Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Looking back, I'm amazed at how many Tales of they put on the PSP.

Destiny 2, Eternia, Rebirth, Phantasia: Full voice edition, Dress-up Dungeon X/Phantasia X, all three Radiant Mythology games, Tales of Versus, that Tales of musou game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I wouldn't need my old 360 anymore if they ported vesperia to the ps4. I don't know if that's feasible though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

kinda sucks that there is absolutely no way except for a very tiny section of people to even play the PS3 Vesperia English Patched version.

I want it. More than many things.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

voltcatfish posted:

kinda sucks that there is absolutely no way except for a very tiny section of people to even play the PS3 Vesperia English Patched version.

I want it. More than many things.

Buying a CFW PS3 and finding a prepatched Vesperia doesn't sound too difficult. I did it (and then did not play it because I already spent ~170 hours playing it in Japanese)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I can play Vesperia PS3 patched. I just barely played it because I've had too much on my backlog already and not enough time to really play games now. I haven't even seen how the translation handles Patty yet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Txn posted:

I'll fight you.

Innocence R is my favorite remake.

Still waiting on Innocence R to be translated :(

And for the Tempest R remake to complete the trifecta :negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well I didn't even look on the internet for early enough PS 3 because I assumed it would cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars because scalping I don't know

Maybe I'll actually look about picking 1 up if it actually doesn't

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

voltcatfish posted:

Well I didn't even look on the internet for early enough PS 3 because I assumed it would cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars because scalping I don't know

Maybe I'll actually look about picking 1 up if it actually doesn't

I don't know what the American market is like, but I recently saw a CFW white PS3 sell on Yahoo Japan for 14,000 yen. In fact, if you're interested in knowing what CFW PS3s sell like in Japan: http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch?p=%E6%9C%AC%E4%BD%93+CFW&aq=-1&oq=&x=8&y=24&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&auccat=2084216437

Almost all CFW'd PS3s would be able to run Vesperia without upgrading firmware because it was released in 2009 and doesn't require recent firmware. Something like Berseria would probably need the latest, though at this stage I would just recommend waiting for the PC release.

Then all you'd need is to find the game and patch it, or find a prepatched version of the game from ~online~ and ftp that across to your PS3.

I pretty much backed up my entire PS3 library this way, never needing to insert another of my discs. Especially good for games that have no digital release (like Demon's Souls). I know there's a bunch of undubs (Catherine) and Nier Replicant in English floating around out there too. I'd say it's worth it if you're interested in looking into PS3 games but not interested in juggling around discs.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So Berseria is still fine and I'm enjoying it but I hope the next game really is a different setting, and preferably not written by Yamamoto. It's not the episodic writing, I don't really mind, but I'm totally over "having human feelings causes demons/poison, bad guy has an extremist plot to fix them." How about something technological like Eternia or Abyss or Vesperia?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Because technology and its inevitable side effects is bad and we need to go back to nature is also a bad plot

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Abyss sure I guess, the luddites in Eternia were wrong and the decent part of Vesperia was about technology and class.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 25, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Because technology and its inevitable side effects is bad and we need to go back to nature is also a bad plot
If anything, I'd say Abyss was more about religion and tradition vs free-will and forward thinking. The score isn't really technology. Abyss pretty explicitly treated technology as just something that could be used for good or bad, like any tool.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just meant technological in the sense that they're kind of SF, there's this broad, entrenched science-magic system that supports the entire setting and its themes. Between Hearts, Wasteland, and kind of Xillia 2, not only is magic this weird and elite thing, but it's always tied into this backstory about how bad thoughts are literally deadly, the monsters come from people, etc. and so there's this secret battle within the magical outer-society for the souls of an oblivious humanity. It didn't bother me as much in Hearts and X2 because it was all the backdrop for personal stories, but Zestiria is all about that topic, and it's like, what are you trying to say, Mr. Yamamoto?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 25, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think he's trying to say 'i get paid $8.50 an hour for this poo poo'

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Caphi posted:

I just meant technological in the sense that they're kind of SF, there's this broad, entrenched science-magic system that supports the entire setting and its themes. Between Hearts, Wasteland, and kind of Xillia 2, not only is magic this weird and elite thing, but it's always tied into this backstory about how bad thoughts are literally deadly, the monsters come from people, etc. and so there's this secret battle within the magical outer-society for the souls of an oblivious humanity. It didn't bother me as much in Hearts and X2 because it was all the backdrop for personal stories, but Zestiria is all about that topic, and it's like, what are you trying to say, Mr. Yamamoto?

Tragedies are great, I guess, though he doesn't quite follow through there. I mean, tastes and colours, but the whole "personal and cultural failings as well as people rushing into fixes are what ails humanity" is a pretty strong theme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

"People are lovely and the root cause of most of our problems is not some outside source but the hosed-up elements inside of us" is pretty common fodder for fantasy novels.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

"People are lovely and the root cause of most of our problems is not some outside source but the hosed-up elements inside of us" is pretty common fodder for fantasy novels.

Sure - you know I like Rebirth and Hearts and, well, I was down on X2 but not for this. But Zestiria ham-handedly overloads the moral calculus by going "the little girl was sad about her mom (and turned into a werewolf) and we have to kill her because being sad (a werewolf) is awful and you can never have a decent life again if you get sad (werewolf)."

I mean, I guess that's my problem? R/H/X2 leave the internal darkness, well, internal, by and large; it's a metaphor for people doing people things and sometimes doing dumb poo poo for it. In Wasteland you can turn into a zombie werewolf after one bad day and then the game tries to make a deep moral argument about it when at that point it's just gone way out of the boundaries of "if there is evil in this world."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, and Berseria takes the exact opposite moral stance (the entire party, as well as their immediate allies, are people who have had one bad day and are still worthwhile, human people who find value in their relationships with each other even if they sometimes act in anger or distrust, and even if they literally look like monsters outwardly) so you can't really use Zestiria's writing to cast aspersions on Yamamoto himself or anything. Zesty's writing was all over the place and weird because the entire game was all over the place and weird. I think you kind of extrapolate Zestiria's writing way too far sometimes? I don't think Yamamoto literally thinks we should kill anyone who suffers from depression, he was just using a kind of convoluted metaphor to create hamfisted drama, because video game writing is tough even if you're an okay writer and sometimes things end up like that, especially in a game where the concept of editing was 'hastily removing anything that we couldn't actually put into the game.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 25, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hang on, I've got sidetracked and I'm saying two separate things here.

1) Yamamoto's games seem to all have this "human condition monsters that only special magic can cure" theme.
2) Zestiria was especially clumsy with it.

I hope that makes more sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, every writer has their own personal bugbears born from their own life experiences and world views.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So is Berseria good like Vesperia, bad like Zestiria, or OK like Xillia?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

So is Berseria good like Vesperia, bad like Zestiria, or OK like Xillia?

it's very, very, very good in terms of story, characters, and combat, but its side features are pretty tacked on and its presentation is best described as 'workmanlike.' That said it's still, like, top 3 in the series material. I need to finish it and give it time to digest to be sure about that, but yeah, top 3.

Then again my current top 3 is Graces, Abyss, and Xillia in that order, soooo

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endorph posted:

it's very, very, very good in terms of story, characters, and combat, but its side features are pretty tacked on and its presentation is best described as 'workmanlike.' That said it's still, like, top 3 in the series material. I need to finish it and give it time to digest to be sure about that, but yeah, top 3.

Then again my current top 3 is Graces, Abyss, and Xillia in that order, soooo

Are the characters as good as Vesperia's? This is important. Or even as good as Abyss'?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basic thoughts:

Combat is probably second best in the series, only annoying facet is that it takes a tick to open up and there's some mild hiccups like AI Velvet immediately killing herself with her break soul if you take your eyes off her for five seconds

Plot is definitely up there with the best in the series. There's a few minorly annoying detours and I don't think it's got as much to sink your teeth into as Abyss, but it's got a core idea and executes on it very well, which is refreshing after Zestiria where it had 26 ideas and executed on, like, one of them or Xillia where it had one idea and forgot to finish executing it. Like I said, this one could vary depending on which way the ending goes, but there's only a few possible endings I could think of that would sour on me on it.

Characters are best in the series. No contest. I love every one of these idiots, including the minor side characters. Velvet is a great lead with a lot of nuance who's also fun to have around (a lot of people thought she'd be a downer edgelord, but she honestly bounces off everyone really well), Rokurou is a goof, Eizen spends most of his time arguing with Rokurou in a fun way, Laphicet's a great little kid character, Eleanor is enjoyable in how much of a loser she is and has a pretty interesting arc, and Magilou is. The best. Just the absolute best. I've even sort of come around on the annoying mascot.They all have really interesting relationships with each other, too, in a way that I don't think any other Tales game has executed on. In, say, Vesperia or Xillia, you could slap any two characters together and come away with an idea of how they'd interact with each other and angles you could take to get humor. In Berseria, you get that, but there's also a surprising amount of depth to a lot of the inter-party relationships. They all have pretty complicated outlooks on each other that affect how they interact with one person vs the other, instead of it just being mostly about personality types with a few complicated relationships for flavor. Even said mascot has a couple of interesting relationships with certain party members, even if they're mostly mined for comedy. Maybe Caphi has a different take, but in my opinion this is an amazing cast. Also there's a lizardman who mostly just shows up to make lame puns.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I've watched a handful of vids for the fighting and I'm not really sure I get it. What is BG used for this time around? It doesn't seem connected to the characters special moves (I assume those consume souls, but the players seem to do them whenever).

Ok really what I'm asking is "does it use the zesty system for comboing where you had to waste BG just to go beyond four moves" because I really didn't like that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

I mean, every writer has their own personal bugbears born from their own life experiences and world views.

Yeah, I just want something new next time.

Anyway the cast is fantastic. There's a level of balance between the main party I haven't seen in ages, as well as actual, legitimate, character-driven, non-forced conflict between their viewpoints. They're together because of shared goals, and those goals don't always go together, and they often disagree, and that texture is in every interaction from how they handle each episode to the obligatory "cats or dogs" skit. I don't know who ever thought Velvet was going to be a monotone edgelord; she says a lot of dark stuff but it was clear from at least the anime that she has some weaknesses and a delightfully dry sense of humor. Rokurou's personality is "I like swords and booze" but he's got a kind of generally fun, trolling side that fits into a lot of other interactions and goes weirdly well with Magilou. Eleanor plays serious-and-vulnerable really well but even she can be funny at times in her own ways. Everyone bounces off of everyone else really well. The story is really episodic and straightforward (disclaimer: I'm only almost done) but the skits and scenes are so dense and good that it's fine.

The setting isn't as dense as Abyss or Vesperia, but in lieu of that, you end up taking a bunch of disenfranchised NPCs over the course of the game and giving them a new home. Every time you check in with your crew, these characters are doing things and forming their own relationships with each other and the party. It almost fits with the atmosphere of being the bad guys in your lair who are also a bunch of people whose lives have been taken apart trying to move on together, actually. You're a step removed from the world at large, but that's your lot, and at least you're removed together.

e: as far as Velvet killing herself, I turned everybody's BG to "switch only" because Mystic Artes are incredibly disruptive, and this (quite sensibly) makes characters much more reliable at swapping themselves out when they're low on HP. This helps Velvet a great deal though I haven't checked to see if she'll wait for her finisher arte to go off before swapping. She might actually be too cautious considering I've gotten her from 1 to full HP with one long Consume Claw chain (like there's any other kind).

I have started to main Eleanor because playing as Velvet feels like cheating.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish Abyss wouldn't put an unskippable cutscene before the (a?) really hard optional boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish Abyss wouldn't put an unskippable cutscene before the (a?) really hard optional boss.

I mean, the optional boss in Abyss is pretty plot relevant, and they hadn't invented the amazing technologies of a retry button or a skip cutscene button.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure they had magic technology like that by the time the 3DS version came out, but I guess if SE still hadn't figured it out for the FFX ports I can't expect Bamco to have

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only addition they made to the 3ds port is making radiant howl not have a 1/5 chance of crashing your game

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

If you are a sucky player like me, in Vesperia there is one time where there is a boss fight, then ten minutes of talking, then another boss fight without an option to save (well, actually I guess there is an option to save after the first bossfight, but...). That second bossfight is one where you are alone and is supposed to be a 'tutorial' one.

I might have lost 4/5 hours dying to and getting to the same place because I'm a sucky player that also doesn't like to bring down the difficulty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm giving up for now, I was doing well and it had been like 15 minutes since the start of the fight then everyone got wiped out at exactly the same time by an unlucky meteor blast. I'm just gonna finish the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's been bothering me about Berseria that I think I'm coming up on the endgame and the only real sidequest I've gotten myself into is the Omega Elixir one. I'm sure they exist but I feel like I've been fairly conscientious about backtracking. How did I miss them?

I'll probably actually do a second round of this one, anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm giving up for now, I was doing well and it had been like 15 minutes since the start of the fight then everyone got wiped out at exactly the same time by an unlucky meteor blast. I'm just gonna finish the game.

even if you're level 200 nebilim can just oneshot you if she decides to. it's pretty messed up.

Caphi posted:

It's been bothering me about Berseria that I think I'm coming up on the endgame and the only real sidequest I've gotten myself into is the Omega Elixir one. I'm sure they exist but I feel like I've been fairly conscientious about backtracking. How did I miss them?

I'll probably actually do a second round of this one, anyway.
Yeah I've definitely seen stuff that looks like sidequest triggers but I've only done a couple. I really doubt anything is Abyss levels of obscure but it's possible they've gone back to some stuff being very specifically timelocked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sounds like I might actually pick this series up again after Vesperia.

Looking forward to playing with a sidequest FAQ open at all times. Memories~

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Yeah I've definitely seen stuff that looks like sidequest triggers but I've only done a couple. I really doubt anything is Abyss levels of obscure but it's possible they've gone back to some stuff being very specifically timelocked.

I've been checking all the maps for the ! bubbles periodically. I've got nothing.

Berseria has a lot of interesting chatter and guest stars and decent episodes, but suspiciously little has really happened to me off of the main scenario. I mentioned that this feels okay but thinking about it feels like there should still be some sort of sequence where, like, Eleanor tries to help somebody? Eizen does something with his crew? You learn something about House Rangetsu? (I thought the Orichalcon would be be a character quest for Rokurou, actually, but apparently not.) Instead, of all the people I could have ended up on character quests with, I've got the Omega Elixir chain and the (excellent, really, don't get me wrong) Magilou Comedy Hour.

Even Zestiria had side events (you know the ones, they mostly end in watching children die) so I'm absolutely sure I've just missed something.

And while I'm kind of niggling, I'm really tired of people being sworn to secrecy for no good reason in both this and Zestiria.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 26, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The trophy list mentions character specific sidequests for everyone.

Oxxidation posted:

Sounds like I might actually pick this series up again after Vesperia.

Looking forward to playing with a sidequest FAQ open at all times. Memories~
you should play graces and the xillias, because they're good games.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like I want to push through to the end of the story and then play it again, rushing the scenario while spending more time looking around. It's not an incredibly deep or complex core plotline anyway, this is the kind of RPG that sails on its characters.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
They should do what Square did with FF9 and go back to a very basic Tales story a la Phantasia. Mana Tree, elemental spirits, half-elf prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of symphonia was boring though