Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Wow, if Tales of the Abyss is the best game of the series, I am staying far, far away from everything else in this series.

Tales of the Abyss had one of the worst storylines ever. I appreciate the effort but it really was terrible. Jade Curtiss, a good character? Please, there were no good characters in that game. If it had an event skip it may have been tolerable, but I finished it just to say that I finished it. I would say that the extra scenes you could view if you pressed select were the best parts of the game.

I really don't see how someone could say Tales of the Abyss had a good story. It had a good battle system, one which took far too long to load on the overworld. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, and that I'm the only one who found this game insufferably retarded with a decent combat system. At least Star Ocean 3 had good characters (if a similarly terrible plot)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Look, if you want to talk about insufferably retarded, I don't think most people finish 80 hour games just to say they finished them and then come into appreciation threads to hate on them.

I mean what the hell? Did you play it just to hate it?

I'm trying to understand what was so great about the story. I played it all the way through hoping it would get better. There were a couple okay parts, like about halfway during the game with (Luke's 'transformation') and I will actually admit that it is a realistic one in that he stumbles along the way and it takes awhile

I didn't finish it to say I finished it. I played through the game twice, actually, because I found the battle system to be pretty good.

I will take a step back and say that I was probably a little too vitriolic. I had just read on these boards earlier that "ABYSS IS SO GREAT GODDDD YOU'VE GOT TO GET IT" and I don't think the result matched my expectations. I would say for a jRPG it was above average, but I really don't think it's the second coming of Christ. Again, these comments aren't directed at posters in this thread but posters of previous threads that made it seem that way.

I really am trying to understand what makes the game so good, though, and honestly that's why I posted in this thread. I feel like many of the characters were ridiculous anime cutout stereotypes. Anise and Jade were the biggest culprits in this category. I feel like Guy, Luke, Tear, Ion, and the villains (especially Ash, Largo and Van ) were the only characters with real development. And I will say that I did skip Anise's scenes as much as possible, because I hate that voice.

Looking back on it, the game is actually pretty good, so I apologize for my scathing remarks earlier- they were admittedly undeserved. That being said, I don't think that any of my comments here were off base at all.

mune fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 21, 2008