Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Well, there's Sergei and Mayvin.

And a bunch of "who?" characters, like Lucas and every single Sparrowfeather.
don't forget attak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Will I need to play Zestiria to appreciate this game? Because I got bored of it pretty quickly and I know they're the same universe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jsor posted:

Will I need to play Zestiria to appreciate this game? Because I got bored of it pretty quickly and I know they're the same universe.

i'm pretty sure the universal answer everyone has been giving is, no

in fact, you might appreciate it more

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I know I will not enjoy Berseria as much as I should, because prequels always make me feel this way when I know how certain characters end up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jsor posted:

No.

There's some ties but everything in it works fine on its own. I say this having beaten the game. Everything you need to know is explained and everything that isn't explained can be surmised with like 2 seconds of thinking about it.

Tae posted:

I know I will not enjoy Berseria as much as I should, because prequels always make me feel this way when I know how certain characters end up.
The only real connective tissue character-wise is Eizen.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

don't forget attak

Too late.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

voltcatfish posted:

did zestiria have side characters?

Alisha :twisted:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway Berseria was good but I hope the next Tales is an all new setting and a new style and that they take however long they need to. Drop another phone game or something. Crank out another Radiant Mythology. Hell, farm out a bunch of not-ports for the 3DS like that time in the late aughts.

System-wise I don't know but all I want is no TP, and it'd be nice if they went forward with Berseria's free motion shenanigans somehow. I was going to say "bring back escalating chain limits" but Berseria has completely sold me on the idea of CC without CC.

Actually Graces' and Berseria's frantic self-feeding type-chaining (also the Xillias) was fun for what it was but having played Rebirth in the last year I would like to see a more measured LMBS again. Not simply slow like Vesperia, but a game with more of a deliberate push-pull rhythm. Especially after Berseria, which as far as I could tell is all about the aggression, which kind of works for it, but. They've done a few (rather odd) games with a rush gauge type of basis and it'd be interesting to see someone make one of those in modernity.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

That's an insult to actual side characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway here's the real best song in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JNqS2eiJo

also, the abbey have their own boss theme. It isn't super great IMO but it's decent, and at least they have it, unlike the chimeriad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaRilbcAKQ

those are my ost opinions

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's see...

I'll list a combination of any two PC or supporting characters from Berseria. If they have any sort of relationship whatsoever, expand on it, Caphi.

Rokuro and Laphicet
Eizen and Eleanor
Velvet and Dyle
Dyle and Eizen

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Junpei posted:

Let's see...

I'll list a combination of any two PC or supporting characters from Berseria. If they have any sort of relationship whatsoever, expand on it, Caphi.

Rokuro and Laphicet
Eizen and Eleanor
Velvet and Dyle
Dyle and Eizen

This sounds fun! I'll try. :siren: Mild spoilers ahead, tell me if I cross a line. :siren:

Rokurou and Laphicet

Laphicet names Rokurou and Eizen as the people who "taught [him] how to live." If I were to read into it, though, I would say Rokurou, as the non-malak in that statement, represents something special to Laphicet: the picture of a human who is imperfect but hopeful.

Eleanor is perforce pure. Velvet has another kind of relationship with Laphicet. He loves her, and he wants her to have hope, too, but they both need each other's support, and that makes the story a bit different. Rokurou just has a generally jovial rapport with everybody, and I believe that's important - he's a daemon, Malevolent as all get-out, and all about swords (and booze, and debt), but he follows his own code, he's always pushing himself, he knows exactly who and what he is, and he can be insightful when he wants to be. When Laphicet talks about how humans are always going to gently caress up and make mistakes, but they deserve hope and a chance to forge their own way, I think he is talking about Eleanor and Rokurou both. Velvet is a tragedy that is very close to Laphicet, and that's the kind of hope Laphicet wants to give her. But Rokurou is just a dude with issues, and that's the kind of hope Laphicet wants to give him.

Velvet is highly specific (and so is Eleanor, in a different way). Rokurou is an ugly, beautiful, powerless, badass human just doing what he can the way he knows how, and thus showing Laphicet how humans do that. That's very important to Laphicet.

Eizen and Eleanor

I think it's funny that Eizen is with Velvet when they find out Eleanor is supposed to be a spy. Like, it's barely a spoiler, the instant she joins Artorius calls her up and is like "hey do these things secretly" and Velvet and Eizen are both silently standing behind her. It's incredible.

Eleanor gives Eizen a certain amount of poo poo for being a neglectful, irresponsible, freewheeling, thickheaded outlaw pirate. But I think, ultimately, that comes from Eleanor's concern for him, as she's sincerely concerned for everybody - you can see how she reacts to the Reaper's Curse, and his home, and some dragon stuff, and his relationship with Zaveid. Meanwhile, Eizen is the only one who doesn't return fire for her being a straightlaced, stuck-up Exorcist. See, Eizen takes the role of the old, wise one on the team, especially in the field of Malevolence, and he has an idea of what that means about Eleanor.

Quick aside. Eleanor is basically what Sorey was intended and stated to be. She is a naturally kind and naturally pure personality who has had her worldview turned upside-down, and she's struggling with the clash between her compassionate nature, her desire for the best, and the strictures imposed on her in the name of the greater good. The thing is that Eleanor visibly struggles, actually tries to make her own way instead of listening to what she's told (it's highly explicit) by either the Abbey or an old master like Eizen, and is even allowed to put herself out and screw up a few times. I guess that makes Eizen sort of the Lailah in this situation, but the only thing he ever says is what his way is and what works for him - at one point he even tells Laphicet "that's my way. Think about yours for yourself." The entire thing is everything Zestiria paid lip service to.

Eleanor's principled honor-student personality isn't because of her Reason, Abbey or otherwise. Just the opposite. She's very serious about doing everything right, and she thought that path was with the Abbey, but she brings the same intense focus to Team Chaos. The fact that she clashes with them is very much about her own code, not because she's trying to be a paladin about it. And the point here is that I think Eizen is the person who understands that earlier and respects it more than anyone else.

There's also a thing where Eizen really wants to be Mr. Exposition and Eleanor, since she's an honor student, will occasionally show him up. It's a very good bit.

Velvet and Dyle

Part of me feels like you picked these pairings because you played the game and you're going for the least voluminous ones, and another part of me doesn't because you focused on Dyle instead of, say, Percival.

More than anyone else, I think Dyle represents home. He's basically the self-appointed caretaker of home, and a lot of what he seems to do, albeit kind of interfacing with the party as a group, takes the form of taking responsibility for everyone's safety and happiness while Velvet is out doing her thing. (If anything, he's closest to Eleanor, through Moana.) Dyle grumbles about Velvet's recklessness occasionally, given that she's the instigator of a lot of his troubles (though she's also the one who saved him to begin with, and he knows that, because he takes the loss of his tail in stride), but ultimately, he's into his job and he will do whatever it takes because it's what he loves.

Dyle and Eizen

Dyle probably feels as strongly about Eizen as anyone else on the Van Eltia (which is not exactly trivial), but again, I don't remember much specific. I like to think they shared a bottle of spiritwater, though.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 2, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

please do not feed the junpei

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erg posted:

What? I just asked for expansions on relationships?

Going a bit more guessing on this one:

Boss Squadron and Eleanor:
"You betrayed us!"
"But you're evil douches!"
"LALALALA CANT HEAR YOU"

Rokuro and Eizen:
"He isn't as cool as me, don't listen to him."
"What he said."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Erg posted:

I understand now and I apologize.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've been playing Tales of Link long enough that I was able to beat Ares Realm. Not sure how to feel about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ignore, I hosed that up

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've been playing Tales of Link long enough that I was able to beat Ares Realm. Not sure how to feel about that.

I've probably spent more time on Tales of Link than on all other games this year combined. Please send help.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Actias posted:

I've probably spent more time on Tales of Link than on all other games this year combined. Please send help.

:smith::hf::smith:

I don't know what it is because I've never been a fan of phone games until this one. The fact that it's Tales has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

Edit: still f2p though. Haven't fallen down that rabbit hole yet.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 3, 2016

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Same, except I fell off the f2p wagon a couple of weeks ago, and for a really stupid reason: I thought the battle sprite of Mikleo with the duckie pool float was the funniest thing I'd ever seen and wanted to take a shot at pulling him. (No dice, but I got that banner's Alisha instead, so no regrets.)

I've gotten so sick of grinding for stamina regen over the last week or so, and I'm trying to give myself permission to sit out the current Soul Arena. I could really use a spell finisher, though...

ETA:

Actias fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 3, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

This sounds fun! I'll try. :siren: Mild spoilers ahead, tell me if I cross a line. :siren:

Rokurou and Laphicet

Laphicet names Rokurou and Eizen as the people who "taught [him] how to live." If I were to read into it, though, I would say Rokurou, as the non-malak in that statement, represents something special to Laphicet: the picture of a human who is imperfect but hopeful.

Eleanor is perforce pure. Velvet has another kind of relationship with Laphicet. He loves her, and he wants her to have hope, too, but they both need each other's support, and that makes the story a bit different. Rokurou just has a generally jovial rapport with everybody, and I believe that's important - he's a daemon, Malevolent as all get-out, and all about swords (and booze, and debt), but he follows his own code, he's always pushing himself, he knows exactly who and what he is, and he can be insightful when he wants to be. When Laphicet talks about how humans are always going to gently caress up and make mistakes, but they deserve hope and a chance to forge their own way, I think he is talking about Eleanor and Rokurou both. Velvet is a tragedy that is very close to Laphicet, and that's the kind of hope Laphicet wants to give her. But Rokurou is just a dude with issues, and that's the kind of hope Laphicet wants to give him.

Velvet is highly specific (and so is Eleanor, in a different way). Rokurou is an ugly, beautiful, powerless, badass human just doing what he can the way he knows how, and thus showing Laphicet how humans do that. That's very important to Laphicet.

Eizen and Eleanor

I think it's funny that Eizen is with Velvet when they find out Eleanor is supposed to be a spy. Like, it's barely a spoiler, the instant she joins Artorius calls her up and is like "hey do these things secretly" and Velvet and Eizen are both silently standing behind her. It's incredible.

Eleanor gives Eizen a certain amount of poo poo for being a neglectful, irresponsible, freewheeling, thickheaded outlaw pirate. But I think, ultimately, that comes from Eleanor's concern for him, as she's sincerely concerned for everybody - you can see how she reacts to the Reaper's Curse, and his home, and some dragon stuff, and his relationship with Zaveid. Meanwhile, Eizen is the only one who doesn't return fire for her being a straightlaced, stuck-up Exorcist. See, Eizen takes the role of the old, wise one on the team, especially in the field of Malevolence, and he has an idea of what that means about Eleanor.

Quick aside. Eleanor is basically what Sorey was intended and stated to be. She is a naturally kind and naturally pure personality who has had her worldview turned upside-down, and she's struggling with the clash between her compassionate nature, her desire for the best, and the strictures imposed on her in the name of the greater good. The thing is that Eleanor visibly struggles, actually tries to make her own way instead of listening to what she's told (it's highly explicit) by either the Abbey or an old master like Eizen, and is even allowed to put herself out and screw up a few times. I guess that makes Eizen sort of the Lailah in this situation, but the only thing he ever says is what his way is and what works for him - at one point he even tells Laphicet "that's my way. Think about yours for yourself." The entire thing is everything Zestiria paid lip service to.

Eleanor's principled honor-student personality isn't because of her Reason, Abbey or otherwise. Just the opposite. She's very serious about doing everything right, and she thought that path was with the Abbey, but she brings the same intense focus to Team Chaos. The fact that she clashes with them is very much about her own code, not because she's trying to be a paladin about it. And the point here is that I think Eizen is the person who understands that earlier and respects it more than anyone else.

There's also a thing where Eizen really wants to be Mr. Exposition and Eleanor, since she's an honor student, will occasionally show him up. It's a very good bit.

Velvet and Dyle

Part of me feels like you picked these pairings because you played the game and you're going for the least voluminous ones, and another part of me doesn't because you focused on Dyle instead of, say, Percival.

More than anyone else, I think Dyle represents home. He's basically the self-appointed caretaker of home, and a lot of what he seems to do, albeit kind of interfacing with the party as a group, takes the form of taking responsibility for everyone's safety and happiness while Velvet is out doing her thing. (If anything, he's closest to Eleanor, through Moana.) Dyle grumbles about Velvet's recklessness occasionally, given that she's the instigator of a lot of his troubles (though she's also the one who saved him to begin with, and he knows that, because he takes the loss of his tail in stride), but ultimately, he's into his job and he will do whatever it takes because it's what he loves.

Dyle and Eizen

Dyle probably feels as strongly about Eizen as anyone else on the Van Eltia (which is not exactly trivial), but again, I don't remember much specific. I like to think they shared a bottle of spiritwater, though.

this post is why the characters in bersy are so good btw.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I get it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Footnote: one advantage of Berseria putting half of half the story scenes into the skit system is you can recheck it easier through Katz Island.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Footnote: one advantage of Berseria putting half of half the story scenes into the skit system is you can recheck it easier through Katz Island.

also tbh the skits look better than a lot of the cutscenes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

also tbh the skits look better than a lot of the cutscenes

All the animation budget went to the scripted fights with Shigure and Art/Kanonushi.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So my wife and I are starting Rebirth with the aid of GameFAQs translation guides. So far it's going well, except for two minor interface things that are bugging me.

First, in the Force menu, with the Force Cube, each of the cube skills has a number. I think it's usage or something but am not sure if it means anything else or if that thing is important (like how Xillia artes get general usage bonuses).

Secondly, out in the field there's a spinning Force Cube above the skit notifications. I don't know what it means or how to get rid of it but it's bothersome.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I decided to try and play Zestiria anyway mostly because I wanted a JRPG to play. I'm liking the characters a little more this time, but they still don't have great chemistry. Edna is still the best because she just trolls the entire party and they fall for it every time. My biggest complaint, and maybe this is just because the last tales game I played at length was Graces, is that the post battle dialogue is atrocious.

I do not understand this equipment system at all, it just seems like a worse possibly grindier and more random* version of Graces' system.

I'm also very annoyed that I can't change my display character. I can understand not allowing the Seraphim because they're invisible, but Alisha?

Also pretty sure this time that one of the assassins = that chick (Rose?) from the Sparrowfeathers = girl in opening cutscene, and I'm more than okay with her being in the party eventually (I only got past the plague town last time, so I wasn't far at all).

* At least, it seems like each shop has a random stock that gets changed every so often. I've gone to shops only to see them have like 3 swords and no spears to whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The displayed character thing is a sort of play on the JRPG thing of characters vanishing into the main character once a cutscene is over. The seraphim are literally inside of Sorey, and his human buddy just trails behind him, so the entire party is 'onscreen' when you're out on the field. It's sort of a neat idea.

Also, some of the post battle dialogue is decent, but it takes a while for the dialogue to start firing. Lailah's fortunes are the best.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The cards bit is pretty much as good as those skits get, but post-combat skits are also how you get Rose "Voted Most Likely To Get Herself And All Your Seraphim Killed 3 Years Running" acting like you're slowing her down.

Anyway I'm doing Berseria's postgame dungeon because apparently it has some very serious Wasteland setting/metaplot sequel hook poo poo in it, and I want to see it to figure out if it's enough to make me accept another Zesty/Bersy sequel or if I still want them to just ditch it and move onto the next thing. It'd take a lot, but still.

Anyway I don't hate this dungeon yet (I don't know how much more of it there is) but I'd be enjoying it a shitton more if I didn't have to sit down every few rooms and scrap a giant pile of Mithril and Adamantine. It continues to not be as bad as Zestiria but please no more loot systems next time, Tales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Anyway I'm doing Berseria's postgame dungeon because apparently it has some very serious Wasteland setting/metaplot sequel hook poo poo in it
I mean, the Alisha DLC teased a Zesty sequel, and we obviously didn't get that.

I still kind of think they might do a revamped version of Zesty, but on the other hand it might just be best to wash their hands of the whole thing and just make a new game.

Alt, Tales of Destiny 3. :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

I mean, the Alisha DLC teased a Zesty sequel, and we obviously didn't get that.

I still kind of think they might do a revamped version of Zesty, but on the other hand it might just be best to wash their hands of the whole thing and just make a new game.

Alt, Tales of Destiny 3. :v:

Destiny barely needed a Tales of Destiny 2 to start with. It was basically a completely different story guest-starring Zombie Leon.

My understanding of the end of After Episode is that it simply teased further After Episodes. The Stairway to Heaven's (I don't think it's actually called that exactly but it's close enough) plot involves the origin of Malevolence itself and possibly the Seraphim.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Tales of Destiny mobile version. You've reached your daily skit limit, pay $1 to continue viewing skits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of phantasia 2

wait that was just symphonia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of tales games that have room for a sequel:

abyss
vesperia
tbh that's all i got

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

list of tales games that have room for a sequel:

abyss
vesperia
tbh that's all i got

Tales of XIllia 3 starring Teenage Elle on a magical quest to find renewable fossil fuels.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

tales of phantasia 2

wait that was just symphonia

Phantasia had a sequel, actually, it was Dressup Dungeon. You basically found out the backstory of what happened with Dhaos and Derris Kharlan before Phantasia. (It's still technically a sequel since Phantasia is a time travel story. I don't know about the original GBC version but in X you do kind of get a "where are they now" for all the Phantasia cast.)

There was also Summoner's Lineage but I don't think that had anything to do with anything.

e: between ND and X2 as far as "epilogue sequels" go, ND doesn't have character episodes but on the other hand the new original characters have anything at all to do with the original game's plot.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 4, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe we can get a good Dawn of the New World?

By the by, how does Bersy rate on "sticking with it's theme"? From a scale of Zesty(worst) to Symphonia(best)?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
RPGs usually are ripe for a good sequel since most of them tend to end with the world recovering from a massive change in either threat or government and seeing the fallout after that is always an interesting concept not explored enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh my only idea for a vesperia sequel is duke is the protag, gauche, droite, and nan are the 3 core party members and it's mostly about awkwardly trying to navigate a changing world when you were on the wrong side of the change

i don't even like vesperia that much but that seems like an actual interesting idea for a game

Junpei posted:

Maybe we can get a good Dawn of the New World?

By the by, how does Bersy rate on "sticking with it's theme"? From a scale of Zesty(worst) to Symphonia(best)?
i'd argue vesperia or graces is the worst at sticking with its theme (vesperia drops the 'who should enforce justice' thing in the third act, graces is basically never about the strength to protect and is more about bonds and found families vs your real family) and abyss is the best (everything feeds back into the meaning of luke's birth)

Anyway, it pretty much sticks to what it sets out from beginning to end. There are some minor plot detours that seem to mostly exist to fill time but Arty fills exactly the role you'd expect him to fill and the game is about Velvet trying to kill him and the people she meets along the way, how they affect her, and how she affects them. Laphicet gets increasingly more focus as the game goes on but he never really takes away Velvet's role as protagonist, he's just the more dynamic character of the two, being a kid with room to grow vs a grown woman that was stuck in a pit eating rats and werewolves for three years. The emotion vs reason thing isn't really trotted out every single conversation, but it's clearly one of the game's core focuses and the ending makes a clear statement on where it stands with regards to that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

tbh my only idea for a vesperia sequel is duke is the protag, gauche, droite, and nan are the 3 core party members and it's mostly about awkwardly trying to navigate a changing world when you were on the wrong side of the change

i don't even like vesperia that much but that seems like an actual interesting idea for a game

i'd argue vesperia or graces is the worst at sticking with its theme (vesperia drops the 'who should enforce justice' thing in the third act, graces is basically never about the strength to protect and is more about bonds and found families vs your real family) and abyss is the best (everything feeds back into the meaning of luke's birth)

Anyway, it pretty much sticks to what it sets out from beginning to end. There are some minor plot detours that seem to mostly exist to fill time but Arty fills exactly the role you'd expect him to fill and the game is about Velvet trying to kill him and the people she meets along the way, how they affect her, and how she affects them. The emotion vs reason thing isn't really trotted out every single conversation, but it's clearly one of the game's core focuses and the ending makes a clear statement on where it stands with regards to that.

Berseria sticks to "be yourself and don't let anyone tell you otherwise" pretty well though which is its other stated theme (well, the genre, or whatever). The "detours" are still about that, like the thing with Sir Hawke Griffin, or the fishing trip.