Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nate RFB posted:

I'm thinking of going through Symphonia again someday (trying for new titles and whatever), but one thing that always bothered me is that I never got to fight Abyssion after I got all the Devil's Arms. He wasn't where he was supposed to be when I checked at the end of the game, so I figured I had somehow missed out on the quest. Is that quest only completable for a limited time?

Are you sure you have ALL the Devil Arms? Did you go to that snowy city to meet up with that dude? Is your party "complete"? Have you fought Kratos in that one forest and getting all the summons bar Maxwell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I FAQ-ed the poo poo out of Symphonia after I beat it and tried to do as many sidequests as possible at the end-game. So I got all of the Devil Arms, went to the supposed location, but oops! Not there. It's been a while since I pulled my save up so I guess it's possible I missed a Devil's Arm (I was sure I hadn't though...), or maybe I got it mixed up and checked the location first and then got the Arms or something stupid like that. If it's not a quest that is time-limited, then that's fine, I'll just do it properly in my next play through.
Well, try to equip everyone with a Devil Arm. Can you? If so, then ok, maybe you had already spoken with Abyssion and he's waiting for you in hte very bottom of the Shadow Temple.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

WingsOfSteel posted:

Bad advice. Abyss had this glitch, so I'm not sure if it was in Symphonia, but if you had one of the special weapons equipped, it wouldn't show up in your inventory, and thus you couldn't trigger certain events.

and RE: mune

I guess people are comparing Abyss' story to other RPGs? Because while I agree the story's no great shakes on its own, I think in the context of an RPG, it's kind of refreshing how it avoids certain cliches. The plot as a whole is as jumbled a mess as any other RPG, but unlike other RPGs, there were more plot segments where I could say, "Oh, hey, that was a pretty interesting," and tiny parts of the game that surprised me by avoiding a certain cliche fairly well.

IMO, Abyss didn't have a good story, but it was at least a decent first draft, which is more than I'm willing to say for most RPGs.

e: And I mostly play RPGs for the battle system, so the story could have been poo poo, and I'd still have enjoyed the hell out of Abyss.

There's no glitch like that in Symphonia as far as I recall.
And yeah, taking into account there being a Sword and Dagger DA, there's a total of nine. After collecting them all talk to Abyssion in that snowy city, then meet him up in the very bottom of the temple where you fought Shade with plenty of Gels and Life Bottles.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lyrax posted:

I dunno what I found so different about it, but I didn't play much of Abyss. I friggin adore Symphonia, all of it. I've played over the game countless times, getting every ending. Collected everything, collected nothing. Normal route, "hard" route. But I could never get into Abyss or any other Tales game no matter how hard I tried. Symphonia seems to be the only Tales game I truly enjoy and I am totally stoked for the sequel.

Anyone know why this may be?

They say ToS2 is not very good, but I thought ToS was a great game and I'm really looking forward to it.
It's even better if you imagine the game IS a parody and the characters are about to burst out laughing every time they say one of their lines.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Has anyone played ToS2? Is it any good? From what I've seen of videos, it seems ok, but the game limits you so much in the character department, it sounds kind of sucky.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, and I did not like it. It clearly didn't have anywhere near the production resources of a full blown Tales game. I did enjoy it more than that PSP Tales game though, but that's not saying much.

Son of a bitch. I hope they at least tightened the controls a bit before releasing it over here, since people say they are wonky.
Still, the music is kind of awesome as far as I've heard. Downloaded the final boss music and it's pretty good, and even though most of the music is carried over from ToS, they're all remixed into some rockin' themes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

I've only played the demo so far. Is the OL bar shared by all the characters? I remember in Abyss it was per character. Also can only one character at a time go into Overlimit?

One single bar, four levels, shared by all characters.
Theoretically, all four characters in your party can go into overlimit. It's actually a new mechanic; when you equip a certain number of Skills on a character, they gain an extra skill during Overlimit (be it added strength, defense, mobility and I'm guessing magic). So you could have it so Yuri gains extra strength during overlimit and Estelle gets extra defense.
Now, when you go into overlimit, any other character that is Overlimiting will also gain the other character's skill, so you can have both Yuri and Estelle with extra strength and defense.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Xythar posted:

5-10 hours maybe? There's about three more dungeons after Zaude.

In other words, an entire third of the game plus sidequests

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kegwen posted:

Wow. That's a lot more than I'd expected. They were using end-of-game kind of language

Yeah, they even have one of those clichéd conversations before fighting the boss of that area ("I learned I want to protect the world because I care about my friends bla bla bla", stuff like that).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kegwen posted:

What, really? I'm in Zaude at a mere 31 hours

If you don't know what you're doing, and you're not high enough in levels, you'll definitely round that number up to a 40.

Fine, I'm exaggerating, but still. There's a couple of tough bosses in there and a fairly lengthy Gigantor Monster that's blocking a weapon for Estelle that grants her her Mystic Arte plus some nice armor, so you might have to consider running back to a town to restock on supplies before facing the final boss.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

That Giganto is actually pretty weak. The problem is that it deflects normal attacks like crazy. :kratos:

Which is the biggest problem in Zaude; running out of Orange Gels.
Also, those crab monsters are really loving strong. Sucks to get surrounded by them.
I've almost killed all GMs. I'm only missing Chimera Butterfly, Griffin, and Bruscis.
Karol's Valiant Swordsman title looks pretty cool, so looking forward to that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

His Golden Soldier outfit is a cool reference and it looks good. :colbert:

Reference to what?
Also, I wish the scene in Heliord with the girly dress was voiced.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. I do believe the Blue Crystal Rod is also a reference to it.

Hasn't there been a Blue Crystal Rod/Blue Line Shield in every Namco game ever?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Xythar posted:

What you should be observing is that Namco enjoy plugging their own games in every game they have ever made or published.

Well, I think they're more like references rather than plugging.
I mean, they're not telling me "Blue Crystal Rod: Just like in the Tower of Druaga series found exclusively for X Console for $59.99", it's just a little blurb related somewhat to the game and that's it.
Kind of like how Kratos/Zelos's best equipment set in ToS was one big reference to Gilgamesh (if you equip the Blue Line Shield, Golden Armor, Golden Helm, and Hyper Boots you get the "Gilgamesh" title for Zelos).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So, any further ToS2 impressions? I'm really debating whether to buy this game or not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

was Legendia any good? I haven't heard much about it.

It's considered the worst Tales game from what I've read.
It also looks like a last-generation PS1 game.

I just beat Tales of Vesperia and fought the Fell Arms boss. Got really lucky. Girlfriend and I managed to pull off Estelle's Eternal Support + Force Field combo so that battle was a joke.
What a great game. Loved the ending.
Loved all the cartoony scenes of people inventing technology, Rita creating fuels, Witcher harnessing electricity, the Schwann Brigade still doing their thang, Estelle effectively writing the Tales of Vesperia, Karol adding the Brave Vesperia symbol to the Don's chambers... it's all so complete
All in all, a satisfying ending.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Syvalion posted:

Legendia is basically the game everyone forgets about when they think of the Tales series. For good reason: backwards combat, weirdly paced story, and characters who are just not at all appealing (note how they never went back to that particular designer). It'd be the black sheep of the series if not for Tales of the Tempest's existence.

Hey, at least his characters looked different. All of Keisuke Fujishima's characters look pretty much exactly the same.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Eddain posted:

It worked for Dragon Quest! Hell, Dragon Quest VIII even featured some super saiyans.

I feel Toriyama's strength lies in his ability to design some original looking monsters; be they cute or mean-looking.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cliff posted:

Ratatosk is actually part of Norse mythology (a squirrel or something that lived in Yggdrasil, the tree of life), as is Ginuungagaap, which will always make you laugh. Don't know about Tenebrae, but I assume it's Norse as well.

Also, the Lloyd thing won't get resolved until the beginning of the final chapter. Until then, he'll just act like a huge douche to his friends :hellyeah:

Pretty sure Tenebrae is latin for "creepy" or somesuch. The word "tenebroso" exists in spanish and means just that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BurningCourage posted:

One thing of note is that the CG movie edition of ToH seems to have been a failed experiment. It sold about 14k on the first day opposed to the anime movie edition's over 100k. Not only that, the back of the CG edition's box has very small screenshots of the CG itself whereas anime cutscenes are prominent on the anime edition's box, as well as the artwork for the two lead characters. I also believe that they stopped running commercials for the CG edition in Japan prior to the game's release.

To be fair, the CG edition's style is embarrassingly bad. It's no wonder it didn't sell at all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vyse_23 posted:

How difficult would it be to understand for someone with zero kanji experience?

VVV Yuri is a large departure from the typical RPG protagonist in that he's actually rather intelligent and remains pretty intelligent for most of the game. I can't remember any emo from the game, but I don't know where you are, so I can't say for certain.

Estelle and Judith get some slight emo moments, but they are completely awesome, while Rita's emo moments are optional and part of a sidequest
Yuri remains awesome throughout the whole game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I got Tos2 for Christmas. Is there anything I should know before I start playing the game? Is there anything permanently missable?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jesus Christ, I have never wanted to punch a video game character in the face so hard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I really like the animation in this game. They're very fluid, even though the graphics are lovely.
Emil deserves a good punch to the face, but he's one quick, aerial bastard; way different than Yuri's slow, combo-ey self.
I'm starting to get the hang of the monster system. Right now I have a Fenrir and a Werebear I use all the time and they are hell of strong.
Also, abusing the Quest system so you get better weapons/armors easily breaks the game, seeing how the rewards are randomized each time you speak with the Katz and can just speak with him until the rewards are swords you're not even supposed to get in that chapter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BurningCourage posted:

I think they actually used mo-cap for ToS2, unlike with the other 3d Tales games which were hand-animated.

I noticed. Sometimes the textures freak out during more complex animations, though, like Marta or Richter's hair or Colette's dress.

quote:

The weapon/armor rewards from quests stop being good once you can synth better items. I went for synth materials/manuscripts later on. S ranks give you Silver Manuscripts, which are like a free 50k exp for a monster.
I got a Black Sword in Chapter 3. They are not normally available until Chapter 6. It's awesome.

Also, do weapons teach abilities like in ToV? I really haven't been able to figure that out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goddamn I missed out on the Twilight Palace dungeon. loving SEND LUNCH TO MY HUSBAND quests flooding the queue.

So right now I've got a Fenrir (absolutely beastly, seems to gain a level every fight) and a Wolf Heddir (could be better) and Marta and Emil are very light in magic and I'm wondering, what's a good magic-based monster for my team, and where can I find one?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy poo poo ToS 2 gets downright mean by the end.

So you're telling me Emil is a summon spirit inhabiting the body of a kid he brutally murdered, filled with the memories of another dead kid, and he plans on having his new friends and the love of his life murder him so he can act as a seal to prevent demons from destroying the Earth? Pretty heavy stuff, considering how lighthearted most of the game had been.

Also, what was the deal with the Masks Lloyd kept dropping throughout the game? I got two, but they never had any function. Were they just for show? Why was Lloyd wearing them?

I got the good ending, I think (Emil and Marta got new titles after the ending movie). What happens in the other endings?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

You don't get the scene where Emil and Marta get new titles at the ending if you do that.

Also, Tales of Symphonia has some pretty brutal stuff too - I really feel sorry for every one of the Four Seraphim.

And most of the stuff is optional. I mean, you find out Yuan was Martel's fiance by way of a completely random sidequest.
Also, I read that if you follow the timeline of events, Regal's girlfriend was 11 and he was 16 when he killed her or something like that.
Little things like that help cement the fact that even if ToS is the epitome of clichés, it's still pretty tragic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EngineerSean posted:

I'd really like to know about this one, we always figured that they were something like 20 and 18 or something. 16 and 11 is a little wierd.

Edit: I think I just figured it out. Since Presea was the older sister and she looks 12, Alicia must have been younger than that, but was she killed shortly after Presea was frozen in age or maybe some years after?

I interpret it as before being frozen, since she was aware of what had happened.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

This is kind of traditional in JRPGs.

Not to mention Mystic Artes in this game are ridiculously overpowered. At least in Symphonia 2 you need to be high-leveled for them to be as powerful as the ones in Vesperia.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

They seem reasonably powerful enough. Yuri's isn't that great until you get Hit Plus, and Rita and Estelle's are one big hit. You might be thrown off by the Burst Artes you supplement them with, especially all of Rita's Drives which are ri-loving-diculous at level 4.

Not to mention the X Tension line of Skills give Yuri unlimited Overlimits with some simple Arte planning.

Pulling off a 150 combo with Mystic Arte against a Gigantor is great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

that's loving lovely, and no wonder I couldn't do it, I was trying after that part.

After he loses it Devil's Hellfire becomes really, really strong so it's a good trade-off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

For what it's worth, I was similarly disappointed when I found out about Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage, a direct sequel to Phantasia (which is my favorite of the series), which came out for GBA in Japan and didn't come stateside. I've tried slogging through the game, but it's a Tales SRPG and my Japanese reading speed isn't fast enough for that volume of text yet. :(
So that's four games set in the Tethe'alla/Sylvarant universe?

Which brings up another point: Doesn't Tales of Phantasia take place after Symphonia 1/2? How can there still be Mana in the world? Wasn't Rattatosk going to use it all up to seal Niflheim? It kind of makes me sad because that means all of Emil and Marta's journey was for nothing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

You know, I really hope the next console Tales game has online co-op. I know with ToV that I would have really liked to hop in to some of my friend's games to play with them.

Next Tales game is going to be Wii-based, so you might want to sit down.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
God knows that game made me buy a 360.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Eddain posted:

Same here, actually. So far it's best a great investment since I've dropped over 120+ hours into the game already.

Star Ocean 4 is also coming out in about a month. It lacks that distinctive Tales feel but it's close enough to keep me satisfied.

SO4 does indeed look really awesome. Never played an SO game before, though. How do they play?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
SON OF A BITCH

I would buy this game again, no doubt, if they ported the enhanced PS3 version to the 360.
As it is, I doubt they will, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I'd say it was more of a "B" fighting team mixed with a "Z-" writing team. For some reason fighting with Emil felt much more fluid than ToS or ToA (which are the only other Tales games I've played, I admit).

Yeah, Emile was pretty fun to control and the gameplay itself wasn't bad.
Everything else sucked, though.

Tales of Graces is looking very good. Hope it has costumes and accessories for the big dumb girl inside all of us.
Also, I hope the main character's out-of-battle-model sword and sheathe change depending what he has equipped (ala Yuri)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Who's designing the Tales of Graces characters? I mean, all we've seen is some not-very-detailed videos with no actual artwork, and I'm curious as to who designed the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Inomata Mutsumi, I believe, same as Tales of Destiny, Rebirth, Eternia, and others. The majority of Tales games that she does the designs for don't make it to the US...

No way would Nintendo allow a high profile RPG not reach America.
Would they?
God, those dicks would totally do that.

They brought ToS2 over, and that game sold pretty well, didn't it?