Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name. Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

L/R quibbles and the kangaroo travesty aside, the DeJap translation is pretty notorious for pretty frequently having absolutely zero relation to the original text. While polishing the script so it's actually, you know, good is a fine and dandy thing to do, I'd like it to actually be a translation rather than people making poo poo up. Like the 'fucks like a tiger' line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The GBA version translates that line as "Mint and Arche, who else!? So, which one are you after? Mint... She's prim and proper. I like that in a girl. Arche on the other hand... She's a little firebrand. It's hard to turn your back on a girl like that!"

I can't say how much more accurate that is, but that line seems a lot more in keeping with the feel of the game and the other is just vulgarity and 'edginess' for the sake of it. The GBA version's problems lie more in lack of polish and proofreading than with actual errors. The 'fucks like a tiger' line strikes me as intended for/written by the 'wow, FF7 has SWEARS in it, all of these untranslated games must be dirty as hell!' set. Considering the dejap translation was done in 1999, the time is about right for that to still be the sentiment.