake since Phantasia and Destiny got remade ages ago, and that's the one I want, personally.